Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#275833 2004-04-01 11:24 AM
500+ posts
OP Offline
500+ posts
I've noticed a few of us read Fables so I would like to hear who everybody thinks the adversary is (It may be revealed in issue 25).
Aparently at the start of the series it was being written as though the adversary was

Spoilers

Peter Pan

But for some reason or other that apparently got tossed.
Anyway I know there are a few pretty concrete theories out there so the way the books gone I'm going to go with somebody a little left feild. I think the Adversary will turn out to be Alice of wonderland. One of the clues early on was the adversary took over there own realm first and beheaded the Kings and Queens which was a very popular past time of the royals in wonderland. Also I think it's really odd that no wonderland character has been seen in the series thus far you would think the Chesier cat or the white rabbit would be easy enough to fit in the odd panel of the animal farm group shots but no mention or sighting of any of these characters.

But who does everybody else think it is?

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
If it was Alice, I think I'd have to crap my pants! That'd be so friggin' cool, especially as Lewis Carroll is one of my favorite authors (as is evidenced by the later half of my SN, derived partially from his poem "The Walrus and the Carpenter"). To have his work getting the forefront in the Fables series would be badass!

Although, I'd heard another poster on this board suggest that the Adversary might, in fact, be Walt Disney. Something to think about...

Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
I bet it's that no good varmint Pecos Bill!

In all seriousness, in most of the issues I've flipped through, with the exception of Ichabod Crane, most of the Fables appear to be of European origin. Have they featured anyone from 1,001 Arabian Nights or American tall tales?

Knutreturns said: Spoken like the true Greatest RDCW Champ!

All hail King Snarf!

200+ posts
200+ posts
Most people claim it will be Walt Disney---
I hope he will be cryonetically frozen like Jasper in the Simpsons...

Think clean thoughts, chum. -The Batman
Banned from the DCMBs since 2002.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
There has been a lot of speculation that it is Disney, but damned if I know how they'd get away with that.

Pimping my site, again.

http://www.worldcomicbookreview.com

200+ posts
200+ posts
If I`m indeed right I expect something ominous like the King's appearance in Supreme. You know, like everybody knows its him, but no names are dropped.
Maybe he'll make some duck or mouse remarks...
My other guess is Hitler: logical choice-> the Fable beings live in books, he comes and burns them.
Or was that Tipper Gore and the FCC...

Think clean thoughts, chum. -The Batman
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
As noted on this thread:

Quote:

...Walt Disney?

Think about it: The Adversary is hell-bent on taking over each and every fairy tale and making it his own, ala what the Mouse Factory has been doing in animation for nearly 3/4 of a century.

And, in the latest issue, we meet three of his agents, brothers posing as humans who go be the names "Hugh(ie)," "D(r)ew(ey)" and "Lou(ie)." The brothers have "lots of money," they claim, just like a giant corporation.

Now, obviously, DC isn't going to name names to the point where Disney's lawyers get involved, but one thinks they could do a pretty obvious satire without using the actual names "Walt Disney" or "Mickey Mouse," sort of the way that Dreamworks did with Lord Farquard (who had a similar M.O.) in the film "Shrek."

So what were the clues, originally, that pointed to Peter Pan?

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
For those of us who haven't seen Shrek, what was Lord Farquard?

Pimping my site, again.

http://www.worldcomicbookreview.com

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Lord Farquard was an evil prince who wanted to conquer the enchanted lands and imprison or exploit all classic fairytale characters.

He had already turned his own Kingdom in a highly efficient tourist trap, with color-coded parking lots (for horses and buggies), tour guides and a VERY familiar looking castle.

He bore a strong physical resemblence to Disney CEO Michael Eisner.

And, coincidentally, a lot of the people who worked on "Shrek" were reportedly disgruntled former Disney employees.

500+ posts
OP Offline
500+ posts
Some of the original Peter Pan clues were (This is all from memory)
The adversary first concered his own kingdom and the Land of never was amoung the first to fall (An exact order was never given)
They said he originally started life as a wood land sprite.
They early adversary depictions were of the Greek God Pan.
When King cole made his remberance day speach they was a Pan shaped shadow over the crowd.
In the little people story when they flew to the home lands the bird said the way there was second star to the right and on till morning (Memory) and apparently thats how the character in Peter Pan flew to Neverland.

There were probably others as well. So im not sure why they decided to switch horses mid race because there are going to be some miss leading clues in there.

Unless Neverland Means

Michael Jackson!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Yeah, I caught the "pan" references, but not the PETER Pan references. I was thinking the references were more to the Greek mythological character.

If, in fact, it was originally Peter Pan I think I know why they would have had to change in mid story.

There are currently a number of disputes as to whether the play "Peter Pan," by J.M. Barrie is in public domain.

DC's lawyers probably decided to air on the side of caution.

Furthermore, this copyright issue could ALSO be the reason who don't see any Neverland characters in the book.

Hmmmm....as I think about it, however, there is another "Pan" character who IS in public domain: Robin Goodfellow, or Puck, of Shakespeare's "Midsummers Night's Dream."

Though why HE would be the Adversary I have no idea.

Link Copied to Clipboard