15000+ posts
OP Offline
Your death will make me king!
15000+ posts
komo news

Bill Would Hold Game Makers Accountable For Players' Actions
March 1, 2005

By George Howell

SEATTLE - Should the people who make and sell "violent video" games be held accountable if someone commits a crime because of playing them?

That's something our state lawmakers are considering, to open game makers up to more liability.

House Bill 2178 proposes to hold the makers and sellers of violent video games liable if someone under 17 years old commits a crime, due in any part, to playing the game.

Supporters of the bill, like Bill Hanson with the Washington Police and Sheriff's Association, say "kids" are getting the games, and they're becoming desensitized.

"If you sit up and watch this and play these games over and over again... it seems that this is alright to walk up and hit a police officer over the head with a bat," Hanson said.

Opponents argue that the proposed bill would shift the responsibility from the person who actually committed the crime.

Lew McMurran, with the Washington Software Association, says violent games are clearly rated for adults only, and that the responsibility should be on parents to use the video game rating system and control what their kids are playing.

"We're removing the responsibility from the person who committed the act, to somebody else who's completely removed from the situation" McMurran said. "There's a very strong video game industry in this state that we want to support. We don't want to bring undo attention to an area where there's actually jobs being created, where there's actually some good economic development in our state"

House Bill 2178 is still in the committee stage in the state House of Representatives.

2500+ posts
2500+ posts
What's next - holding the automobile industry responsible for drunk driving?

This is ridiculous.

"Well when I talk to people I don't have to worry about spelling." - wannabuyamonkey "If Schumacher’s last effort was the final nail in the coffin then Year One would’ve been the crazy guy who stormed the graveyard, dug up the coffin and put a bullet through the franchise’s corpse just to make sure." -- From a review of Darren Aronofsky & Frank Miller's "Batman: Year One" script
2500+ posts
2500+ posts
Quote:

Wednesday said:
Lew McMurran, with the Washington Software Association, says violent games are clearly rated for adults only, and that the responsibility should be on parents to use the video game rating system and control what their kids are playing.

Agreed. At my dad's Blockbuster (and probably at others), the policy is that kids cannot rent violent games - only their parents can. And the parents are always warned about the violent content.

Quote:

"We're removing the responsibility from the person who committed the act, to somebody else who's completely removed from the situation" McMurran said.

Also agreed.

"Well when I talk to people I don't have to worry about spelling." - wannabuyamonkey "If Schumacher’s last effort was the final nail in the coffin then Year One would’ve been the crazy guy who stormed the graveyard, dug up the coffin and put a bullet through the franchise’s corpse just to make sure." -- From a review of Darren Aronofsky & Frank Miller's "Batman: Year One" script
3000+ posts
3000+ posts
Its goddamned shit like this that reminds me why I have the political views that I do. Nothing and I mean nothing riles me more than this kind of ignorant Ashcroftian philosophy. These archaic devolved politicians need an easy out, and easy blame filled with unsubstantial viewpoints. If we were a few decades older these would be the people that burned books just because video games hadnt been invented yet.

500+ posts
500+ posts
Both political parties suck when it comes to this shit! There is a bill floating around that wants to regulate cable and satellite radio the same way the public air waves are regulated. Why? Clear Channel. I hope people are ready to fight for their 1st, 2nd and what ever ammendment these political ass clowns choose to take away. This shit is out of control!!!!! Maybe if our public education system would spend time teaching the Constitution and economics more people would get pissed about stuff like this.

There are people that hate Howard Stern but by god he was right on this one. This country needs a political party that gets it when it comes to DEFENDING the Constitution. We need to bring our military home so they can fight for our freedom! Then we can talk about defending the freedom of others.

Life is short,,,, make it count......
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Quote:

Fused said:
Nothing and I mean nothing riles me more than this kind of ignorant Ashcroftian philosophy.

Wouldn't it be more Libermonian philosophy?

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
It would fit Liebemans agenda. That guy has been anti-videogames since the beginning.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
希望の戦士
2000+ posts
希望の戦士
2000+ posts
Quote:

Supporters of the bill, like Bill Hanson with the Washington Police and Sheriff's Association, say "kids" are getting the games, and they're becoming desensitized.

Give me strength.

It's not enough that some people have children and choose to ignore their responsibilities and blame it on someone else when something goes wrong.

Where have they been the past decade? People started complaining about video game content around the time Mortal Kombat 1 was released on SNES, Genesis, Game Gear, and Game Boy. Nintendo responded by cutting back on the blood and guts, replacing blood with sweat and replacing a few of the gory finishing moves. Sega responded by creating their own rating system (back before ESRB), which consisted of GA, MA-13, and MA-17, and they pulled the unrated Sega CD Night Trap game off the shelves. A year later, the game was re-released with an MA rating, both on Sega CD and 32X CD. In the letters page of a Mortal Kombat comic, Malibu said "The game is 60 dollars. A young child isn't going to walk into a store alone with 60 dollars in cash to buy this or any video game."

A woman bought her 11 year old son Primal Rage for Genesis, even though it was rated T for teen. Then she saw Chaos's finishing move and complained to the media to get the game pulled off the shelves. One buyer said "I don't want to be denied my freedom to play a game just because some woman doesn't like the content. Leave my constitutional rights alone."

Another woman who didn't have cable didn't do anything when her lighter and matches came up missing, then her son set their house on fire and she blamed it on Beavis & Butthead. Mike Judge decided that he would delete all reference to fire from the show, and he did. One episode, Beavis says "Liar! Liar! Pants on-- WHOA!" Another episode, Butthead says "We gotta get rid of that smoke alarm." and Beavis says "But what if there's a... umm nevermind..."

When the South Park movie came out, a customer said to me "My 13 year old son wants to see it but they won't let him in, even though his older brother is 20, they said he has to be 21. Is it that vile?" I said "It's rated 'R'" Why was she asking me this? She's the mother, she's supposed to find these things out, she's supposed to know what they don't exactly air on Nick Jr. The movie is about children sneaking into an offensive movie, and the parents blaming the movie makers. Incidentally, a lot of kids bought tickets to Wild Wild West and snuck in to see South Park.

What's next?

"I let my child play with a Ginsu knife and she cut her finger, so I'm going to sue Ginsu for not making their knives so childproof that they can't even cut through melted butter!"

2500+ posts
2500+ posts
When Jet Li's Kiss Of The Dragon came out, he requested on his official website that parents not take their kids to see it on account of the extreme violence. There as no public outcry about the violence, no condemnation or media buzz. Jet came to the decision on his own and acted on his own because he thought it was the right thing to do.

Here's what he said in its entirety.

http://jetli.com/jet/index.php?s=work&ss=essays&p=28c

Quote:

Hi, This is Jet Li.

Just yesterday I watched the completed version of Kiss of the Dragon.

After Romeo Must Die was released many fans on my website posted their opinions about the movie -- what they liked and didn't like, what they wanted to see in my future films -- and so I utilized many of these suggestions when developing Kiss of the Dragon. I want to thank all the fans who gave me their honest opinions. Kiss of the Dragon is my response to the suggestions of many of my fans.

The movie utilizes very realistic, hard-core, action-packed fight sequences. I'm very proud of the final result and hope that my fans enjoy the movie, however, this is a movie that I do not feel is appropriate for children.

Over the years, I've received many suggestions from people about which of my movies are their favorite. Some people like Fist of Legend ... some people like My Father is a Hero. It is impossible to please all of the people in the world with any one movie. Kiss of the Dragon is an adult movie and deals with adult themes of a man keeping his promise and understanding his responsibilities. The action scenes are also directed towards an adult audience and as such the movie is rated R. I ask that you please do not take your young children to see Kiss of the Dragon.

If you would like a movie to share with your children please wait a few more months. On November 2 my film The One will be released. This is a PG-13 film and more appropriate for younger children to view.

I want to thank each of you for your support and I am looking forward to reading your opinions about my latest release, Kiss of the Dragon. I'm happy with how this movie turned out and I hope that, after watching it, you will share my enthusiasm.

- Jet

Now in my opinion, this really showed a lot of class on Jet's part. But it also demonstrated true intelligence by cautioning parents rather than children. Jet understands that parents need to take responsibility for raising their kids, including the movies they let their kids watch.

Now all Jet needs to learn how to do is not make any more movies with Andrzej Bartkowiak ("Romeo Must Die," "Cradle 2 The Grave")

3000+ posts
3000+ posts
Lieberman woulda fit better. I couldnt think of the douchefucks name at the time. 'crofty seemd to work well enough.

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
I doubt this will pass.
Its too extreme, even for the northwest.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

Fused said:
Its goddamned shit like this that reminds me why I have the political views that I do. Nothing and I mean nothing riles me more than this kind of ignorant Ashcroftian philosophy. These archaic devolved politicians need an easy out, and easy blame filled with unsubstantial viewpoints. If we were a few decades older these would be the people that burned books just because video games hadnt been invented yet.

I'm from Seattle and the people doing this are a bunch of crazed lefties. It's so funny how you throw a word out like Ashcroftian to describe the buisiness hating left in Seattle WA. You all forget that it's teh left that gave us such free speech stalwarts as Tipper Gore and Joe Lieberman.

Anyhoo, this bill is retarded and it's a state bill not a federal bill so the best it would do is convince teh likes of Microsoft, Bungie and the American headquarters of Nintendo to move across the boarder.

Editited to add: Don't mitake the wording of the above to imply that I would suport this bill on the federal level. even though it's a known fact that there were NO muders evercommited in the United states prior to the introduction of the first video game. One week after Pong was released Denny Flood beat his brother Stuart to death over the head with a large white plank.

Last edited by wannabuyamonkey; 2005-03-08 5:25 PM.

Putting the "fun" back in Fundamentalist Christian Dogma. " I know God exists because WBAM told me so. " - theory9 JLA brand RACK points = 514k
3000+ posts
3000+ posts
Sometimes Christians pass bills that ban video games.

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Sometimes someone makes broad generalizations about others and it weakens their arguement.

3000+ posts
3000+ posts
Reax pay attention.

Link Copied to Clipboard