Page 2 of 3 <123>
Topic Options
#1226255 - Mon Jul 09 2018 08:11 PM Re: Steve Ditko dies [Re: Pariah]
Wonder Boy
Online   content brutally Kamphausened

Loc: A glorious bold new America
I wonder if Ditko ever met or had a personal relationship with Ayn Rand.

I know Ditko left DC abruptly because he was really ticked off about the way Dennis O'Neil, Steve Skeates and editor Dick Giordano on both books re-interpreted his intended vision for HAWK AND THE DOVE and THE CREEPER, to the point he left both series very suddenly, and Jack Sparling was brought in (uncredited) to finish pencils on the last half of CREEPER issue 6, the last issue of the series. And Gil Kane finished issues 3-6 of HAWK AND THE DOVE.

I can't imagine Ditko was overly pleased with Dennis O'Neil being selected in 1987 to revive THE QUESTION, another Ditko character. A run I actually enjoyed quite a bit. But definitely more "Zen" than Ayn Rand.

Ditko wasn't the most visible creator, but he quietly created a lot of characters over the last 50-plus years, that have continued or been revived by other hands after he moved on.

#1226256 - Mon Jul 09 2018 08:44 PM Re: Steve Ditko dies [Re: Wonder Boy]
Wonder Boy

What a cool Ditko tribute!
A cover that's an amalgam of most of his characters, using a modified version of the DETECTIVE COMICS logo.

And the first page of SHOWCASE 73, presenting the Creeper's origin in 1968. That I first saw reprinted in DETECTIVE COMICS 443 in 1974. Making BEWARE THE CREEPER 1-6 (1968-1969) among the most sought after back issues for me for the roughly 10 years it took me to complete my run.

#1226277 - Wed Jul 11 2018 07:04 PM Re: Steve Ditko dies [Re: Wonder Boy]
Lothar of The Hill People
Offline brother from another mother

Loc: Way back in the woods.
Good
Glad he's dead.
Always hated that guy.

Don't make old people mad.We don't like being old in the first place so it doesn't take much to piss us off!

“I'm about to do something very clever and a tiny bit against the rules of the universe. It's important that
I'm properly dressed.” Doctor Who

If you’re Gonna fight, fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark… and brother, it's startin' to rain.”
― Christopher Woods,

I can tell by the position of the sun in the sky, that is time for us to go. Until next time, I am Lothar of the Hill People!

#1226314 - Thu Jul 12 2018 08:18 PM Re: Steve Ditko dies [Re: Lothar of The Hill People]
the G-man
Offline Officially "too old for this shit"

Loc: the right
 Originally Posted By: Lothar of The Hill People
Good
Glad he's dead.
Always hated that guy.

Ladies and gentlemen, Mr. Stan Lee.

#1226315 - Thu Jul 12 2018 10:31 PM Re: Steve Ditko dies [Re: the G-man]
Wonder Boy

\:lol\:

In the cases of both Steve Ditko and Jack Kirby, Stan Lee took credit for writing, ideas, characters and storytelling that was actually done by the artists. Reading ORIGINS OF MARVEL COMICS or SON OF ORIGINS or BRING ON THE BAD GUYS, Lee was the brilliant fountain of ideas who conceptualized everything, and handed down like manna from Heaven stories fully formed for Kirby and Ditko to draw.

I don't think it's so much hatred, as that Stan Lee didn't want Ditko vocally exposing the truth. And I think Lee was pretty safe on that ground, as Ditko was uniquely reclusive and unlikely to do interviews. I think it was only through friends in the comics field that Ditko talked to about it that we, the fans and the fan press, even know what happened that Ditko left Marvel in 1966. I get the impression it was much easier for Lee to make peace with Ditko, and that he never was able to make peace with Jack Kirby.

And I wonder how many other artists Lee stole the credit from.
Don Heck on Iron Man?
Gene Colan on DAREDEVIL?
Bill Everett?
John Buscema on SILVER SURFER or THOR?

Lee pretty much stopped writing in 1972, and became more of a figurehead at Marvel, before finally becoming Marvel's Hollywood/licensing guy. But I've only ever heard of him screwing over Kirby and Ditko.

#1226401 - Fri Jul 20 2018 10:18 PM Re: Steve Ditko dies [Re: Wonder Boy]
Wonder Boy

It occurs to me that Ditko, like Kirby, created an enormous amount of new series and characters.

As compared to, say, Neal Adams, another giant in the field. Adams worked almost exclusively on established characters like the Spectre, Deadman, Batman, X-Men, Avengers, Green Lantern/Green Arrow, Inhumans.
The one exception being Adams' Continuity characters in the 1980's that weren't particularly memorable, and echo the characters Adams worked on for DC in the late 1960's/early 1970's. Rather than creating new characters, Adams' innovation was more a refining of existing characters, and portraying them in a more "realistic" way. Or artwork more ornately detailed, if not more realistic. Adams' innovation was to create more of a visual style, that obviously many have imitated since.

Ditko also has a very distinct visual style. The splash pages on his pre-Marvel monster stories are very striking and atmospheric. Some of which I've thought of making enlarged copies of and framing. Along with Kirby he was an innovator with a lot of new ideas, characters, and series, but I think I love most his anthology stories.

And have a complete run of his stories in TALES OF SUSPENSE and TALES TO ASTONISH in Marvel Masterworks hardcovers. As well as tons more in 1970's reprints like WHERE CREATURES ROAM, WHERE MONSTERS DWELL, CREATURES ON THE LOOSE, MONSTERS ON THE PROWL, FEAR, and so forth.

#1226402 - Fri Jul 20 2018 10:36 PM Re: Steve Ditko dies [Re: Wonder Boy]
Wonder Boy

#1226426 - Mon Jul 23 2018 03:04 PM Re: Steve Ditko dies [Re: Wonder Boy]
Wonder Boy

A personal recollection of Steve Ditko by Chuck Dixon:

http://www.chuckdixon.net/2018/07/steve-ditko.html

While Dixon probably speaks for the majority, I much preferred Ditko's pre-Marvel work, and Doctor Strange. And my favorite series work by Ditko was on THE CREEPER.

While pretty much everyone cites Spider-man as their favorite, I felt Ditko's greatest gift was the surrealism he brought to comics. What I liked best in Spider-man was his introvertedness, and sense of being shunned and rejected, even when he wasn't. That lack of confidence and angst I think every reader could relate to, particularly every adolescent and teenage reader. And it's quite a display of Ditko's range of artistic ability that he was simultaneously doing a very real-world introspective SPIDER-MAN at the same time he was doing a very other-worldly surrealistic DOCTOR STRANGE. Both those series are at their absolute best when their creators look back to the original Ditko model (I think on DOCTOR STRANGE 46 and 48-73, the issues scripted by Roger Stern. And likewise the Stern issues of AMAZING SPIDERMAN 224-251, and by Mantlo/Hannigan in SPECTACULAR SPIDERMAN 60-72. Although there are a number of other great runs on Spider-man titles.)

#1226427 - Mon Jul 23 2018 03:12 PM Re: Steve Ditko dies [Re: Wonder Boy]
Wonder Boy

And here's another blog with two complete pre-Marvel Ditko stories for your reading pleasure.

http://belatednerd.com/tag/steve-ditko/

#1226605 - Sun Aug 19 2018 11:56 PM Re: Steve Ditko dies [Re: the G-man]
Lothar of The Hill People
Offline brother from another mother

Loc: Way back in the woods.
 Originally Posted By: the G-man
 Originally Posted By: Lothar of The Hill People
Good
Glad he's dead.
Always hated that guy.

Ladies and gentlemen, Mr. Stan Lee.

\:lol\:

Don't make old people mad.We don't like being old in the first place so it doesn't take much to piss us off!

“I'm about to do something very clever and a tiny bit against the rules of the universe. It's important that
I'm properly dressed.” Doctor Who

If you’re Gonna fight, fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark… and brother, it's startin' to rain.”
― Christopher Woods,

I can tell by the position of the sun in the sky, that is time for us to go. Until next time, I am Lothar of the Hill People!

Page 2 of 3 <123>

Hop to:
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Forum Stats
3009 Members
14 Forums
65518 Topics
1187005 Posts

Max Online: 1242 @ Thu Mar 31 2016 02:41 PM
New Topics
It's not because you're getting older, the new music just SUCKS!
by Wonder Boy
Cavill out as Superman
by the G-man
A really interesting look at comic book sales from the 1960's through the 1980's
by Wonder Boy
Warner Bros, HBO, DC entertainment rolls out diversity and inclusion policy
by the G-man
"The Munsters" TV show documentary
by Wonder Boy
Who Owns the World?
by Wonder Boy
"Secrets hidden in Antarctica" documentary
by Wonder Boy
"Sirius" documentary on UFO's, Dr Steven Greer
by Wonder Boy
Why the Broken Basement Bandit stopped posting.
by McGurk
‘ER’ Actress Vanessa Marquez Shot and Killed by South Pasadena PD Officer
by Lothar of The Hill People