Next Thread
Print Thread
Bianca Offline OP
Frustrated! . . . with kids!
2500+ posts
OP Offline
Frustrated! . . . with kids!
2500+ posts
I heard about this on the radio this morning on my way to work. A couple of callers said that this kind of thing goes on Down South all the time.

This is the first I've ever heard of it.

I'm feeling kinda disturbed about the whole thing.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
October 27, 2004
Schneider: Church display kills Halloween spirit

This Halloween in Lansing there's horror, and then there's HORROR.

Jennifer Dent took a birthday-party group of 11-year-olds to the "House of Horrors" in Delta Township on Saturday night.

Dent, who lives in Lansing, expected to treat the kids to the standard, good-natured haunted house-type thrills. Instead, she got graphic depictions of:

• Teen suicide

• Date rape

• Child molestation

• Abortion

• Drug abuse

• A terrorist beheading

And, oh yes, a marriage between two men ... performed by Satan himself.

Early in the tour - about the time an older man started unbuckling his pants while a teenaged boy got down on his hands and knees - Dent pulled the plug, and demanded a refund, which she received. Admission to the House of Horrors is $6; $10 for an "express lane."

Dent's purpose in calling me was to warn others who might blunder into the House of Horrors - at 644 Migaldi Lane, off West Saginaw Highway - thinking it's good, clean fun.

House of sin

The exhibit is sponsored by Mount Hope Church, on Creyts Road, which created similar "sin as horror" Halloween displays in the late 1990s.

The 2004 version opened Friday. Since then I've heard from a dozen readers, all of whom were appalled by the display.

Jamie Ackerman, an MSU sophomore who blundered in, said it was "nothing more than a ploy by the church to push its beliefs onto unknowing people in search of a little Halloween fun."

Aaron Mitchell of Holt wrote: "It is not this church's right to blindside the unsuspecting public with crap like this.

"These are topics that deserve to be taught to our children at the appropriate age, and in an appropriate manner. Not in the context of a fun Halloween event."

Mike DeRosia of Lansing wrote: "They let me go in with children under 11. We left when the kid hung himself."

Alternative horror

Defending the House of Horrors, Ricardo Torrez, Mount Hope's assistant youth director, said:

"We definitely understand why people would be upset and moved by the scenes. They're shocking events."

Torrez added: "Our number one goal is to supply an alternative to the ghost-and-goblins entertainment side of Halloween."

Torrez acknowledged that advertising for the House of Horrors neglects to mention its affiliation with Mount Hope Church, but denied that it was a deliberate attempt to deceive anybody.

Mount Hope Church fliers are distributed at the House of Horrors, Torrez said - as people leave.

The recording people get when they call the House of Horrors number included in the ads also makes no mention of its connection to the church.

It does, however, warn callers of the "real life and graphic nature" of the display, and informs them that it may not be appropriate for kids younger than 11.

The final station of the House of Horrors features Mount Hope representatives offering membership in the church as an antidote to the devil's work.

Torrez acknowledged that "a handful" of House of Horrors patrons have asked for their money back.

What do you think? Call John Schneider at 377-1175, send a fax to 377-1298 or e-mail jschneid@lsj.com. Include your name, phone number, city, town or township.

Ahh man... - Bianca
Ahh woman... - Pat

Bianca & Patrick ~ September 30, 2006
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Churches have been doing this for a LONG time. I'm not a fan and most churches aren't into this type of trick-sans-treat. A church shouldn't have to trick people into hearing thier message.

Putting the "fun" back in Fundamentalist Christian Dogma. " I know God exists because WBAM told me so. " - theory9 JLA brand RACK points = 514k
He tastes of America
15000+ posts
He tastes of America
15000+ posts
Yep, I've seen a couple of those when I lived down South.

He fixes the cable?
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
Most churches I know of that do any kind of haunted-house alternative let you know very clearly what they have in mind before you go in. This case was either just poorly-planned advertising or a deliberate attempt to fool people into expecting something else.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ

Link Copied to Clipboard