Next Thread
Print Thread
#198245 2003-07-04 1:23 PM
I have gas.
2000+ posts
OP Offline
I have gas.
2000+ posts
During the LSH's existence, Ultra Boy has garnered his own little following. When the big three of Superboy, Mon-el and Ultra Boy would be together, it always seemed as though Jo would have more of an appeal than the other two.

I also believe he has been spotlighted or been the standout of various story arcs more than most other team members. I've also noticed that the brunette guys seem to be favored over everyone else. Karate Kid, Leviathan, Timber Wolf, Invisible Kid, Star Boy. Hmmmm....a pattern.

In your own opinion, why is that? What is it about Jo that's more appealing than, say, Star Boy or Element Lad? Is it his powers? Or the fact that he can use them only one at a time? His origin? What? WHAT?!? I gotta know!!!!!!

[whaaaa!]

100+ posts
100+ posts
Compared to Superboy or Mon-El, Ultra Boy was almost as powerful, but not too powerful. You'd almost expect them to win any fight or to not have to really struggle, but Ultra Boy had to be careful (or smart) since he was always vulnerable any time he switched to speed or strength.

Compared to Starboy, Jo was also in a commited relationship, but Starboy always seemed a bit mopey, he seemed to be chasing Dreamy all the time whereas Tinya just couldn't wait to curl up in Jo's arms at the end of the day.

And Element Lad, though powerful, had a "wave your hands" power. Jo went in with his fists, ready to beat the crap out of someone. There's something more viscerally appealing about that.

Jo had a bit more edge than most of the others -- his background was a tad shady and he wasn't above a little dirty fighting.

500+ posts
500+ posts
Jo has a lot going for him as a character, story-wise. Because he's not as powerful as Superboy and M'onel, he's more accessible or understandable to us average slobs.

He can just punch 'em out - or use his wits and compensate for the one-power-at-a-time limitation. I don't think we've seen a lot of "wits" in the DnA run, but you must have to have some smarts to survive in the Rimbor gangs. He seems to have a major chip on his shoulder with regards to Brin, which I don't really like, but it makes sense. The committed relationship does provide a lot of areas for development of this character.

I could see him becoming Legion leader at some point. Maybe he has to learn to reign in his temper a bit and think more about how his actions affect other people, but that's very achievable. He certainly has the courage and committment to the team.

He appears to have had a poor upbringing with that dreadful mother (don't suppose she was around much anyways) and the unknown/absent father. The gang would have been his family, just as the Legion has become his family. Interesting also that he is the first Legionnaire to marry and start a family (however unexpected Cub may have been). He needs to be part of a group. Perhaps he will gain the emotional confidence to be on his own.

I see Jo as a character who is growing and maturing, who may develop more complexity with time. All good!

I thought the version of Jo who played dumb as a front and took on Glorith through subterfuge was very interesting. TMK did a lot to make the character likeable, sympathetic and even tragic, with the loss of Tinya. I especially liked the scene in which Jo's home was demolished and he went back into the rubble to retrieve his L.L.L. rock (from Rokk)!

#198248 2003-07-05 10:54 AM
1 post
1 post
Well i am 'the boy with UltraPowers' !!!

but why do i LIKE ULTRABOY !!??

i JUST do !!

no seriously ... i remember reading my first LEGION comic, it was 'Superboy and the Legion of Super Heroes' #253 [ i think ?? ]

it's the one with the 'League of Super Assassins' !!

i didn't know any of the chracters, only Superboy !!

something attracted me the ULTRABOY !! don't know why, really ??

perhaps it was the costume ?? or the 'one power at a time' rule ??

i couldn't put my finger on it, there was just something i liked about him more than any other LEGIONNAIRE as i continued to read the title !!

and over the years, my liking of JO hasn't changed, and it even grew during the '5 Year Gap' where i think JO was one of the greatest characters and probably the one that evolved and grew the most [ IMO ] and he was featured very heavily in that run ....

he's also had a large part in the reboot and in 'Legion Lost' and now the new ongoing title ...

i hope that explains my LOVE for Mr JO NAH / ULTRABOY !!

Matthew.

100+ posts
100+ posts
quote:
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
I especially liked the scene in which Jo's home was demolished and he went back into the rubble to retrieve his L.L.L. rock (from Rokk)!

I loved that scene! It was very touching. Issue two was one of my favs from TMK.

I'm not positive since I don't have it in front of me, but I don't think it was a "rock" that had the "LLL" inscription. I think it may have been the brush from the ancient shaving kit that Rokk gave him (Jo's girlfriend mentions it)?

500+ posts
500+ posts
Jo always seeed closest Legionnaire to myself. Personality wise.

If Dev Em had ever become a Legionnaire, Jo would have had some big competition for my fave Legion Member.

25+ posts
25+ posts
One thing I liked about Jo is that he PROVED his courage frequently (YOU try switching from invulnerability in the middle of a fire). Mon-el has guts too, but he's so damn tough that he seldom demonstrates it.

#198252 2003-07-06 10:31 PM
I have gas.
2000+ posts
OP Offline
I have gas.
2000+ posts
Do you think it's possible for Ultra Boy to use his ultra-energy for powers we haven't seen yet? Maybe a powerful discharge from his body and go "nova" a la the Human Torch?

#198253 2003-07-06 11:48 PM
100+ posts
100+ posts
I don't know about the "supernova" power, but it'd be interesting to see Jo try to use his Ultra energy in a new way -- preferable something that could become one of his regular uses, so not something too powerful.

Oh, and nothing that would duplicate one of his teammates. I can't really think of a good one now though.

#198254 2003-07-07 11:22 PM
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
quote:
Originally posted by jafabian:
Maybe a powerful discharge from his body

:lol: I won't say what could be an obvious choice there [wink]

Never a big Jo fan till the 5yr gap. Cool that he had a receding hairline. Also liked the Annual story where he got Glorith to underestimate him.

Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
There's no way Ultra Boy is responsible for Apparition's child....he has a mullet...

#198256 2003-07-13 12:39 AM
500+ posts
500+ posts
I must admit I cant make up my mind who my favourite Legionaire is but if I had to list my least favourite few Jo would be somewhere amounst them. I don't really hate any of the Legionaires but Jo's character is just something I feel I have seen a hundred times before and don't relate to. (He was probably around before other similar characters but by the time I discovered Legion I had seen it all before)

25+ posts
25+ posts
Jo sexy-big dick?

Link Copied to Clipboard