Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#360543 2004-09-25 7:12 AM
2500+ posts
OP Offline
2500+ posts
Another week, another dumpster dive…

Up this week is a book which I actually overpaid for when I found it in a quarterbox. Unity #0 published in 1992 by Valiant and given away for free. I think I might have had another copy or two of this book, but I’ve found it’s just easier to pay another quarter copy for a new book than dig through my long-boxes for my old one (or ones, as is probably the case.) This was a pretty cool book when it came out, and still sends shivers down my spine 12 years later. Let me explain.

The Valiant story is kind of a long and screwy one, especially where I intersected with it. When Valiant first started publishing in the early nineties, I was overseas in the Army and my sole source of comics was the local Stars And Stripes bookstore on base. I remember perusing the back of the store and finding a whole stack of European album style books featuring Nintendo characters and WWF wrestlers. I checked out the credits and found Jim Shooter’s name on it and dropped it like a hot potato. At the time, I hated Jim Shooter. To most people of my generation who actually read Secret Wars and Secret Wars II, the last thing we ever wanted to see was a story written by Jim Shooter. As far as I was concerned, he was the Anti-Christ. I pretty much forgot all about the books and they sat there for at least another year (at least they were still there when I discharged…) and I don’t think anybody ever bought a copy. Comic distribution then meant getting whatever books Stars and Stripes got that month, pretty much like your local corner store. They got most of the big names (Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, X-Men etc.), but it was hit and miss which book you’d get each month. For instance, they always got Amazing Spider-Man in, but one month they might also get Web of Spider-Man to go alongside it. Next month, you’d get Amazing and Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man, but no Web. It was pretty much like that with all the major franchises. Forget mini-series. For those books and other “exotic” books like Annuals and such, you had to go into to town to the one comic shop that sold American comics and pay triple price. I ended up just getting subscriptions to my favorite books and catching up with the others when I got home. Anyways, getting back to Valiant, one odd thing that I noticed was that my local Stars and Stripes was getting tons of the early Valiant books. I mean stacks and stacks of the first issues of books like Rai, Magnus and Solar, Man of the Atom. I always thought this was weird, and at the time, I ignored ‘em like most other people did. I figured they must be selling big numbers back in the states if they were getting so many copies over there. Plus, with the taint of Jim Shooter clouding the books, I just walked right past ‘em. When I got home a year later and started hearing about the prices these books were selling for, I just about shit my pants. I remember reading that something like only 6000 copies of some of the early issues of Rai were printed, and I must have seen fifty of them collecting dust on that magazine rack. D’oh!

At the time that the Valiant books originally came out, Marvel and DC had moved away from the concept of telling good stories and was riding the wave that would later become the original Image creators. Rob Liefeld, Jim Lee and Todd McFarlane ruled at the time. Jim Shooter believed that good stories always won out and based the Valiant line on that. He had used the albums from earlier to gain a quick cash infusion and rolled that over into creating his own superhero line to compete with Marvel and DC. His first goal was to find some established characters that he could license cheap. He contacted the owners of the old Dell/Gold Key characters and got the rights to publish Magnus Robot Fighter, Dr. Solar and Turok and got them for damn cheap. Shooter and company launched Magnus and a re-titled Solar, Man of the Atom along with new concepts X-O Manowar (a cross between Iron Man and Rom the Spaceknight, featuring a sentient alien armor that crashed on Earth thousands of years ago and was found by a barbarian. The armor forced him into hibernation and then re-awakened him in modern times. Even the primary bad guys of the book, Spider-aliens or something like that, were pretty similar to Rom’s Dire Wraiths.), Rai, a futuristic Samurai book, Shadowman, which I really don’t too much about and Harbinger, which was essentially their version of X-Men, but actually turned out more similar to the original concept of New Mutants. (Harbinger is also notable for being Dave Lapham’s first major work, including his first stint as a writer.) Some creators of note who popped up early on at Valiant include Bob Layton, Don Perlin, David Michelinie, Steve Englehart and most importantly, Barry Windsor-Smith. Plus, Frank Miller and Walt Simonson did covers for various books. All of the above had worked at Marvel under Shooter and pretty “defected” to Valiant when it started up. Plus, Valiant is also notable for introducing Joe Quesada to the world. He actually started out in their production department doing coloring and touch-ups. The artwork on the books were never flashy (with BWS’s Solar being the most noticeable), but the stories quickly gained a reputation interesting and well-written. Originally, most of the books didn’t really seem to tie into each other at all, but that all changed with…

Unity!!!

Featuring a story written by Jim Shooter, penciled by Barry Windsor-Smith and inked by Bob Layton, Unity #0 kicks everything off with a bang. It’s pretty hard to get into the book cold if you don’t know anything at all about the Valiant universe or books. This is definitely a cross-over that involves everybody and everything and could pretty much be called “Valiant’s Crisis on Infinite Earths.” This book ties all the books together and sets up a “cohesive” universe. Events that occur in the modern day books affect the future books like Rai and Magnus. The whole story is set off by the origin of Solar, which featured not only Solar gaining quantum powers, but also a female named Erica Pierce who was involved in the same accident. Apparently, she gained similar powers, but instead of becoming a do-gooder, she was driven mad by the power and Unity chronicles her attempt to destroy the world, or whatever the hell she wanted to do. It’s been 10 years since I’ve read any of the original Valiant books, so my history of the whole thing is kinda hazy. Suffice it to say, even though it’s a good story, it’s definitely confusing if you don’t know much about Valiant history. Usually, company wide cross-overs come with hype stating that “Nothing will ever be the same.”, but they never really follow through. This time, they did it right. A major character died (but nobody really cared…), New books were launched (Eternal Warrior and Archer and Armstrong) and every book in the line actually had a reason to be published. It was actually quite nice. For awhile. Then Jim Shooter lost a power struggle and was removed from the company…

Valiant actually became more popular after Shooter, but mainly because of things that Shooter instituted and his successors ran with. Zero issues, coupons to collect for special issues, chromium covers (which I admit, were pretty cool…) and of course, sneaking new characters in by using cameos in other books. That was a cool concept the first couple of times they did it, but then things started getting out of control pretty quickly. The first time or two that they did it, you would find out that the next major character to get a book actually appeared six months ago for two or three panels in one of the other books. Kinda cool idea, made it seem like anything could happen and that nothing was unimportant. Then they started doing it all the time, to the point that they even started advertising it in the solicitations. “The left foot of a major new character in the Valiant Universe appears in this issue for the first time!!! Buy 100 copies and put your kids through college!!!” The one thing that Bob Layton and company didn’t understand that Jim Shooter did was that all the extra crap is just gravy. Flashy art, fancy covers and zero issues don’t mean anything if you don’t have a good comic book story to base it on. This proved to be Valiant’s downfall a few years later.

There was some cool stuff that came out of Valiant though. Does anybody remember Rai #0? I got a reprint of it when I bought the Rai TPB, and that book blew me away. In sixteen pages, it mapped out the past, present and future of the Valiant universe. It was a really cool idea at the time, and it caused all kinds of fanboy moments later on when things would happen in a book that had been foreshadowed in the zero issue. Of course, that was fun for a while, but the creators quickly learned that it also tied them into some sticky situations later down the road. The same thing happened to DC when they had to declare that Dark Knight was an Elseworld tale, just so that people would stop asking when and how Jason Todd was going to die. Sometimes when you extrapolate the future like that, you find yourself regretting it later. Even Dave Sim bemoaned the fact that he had painted himself into a corner when he stated that Cerebus would die alone and unloved. Yeah, it’s neat to look for hidden clues and stuff like that, but it limits the creators options in the long run.

After Jim Shooter left, Valiant suffered a pretty long drawn out death (or so it seemed, but it really wasn’t that long.) Books like The Second Life of Doctor Mirage, Geomancer and a team book called Secret Weapons were all garbage, adding nothing to the mix. I think there was even a second stab at creating a Unity type event, but by that time I (and most other fans) had completely given up. I remember at one point, Valiant tried to re-invigorate their line with an event called “Birthquake” which was more of an editorial shift than a crossover. Big name stars were brought into the main books and everything was re-vamped. I even remember hearing at the time that they tried to woo some of Marvels biggest names with high salaries (something like 45k an issue maybe?) The only two books that I remember even checking out were X-O Man-O-War by Ron Marz, Bart Sears and Andy Smith and Solar: Man of the Atom by Dan Jurgens. I don’t remember if any other books continued or who did them. Keith Giffen did a book called PunX and even though I’m a huge Giffen fan, even I admit that this wasn’t his best work. This lasted about a year, year and a half, and then Valiant was put out of it’s misery. For a short time, at least.

There’s been a few other stabs at making Valiant a go since then, but they really don’t have too much to do with original line. Someday, I’ll go into detail about Valiant’s second life (or VH2, as it was called) which was a line that I really enjoyed, and bought just about everything from (hell, I was one of about 75 people who even went to the panel at the Chicago Comicon that announced the birth of the new line, so I was there for that one from beginning to end!) Another thread for another day would be the Defiant line that Jim Shooter started after being ousted from Valiant (which, sadly, I own every book from too.)

Enough for now though. Think I’ll go pull out some of those old Valiants and skim through them again…

Get the fuck out!
2500+ posts
OP Offline
2500+ posts
Couple of other quick things...

Newsarama did an excellent article about the rise and fall of Valiant a few months back that can be found here. Check it out if you have time. It's pretty interesting...

Also, here's a good website with lots of crap about Valiant if anybody is interested... Valiantcomics.com. Features covers for everything and message boards too...

And a quick question for any hardcore fans. One of the last books published during the VH1 stage was a book called "Visitor" featuring a main character who was supposed to be somebody familiar to fans of the Valiant universe, but it was supposed to be a big mystery who he was. As soon as I heard this, I figured it was Peter Stanchek, who was the original leader of the Harbinger group who had been killed off a few years earlier, but I never bothered to pick up the book to find out. Does anybody know who the character ended up being?

Get the fuck out!
1000+ posts
1000+ posts
Quote:

rufusTfirefly said:
And a quick question for any hardcore fans. One of the last books published during the VH1 stage was a book called "Visitor" featuring a main character who was supposed to be somebody familiar to fans of the Valiant universe, but it was supposed to be a big mystery who he was. As soon as I heard this, I figured it was Peter Stanchek, who was the original leader of the Harbinger group who had been killed off a few years earlier, but I never bothered to pick up the book to find out. Does anybody know who the character ended up being?

I'm pretty sure it was Peter. I skimmed through the book that revealed his identity a few years ago.

Valiant was a pretty cool line, for all the reasons you said. That Unity-II crossover you mentioned earlier was called Chaos Effect, and, while I remember little about it, I remember I was annoyed because it seemed to negate some of the stuff in Rai 0 (for example, Geoff the geomancer was shown as an adult and in old age in Rai 0, yet he was eliminated in Chaos Effect).

Since Dark Horse is reprinting the old Dell Magnus and Solar stories, I'm hoping one day we can get more of the old Valiant stories reprinted. Valiant released TPBs for a lot of their earliest - and best - stories, but I'd like to see more of them, especially X-O Manowar (my favorite series from the line).

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
I really liked Valiant. X-O is one of my favorite characters. They did a lot of shit before anyone else ever did. A bunch of interesting and fun stories with great characters. Harbingers had a lot of humor snuck in with the fat chick who wanted to fly around in a cape and be superheroes when everyone else just wanted to stay alive. The issue where the comic nerds made fun of her because she told them that she collected Elfquest was great too. Rag Morales also did some Valiant work early in his career on the Turok series. The Shooter years for that company was their best. After Acclaim bought them out, they even went further downhill.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
Banned from the DCMBs since 2002.
15000+ posts
Banned from the DCMBs since 2002.
15000+ posts
....I liked Secret Wars.

Pimping my site, again.

http://www.worldcomicbookreview.com

The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
Dude. Is that........Is that ManOWar on the cover?

betrayal and collapse
5000+ posts
betrayal and collapse
5000+ posts
Quote:

Dave said:
....I liked Secret Wars.

Ditto.

...you tell stories, we tell lies.
2500+ posts
OP Offline
2500+ posts
Never really enjoyed Secret Wars that much. Hated Secret Wars II with a passion. Except for disco Beyonder, of course...

Get the fuck out!
2500+ posts
OP Offline
2500+ posts
After writing this, I pulled out all my old VALIANT's (had a whole long box full!), and just kinda looked at the covers and stuff, just to refresh my memory...Know what? Most of the stuff I had really was crap! I didn't realize how long I had stuck around with those books. Brrrr!

Did find some diamonds in the rough though. I forgot all about Armed and Dangerous by Bob Hall. Great freakin' read. Fans of Sin City or Stray Bullets should definately check that book out. It's not as good as those two, but still a great read. I also forgot that Mike Grell had done a couple books for them, including a "director's cut" of his Starslayer mini from the early eighties. I have all eight issues, but I don't think I ever got around to reading them...Should check it out...

Also found a lot of junk that I had forgotten about. H.A.R.D.Corps, Secret Weapons and DeathMate being the main ones. Never did bother picking up the DeathMate Red by Rob Liefeld. Scanned through the others, and while they weren't too bad, not really worth wasting time on either. I forgot how bad Timewalker had gotten. After the first few issues, and BirthQuake hit, they brought in SF writers to do alternate history type stories. They were so forgetable, I had completely wiped them out of my brain. Lots of other junk too, but I really don't even want to think about them right now...

I realized I still really liked a lot of the VH2 stuff though. Quantum and Woody was a great book (the only thing by Priest/Jim Owsely that I've ever enjoyed, I believe...) and Fabian Niceiza (sp?) stuff on Turok is still probably the best stuff he ever did. And I forgot all about the Solar quarterly book that they were putting out. Different big name creators on each book, making in more of an "event" like book. Warren Ellis and Jim Krueger were two of the names I caught while flipping through the box. Plus, early Patrick Zircher art, which was some of my favorite at the time. Too bad his current stuff doesn't hold up as well...

Get the fuck out!

Link Copied to Clipboard