Next Thread
Print Thread
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
US Pop. to Hit 300 mil tomorrow

The U.S. population will hit 300 million when a baby is born at 7:46 a.m. tomorrow, census officials predict.

No one, of course, knows for certain who that baby will be.

Still, the baby likely to claim the distinction will be a Latino boy in Los Angeles County, said William Frey, a demographer at the Brookings Institution.

Half the growth in the U.S. is among Hispanics, and within that group, most of the increase is in Los Angeles County, Frey said. More boys are born each year than girls, he added.

As it did in 1967, when the U.S. population reached 200 million, the new high has ushered in warnings that producing too many people will have drastic consequences.

Thirty-nine years ago, forecasters predicted mass starvation.

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
meh....I bet half of them are alts.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
Quote:

PJP said:

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
toe sucking pervert
25+ posts
toe sucking pervert
25+ posts
That wasn't my fault.

25+ posts
25+ posts
It was mine! My customers will tell you that.

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Quote:

PJP said:

Seriously, it is too many people. Overcrowding is a problem.

"I offer you a Vulcan prayer, Mr Suder. May your

death bring you the peace you never found in

life." - Tuvok.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Bad news, Jerry. It's Lastday for you.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts

life." - Tuvok.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

Beardguy57 said:
Seriously, it is too many people. Overcrowding is a problem.

Naw, I like people. I don't mind them hanging arround.

Putting the "fun" back in Fundamentalist Christian Dogma. " I know God exists because WBAM told me so. " - theory9 JLA brand RACK points = 514k
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
Among other sources, read Patrick Buchanan's book Death of the West, to see that the problem is not overpopulation.

Buchanan points out that across Europe, the U.S., Canada, Russia, Australia, New Zealand, and Japan, not one Western nation is having a birth rate that even comes close to replacement for the existing population (i.e., that averages out to even 2 children to replace the two parents)

The only European nation with an increasing population is muslim Albania.

Aside from that, among Western nations, only Israel is projected to have an increase in population, projected to increase by 2.4 million by 2025.
While simultaneously, its Arab neighbors will have a population increase of 72 million.

The only reason the U.S. population is increasing is because of immigration, about 75% of which is coming from Latin America. At a rate of about 1 million immigrants per year (the highest annual immigration of any nation in the world)

There is not an overpopulation problem in the U.S.
To the contrary, the U.S. can support a much greater population.
Compare it to China, which is roughly the same geographic size as the U.S. (3.6 million square miles). China has a population of 1.3 billion, four times the population of the U.S.
India and China alone represent 40% of the world's population.

While the U.S. is being overtaken by hispanic immigration, Europe is drawing its replacement population from its closest source, the Islamic world.
In 1970, Europeans worldwide were 25% of the global population.
By 2050, Europeans will be only 10%. And of that 10%, half of Westerners will be over the age of 50, and one tenth will be over the age of 80.

Through invasion from its more populated third world neighbors, or simply through necessary legal immigration of huge numbers of third-worlders to fill the void of young workers, every western nation will see a threat to their culture, and to their very sovereignty.

So... I think it's important that the U.S. and every Western nation think of ways to encourage increasing birthrates, through tax benefits for children and so forth, to turn around the 40-year trend of declining births.
Quite the opposite of "overpopulation".

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I have said this in other threads: It is a VERY common site in my neighborhood to see a pregnant woman, holding a toddler's hand while her oldest child pushes a baby in a baby carriage.

Someone needs to tell these people that the birth rate is declining in the US!

life." - Tuvok.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Associated Press

Many experts think the population actually hit 300 million months ago.

"I don't think anybody believes it will be the precise moment when the population hits 300 million," Howard Hogan, the Census Bureau's associate director for demographic programs, said in an interview before the milestone was reached. But, he added, "We're confident that we're somewhat close."

It's not easy estimating the exact number of people in a country the size of the United States. It gets even more complicated when you take into account illegal immigration, another reason for the federal government to let the milestone pass quietly.

This year, there's a good chance the 300 millionth American has already walked across the border from Mexico.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

Beardguy57 said:
I have said this in other threads: It is a VERY common site in my neighborhood to see a pregnant woman, holding a toddler's hand while her oldest child pushes a baby in a baby carriage.

Someone needs to tell these people that the birth rate is declining in the US!

Are you saying there's something wrong with a family having 3 children? I have nothing but respect to families with many children.

Putting the "fun" back in Fundamentalist Christian Dogma. " I know God exists because WBAM told me so. " - theory9 JLA brand RACK points = 514k
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

Just a few years later, the U.S. population now exceeds 327 million.

Plus God only knows how many illegals. Somewhere between 26 to 40 million.

Link Copied to Clipboard