15000+ posts
OP Offline
Your death will make me king!
15000+ posts
quote:
Quoted From Reuters Entertainment:

Rowling Wept Over Harry Potter Book Death

By Paul Majendie

LONDON (Reuters) - Author JK Rowling was so upset about killing off one of the main characters in her latest Harry Potter (news - web sites) saga that she burst into tears.

But the creator of the teenage wizard said it was vital to be strong because if "you are writing children's books, you need to be a ruthless killer."

The identity of the character who meets his or her end in "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" has been kept a closely guarded secret and Rowling hopes it will stay that way until the book is published on Saturday.

In an interview with the BBC, she said about killing off her character: "Well I had written the death, re-written it and that was it. It was definitive. And the person was definitely dead.

"And I walked into the kitchen crying and Neil (her husband) said to me 'What on earth is wrong?' and I said 'Well I've just killed the person."'

Even her husband does not know who the doomed character is and Rowling stoutly defended the secrecy surrounding the plot.

She told interviewer Jeremy Paxman: "Of course one could be cynical and...say it was a marketing ploy, but I don't want the kids to know what's coming.

"That is part of the excitement of the story and having sweated blood to create all my red herrings and lay all my clues ... it's not my life but it is a very important part of my life."

Rowling, who wrote the first Harry Potter book as a struggling single mother in Edinburgh, is now richer than Queen Elizabeth. But she is still passionate about her teenage wizard and has two more books up her sleeve to complete the saga.

Speaking about life after Potter, she said: "It's going to be very difficult to leave it. I do look forward to a post-Harry era in my life because some of the things that go along with this are not much fun."

"But at the same time I dread leaving Harry ... because I've been working on it over what I sincerely hope will prove to have been the most turbulent part of my life and that was the constant and I worked on it so hard for so long."

Rowling denied she ever missed any deadlines on the latest book and never suffered from writer's block. "No -- I just produced a quarter of a million words," she told Paxman in the interview which is to be broadcast on Thursday. Extracts were released in advance by the BBC.

Keeping Potter's secrets is becoming increasingly harder as publication date nears. Thousands of copies of the eagerly awaited new saga were stolen from a warehouse in Northern England over the weekend.

The public were warned that anyone who tried to sell or buy the books between now and Saturday could face criminal charges.

"We hope that nobody will spoil the excitement for all Harry Potter fans who are looking forward to reading the book," the publisher Bloomsbury said in a statement.

25+ posts
25+ posts
I'm very poor right now, but I am going to treat myself and get the book.

I love the series. It's been a very long wait.

He tastes of America
15000+ posts
He tastes of America
15000+ posts
Betcha ten Knuts it's Hermione.

25+ posts
25+ posts
I doubt it. There's been too much of a buildup of chemistry between her and Ron.

I could see it being one of the teachers. Maybe Snape or McGonagall. Or it could be Sirius Black or Prof. Lupin.

He tastes of America
15000+ posts
He tastes of America
15000+ posts
Is Dumbledore dead in the books?

25+ posts
25+ posts
Nope.

1 post
1 post
Much like the news of Darth Vader being the father of Luke & Leia, Im sure the media will notify us all in advance.

500+ posts
500+ posts
Well, if nothing else, I got a new .sig out of the deal.

500+ posts
500+ posts
"Rowling Wept Over Harry Potter Book Death"

So... she's nuts, then?

500+ posts
500+ posts
Pretty much...

He tastes of America
15000+ posts
He tastes of America
15000+ posts
Whudda bout Hagrid?

25+ posts
25+ posts
We'll find out soon enough.

So who's going to get this?

He tastes of America
15000+ posts
He tastes of America
15000+ posts
I got it for 18 smackers.

1000+ posts
1000+ posts
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Nobody:
"Rowling Wept Over Harry Potter Book Death"

So... she's nuts, then?

After reading the book myself, I'd have to say "yes."

All this hype, and this excitement over the big death...I was 100% convinced it was either going to be Dumbledore or Hagrid killed by Voldemort or Lucius Malfoy before Harry's eyes. In fact, I was SOLD on Dumbledore being the big death. The whole set-up thus far is that Dumbledore is the top wizard in the world, and Voldemort wants to depose him and take that position for himself. Going into this new book, Dumbledore was already a marked man, with the Ministry of Magic under Voldemort's control and seeking to disgrace Dumbledore any way they could. Hell, in this book they impose a Spanish Inquisition-style dictatorship over Hogwarts, and Dumbledore goes on the run. He was already being built up as this great leader due to be knocked off his perch if we were to take Voldemort seriously as a threat. Wouldn't it have been dramatically satisfying for Voldemort's manipulations and sneak attacks to have resulted in Dumbledore's death, thereby forcing Harry to step up and take Voldemort head-on, without any help or protection? The big battle sequence at the end of the book would have been PERFECT to give Dumbledore a spectacular and tragic send-off, especially as furious as said battle was.

Alas, the "big death" wasn't worth the hype. In fact, it was very badly handled. Without spiling anything for those who haven't read it yet....

1. The deceased is a character most people probably aren't going to care about, or be the least bit impressed with.

2. His death has no sense of tragedy to it. It's just BOOM, and he's gone. No build-up to his demise, no foreboding of doom, no anticipation...it happened too fast, without any real sense of something horrible happening. I could have accepted the death better if there had been a build-up to it, or even if the death was handled in a horrifying and shocking manner. Alas, all we get is ZAP!, and he's gone.

It's a good book up until you get to the death scene. Very dark, very brutal, and tense as all get-out. But once the much-ballyhooed death scene comes along with a whimper, the story deflates quite a bit. Shame, really. Rowling could have really gone for the jugular and made that death scene truly wrenching and horrific. Instead all I can do is shrug and say, "That's it?" Shit, even the werewolf Remus Lupin being beaten to death by Voldemort's sidekick Wormtail--who has a silver hand--would have been better than what we got.

Frustrated! . . . with kids!
2500+ posts
2500+ posts
I had someone spoil me . . . since I don't plan on reading it . . .

So...if you really wanna know who BITES THE BIG ONE . . . just PM me and I'll tell ya. [mwah hwah haa]

1000+ posts
1000+ posts
quote:
Originally posted by Bianca:
I had someone spoil me . . . since I don't plan on reading it . . .

So...if you really wanna know who BITES THE BIG ONE . . . just PM me and I'll tell ya. [mwah hwah haa]

Just tell them here. It's not like the death is some great shock or plot twist. Actually, it's so lame that it probably SHOULD be spoiled.

2500+ posts
2500+ posts
Yeah, that's what the person who told me said...

It was "lame" to put it into one word.

kung-fu treachery
5000+ posts
kung-fu treachery
5000+ posts
Spoiler Alert

It is Sirius Black who is killed. Now I agree that the act of his death itself was kinda lacking. As put above it was zap and he was dead. But I think it still carries weight considering he was Harry's godfather and friend. He wanted to live with him (hehe, or Ron) and NOT the Dursleys. All in all I loved this book, IMO each one is better than the last and I cannot wait for the next.

"Hey this is PCG342's bro..."
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

The 'Mazing Cider-man said:
Much like the news of Darth Vader being the father of Luke & Leia, Im sure the media will notify us all in advance.

Exactly.

5000+ posts
5000+ posts
Quote:

Wednesday said:
But the creator of the teenage wizard said it was vital to be strong because if "you are writing children's books, you need to be a ruthless killer."

You do?

And that's terrible.
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Yes,now come here so I can chop your head off!

Goddess of the Universe
200+ posts
Goddess of the Universe
200+ posts
The title of the next one is Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.

Rowling said, in a interview with a Phoenix radio station, that if you read the new one (after it comes out), then re-read Chamber of Secrets, you'll find a clue about what will happen in the final Harry Potter book.

kung-fu treachery
5000+ posts
kung-fu treachery
5000+ posts
New Harry Potter Book Topping Wish Lists

1 hour, 18 minutes ago

By CATHERINE McALOON, Associated Press Writer

LONDON - The latest installment in the Harry Potter (news - web sites) series won

kung-fu treachery
5000+ posts
kung-fu treachery
5000+ posts
All right damnit, this shit is pissing me off. It wont let me post this story. What the fuck. It lets me post this, but not the story.

kung-fu treachery
5000+ posts
kung-fu treachery
5000+ posts

1 hour, 18 minutes ago

By CATHERINE McALOON, Associated Press Writer

LONDON - The latest installmen

kung-fu treachery
5000+ posts
kung-fu treachery
5000+ posts
The hell with it. The new book, Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince, is due out July 16, 2005. They are already taking preorders. Cheers.

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
This is now one of the funniest threads ever.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
Gothic Do-gooder
2500+ posts
Gothic Do-gooder
2500+ posts
I can't wait for the new book! Damnit, I can't believe I got swept into this, but the books are really good.

-----
Shiny!
Gothic Do-gooder
2500+ posts
Gothic Do-gooder
2500+ posts
"I went off and read the books after the audition and I read all four books in one sitting - you know - didn't wash, didn't eat, drove around with them on the steering wheel like a lunatic. I suddenly understood why my friends, who I'd thought where slightly backward, had been so addicted to these children's books. They're like crack."

-Jason Isaacs (Lucius Malfoy)

-----
Shiny!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
The Miami Herald

Posted on Wed, Dec. 22, 2004

CATHERINE McALOON, Associated Press

LONDON - The latest installment in the Harry Potter series won't hit stores for more than six months but it has already topped at least one bookseller's most wanted list and is racking up thousands of advance orders, retailers said Wednesday.

Less than 24 hours after publishers announced a July 16 release date for "Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince" - British author J.K. Rowling's sixth novel set in the halls of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry - it had shot to No. 1 on online bookseller amazon.co.uk's Hot 100 book list.

The list, calculated from all orders placed by customers on the retailer's Internet site, put the latest chapter in the boy wizard fantasy series ahead of best sellers such as Dan Brown's "The Da Vinci Code."

Amazon could not say exactly how many pre-orders it had gotten, but the company said its Web site had been deluged after it began taking orders for the novel late Tuesday.

"The fact that the book has already hit No. 1 in our Hot 100 books chart shows how incredibly excited customers are about the sixth Harry Potter," Amazon.co.uk managing director Robin Terrell said.

Amazon said it took 420,000 pre-orders for the fifth in the series, "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix," released in the summer of 2003, making it the largest ever pre-order item. The company was expecting a similar response for the latest installment.

Jo Marino, a spokeswoman for Waterstones bookstore chain, said customers had started calling its stores to place orders for the book immediately after publishers announced the release date Tuesday.

"There is so much demand people want to make sure they get their copy," Marino said.

She predicted plenty of readers would also wait until books hit the stores at 12:01 a.m. (0001 GMT) on July 16 to join in-store parties and pick up their copy in person.

"Without a doubt, I think we will be seeing queues around the block like we have for the previous books," she said. "People want to come down and be part of it."

She said when the last Potter book went on sale Waterstones' central London store started selling it just after midnight and had sold 2,000 copies within two hours.

"We think we will have the same sort of response," Marino said.

Publishers have said the new book takes up the story of Harry Potter's sixth year at Hogwarts when the powers of the villain Voldemort and his followers are increasing day by day.

A seventh and final novel will follow at a date yet to be announced.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

The 'Mazing Cider-man said:

I miss Cidey...

"Are you eating it...or is it eating you?"

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com] [/center]

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com][/center]
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Quote:

ShazamGrrl1 said:
The title of the next one is Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.

Rowling said, in a interview with a Phoenix radio station, that if you read the new one (after it comes out), then re-read Chamber of Secrets, you'll find a clue about what will happen in the final Harry Potter book.

Hmmmm....

"I offer you a Vulcan prayer, Mr Suder. May your

death bring you the peace you never found in

life." - Tuvok.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
You miss Cidey too, Catguy...I can tell...

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
He was very entertaining....

"I offer you a Vulcan prayer, Mr Suder. May your

death bring you the peace you never found in

life." - Tuvok.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: The 'Mazing Cider-man

Yeah?

THE Franta
3000+ posts
THE Franta
3000+ posts
SOILENT GREEN IS PEOPLE

YOU PUT SOUP IN IT!
15000+ posts