Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
2500+ posts
OP Offline
2500+ posts
Which is better?

I love Westerns. I'll take a Western with Clint Eastwood or John Wayne anyday over a Sci-Fi flick and I consider Larry McMurtry my favorite author, so I was kinda looking forward to these books. Especially Loveless by Brian Azzarello. Jonah Hex has always been a cool character, but I didn't have much faith in Jimmy Palmiotti and Justin Gray. I've only read a handful of books by them, but I didn't really enjoy any of them. On the other hand, Azzarello used to be one of my favorite comic book writers, especially his run on Hellblazer and the early issues of 100 Bullets. He's done a couple of other Westerns at DC in the past that were pretty good too.

Imagine my suprise when I read the first issues of both books and found that I didn't particularly care for Loveless, but got hooked on Jonah Hex right away. After just two issues it's rocketing up my must read book. If it keeps up the same level, I think I'll be sucked in for good.

Loveless seems to be laying the groundwork for a long, epic story that will tie up in a bow after a decent run, whereas Jonah Hex so far has just concentrated on telling small, done in one issues. I think I prefer the latter in this case. While there is nothing wrong with trying to tell the massive, sprawling epic story with a beginning, middle and end with all kinds of allagory and themes yadda yadda yadda, These days I would rather just sit down and read a nice, complete story in one sitting. If I want epic, I'll go read Lonesome Dove again.

Any thoughts?

Get the fuck out!
2500+ posts
OP Offline
2500+ posts
Oh yeah, BTW: Garth Ennis is the best Western writer in comics. Read Preacher if you don't believe me. Why the hell he is wasting his time on crap like Punisher and Ghost Rider is beyond me...

He also ranks as the best War comics writer out there too.

I wish DC would have him write some western one-shots similar to his War comics he did for Vertigo a few years back. Those still remain some of the best stuff I've read in the past few years...

Get the fuck out!

Link Copied to Clipboard