Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
.... Can someone please kill me now? This was the worst piece of shit ever put on TV. And I'm including Cop Rock. What a load of horse shit! Did a fucking six year-old write that trash? Oh.... wait.... it was probably Jeph Loeb. And, like all Jeph Loeb stories, I knew the ending pretty much from the very beginning.

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S

So Kal's pappa was on Earth 42 years ago and met the parent, grandparent, or aunt of ever major player in the current show. For some reason that is completely unknown and not even attempted to be explained, Lex's granddad shows up in 1961 Smallville and tries to commit an armed mugging IN BROAD DAYLIGHT ON THE TOWN'S BUSY MAIN STREET! And it gets even more retarded from there.

The shitty psuedo-science they used to explain Clark's flashbacks almost made me vomit. Apparently, grandpa Kent was such a good judge of character that he had absolutely no problem helping a suspected murder escape to a mysterious rendevous with his friends. Grandpa Kent, you're a fucking tool.

There's more, much more, shit in this episode. I just don't have the strength or sanity left to go list them.

Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
Why would they have Jor-El on Earth?...oy...

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
So we can have this crap-ass episode.

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
i liked it. first time they showed flight. The murder of Lex's grandpa was great.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Ok. I can explain the reasons why I didn't like it. Can you tell me why you did?

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Smallville can be pretty up and down. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's terrible. This looked like one of the episodes I wanted to avoid. I hate those stories that show some "past history" where in some contrived way the characters all met each other beforehand. I hate that predestination/fate crap.

2000+ posts
2000+ posts
I completely forgot to watch or tape this show last night, but it sounds kinda hokey. In fact, it reminds me of an old Silver Age story from 1963 called "The Babies of Smallville" which told a flashback story in which Baby Clark, Baby Lana, and even Baby Lex foiled a bunch of crooks. It was bad, but in the context of the Silver Age it was fun. I'm not saying that this episode is on par with that silly story (since I haven't seen it), but it's not the first time that I've been ticked off at the improbability of the events in the show.

Some of the stunts they pull would work better in the context of a sitcom like the Simpsons or Futurama (where the status quo is always restored by the end of the episode), but not in a pseudo-drama sci-fi show like Smallville. Clark Kent should long ago have been exposed to the world many times over for the stunts he's pulled in the context of the show. It doesn't do much to hold up the suspense of disbelief necessary for any sci-fi show.

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
yeah, ok. it was corny and silly.

y'sorta havta check all that at the door when tuning into watch smallville. its comes with the territory.

"doctor who" wasn't exactly shakespeare.

the one universal characteristic of comic book / sci fi (etc) fans is they'll always see something else within the field and comment on it negatively, without realizing that someone could provide similar nitpicks about anything else in the genre, even something they like. ... the other universal characteristic is that they'll one day point that out to someone else.

just as mufasa told simba, its the circle of life.

that said, yeah, ill concede, this episode was towards the lower end of the spectrum for the most part.

im also notta big fan of the "hey, i look just like my grandfather, and you look just like your grandmother" type things, so the characters can play themselves in the flashbacks. silly. and, ok, the fact that all major stars in the current-day scenes have relatives that all interacted in exactly the same several-day span is also a lil too coincidental.

we could nitpick that to death, or just accept it as a "lets not pay too much attention" aspect that all comic/sci fi fans should adopt.

if you can allow yerself to get past it...

the episode had its moments. for one thing, lana is pretty frickin hot, especially portraying her apparently-slutty aunt. bonus.

the flying scene was actually pretty cool. it was a way for "clark" to reveal he's superman to "lana" (to the fans) without it actually happening, and thus, killing all suspense and build up the show offers to the superman story. like dreaming of christmas morning the night before the actual day.

the idea of having jor-el actually scope out places around the universe also had its merrits. instead of the classic "we love our son and want to save him... lets shoot him into space!" storyline, which never made much sense to me... we have a father figure who, in an effort to save his son, sends him to a place he's already A-OK'd. he interviewed the babysitter, got the references, and signed his approval. "smallville will protect my son."

its a twist on the superman mythos that, good or bad, at least gives the opportunity of telling a new story (rather than just replaying the 1977 superman film)

then, there's the developing luthor storylines... the rift/bond growing between lex and his father -- how lex seemingly wants to act like both clark, but the lex luthor we've all known for years is still inside. the fact that lionel is so our-lex-luthor-like that he (possibly) murdered his own family out of shame of their lack-of-power.

so there was good.

and, the modern lesson is that you take the good. you take the bad. you take them both? ... you know.

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Kamphausen:

Blasphemy!

500+ posts
500+ posts
The way I saw it, they were having fun with the show. That deserves some merit. Smallville tends to be too melodramatic which can get damn depressing.

Any episode with Lionel's shady past is a good one to me. Next week's seems a little lame, so I hope there's enough with Luthor to balance out the 'freak of the week'.

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
quote:

But its unique and entertaining differnet from most other shows that were out there.

I dont mind some tweeking in the show....hell I reluctantly began to enjoy Lois & Clark in the beginning...
but this Smallville stuff is just another show on the WB....

Oh and Perry White now know Clark is Supes...or at least suspects it?!?!?
And people complained about the old Superboy stories....

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
quote:

y'sorta havta check all that at the door when tuning into watch smallville. its comes with the territory.

I look at both shows in context. Doctor Who was, for the most part, a kids' show. It's original intent was to be an educational show that taught history and science while keeping the kids entertained. When it was later found out that adults were also watching the show, it began to be peppered with some harder sci-fi ideas. You also have to consider the time frame in which they were made. Personally, Doctor Who was ten times better than Lost in Space, Land of the Giants, Battlestar Galactica, and, dare I say it, Star Trek. And, as Franta said, it was highly entertaining.

Smallville is supposed to be aimed at a higher demographic. Plus, it has done some really kick ass episodes. The last couple of shows from last season are prime examples. I fucking hate the constantly almost crying Lana and constantly jealous Chloe, but I was able to overlook those aspects due to some great writing and directing. The last episode was simply too horrible to overlook.

I never mentioned the Lex and Lionel because the whole Lex angle is the best damn thing in the show, period. Michael Rosenbaum's involvement with his character development really shines through in that aspect.

The fact is that this show can be very well done. I dismiss most of the bullshit due to the fact that I know they are trying to get a larger teenage girl audience. This episode was just badly done all the way around. No thought went into it. Not to mention that it really did destroy everything that they claim to be avoiding with the character (the cheesy comic book feel that is associated with comics from the mainstream). It also shows that a majority of characters on this show are simply plot devices and nothing more.

500+ posts
500+ posts
as long as marlon brando didn't play jor-el, it has some redeming value then.

some RKMB'ers are Obsessed with Black People Hmmm?
5000+ posts
5000+ posts
quote:
its a twist on the superman mythos that, good or bad, at least gives the opportunity of telling a new story (rather than just replaying the 1977 superman film)

Thank you!

That to me is the biggest draw of Smallville, that whether you're a comics fan or whether you're just a TV viewer with little to no knowledge of Superman, it's all new!

It's certainly better than having to sit there every Wednesday and go thru something familar (Oh, this is when Clark meets _____, this is when Clark does ______) I can think of nothing more boring and pointless than having to go thru the numbers of John Byrne's Superman (or anyone elses Superman for that matter).

This is a whole new mythos and yeah, sometimes it's silly, I'll admit the episode almost lost me when Lex's granfather was committing crime in Smallville. But then the revelation about Lionel made that bit of nonesense worth all the while. Some episodes also are also a bit too tidy where everything that happens gets resolved by the end of the episode, somethimes with great leaps of logic attached.

I also like the fact that Earth is somewhere familar to Kryptonians. I like the fact that Jor-El has been here before. I like the cave, I like Lionel Luthor, I like Chloe Sullivan, I like a black Pete Ross, I like a fallen Perry White. I like it because it's alll new and it's treading new territory that i'm sure people in our circles would never dare go lest they be branded a heretic or something.

Now what I don't like is this nonesense about Clark Kent. There is absolutely no reason why he shouldn't already be with Lana Lang! And this bit I think is all borne out of our world. The comics world. "clark can't be with Lana because he's supposed to be with Lois Lane". As if having more than 1 pussy in your life makes you somehow imperfect and unworthy. [yuh huh] In the real world (where this show is firmly grounded in) Clark usually either ends up looking like a wuss or else like a callous jerk when he constantly strings Lana along like that. And there is certainly nothing heroic or inspirational about that.

Y'know, I think it's actually possible to be a good person and an inspiration AND still have more than 1 woman or relationship in your entire life. He is Superman, not the friggin Pope!

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Rob said: "its a twist on the superman mythos that, good or bad, at least gives the opportunity of telling a new story (rather than just replaying the 1977 superman film"

Caught ya, Robbie!!! A gaffe!

The SUPERMAN film was released in 1978....

-Jim

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
You embarrass even me, sir.

2000+ posts
2000+ posts
What I personally like most about Smallville is that my city -- Vancouver -- is Metropolis, and that I used to go to the school that is now Smallville High on the small screen. That's too cool. [cool]

And yes, Vancouver IS that beautiful.

1500+ posts
1500+ posts
quote:
This was the worst piece of shit ever put on TV. And I'm including Cop Rock.
Ha ha, you watched Cop Rock.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
quote:

Okay. You're on my list, now... [you sunnuva...]

and, the modern lesson is that you take the good. you take the bad. you take them both...

...and there you have...the Facts of Life...

500+ posts
500+ posts
I like Smallville, it's entertaining and it's not on Fox or NBC.

The one thing that killed me about the mentioned episode, was that Clark saw Jor-El fly in his flashback.

Yet, Clark is still clueless that he can fly. If I was him, I'd be jumping off the barn roof from that moment on.

Every other flashback in that episode was summed up the moment he came back into "reality" and he reported what he saw to the other characters.

Not the goddamn flying thing.

Clark is just a dumbshit.

And with last night's/tonight's episode, he becomes a creepy dumbshit.

The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Smallville is a piece of shit....The end. [biiiig grin]

25+ posts
25+ posts
Did they show the Bat-Cave as well?

Frustrated! . . . with kids!
2500+ posts
Frustrated! . . . with kids!
2500+ posts
The power was out all night at my place last night!

I need someone to give me all the details because I don't know when I'll be able to catch this episode again. Spoil me with details people! Please!!!!

Your death will make me king!
15000+ posts
Your death will make me king!
15000+ posts
quote:
Originally posted by thedoctor:

Personally, Doctor Who was ten times better than... dare I say it, Star Trek.

Blasphemy!

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
quote:
Originally posted by whomod:

That to me is the biggest draw of Smallville, that whether you're a comics fan or whether you're just a TV viewer with little to no knowledge of Superman, it's all new!

I see. So COMIC fans and not FAN BOYS can enjoy it too. You.....BASTARD! [you sunnuva...] We have great numbers as well you know! Have you been to Comic Con before? CRAWLING with geeks!

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
quote:
Originally posted by thedoctor:
Personally, Doctor Who was ten times better than Lost in Space, Land of the Giants, Battlestar Galactica, and, dare I say it, Star Trek. And, as Franta said, it was highly entertaining.

How......DARE YOU!? [you sunnuva...]

Battlestar Galactica: Sure
Land of the Giants: No Doubt
Lost in Space:........... [eh... i dunno... ] (tie)

But HOW in the HELL can you say that it was better than STAR TREK!? [eh?] ......Wait....Wait, which Star Trek are you talking about?

As for your beef with Smallville, I understand completely. The answer's simple though: The show is a piece of shit, no facet of it-Character OR storyline entertains me in the slightest, so I toss to the wind.....And on a holiday, I buy the DVD set and piss on it. [um....  uh huh! ...  ]

5000+ posts
5000+ posts
quote:
Originally posted by Pariah:
quote:

I see. So COMIC fans and not FAN BOYS can enjoy it too. You.....BASTARD! [you sunnuva...] We have great numbers as well you know! Have you been to Comic Con before? CRAWLING with geeks!
Funny. In San Diego, most everyone there was gothic. I thought it was the fucking set of underworld or something..

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
I had a similar experience. Goths and Star Wars characters. Occasionally both.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Pariah:
quote:

Funny. In San Diego, most everyone there was gothic. I thought it was the fucking set of underworld or something..
Yep, and I was one of em'! [biiiig grin] Doesn't mean they weren't geeks. If you want more flaming ones though, go to the Atlanta and Dallas Cons.

Link Copied to Clipboard