Print Thread
#319188 2004-07-23 6:03 PM
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Quote:

SAN FRANCISCO - The California Supreme Court has agreed to decide whether crude sexual language used by writers on the set of the hit comedy show "Friends" should be considered sexual and racial harassment or constitutionally protected free speech.

Amaani Lyle, who worked as an assistant to the show's writers in 1999, sued the Warner Brothers studio and three writers on the show, claiming the writers' language and constant discussion of sex created an oppressive work environment. Lyle, who is black, also charged that the writers frequently mocked black people.

On Wednesday, the state Supreme Court agreed to consider the case.

According to court documents, the writers named as defendants in the case acknowledged using coarse and sexually vulgar language, but said it was part of the creative process of producing scripts for a show about sexually active young people.

A Los Angeles Superior Court judge dismissed Lyle's suit in 2002, but it was reinstated after a state appeals court ruled that the defense's position was not strong enough to justify the dismissal.

"Within limits, however...defendants may be able to convince a jury the artistic process for producing episodes of 'Friends' necessitates conduct which might be unacceptable in other contexts," wrote Justice Earl Johnson, suggesting that the writers' claim of "creative necessity" could be a credible defense in the case.

Lawyers for the defendants pressed for an appeal to the state Supreme Court, warning that the appeals court ruling could have a "chilling effect" on other media.

In 1999, a divided court upheld a San Francisco judge's ruling banning repeated racial slurs in the workplace.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
Those motherfucking gay crackers.

[insert non-dated reference here]
10000+ posts
[insert non-dated reference here]
10000+ posts
I'm surprised nobody's made a Chris Oakley joke yet...

100+ posts
100+ posts
those fuckers got nothin' on me!

I'm Chris Oakley from 40 years in the future!

Link Copied to Clipboard