Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Topic Options
#176958 - Wed Feb 04 2004 04:09 AM Re: Whatever happened to Kelly Jones? [Re: Grimm]
First Amongst Daves
Offline Banned from the DCMBs since 2002.

Can't say I like the art. A bit messy.

Pimping my site, again.

http://www.worldcomicbookreview.com

#176959 - Wed Feb 04 2004 12:28 PM Re: Whatever happened to Kelly Jones? [Re: First Amongst Daves]
Im Not Mister Mxyzptlk
Offline devil-lovin' Bat-Man

Loc: Jacques Brel
Do you like what he did for Sandman?

#176960 - Thu Feb 05 2004 07:49 AM Re: Whatever happened to Kelly Jones? [Re: Im Not Mister Mxyzptlk]
Wonder Boy
Offline brutally Kamphausened

Loc: A glorious bold new America
I loved the SANDMAN issues he did.

Issues 17, 18, and 22-24, if I recall correctly (collected in the DREAM COUNTRY and SEASON OF MISTS trade collections of the series).

The part I enjoyed most about SANDMAN was its attempt to bring all the DC mystery books, and characters who hosted the books, all together into one unified continuity. Alan Moore started to do this in SWAMP THING 21-50, and Neil Gaiman expanded on this in SANDMAN.

And Kelley Jones' art, being very detailed and a bit Wrightson-esque at the time, created a nice visual continuity with the style of the 70's mystery books, that helped to pull it off.

While also simultaneously expanding into a modern style of horror.

--------------------

"This Man, This Wonder Boy..."

#176961 - Thu Feb 05 2004 05:11 PM Re: Whatever happened to Kelly Jones? [Re: Wonder Boy]
Im Not Mister Mxyzptlk

Didn't he ink the first few issues too?

#176962 - Thu Feb 05 2004 06:17 PM Re: Whatever happened to Kelly Jones? [Re: Im Not Mister Mxyzptlk]
Wonder Boy

I dug out my trade for you, Mxy.

Issues 1-4 were Sam Keith pencils, Mike Dringenberg inks.

Issue 5 is Sam Keith pencils, Malcolm Jones inks

Issues 6-8 are Mike Dringenberg pencils/Malcolm Jones inks.

The Sam Keith art, like Kelley Jones' art, is similarly Wrightsonesque

Especially nice and Wrightsoneque is Sam Keith's double-page spread of Hell and its crawling-dead minions in issue 4, pages 12 and 13.
Especially inked in a way that doesn't look like most of Sam Keith's other work, I can see them being mistaken for Kelley Jones.

But to answer your question, no, these early issues are not Kelley Jones.

--------------------

#176963 - Thu Feb 05 2004 08:06 PM Re: Whatever happened to Kelly Jones? [Re: Wonder Boy]
Im Not Mister Mxyzptlk

Oh. I thought it was Jones for a sec because the styles are similar. Then I looked it and saw "Jones" was inking and thought "that explains it".

#176964 - Fri Feb 06 2004 12:19 AM Re: Whatever happened to Kelly Jones? [Re: Im Not Mister Mxyzptlk]
First Amongst Daves
Offline Banned from the DCMBs since 2002.

Quote:

I'm Not Mister Mxypltk said:
Do you like what he did for Sandman?

While I liked the issues, I hated the art. I thought his impression of Dream was decent enough, but otherwise thought ithe art was very weak and watery.

Pimping my site, again.

http://www.worldcomicbookreview.com

#176965 - Fri Feb 06 2004 09:01 AM Re: Whatever happened to Kelly Jones? [Re: First Amongst Daves]
Wonder Boy

Kelley Jones' DEADMAN: LOVE AFTER DEATH two-issue series with Mike Baron, in 1989-1990, is where I first noticed him having a pleasant and distinctive style.

The interview I linked sheds some light on this series. I didn't know that Kelley Jones had previously illustrated Deadman in ACTION COMICS WEEKLY, prior to this two-issue series.

And before that, I'd seen Kelley Jones ink stuff for Marvel, and maybe pencils too. (inking Guice in the later issues of the first MICRONAUTS series. I think the second MICRONAUTS series was where I'd first seen his pencils, around 1984-1985 )
And from what he said in the interview, his work wasn't liked at Marvel, and they actually changed his art to keep his style from being visible.

But regardless, when he got to DC, he was ready to do some of his best work.

--------------------

#176966 - Fri Feb 06 2004 09:28 AM Re: Whatever happened to Kelly Jones? [Re: Wonder Boy]
Wonder Boy

Jones followed up this series nicely, with the DEADMAN: EXORCISM two-issue series in 1992:

~

I don't have the trade, since I already have all the issues, but I believe both are collected in the 1995 trade DEADMAN: LOST SOULS.

#176967 - Sat Feb 07 2004 04:13 PM Re: Whatever happened to Kelly Jones? [Re: Wonder Boy]
Wonder Boy

It was a nice treat after Kelley Jones' great work on DEADMAN, to have a Deadman crossover in three issues of his BATMAN run, in issues 530-532.

And while I'm generally very negative on the idea of multiple covers, die-cuts, chromium cuts, trading card inserts and whatever, which generally are really trashy gimmicks, there was one regular cover and one glow-in-the-dark-cover for each issue of this three-issue story, and they were cool !
The glow-in-the-dark art really worked with two creepy characters like Deadman and Batman, and the phantoms they were fighting.

I already showed a few of these covers. Here are the
(1)regular
and
(2) glow-in-the-dark covers, respectively, for issue 530 again:

Clicking on each for larger/clearer image of the latter cover, you can better make out the glow-in-the-dark parts of the image.

And here are the regular and glow-in-the-dark-enhanced covers for 531:

Again, the larger/clearer image of this glow-in the dark cover makes the glow-in-the dark portion more visible.
It's harder to see on this one, but it's mostly the mummies with the glow-stuff, and you can definitely appreciate it with the lights out !

And the two variant covers for 532:

I like this last one the best of the three, both with and without the glow-in-the-dark features.

I've seen color overlays that have a similar effect, such as in the early Levitz/Giffen LEGION ( issues 287-306, and 1982 annual), and in the Roger Stern/Marshall Rogers DOCTOR STRANGE (issues 48-53, also out in 1981-1982).

But this is the first and only time I've seen glow-in-the-dark overlays. And again, it really works well with ghost characters.
I don't know if Kelley Jones is the one who came up with the glow-in-the-dark color overlays, but it demonstrates imagination and is visually striking, whoever came up with it.

Page 3 of 5 <12345>

Hop to:
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Stats
3010 Members
14 Forums
65546 Topics
1187520 Posts

Max Online: 1242 @ Thu Mar 31 2016 02:41 PM
New Topics
Stan Lee dead at 95!
by LLance
The rain didn't stop Obama
by Matter-eater Man
Savage reviews
by Wonder Boy
26 year old girl murdered her abusive mother, father says of mother "She asked for what she got"
by Wonder Boy
Democrats take the House
by Matter-eater Man
Is the New 52 Superman back?
by Lothar of The Hill People
Best movies of all time about New York City
by Wonder Boy
Antisemitic shooter kills 11 in Pittsburgh synagogue
by Wonder Boy
John A. McCone, CIA director, 1961-1965
by Wonder Boy
Soros, Clinton, Obama, CNN, Wasserman-Schultz all mailed pipe-bombs