1000+ posts
OP Offline
1000+ posts
New talk thread for the new story

living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
Euro, fantastic post in the Strikeforce thread. When you take the time and effort to write like that, you're capable of some amazing stuff.

1000+ posts
OP Offline
1000+ posts
I have started a Strikeforce thread for whoever would like to write more "plain-superheroes-like" stories set in the HR universe.

Rules:
1 the Manhattan situation is forbidden to touch even with a six mile long pole
2 Nothing else

My idea for the series is that the motivations of the heroes composing the Strikeforce should be genuine... they are true heroes. But Merlin is the same sleazy bastard, so he will try to bend every mission to his own motivations.

So, my idea for the long run is that the heroes should slowly learn who and what Merlin really is, and at some point kick him out of the team.

Also, I think it would be interesting to base loosely the character over the Avengers, since the last time we used the JLA as an inspirational theme.
But it is just a suggestion.

1000+ posts
OP Offline
1000+ posts
Quote:

Grimm said:
Euro, fantastic post in the Strikeforce thread. When you take the time and effort to write like that, you're capable of some amazing stuff.

Thank you, Grimm. It means a lot to me.

living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
You earned it there. I look forward to seeing what you come up with. Are you going to attempt to try to continue the originally planned rivalry with Vanguard Main?

[insert non-dated reference here]
10000+ posts
10000+ posts
I've created characters loosely based on Thor and Hank Pym.

The Elemental: A child of the gods, he has the powers of and over fire, water, air, and earth. His eternal nemesis is his twin brother, the Entity (or "He-Who-Should-Not-Be-Named"). More info on him will be seen in the story, but suffice it to say that the Elemental is the result of unions between four pantheons of gods -- the Olympians (Greek), the Aesir (Norse), the Egyptian gods, and the Hindu gods (India).

Graviton: Dr. Augustus von Braun is a genius inventor who has invented a method of both shrinking himself to the size of an insect and expanding himself to the size of a medium-sized apartment building (but don't sweat the physics -- the laws of physics are not the same as in our world;)). I will also create a character based on the Wasp very soon.

Last edited by The Time Trust; 2004-07-03 8:03 AM.
10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Quote:

Eurostar said:
Also, I think it would be interesting to base loosely the character over the Avengers, since the last time we used the JLA as an inspirational theme.

Or at least the characters should be metas powerful enough to be able to join the Avengers or the JLA. No "guys with guns" need apply -- leave that to Vanguard.

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Quote:

The Time Trust said:
Doctor Quantum: A genius inventor, the other Dr. Q (not to be confused with a certain Dr. Quantos) has invented a method of both shrinking himself to the size of an insect and expanding himself to the size of a medium-sized apartment building (but don't sweat the physics -- the laws of physics are not the same as in our world;)). I may also create a character based on the Wasp.

Hmmm... on second thought, I'm going to change his name in the story to "Graviton". It's too easy to confuse "Doctor Quantum" with Dr. Quantos.

Last edited by The Time Trust; 2004-07-03 8:04 AM.
1000+ posts
OP Offline
1000+ posts
Quote:

Grimm said:
You earned it there. I look forward to seeing what you come up with. Are you going to attempt to try to continue the originally planned rivalry with Vanguard Main?

I have no definite plans about it.

I guess if people respond to this thread, creating cool character like the one created for the second strikeforce, the original goal of many posters, to oppose their Strikeforcers to their Vanguardians, should be fulfilled.

But in the long run what I am interested into is to have something like the old MBL in this Universe, to tell stories that Vanguard would not be suited to tell.

The Strikeforce, even if they hearned it through lies, are regarded as stars. They should be loved as rock stars, or Hollywood stars. There should be merchandise about them, and maybe also worship... surely the inhabitants of Paris are great supporters of Merlin and the Strikeforce...

What are they going to be? JLA? JSA? LEGION? AUTHORITY?

My most loved interpretation of superheroes is Robinsons' Golden Age... ture superheroes and also true human being... but I want to be this a collective story with as many possible posters, so it will be the group to give directions.

By the way, I would like to have the Strikeforce huge, as a "army force" should be, so, like TTT has done, the rule "one character for poster" would not work here.
It could be still implemented for the narration of the missions, but not for the menebership... To explain, I say that everybody could add any characters as he wants... just a maximum of... let's say... ten could partecipate to a mission. If there are ten posters, each one could bring one character... if there are less, some "wild cards" could be brought along.

As to what character to chose, the leader will do that. The field leader, that has not to be necessarly Merlin....

1000+ posts
OP Offline
1000+ posts
Quote:

The Time Trust said:
Quote:

Eurostar said:

Or at least the characters should be metas powerful enough to be able to join the Avengers or the JLA. No "guys with guns" need apply -- leave that to Vanguard.

Yes, I second that. It's not important if they are metas or norms with special devices... as long as they "appear" superpowered.

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
My take on this Strikeforce is that, while the past teams have been heroes in name only, these guys are heroes for real. In other words, although Jack Merlin has his own less-than-honorable motives for creating the Strikeforce, the third group of Strikeforcers have much more noble motives (though of course they earn a paycheck -- everyone has to earn a living somehow).

As Euro says, this Strikeforce story (or series of stories) is meant for us to tell a "super-hero team" type of story without all the baggage in Vanguard, which is decidedly not a "classic hero team" at all.

The Strikeforce stories are here so we can participate in more "cosmic" world-spanning, even universe-spanning, stories than the typical kinds of stories seen in the Vanguard issues. Whereas Vanguard is more down-to-earth and usually clandestine, the Strikeforce's adventures are usually about very dangerous threats around the world and the team is usually seen by the public eye. And they're not bound by geography. Their cases can occur literally anywhere on Earth (except Manhattan as per the rule) and sometimes off-Earth.

1000+ posts
OP Offline
1000+ posts
Just to contraddict my words above... I introduced a powerless archer into the group (the Hawkeye of the team).

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
I don't think I'm going to do anything with this. I don't think there's anything wrong with the idea, but I shouldn't really even be writing in the main story if my solo isn't being worked on.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
notnotnotnotnotnotnotwedge
2500+ posts
notnotnotnotnotnotnotwedge
2500+ posts
I have an idea for a character who'd based on a former Avenger who's currently (and probably better known as) a member of a certain team with an "X" in its name...

Freak: Dr. Harvey McNeil was clearly different from birth. Both his hands and feet were oversized and he had a small tail. As he grew, he displayed incredible physical abilities that made him a star athlete in school and he also proved to be very intelligent. While he was doing his Doctoral work in college, he attempted a dangerous genetics experiment in which he was exposed to a powerful mutegen that both gave him greater abilities and made his appearance stranger. He became lizard-like with clawed hands and feet, a long tail and bright green scales all over his body. He was still as intelligent as ever and now holds degrees in both genetics and electronic engineering. like, well, a freak, he still has a light outlook on life. He's friendly, outgoing and has a tendency to use big words that other people have trouble understanding.

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Sweet! Can't wait to see that character join up...

4000+ posts
4000+ posts
I'm about to post in the Vanguard story to make it clearer what it's actually about...

Thing is- I can’t spell or type. I spell so badly my spell check doesn’t even know what I was trying to spell. And I have five Eisners HAHAHAHHA!! -Brian Michael Bendis
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
Quote:

Eurostar said:My idea for the series is that the motivations of the heroes composing the Strikeforce should be genuine... they are true heroes. But Merlin is the same sleazy bastard, so he will try to bend every mission to his own motivations.

Very good idea. And very good posts. Congrats.

Quote:

Nah. I don't like the Avengers. They're... Marvel.

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
Grimm - awesome post in the Siege thread. A whole special could be done about that idea.

About the Strikeforce, I think I'll be moving Nobody there after the current Vanguard issue, and I'll bring another character into Vanguard, as I think Nobody would fit better there. Since we can use more than one character there, I'll also bring in another guy to the Strikeforce (pretty soon I hope).

1000+ posts
OP Offline
1000+ posts
Very cool, Mxy.

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
That short post was quite lame and not what I planned, but I wanted to introduce the character now and I don't have much time. I'll ellaborate on him tomorrow.

Guess who he's based on...

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Grimm?

4000+ posts
4000+ posts
Villain of the piece for the Vanguard story is revealed in my post.

Do what you will with the soldier men. I don't know what their weapons are capable of or how tough their armour is or whatever. They're from the future. Make it up.

Thing is- I can’t spell or type. I spell so badly my spell check doesn’t even know what I was trying to spell. And I have five Eisners HAHAHAHHA!! -Brian Michael Bendis
1000+ posts
OP Offline
1000+ posts
Quote:

Danny said:
Villain of the piece for the Vanguard story is revealed in my post.

Do what you will with the soldier men. I don't know what their weapons are capable of or how tough their armour is or whatever. They're from the future. Make it up.

Shoking revelation, Danny! Very cool, I can't guess where this is going...

1000+ posts
OP Offline
1000+ posts
Quote:

The Time Trust said:
The Strikeforce stories are here so we can participate in more "cosmic" world-spanning, even universe-spanning, stories than the typical kinds of stories seen in the Vanguard issues.

Not that I think Vanguard couldn't had that kind of stories.

For me, the main difference between the two organization is mainly logistic. While Vanguard, as a private organization, needs to interface with governments, asks for permissions to fly routes, report and relate with police bodies, find founding, and things like that, the Strikeforce, more or less, is above all. They have a total clearance over most of the world.

They are a police force that has not to answer to local forces. That could create some nice clashes, at some point and somewhere.

Also, the world looking at them as stars, they are out of the general dislike for metahumans. So, where they go, the people loves them, and want to help them.

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
ACK-2.0! Nice. I was hoping someone would pick up on my "Iron Man" hint and get the ball rolling. Since Japanese pop-culture is obsessed with robots, who better than a Japanese person to be dressed up in a robotic uniform, right?

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
I'm guessing Brandon Mullarney / Hero will be playing the "Captain America" role, right? Except instead of a nationalistic motif, which would obviously be too limiting for a WORLD-spanning team, his ideal is the United Nations and the peace between the nations that it stands for. Very cool.

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Okay, so for Strikeforce 3 we've got:

The Elemental -- a god, descended from four pantheons, who has powers based on the four elements: fire, earth, air, & water
Graviton -- scientist, can grow as big as a giant or as small as an ant
Wilhelm Tell -- an archer
Brian Dead -- ???
ACK-2.0 -- robotic suit
Hero -- (does he have the same powers as his brother? That is, similar to the 1938 version of Superman?)

Not yet introduced in the story:

Freak -- a lizard-like genius
Ladybug -- Graviton's young female assistant who can shrink to the size of an insect as well as defy gravity and fly with insect-like wings.

Now all we need is a female member(s). Maybe even a sorceress...?

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Off-topic, mayhaps, but I just wanted to say that I loved the latest postings in Siege! I'd also be up for a Vanguard Prime one-shot should you ever consider doing it, Grimmers. Something to think about...

1000+ posts
OP Offline
1000+ posts
Quote:

Chewy Walrus said:
Off-topic, mayhaps, but I just wanted to say that I loved the latest postings in Siege! I'd also be up for a Vanguard Prime one-shot should you ever consider doing it, Grimmers. Something to think about...

Why off topic?

I too am enjoing the Siege a lot, each post is epic. And like Mxy and Chewy, I too would like to see a whole story devote to Vanguard Prime.

1000+ posts
OP Offline
1000+ posts
Quote:

The Time Trust said:
Okay, so for Strikeforce 3 we've got:

The Elemental -- a god, descended from four pantheons, who has powers based on the four elements: fire, earth, air, & water
Graviton -- scientist, can grow as big as a giant or as small as an ant
Wilhelm Tell -- an archer
Brian Dead -- ???
ACK-2.0 -- robotic suit
Hero -- (does he have the same powers as his brother? That is, similar to the 1938 version of Superman?)

Not yet introduced in the story:

Freak -- a lizard-like genius
Ladybug -- Graviton's young female assistant who can shrink to the size of an insect as well as defy gravity and fly with insect-like wings.

Now all we need is a female member(s). Maybe even a sorceress...?

TTT, you are right on the spot with Hero. He fills the Captain Amrica spot, but not in the patriotic sense (after all he is from New Zealand, and I don't know what a patriotic New Zealander could mean to people of the world). He is the iconic figure, the one everyone should instantly recognize. He wears the flag of the United Nation, and he is the brother of the man who (apparently) saved Paris from the meteor and later was killed by Vanguardians in Mandelovia.

His brothers power's were 1938 Superman level: I would make him more powerful. I would say John Byrne 1985 Superman level, but that would be maybe too much, so, let's keep the same powers but to an higher degree: he can jump for five miles up and long, he is Mach 3 fast, he is superstrong, has impenetrable skin, superhearing and a long distance vision.

But he has a weakness to something much commoner than kriptonite: platinum.
Obviously the weakness is proportional to the amount of platinum: a wedding ring of platinum could leave a small scar on his impenetrable skin, while to make him senseless you need, let's say, his same weight. And platinum topped bullet can pierce his skin.

That's a lot of power: but Hero is scared to use it. There are things of the past, to be discovered later, that makes him very scared about his own powers. As a consequence of the live he has lived, he is very shy, and don't feel at ease to be in the role eh has been put by Merlin, that want to capitalize over the fanaticism, even cult like status the original Hero has gained in Paris and France and parts of Europe.

He accepted the mantel of Hero just because he wants revenge for the death of Frank (his brother). His only goal is one day to fight Vanguard to avenge the murder.
Aside that, he is a timid guy, that seems to not like company and is usually grim.

It is to be seen if what will accomplish worjking in the Strikeforce will change him, for better or worse.

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
Quote:

The Time Trust said:
Grimm?

Nope. Indie comic.

living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
Their own story? I'm glad you guys like it, but I think enough on my plate right now. You will be seeing more of them in the Siege, though.

See if you can figure out all the connections they have to the regular Vanguard.

Grimm #310269 2004-07-04 6:29 PM
10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Axel Magus. Heh.

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Hey, what does "A.C.K." stand for, anyway? I never paid enough attention the first time around, I guess...

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
Automated Something Something.
Though I created the character (a long time ago... I even used it briefly at the end of the old universe), Euro introduced him to this universe, so I'm not sure how he named him.

Grimm #310272 2004-07-05 12:52 AM
10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Quote:

Grimm said:
See if you can figure out all the connections they have to the regular Vanguard.

Persephone and Harlequinn are the only ones I'm not really sure of...

living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
Once I get a few more posts with them in, I'll put up a reference post for them in the "Guide to the Siege" thread.

Grimm #310274 2004-07-05 1:28 AM
10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Wunderbar! Harlequinn really reminded me more of Joker1 from TOMB than anyone else...

living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
Because he was hitting on Nuriko? if so, purely accidental. He was actually intended to be an unrelated character. A cross between Nightwing and the Creeper. . .

Grimm #310276 2004-07-05 1:41 AM
10000+ posts
10000+ posts
I was thinking more along the lines of his name, appearance, and acrobatic abilities...

Euro: I just finished The Odyssey and didn't think it was half bad. Like TTT said, the ending was very rushed and I would've liked to see more happen there. Still, I loved your use of Knell and Omicron and your writing of Walker was - as near as I can tell - perfect! Seems you were right... Another criticism, if I may - I was sad to see Buitre, the Cavallis, and Nemo go so easily and 'off-screen' as well. I especially always liked the character of Frank. I seriously hope it's not the end for them... All things considered, though, it was a very enjoyable story. Kudos!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard