RKMBs
http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/10/netflix-epix-deal-is-official-paramount-mgm-and-lionsgate-mov/

This means all the Marvel movies and Batman movies should be showing up on September 1st.
 Originally Posted By: rex
http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/10/netflix-epix-deal-is-official-paramount-mgm-and-lionsgate-mov/

This means all the Marvel movies and Batman movies should be showing up on September 1st.

Batman is Warner Bros. Not MGM, Paramount, or Lionsgate.
Isn't Lionsgate the studio that made the newest Batman movies? I thought they were distributed through WB.
Warner Bros & Legendary Pictures
yeah. For some reason I got Legendary Pictures and Lionsgate mixed up.
Two examples of Lionsgate are American Psycho and Kick Ass.
And mad men, which everyone should be watching.
Legendary is a production company only. Lionsgate produces, but mostly it's a distributor.
They must be black, because they all look the same to me.
That's because your eyes are defective.
I'm sorry for smoking all that crack near your mother.
I'm laughing around you...
Lots of new stuff today! The first five Friday the 13ths, The Running Man, Raw Deal, and many more!
Also there are a decent amount of newer movies, but only Benjemin Button new.
HOLEY SHIT! STAR TREK 2010, and IRON MAN!

also, Blood Simple.

Blood Simple is the first Cohen brothers film. excellent.
 Originally Posted By: Ultimate Jaburg53
HOLEY SHIT! STAR TREK 2010, and IRON MAN!

The Godfather trilogy is on it as well. I've never seen them.

Neither have I, put them right on my queue.

You can easily skip the third. It's basically the "Crystal Skull" of Godfather movies.
godfather three gets a bad rep. it's a good film, it's just not a good godfather.

one and two are epic, particularly the second. must-see type films, as well as instant-love. there are dated elements, like a slower pacing, so be warned of that a bit. however, they're both awesome.
SPOILERS!
G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra is also up as well. I think I'll watch that first.

Neither have I, put them right on my queue.

ewwww
G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra is also up as well. I think I'll watch that first.

Dear God! It was horrible!
\:\)
It raped my childhood.
it was the Pete Townsend of 80's remakes!
GI Joe was researching a book, goddammit.
It wasn't even a Michael Jackson childhood rape where you at least got to go an an amusement park ride and pet a chimp. It was the windowless van that promised a puppy that wasn't there.
Yeah.That's always a bummer,man.
Showgirls is also on streaming now, for those of you that are twelve years old and the internet hasn't been invented yet.
Canada got netflix streaming today....they have Mad Men and Superbad. I hope that means we'll get those soon.
http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/24/netflix-nbc-universal-content-deal-brings-battlestar-galactica/

Quote:
Just in case a throwaway mention of a streaming-only subscription for US customers wasn't enough, an agreement adding plenty of recognizable content from NBC to its Watch Instantly service might help Netflix distract from a recent string of PR gaffes. Starting next week, cable shows from the media giant's stable like Psych, Battlestar Galactica and others, episodes from the most recent seasons of NBC shows including The Office and 30 Rock will be available. Not good enough? Why not throw in every season of Friday Night Lights and Saturday Night Live, with new eps of SNL added the day after they air for the next three years. Seems like a win/win to us, with many hours of new content for Netflix while NBC cashes a fat check for old seasons of Monk and Law & Order:SVU -- as much as we love Tony Shalhoub as a neurotic private investigator, those DVD boxed sets just weren't moving like they used to. The only question left is whether HD streaming for any of these is on deck, until we hear back just check out the full press release after the break.
w00T!
Netflix Bumps 'New York Times' Out of the Standard and Poor's 500: The move caps a good week for Netflix, which just announced a deal to stream episodes from the ABC Television Network, Disney Channel and ABC Family.
\:lol\:
Kids in the Hall and The Larry Sanders show are now on instant watch.
Also Freejack and Johnny Mnemonic.
Best In Show is back on Netflix streaming.

Christopher Guest and Michael McKean, and a bunch of SCTV alumni like Fred Willard and Eugene Levy.

It's a comedy mockumentary about a dog show.
The IT Crowd series 4 and both series of Hyperdrive are up now.
Series 4 was kind of a mixed bag. Some genuinely funny episode and a few that fell kinda flat. Still, here's hoping there's a fifth series. Even at the show's weakest, it's still better than 99% of what's out there. Also, Sikkbones is a plagiarizing zilch with a hard-on for Vanilla Ice. Not that the previous statement has anything to do with this topic...I just thought it's been a while since it's been said.
a couple of questions for you Netflix guys because I'm too lazy to google and hope you might know.

Does Netflix stream HD?

If so does it through all devices or just certain ones? I have a Wii hooked up to the big screen and an Xbox360 in one of the kids rooms. Will the Wii stream HD?
Is the Wii and HD device? I don't know. But, yeah, it will stream HD as long as you have the bandwidth to support it and the movie/TV is in HD.

From Netflix:

Quote:
Certain titles are available to watch in HD on your PC/Mac; and on your TV via a Netflix Ready Device.

To watch in HD on your PC or Mac, you need the following:

• * Silverlight 3 or higher
  • A screen resolution of at least 800 x 600
  • A high-speed internet connection at time of playback (typically 5 Mbps or higher)

To watch in HD on your TV via a Netflix Ready Device, you need the following:

• An HD TV and component or HDMI connection from your Netflix ready device to your TV
  • A high-speed internet connection at time of playback (typically 5 Mbps or higher)

I think my monthly bill is $9.23 a month for unlimited streaming and one DVD at a time. I can get about 2 DVD's a week. I've been really thinking about dropping the DVD part, but there are still a lot of movies, especially newer ones, that they haven't put on streaming yet.
Eight bucks for streaming only. You can't watch HD on a wii because it can't output an HD signal.

http://www.netflix.com/NetflixReadyDevices?trkid=699119&lnkctr=mh_nfrd&lnkce=nrd-ohm

That link will tell you what you can stream with. I hear the roku boxes are the cheapest way to stream netflix and other internet video to your TV.
I wonder if the Wii will look as good as DVD quality? The Roku looks like it costs about $70 maybe i should just get a low end blu ray that offers streaming?
I've never seen it but the Wii is supposed to stream in DVD quality. I still don't like the cheaper blu-ray players. They're always missing features like software updatability and other things.
 Originally Posted By: Irwin Schwab
I wonder if the Wii will look as good as DVD quality? The Roku looks like it costs about $70 maybe i should just get a low end blu ray that offers streaming?

if you're a vide(ped)ophile, the wii's stream (tee hee) wont be as strong as a DVD, especially if your intraweb and/or wifi connection isn't so great. at least in a few cases. basically, if you're watching iron man or lost or some other new, effectsy sorta movie, you might notice some not so great bits. if you're watching mythbusters or smokey and the bandit, it will be perfect. i use it in the non-main TV room.

if you're looking for HD, then get the blu-ray player. you can find a few for pretty cheap especially now after the holiday with overstock. if you're going all out, a number of new HDTVs also come complete with netflix built in -- there are even some with a netflix button on the remote that will hit stores in a few weeks.

most importantly, if you're looking to stream in HD, make sure you get a player that has a direct (wired) connection to your router, and isn't trying to choke the wifi.
i dream't Rob(formerly Kamphausen) replied to one of my posts last night.
Hey now, hey now. Don't dream it's over.
don't let them win.
Maybe you're the same as me, we see things they'll never see. You and I are gonna live forever.
Woomp There It Is

I watched the Incredible Hulk pilot and the Big Lebowski today on Netflix. I had no idea there could be such happiness.
They got the Rockford Files too.
Posted By: the G-man Netflix: What Hollywood Execs Privately Say - 2011-01-15 8:13 PM
What Hollywood Execs Privately Say About Netflix: Hollywood has learned from the way Apple blindsided the music industry with iTunes and knows how much is at stake.

Interesting article about the likely effect of Netflix on the industry.
Posted By: rex Re: Netflix: What Hollywood Execs Privately Say - 2011-01-19 5:35 AM
Netflix took away the ability to add DVDs to your queue from streaming devices over the weekend. The tards who don't know you can still do it from a computer are throwing a wonder boy over it.
Posted By: rex Re: Netflix: What Hollywood Execs Privately Say - 2011-02-02 8:06 AM
First season of Rosanne is now on streaming. I never saw it, is it still worth watching?

Seasons 5 and 6 of the Larry Sanders show are also up. I enjoyed the first four seasons but I would have appreciated them more back when they aired. The topical stuff just isn't as good fifteen years later.
The first few seasons of Rosanne were good, if I recall. They were about ordinary, blue collar people just being themselves in a dysfunctional way, but not as over the top as Married with Children or The Simpsons. Later on it got over the top and melodramatic, which ruined it.
Yeah, I was going to suggest the first season is the only one worth watching
I watched the Incredible Hulk pilot and the Big Lebowski today on Netflix.

FYI Buy.com has the complete Hulk series on DVD (20 discs)for $24.99 free shipping:
http://www.buy.com/prod/incredible-hulk-complete-series/q/loc/322/listingID/131184545/208930800.html
Freaked out by Netflix, H'Wood Considers Pricey VOD options:
  • Leading Hollywood's effort to take back control of the home­vid biz, Time Warner is planning to launch a premium video-on-demand service in the coming months and lengthen the delay that prevents rental companies like Netflix and Redbox from offering new releases.

Conglom will significantly shorten the window between a film's theatrical release and its VOD bow from 90 days to 60 and will charge about $30 for the pic on the earlier date, mostly via cable operators.

Thirty dollars to watch a movie on demand?

Fuck. That.

All that will accomplish is:
(a) people will wait longer to watch the films on netflix or redbox;
(b) more piracy. Video pirates will pay the thirty bucks, burn the movie to a DVD and sell copies on street corners for a couple of bucks.
That 70's show is now on netflix streaming. Still one of my favorite shows.
I watched Starman last night on Netflix. I hadn't seen it in 20 years an likely wouldnt have rented it. it still holds up pretty good.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/220406/cbs_programming_heads_to_netflix.html

Quote:
CBS Programming Heads to Netflix
The content will begin appearing in April and include current shows such as Medium and Flashpoint, as well as hits from the classic library like Family Ties, Cheers, and Star Trek.

By Ed Oswald, Technologizer Feb 23, 2011 9:08 am

CBS said Tuesday that it had penned a two-year agreement to bring some of CBS' most popular programming to the service. According to a press release issued by the network, the deal is non-exclusive. This likely means CBS is actively searching other methods of supplying its programming to viewers, a welcome sign considering many of the networks have been reticent to offer their content outside of their own walled gardens.

The content will begin appearing in April and include current content such as Medium and Flashpoint, as well as content from CBS' classic library including Family Ties, Cheers, and Star Trek. CBS programming would be provided at no extra cost to Netflix users.

With the CBS deal Netflix becomes the only online entertainment service to offer content from all four major broadcast networks. Hulu comes close with Fox, NBC, and ABC on the service, but CBS still is holding out.
I watched Moving Violations the other night, I thought it was funny as hell when I was younger now it was just ok.
Was that the one with the Unknown Comic?
It starred Bill Murray's brother, had one of the Tillys I think Jennifer, and GA Hotlips.
http://thehill.com/blogs/hillicon-valley...rural-broadband

Quote:
Mark Cooper, director of research for the Consumer Federation of America (CFA), says Netflix should have to pay into the Universal Service Fund.

"The Internet is not an infant industry anymore. It can certainly bear the burden of making sure that wires and the communications mediums are there," Cooper said.

Phone companies pay into the Federal Communications Commission's $8 billion telecom fund, which subsidizes phone service in high-cost and rural areas. They write off the cost on consumer telephone bills.

The FCC is trying to migrate the subsidies to fund broadband rather than phone calls this year. As it begins the overhaul, the question of who must contribute into the fund is heating up.

It would be "legitimate" to force Netflix and other high-bandwidth companies to contribute to the fund, Cooper, a longtime consumer advocate, said Wednesday during a panel discussion.
Bill Hicks: Sane Man and Bill Hicks Live added to Netflix streaming today.

One of the funniest greatest stand ups ever.
http://www.deadline.com/2011/03/netflix-...house-of-cards/

Quote:
EXCLUSIVE: Video streaming juggernaut Netflix is becoming an original series player. In what is probably the biggest gamble in its 14-year history, I hear Netflix has outbid several major cable networks, including HBO and AMC, for Media Rights Capital's drama series House of Cards, executive produced and directed by David Fincher and exec produced by and starring Kevin Spacey.

Negotiations are still going on, but I hear Netflix landed the drama project by offering a staggering commitment of two seasons, or 26 episodes. Given that the license fee for a high-end drama is in the $4 million-$6 million range and that a launch of a big original series commands tens of millions of dollars for promotion, the deal is believed to be worth more than $100 million.

Ever since Liberty Media chairman John Malone in October drew a comparison between Netfix and HBO, industry experts have speculated whether Netflix would become the next HBO by venturing into originals. HBO, too, established itself as premium cable movie channel before hitting gold with original series that have now become its bread and butter. Netflix, which dominates the movie streaming market at 61%, had said in the past that it was not interested in branching into original programming. Until now.

Given the strong interest in House of Cards from multiple networks, observers had speculated that the project may get an episodic commitment, but a massive two-season order is pretty unheard of these days. Going straight to series itself is a risky proposition as attested by NBC, which recently tried it before reverting to the traditional pilot model. Besides the sandals-and-toga Rome, which was a co-production with the BBC, HBO has piloted all of its projects, including those with A-list talent such as Martin Scorsese/Terence Winter's Boardwalk Empire and Michael Mann/David Milch's Luck starring Dustin Hoffman. AMC went straight to series with The Walking Dead but with a modest six-episode order. Rome and Fox's CGI extravaganza Terra Nova started off with 13-episode orders. Snatching a high-profile project like House of Cards is certain to put Netflix on the map. But by committing to air and market a 26-episode original series, something it has never done before, it will also put the company to the test.

Despite its dominant position in the movie-streaming business, Netflix, which was just upgraded to "buy" by Goldman Sachs, has been feeling the heat from new competition, including Amazon.com, which last month announced it was entering the subscription streaming-media business, and Facebook, which last week announced a deal with Warner Bros. to experiment with streaming the studio's The Dark Knight directly through the social media service. In fact, on the day the Facebook/Warner Bros. deal was announced, Netflix's shares fell 6%.

Netflix has been looking to diversify beyond movies. The day Amazon.com announced its entry into the online video space, Netflix unveiled a $200 million deal with CBS for two years for nonexclusive rights to stream such shows as The Twilight Zone, Star Trek, Family Ties, Twin Peaks, Cheers and Frasier. Adding original series to the portfolio seems like a natural next step.

In August, Netflix shored up its core streaming business with a $1 billion, five-year pact for online streaming rights to movies from Paramount, Lionsgate and MGM. (It also inked a pact with Relativity Media, while renewal talks with early movie partner Starz, which has provided Netflix with access to Sony and Disney titles, are still ongoing.)

Meanwhile, MRC has built its TV business on a direct-to-series model with such projects as animated comedies The Life & Times of Tim and The Ricky Gervais Show, the short-lived series for the CW's Sunday block and the Lifetime comedy Rita Rocks, which went through pilot but in a two-pilot deal with the network guaranteeing that one of the pilots will go to series.

In his TV directorial debut, Fincher will helm the pilot for House of Cards, which is based on the book and British miniseries of the same name. Fincher is executive producing with Eric Roth, Joshua Donen as well as Spacey and his producing partner at Trigger Street Prods. Dana Brunetti. The political-thriller novel House of Cards, written by Michael Dobbs, a former Conservative Party chief of staff, is set at the end of Margaret Thatcher's tenure as prime minister and follows a British politician with his eye on the top job. In 1990, it was adapted by the BBC as a miniseries written by Andrew Davies and starring Ian Richardson. Fincher's adaptation, set in the U.S., was written by playwright-screenwriter Beau Willimon (The Ides of March).
this seems like a nice extra, but I'm afraid if they go after too many original series this could effect the price. i love unlimited movies for $8....
http://www.macnewsworld.com/story/Why-Ne...?wlc=1300669411

Quote:
For a company that's been criticized for hanging onto an old-school movie rental business -- DVDs and Blu-ray disks -- Netflix (Nasdaq: NFLX) seems to be surviving just fine. A year ago, Netflix stock traded for less than US$70 per share, while today it's been up well over $200.

Sure, it seemed to have taken a hit with the news that Facebook might start streaming movie rentals, but it's not like Netflix is laying down so competitors can kick the company around: Netflix is said to be working on acquiring the rights to an original TV series called "House of Cards" that would star none other than the Oscar-winning actor Kevin Spacey. It's this kind of investment and vision that spawned the company in the first place, and it's just the latest reason Netflix has managed to win over my respect, both as an Apple-appreciating consumer and a Netflix customer.

Meanwhile, the NPD Group has reported that Netflix now dominates the home video streaming market in the U.S. Netflix's share of digital movie units -- downloaded or streamed -- reached 61 percent between January 2011 and February 2011, followed by Comcast (Nasdaq: CMCSK) at 8 percent and a three-way tie for third at 4 percent among DirecTV (Nasdaq: DTV), Time Warner (NYSE: TWX) Cable and Apple (Nasdaq: AAPL).

Wow.

Back to the rumored "House of Cards" show that might turn Netflix into a television production company. It doesn't matter if the show is even a good show. By doing so many things right, Netflix has captured the most important element of the TV world -- distribution, and more importantly, the habit of consumption. And if there's one thing we know about TV viewing, it's more about habit than finding "the best" content. As Netflix's 20 million customers increasingly turn to Netflix for finding video, that habit is going to drive a lot of eyeballs.

But What About Apple?

Sure, Apple gets all the attention with its iTunes and blockbuster movies and HD television show rentals, but when it comes to active watching volume, Netflix has an absolutely astounding lead: Six out of 10 digital videos watched are delivered via Netflix.

If you're not impressed by that kind of volume, how about Apple holding onto just a tiny 4 percent? I don't know how often I hear Apple haters grumbling about how Apple controls so much content and dictates pricing, but I'm sure this doesn't exactly add another proof point to their box of hate and fear.
The Netflix On-Demand Video Library Sucks

I don't think there's any real way around this point: The Netflix on-demand video streaming library sucks. It's packed with lots of really old titles, it's full of "B" and "C" movies, and there's a massive lack of hot new Hollywood blockbuster releases.

If this is true -- and it is -- how in the heck has Netflix managed to capture so much of the digital video market? There's no doubt that Apple employs some of the most visionary and audacious executives around, so how come Apple, with millions of iOS devices and Macs in the world, isn't in the decisive lead?

I see five huge reasons for Netflix's success:

1. Netflix movies aren't shackled by irritating digital rights limitations on playback times. If I want to rent a movie from Apple, for example, I'm stuck with a 24-hour viewing period. This means that if I start a movie, I have to finish it within 24 hours. In my world, I don't often have two full hours that I can dedicate to movie, start to finish. I get interrupted, and occasionally I sleep. I know other people who have similar problems: They start a movie but their small children wake up with a cough and congestion, and everything hits pause. By the time they get back to the movie the next night, they've run out of time.

For TV shows, Apple has upped the viewing period to 48 hours, which is much more doable. Still, this limitation is less about Apple and all about the digital video rights holders who don't really want you to rent movies and TV shows in the first place. They want you to spend a lot more money and buy DVDs. Or sell the content to cable channels or other networks for the rerun dollars such deals generate.

So even if I start a dumb movie on via Netflix, I have peace of mind: I can come back to it in the future and finish watching it, without having to pay for it all over again.
2. Netflix gives you a set monthly subscription price. Because Netflix is a subscription service, you don't run the risk of blowing out your media-watching budget. If you have kids, they aren't going accidentally rent $60 worth of cartoons, either. At the same time, because you've committed to a monthly investment (starting at $8), you're more likely to want to get use out of the investment. So you'll troll through the Netflix video offerings or see what you've got lined up in your queue.

Oh, and the queue, that's a fantastic feature. Apple's Wish List feature? Sucks. Sorry. Apple just doesn't get the idea that consumers would like to browse for content and create a list of what they might like to consume ... but not right then ... and then go back to it. Same goes for apps.
3. Playback devices and mediums are everywhere. Netflix has partnered with lots of other companies in order to deliver applications and devices that let consumers access the Netflix video streaming servers in the sky. You can play Netflix movies with your Xbox 360, PlayStation3, Nintendo Wii, with your computers, streaming set-top boxes, Blu-ray players, DVRs, with Windows Phone 7, with iOS devices like the iPad and iPhone, along with the Apple TV itself. If you want Netflix access, you can find it, without hassle, even on the go.
4. Older TV show seasons make fiscal sense through Netflix. What happens when you stumble upon a television series midway through the second, third, fourth or fifth season? You can catch old episodes that have been syndicated to other channels, slowing building up your knowledge of the characters and their histories. To do that via iTunes rentals can get expensive, and to buy DVDs, that's expensive, too. Relatively speaking, you cost per hour of enjoyment for hour-long dramas is actually pretty good, but still, the personal demand is usually pretty low. So buying or renting is tough to swallow.

But catching streaming episodes via Netflix is perfect for rounding out those odd moments when you want to be entertained. I've caught up on "Man v. Wild" and "Survivorman," and I'm toying with the idea of starting back to the first hour of the hit TV series "24." That's right, Jack Bauer back when he was young and more hopeful.
5. Netflix has lots and lots of kid-friendly content. Like the fixed monthly budget, there's lots of content that children can watch and it won't cost extra. Parents don't care if their daughters are watching old Mary Kate and Ashley movies if it's not costing them extra. But if the daughter asked to rent a bunch of dumb Mary Kate and Ashley movies at $3 a pop? No freaking way.

Similarly, kids can watch the same cartoons and movies over and over again (I have no idea what this does to their little brains), so buying movies can make a lot of sense. Still, there's only so many cartoons and movies that a parent on a budget can buy. Enter Netflix.
Spot-fucking-on.

Hell, I just watched Heartbreak Ridge for the first time since I saw it originally in the 80's! And you're not even paying over $12 a month to get all of this shit whenever you want, no catches, no hassles, and no tricks. Thanks Netflix!
I watch a lot of movies I would never rent, and have been surprised by a few I've never seen before. Netflix=Awesome.
Just watched Tapeheads. Haven't seen that movie in about twenty years.
It's a great place to find movies you wouldn't normally look for! If you're ever in need of a good laugh, check out "Thankskilling"! Brilliant and horrible at the same time!
http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/01/netflix-adds-more-fox-content-to-streaming-including-glee-s1-al/

Quote:
In a nice rebound from last week, Netflix is expanding its non-exclusive agreement with Fox for content, bringing older shows Ally McBeal and The Wonder Years to Watch Instantly for the first time. Also arriving are the first season of Glee and the first two seasons of Sons of Anarchy from FX, with additional seasons to be added annually, as well as "a number of library movies" after their premium pay-tv windows subside. Its not exactly the cable TV competing type of deal that it just locked up with Paramount in Canada, but for fans of those shows have a few more reasons to hang on to the service. Beyond the announcement a slew of new content popped up on the service today including the just-aired premiere episode of Body of Proof, BBC stuff like Top Gear and Luther, a few James Bond flicks and anime like Inuyasha and Bleach, so even if you're not a gleek (and disappointed because if Netflix and Fox are talking, the only topics of discussion should be commissioning new seasons of Firefly and Terriers) there's plenty of reasons to update that queue today.
april 1
The first season of The League is up at well. That show is almost as good as Its Always Sunny.
 Originally Posted By: EvilCandy
It's a great place to find movies you wouldn't normally look for! If you're ever in need of a good laugh, check out "Thankskilling"! Brilliant and horrible at the same time!

Epic Take!
Wings!
MacGyver!
Wow!

Cheers.
Wings!

I was kind of joking when I posted this, then I watched the first few episodes.

They were actually funny.

I was surprised.
Wings was one of those decent shows (like Coach) that went on for years. Its a shame something like that will never work now.
Gone with the wind is also up now.
Wings!

I was kind of joking when I posted this, then I watched the first few episodes.

They were actually funny.

I was surprised.

if you liked cheers (which is still amongst my most favoritist of shows), wings is basically a younger cousin to it. same folks behind the scenes. the cheers cast even stops by in a few episodes for cameos.
It was an indirect spinoff wasn't it? Wasn't the airport featured in an episode of Cheers?
It was an indirect spinoff wasn't it? Wasn't the airport featured in an episode of Cheers?

i don't remember wings being featured on cheers, just cheers folks walking through the wings' airport on occasion. to my knowledge, the shows were entirely unrelated on-screen, other than those brief cameos (like cliff and norm drinking at the airport bar) and the on-screen proximity, boston and nantucket.
I'm too lazy to Google for it, but I know that there's a diagram someone worked out showing how all the NBC shows of the late 70's-90's linked together. I believe the consensus is that it was Frasier Crane's universe they all existed within, or something...
 Originally Posted By: Prometheus
I'm too lazy to Google for it, but I know that there's a diagram someone worked out showing how all the NBC shows of the late 70's-90's linked together. I believe the consensus is that it was Frasier Crane's universe they all existed within, or something...

Dwayne McDuffie once wrote a column that explained how they are all tied into "St Elsewhere" and were, therefore, all figments of an autistic child's mind.
THAT'S what I was thinking of! Fantastic memory, G.
I smoke pot.
They just added the made for TV Tekwar movies.

Not the series yet.

I think I remember the first one was good "Tekwar" but everything else was complete shit.
 Originally Posted By: Probaldeus
I smoke pot.
Is that a new TV show you're pitching to NBC?
http://marvel.com/news/story/15762/marvel_shows_now_available_on_netflix

Quote:
Hey Marvel fans, get ready to catch up on some of your all-time favorite Marvel programming instantly streamed through Netflix!

That’s right, you just read that correctly! Available to Netflix subscribers in the US, Marvel’s instantly bringing you some of your favorite movies and TV shows in a rather super heroic way!

Starting on April 29th, you’ll be able to instantly stream some of Marvel’s most memorable content from Netflix in mere moments!

Here’s the current release list*:

Coming April 29

The Incredible Hulk (1996-97)
Spider-Man Unlimited (1999-2001)
Iron Man: Extremis – Marvel Knights Animation (2010)
Astonishing X-Men: Gifted – Marvel Knights Animation (2010)
Spider-Woman: Agent of the S.W.O.R.D. – Marvel Knights Animation (2010)
Fantastic Four: World's Greatest Heroes (2006)
Silver Surfer (1998)
Black Panther – Marvel Knights Animation (2010)
Iron Man: Armored Adventures Season 1 (2009)

Coming throughout the summer

Marvel Action Hour: Iron Man (1994-96)
The Avengers: Earth’s Mightiest Heroes! Season 1 (2010)
X-Men Evolution (2000-3)
X-Men (1992-7)
Spider-Man (1994-‘98)
Spider-Man (1967-‘68)
Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends (1981)
Spider-Man (1981-‘82)

Coming in the fall

Iron Man (1966)
Thor (1966)
Captain America (1966)
Hulk (1966)
Sub-Mariner (1966)

That enough for you? It better not be, because there’s so much more on its way. Stay tuned to Marvel.com and we’ll let you know when you can see the next batch of Marvel magnificence on Netflix.

More on Marvel.com: http://marvel.com/news/story/15762/marvel_shows_now_available_on_netflix#ixzz1KqzKoPaT
Ut!
The 2010 season of Doctor Who with Matt Smith on streaming Netflix streaming now.
Kool!
http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Doctor...6624#height1170
http://www.abcactionnews.com/dpp/enterta...yz1305658417638

Quote:
BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. (AP) - Miramax has become the latest movie studio to make its movies available for streaming on Netflix Inc.'s online subscription service.

Beginning in June, Netflix subscribers will be able to watch "several hundred " Miramax movies, the companies said Monday, with dozens of titles being added on a rotating basis. Financial terms were not disclosed.

Miramax's movies include "Good Will Hunting," "Kill Bill" and "Clerks."
W00T!
WOOT!!
http://www.engadget.com/2011/07/05/netflix-bringing-instant-streaming-latin-america-global-dominat/

Quote:
Soon enough, most of the western hemisphere will be able to enjoy Netflix Watch Instantly without the need for proxies and work-arounds. Later this year the company will add 43 countries in Central and South America, and the Caribbean to its list of supported locales. It will also wrap up its North American expansion by streaming flicks into the heart of Mexico. When exactly folks in Brazil and Trinidad will be able to sign up, and how much it will cost when it launches are still up in the air at the moment. One thing is certain though -- while Hulu is striking deals with the likes of Miramax and the Criterion Collection to bolster its library of feature length films, Netflix is building a global empire.
Sweet, I hope the prices are the same as the US or close.
I think they'll be reasonable especially since they won't have that great of a selection yet. Canadians are still bitching about the lack of choices they have but they say it gets better every month.
Dad, why do you care, you're just gonna steal passwords to it.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=436265

That thread tells you how you can get American netflix outside of America.
for free?
No, you have to pay for netflix and the work around.
If you're gonna use a workaround you might as well go to isohunt. The whole point of Netflix is that it's simple.
maybe you should have thought of that before not living in america!!!
http://blog.movies.yahoo.com/blog/1701-netflix-raises-dvd-streaming-plan-price-by-60-percent
 Quote:
Netflix Inc will raise by 60 percent the monthly price of a plan that lets subscribers watch unlimited movies and video online and get DVDs by mail.

Customers who want both services will pay $7.99 per month to rent one DVD at a time plus $7.99 for unlimited streaming, or a total of $15.98 per month. The previous cost of this plan was $9.99 a month.

"We are separating unlimited DVDs by mail and unlimited streaming into separate plans to better reflect the costs of each and to give our members a choice: a streaming only plan, a DVD only plan or the option to subscribe to both," Netflix Vice President of Marketing Jessie Becker wrote in a company blog post.

"Given the long life we think DVDs by mail will have, treating DVDs as a $2 add on to our unlimited streaming plan neither makes great financial sense nor satisfies people who just want DVDs," Becker wrote.

Netflix announced the new prices on Tuesday. The company did not respond to a request for comment.

Unlimited DVD-only plans will cost $7.99 for one at a time or $9.99 for two at a time.

The changes take effect immediately for new subscribers, and in September for current customers.
Yeah I just got this bullshit email from them yesterday about this. I barely order dvd's unless what I want isn't on the streaming. $8 for renting a couple dvd's a month is crap when I can redbox for $1 each.
I understand why they're doing it; and honestly, it doesn't bother me. I really don't use the mailing option much anymore and have been just too lazy to drop it. This'll get me to drop it come September.
 Originally Posted By: thedoctor
I understand why they're doing it; and honestly, it doesn't bother me. I really don't use the mailing option much anymore and have been just too lazy to drop it. This'll get me to drop it come September.

i'm the same way. i've maybe ordered 3 physical DVDs from them in the past 12 months. i like having the option of going the DVD route, incase something isn't available to stream (which is still sadly so much). however, in the long haul, i don't really use it. if anything, they're losing $2 a month from me by taking away the option.
 Originally Posted By: thedoctor

Same. I'm surprised it's taken them this long to raise their prices. I'll just go straight streaming.

BTW, anyone having issues getting their Netflix through their game console lately? My PS3 and Netflix are arguing and I don't know why...
Yeah, my Netflix on PS3 has been having some issues too.
I BET ITS THE SECURITY LOLS
I BLAME MICROSOFT AND MISTERJLA

SINCERELY,

PARIAH
(I only used CAPS LOCK since Rob insisted)
Is Netflix Bubble Bursting As Competitors Pile On? Wal-Mart offers streaming of 20,000 titles, taking on Netflix two weeks after web giant announces price hikes.

Vudu and Netflix are not the same kind of service. That article is just as retarded as the people who are bitching about netflix's price increase.
Vudu and Netflix are not the same kind of service....

You're right, rex. The only threat to a business is a business that provides the exact same kind of service. Look at how Blockbuster was taken down by identical service at Netflix.

Netflix has nothing to worry about. I'm sure this Vudu thing will fail because, after all, it isn't like Wal-Mart has decades of successfully adapting and then dominating various aspects of retail. I'm also sure that the drop in Netflix's stock price today was based on people who know much less than you evaluating whether or not this is a threat to the Netflix business model.
 Originally Posted By: the G-man
Vudu and Netflix are not the same kind of service....
Don't make fun of my copy and paste fox news story, even if it is wrong.
Reuters: Walmart Latest Streaming Challenger to Netflix

Los Angeles Times: Vudu has been able to leverage the giant retailer's clout with manufacturers to incorporate is service into more than 300 consumer electronics products, including Internet-connected television sets, Blu-ray disc players and the Sony PlayStation 3 game console.

CNN: With some Netflix customers miffed, Walmart, the world's biggest retailer, sees potential in streaming video.

Thank god we have rex to tell us that all these major news outlets reporting on this are wrong.
How dare I have my own opinion! I should listen to cnn who just repeat what any retard says on twitter! I should know better then to think for myself!
How dare I have my own opinion! I should listen to cnn who just repeat what any retard says on twitter! I should know better then to think for myself!

An uninformed opinion makes you no better than a "retard on twitter."

What a gay internet slap fight this is!

Watch those claws ladies!
Depends on selection and convenience. What can I watch and how can I watch it? If Wally-World can match the Flix on both, it will be a fight. If not, they're pissing in the wind. More than likely, they'll primarily pull the trailer park crowd by streaming Sarah Palin's documentary first thing, in hopes that someone will watch it.......

Cockhead!
I bet it's all the same people that allow these companies to stream their content.

Wally's selection maybe very similar to Netflix, much like Hulu +.

Cockhead!

Dicks fuck assholes.

I'm a hero, and national treasure.
Depends on selection and convenience. What can I watch and how can I watch it? If Wally-World can match the Flix on both, it will be a fight...

Exactly. That and price. And Wal-Mart is skilled at negotiating deals to give it advantages on all three.

This doesn't mean that Netflix is down for the count by any means. But for anyone to discount the ability of Wallyworld to take on another company is just whistling past the graveyard.
Cockhead!

Dicks fuck assholes.

I'm a hero, and national treasure.

The heart of a nation beats on you...
Depends on selection and convenience. What can I watch and how can I watch it? If Wally-World can match the Flix on both, it will be a fight...

Exactly. That and price. And Wal-Mart is skilled at negotiating deals to give it advantages on all three.

This doesn't mean that Netflix is down for the count by any means. But for anyone to discount the ability of Wallyworld to take on another company is just whistling past the graveyard.

Evolve or die. This might get Netflix to rush a wider streaming inventory, rather than focusing on spreading globally so quickly. Fuck people in Chile and England and Oregon. This is America and we want Ghostbusters ONE streaming, not TWO!

Evolve or die. ...

Precisely. Anyone thinking that the average consumer is tied to type of service more than things like price and convenience is woefully ignorant. I'm sure the people at Blockbuster were telling themselves Netflix was no threat because it was a different type of service too....same with Borders and Amazon.com.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Netflix Loses Starz, Stock Drops - 2011-09-03 3:10 AM
Netflix stock falls as talks on Starz deal unravel

Meanwhile, Walmart’s Vudu Surging in Digital Video Market
Posted By: rex Re: Netflix Loses Starz, Stock Drops - 2011-09-05 7:34 PM
http://www.engadget.com/2011/09/05/netflix-lands-in-brazil-43-other-latin-american-countries-withi/

Quote:
Netflix lands in Brazil, 43 other Latin American countries within the week

Netflix promised our friends in Central and South America would soon be able to enjoy the pleasures of Watch Instantly. Starting today with Brazil, and with 43 other Latin American countries to follow before September 12th, the pioneering streaming video service is making good on that promise. Customers in the land of Carnival can enjoy a free one-month trial, after which a subscription will run $14.99 a month in Brazilian dollars. The roll out will be staggered over the coming days, with most areas getting a price point equivalent to $7.99 in American currency and some having both English and Spanish language options. For more details check out the PR after the break and the chart above.
Posted By: MisterJLA Re: Netflix Loses Starz, Stock Drops - 2011-09-05 7:35 PM
http://www.engadget.com/
Posted By: rex Re: Netflix Loses Starz, Stock Drops - 2011-09-19 8:09 AM
http://blog.netflix.com/2011/09/explanation-and-some-reflections.html

To sum it up, netflix is renaming their DVD and Blu-Ray side to Qwikster and they're adding video games. This will probably end gamefly.
Posted By: rex Re: Netflix Loses Starz, Stock Drops - 2011-09-19 9:22 AM
https://twitter.com/#!/Qwikster

I hope they don't take that twitter name.
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Netflix Loses Starz, Stock Drops - 2011-09-19 5:58 PM
This will probably end gamefly.

A small breeze would topple that shady outfit. I'm glad to see them go...
Posted By: rex Re: Netflix Loses Starz, Stock Drops - 2011-09-26 2:52 PM
http://www.engadget.com/2011/09/26/nyt-netflix-strikes-deal-with-dreamworks-will-begin-streaming/

In 2013 you can watch the first two Shrek movies and some of the worst shit ever to be shoved on our nations youth.
Posted By: Rob Re: Netflix Loses Starz, Stock Drops - 2011-09-26 5:05 PM
mightyge... eh... nah.
So I have Netflix now and it's pretty cool: I saw Jackie Brown on my Wii the other day. That sounds hawt. I don't mind that they don't have a lot of recent movies, but what the fuck is it with not letting people see recent additions? Do I have to browse through the entire catalogue all over again to find out what they added? Why would they hide that stuff?

Apparently there's a way you can see recent titles in the US site, but it doesn't work here.
Posted By: Son of Mxy Re: Netflix Loses Starz, Stock Drops - 2011-09-27 8:56 AM
They are being racist against Chile. You should have learned your lesson when Hulu discriminated against you.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Netflix Loses Starz, Stock Drops - 2011-10-01 4:39 AM
Netflix is bleeding:Market cap sinks $10B in 10 weeks
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Netflix Loses Starz, Stock Drops - 2011-10-04 3:16 AM
Deep Space Nine! Woot!
Posted By: allan1 Re: Netflix Loses Starz, Stock Drops - 2011-10-04 3:32 AM
Holla!! I know what I'm watching tonight.
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Netflix Loses Starz, Stock Drops - 2011-10-04 4:16 AM
Hells yeah!

For any of you wanting to start DS9, just begin with Season Four. That's when it gets awesome.
I loved DS9. Avery Brooks is one of the best actors to come out of the Star Trek Franchise.

Posted By: K-nutreturns Re: Netflix Loses Starz, Stock Drops - 2011-10-04 9:54 PM
Hells yeah!

For any of you wanting to start DS9, just begin with Season Four. That's when it gets awesome.

watched the first episode last night. It was shit. I'll try again with season four
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Netflix Loses Starz, Stock Drops - 2011-10-04 10:20 PM
Yes! Seasons one-three are them finding their footing, and realizing what works and what doesn't. Season Four is when they start clicking. And then...The War!
"Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Emissary (#1.1)" (1993)
Commander Benjamin Sisko: [meeting with Captain Picard] It's been a long time, Captain.
Capt. Picard: [puzzled] Have we met before?
Commander Benjamin Sisko: [stony-faced] Yes sir, we met in battle. I was on the Saratoga at Wolf 359.
Posted By: Stupid Doog Re: Netflix Loses Starz, Stock Drops - 2011-10-10 4:45 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15244207

Netflix scraps plan to spin-off DVD deliveries

Netflix has abandoned plans to split off its DVD rental division into a separate business.

The US online movie company told subscribers in September that it was spinning off its disc delivery service and rebranding it as Qwikster.

Customers wishing to continue receiving DVDs by post would have needed two separate accounts.

However, the firm says it now accepts the move would have made things more difficult for its members.

Customers will now be able to continue renting discs and streaming online films using a single Netflix password
Posted By: Rob Re: Netflix Loses Starz, Stock Drops - 2011-10-10 6:59 PM
Doog the MIGHTY (geek)
Netflix loses 800,000 subscribers http://money.cnn.com/2011/10/24/technology/netflix_earnings/index.htm?hpt=hp_t2
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Netflix Loses Starz, Stock Drops - 2011-10-25 5:20 AM
Why are people upset with Netflix? Oh no they have to pay, what, an extra $4 a month? Consumers are whiny bitches. The service Netflix provides is way more than what they get paid. $8 a month and I can watch anything I want, anytime I want, as many times as I want, downstairs on my PS3, upstairs on my computer, on the front porch on the iPad, and anywhere with a fucking internet connection. THAT'S not worth $8 fucking dollars? Good riddance, then. Frees up extra bandwidth for the rest of us...
Posted By: Rob Re: Netflix Loses Starz, Stock Drops - 2011-10-25 6:13 AM
Consumers are whiny bitches.

wait til you meet prometheus!
Posted By: Son of Mxy Re: Netflix Loses Starz, Stock Drops - 2011-10-25 6:53 AM
is Pro a whiny bitch or a bitchy whiner?
Posted By: Son of Mxy Re: Netflix Loses Starz, Stock Drops - 2011-10-25 6:53 AM
I am into philosophy now
Posted By: iggy Re: Netflix Loses Starz, Stock Drops - 2011-10-25 7:00 AM
Is this an ontological question or based on a hermeneutic reading of his posts?
Netflix does seem like an incredibly awesome deal, and still would if it was twice the price. The catalogue down here is like a 5% of what you guys have, so far, and I still have enough movies to keep me busy for like a year.

What I'm saying is I don't get why they're being such Pros about it either.
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Netflix Loses Starz, Stock Drops - 2011-10-25 7:47 AM
 Originally Posted By: Rob
Consumers are whiny bitches.

wait til you meet prometheus!

That was hurtful. Don't blame me Green Lantern sucked... \:\(
You have a chance to watch it again from Netflix.
Posted By: Son of Mxy Re: Netflix Loses Starz, Stock Drops - 2011-10-25 8:56 AM
 Originally Posted By: iggy

I haven't reached that part of philosophy yet. I'm only in the parts where they teach you about the birds and the bees.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/27/tech/web/netflix-internet-bandwith-mashable/index.html?hpt=hp_t2
 Quote:

Netflix takes up 32.7% of Internet bandwidth

(Mashable) -- Despite recent troubles, Netflix is a major force on the Internet, accounting for 32.7% of peak U.S. downstream traffic, according to a new report.
Sandvine Intelligent Broadband Networks' report analyzed 200 Internet service providers in 80 countries and found that real-time entertainment apps take up 60% of peak downstream traffic, up from 50% last year. Netflix has more than half of that share. Sandvine considers the hours between 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. to be peak times.

Like others, Sandvine has also noticed a shift away from PCs to access such content. The company found 55% of traffic volume in North America is consumed on game consoles, set-top boxes, smart TVs and mobile devices. Only 45% is being accessed by laptops or PCs. Video makes up 32.6% of peak downstream mobile traffic, of which YouTube is the largest contributor.

The report comes as Netflix recently lost 800,000 paid subscribers in its most-recent quarter. The company's stock is now trading at less than a third of the amount it was in July.
Posted By: Franta Re: Netflix Loses Starz, Stock Drops - 2011-11-18 9:53 AM
Here he goes here goes SPEED RACER
Posted By: rex Re: Netflix Loses Starz, Stock Drops - 2011-12-01 9:44 PM
Terriers is now on Streaming. It's Shawn Ryan's second best miniseries of last year.
Posted By: rex Re: Netflix Loses Starz, Stock Drops - 2012-02-28 8:11 PM
http://tvandmoviesnow.com/netflix-starz-expiring-2012.html

Everything that is being taken down tomorrow.
Posted By: Captain Sweden Re: Netflix Loses Starz, Stock Drops - 2012-02-29 4:52 AM
 Originally Posted By: Franta
Here he goes here goes SPEED RACER

Speed, Speed, go! Speed, Speed, go!

Originally Posted By: iggy

....uh... yeah...the first thing you said.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Netflix Stock Drops - 2012-03-04 2:08 AM
Netflix wants to abandon this whole Netflix thing and just be HBO, basically: Continuing a trajectory that will make a fascinating cautionary example for some future business class, Netflix CEO Reed Hastings has made explicit his intentions to transform his company from a once-powerful titan of a unique industry into an ordinary cable channel, saying it was Netflix’s “natural direction” to be bundled in an ordinary cable package someday and provide an ordinary sampling of cable offerings.

The hell?

This is kind of like Jeff Bezos announcing Amazon's "natural direction" would be to open a bunch of brick and mortar book stores.
Posted By: Stupid Doog Re: Netflix Stock Drops - 2012-03-04 2:52 AM
I think this guy doesn't know what the fuck he's doing anymore.
Posted By: rex Re: Netflix Stock Drops - 2012-03-05 7:44 AM
 Originally Posted By: Captain Sweden

Posted By: thedoctor Re: Netflix Stock Drops - 2012-03-05 8:52 PM
Netflix wants to abandon this whole Netflix thing and just be HBO, basically: Continuing a trajectory that will make a fascinating cautionary example for some future business class, Netflix CEO Reed Hastings has made explicit his intentions to transform his company from a once-powerful titan of a unique industry into an ordinary cable channel, saying it was Netflix’s “natural direction” to be bundled in an ordinary cable package someday and provide an ordinary sampling of cable offerings.

The hell?

This is kind of like Jeff Bezos announcing Amazon's "natural direction" would be to open a bunch of brick and mortar book stores.

Netflix doesn't have much choice with studios holding off on their content to push their own streaming services and Comcast now jumping into the mix. Netflix is going to have to offer something the rest don't to stay afloat. Right now, Comcast's service is free for current customers to a portion of their catalog. For $5 you get access to everything, which is near equivalent to Netflix, plus access to HBO content not offered by Netflix and more.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Netflix Stock Drops - 2012-03-06 3:43 AM
 Quote:
Netflix doesn't have much choice with studios holding off on their content to push their own streaming services and Comcast now jumping into the mix. Netflix is going to have to offer something the rest don't to stay afloat.

Be that as it may, being "bundled in an ordinary cable package [in order to] provide an ordinary sampling of cable offering" doesn't sound like the provision of something different than the rest.
Posted By: Captain Sweden Re: Netflix Stock Drops - 2012-03-07 4:35 AM
Found this while surfing for porn:

http://www.pornhub.com/boxee-tv

http://www.boxee.tv/

Not sure how interesting this really is.
Posted By: rex Re: Netflix Stock Drops - 2012-03-07 4:43 AM
What does that have to do with netflix?
© RKMBs