Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
Pope: Hell Is a Real Place Where Sinners Burn in Everlasting Fire

Hell is a place where sinners really do burn in an everlasting fire, and not just a religious symbol designed to galvanize the faithful, the Pope said.

Addressing a parish gathering in a northern suburb of Rome, Pope Benedict XVI said that in the modern world many people, including some believers, had forgotten that if they failed to "admit blame and promise to sin no more," they risked "eternal damnation — the Inferno."

Hell "really exists and is eternal, even if nobody talks about it much any more," he said.

Agostino Paravicini Bagliani, a Church historian, said that the Pope was "right to remind us that Hell is not something to be put on one side" as an inconvenient or embarrassing aspect of belief.

In October the Pope indicated that limbo, supposed since medieval times to be a "halfway house" between heaven and hell, inhabited by unbaptized infants and holy men and women who lived before Christ, was "only a theological hypothesis" and not a "definitive truth of the faith."

Tabarnak!
6000+ posts
Tabarnak!
6000+ posts
Now....if only he could explain this with scriptural backup. While he's at it, he can justify his walking around being called 'his holiness' and other such shit when Christ specificly condemned such practices...and hundreds of other diversions the church has taken from actual scripture...

If karma's a bitch, it will be my bitch!
Kneel!
10000+ posts
Kneel!
10000+ posts
Quote:

klinton said:
Now....if only he could explain this with scriptural backup. While he's at it, he can justify his walking around being called 'his holiness' and other such shit when Christ specificly condemned such practices...and hundreds of other diversions the church has taken from actual scripture...

to true...to true...

big_pimp_tim-made it cool to roll in the first damn place!
Mon Jun 11 2007 09:27 PM-harley finally rolled with me
"I'm working with him...he's young but, there is much potential. He can apprentice with me and then he's yours for final training. He will remember the face of his father...

Some day, Knutreturns just may be the greatest of us all...."-THE bastard
professional zapper of dragons and rescuer of fair maidens
25+ posts
professional zapper of dragons and rescuer of fair maidens
25+ posts
Well that all depends on which version of THE Bible he's reading. Or is there a version that only he knows about?

Dum dum dum dum dum.

I used to roam the world fighting monsters and sleeping in mud. Now look at me, living in a castle, sleeping in a bed. Aren't I sweet? Yuck!
faggot
15000+ posts
faggot
15000+ posts
Pope is a joke

Old men, fear me! You will shatter under my ruthless apathetic assault!

Uschi - 2
Old Men - 0

"I am convinced that this world is of no importance, and that the only people who care about dates are imbeciles and Spanish teachers." -- Jean Arp, 1921

"If Jesus came back and saw what people are doing in his name, he would never never stop throwing up." - Max von Sydow, "Hannah and Her Sisters"
Kneel!
10000+ posts
Kneel!
10000+ posts
...kind of a scary looking joke i might add.

"I'm working with him...he's young but, there is much potential. He can apprentice with me and then he's yours for final training. He will remember the face of his father...

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Well, it's NOT like the Pope is using the fear of eternal damnation in hell to control people.....

"I offer you a Vulcan prayer, Mr Suder. May your

death bring you the peace you never found in

life." - Tuvok.

notnotnotnotnotnotnotwedge
2500+ posts
notnotnotnotnotnotnotwedge
2500+ posts
leave your lands to the church and you'll go straight to heaven

brother from another mother
15000+ posts
brother from another mother
15000+ posts
Looks like the pope is just trying to scare people into coming back to church. That's kind of sad,people should worship because they want to and not because of some threat of punishment.

"My friends have always been the best of me." -Doctor Who

"Well,whenever I'm confused,I just check my underwear. It holds most answers to life's questions." Abe Simpson

I can tell by the position of the sun in the sky, that is time for us to go. Until next time, I am Lothar of the Hill People!
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Quote:

Lothar of The Hill People said:
Looks like the pope is just trying to scare people into coming back to church. That's kind of sad,people should worship because they want to and not because of some threat of punishment.

life." - Tuvok.

faggot
15000+ posts
faggot
15000+ posts
POPE CAN EAT MY CUNT!

Uschi - 2
Old Men - 0

"I am convinced that this world is of no importance, and that the only people who care about dates are imbeciles and Spanish teachers." -- Jean Arp, 1921

"If Jesus came back and saw what people are doing in his name, he would never never stop throwing up." - Max von Sydow, "Hannah and Her Sisters"
Don't look up here for a joke. There's one hanging over your seat.
1000+ posts
1000+ posts

faggot
15000+ posts
faggot
15000+ posts
I like to say inflamitory things. It inflamitories my love. My love for the Jesus.

Uschi - 2
Old Men - 0

Kneel!
10000+ posts
Kneel!
10000+ posts
Quote:

Uschi said:
POPE CAN EAT MY CUNT!

but would you really enjoy that...

faggot
15000+ posts
faggot
15000+ posts
No, but I'd let him.

Uschi - 2
Old Men - 0

faggot
15000+ posts
faggot
15000+ posts
he probably doesn't have teeth, that would be interesting. for you too, eh?

Uschi - 2
Old Men - 0

Kneel!
10000+ posts
Kneel!
10000+ posts

Unbreakable
3000+ posts
Unbreakable
3000+ posts
Uschi, you make me laugh out load!

Anyway... The Pope is in his right to remind the followers of "his" church that they go to hell if they sin. My problem with the pope is what we define as a "sin" and "sinners".

"Batman is only meaningful as an answer to a world which in its basics is chaotic and in the hands of the wrong people, where no justice can be found. I think it's very suitable to our perception of the world's condition today... Batman embodies the will to resist evil" -Frank Miller

"Conan, what's the meaning of life?"
"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!"
-Conan the Barbarian

"Well, yeah."
-Jason E. Perkins

"If I had a dime for every time Pariah was right about something I'd owe twenty cents."
-Ultimate Jaburg53

"Fair enough. I defer to your expertise."
-Prometheus

Rack MisterJLA!
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Sin is also a very relative term. What one person, or a group or country would call sinful, another group or country might consider to be very natural and normal behavior.

When Spanairds first arrived in the new world, they called the natives who ran around naked "Sinful."

Some say that ALL gays and lesbians automatically go to hell, regardless of how good a person the individual may be.

Falwell and his buddy, Pat Roberson both said that, when the man who saved Gerald Ford from being shot by Squeeky "Lynette " Fromm had ( Back around 1976 ) come out as a gay man, they both declared that no good deeds on Earth can save him from going to hell unless he repented and gave up being gay.

And perhaps a person who has big guilt issues about sex
will decide that those who actively engage in sexual activity are all going to hell.

LIke many things, it all depends on who is talking at the moment... and what they believe.

life." - Tuvok.

Unbreakable
3000+ posts
Unbreakable
3000+ posts
Yeah.

"Batman is only meaningful as an answer to a world which in its basics is chaotic and in the hands of the wrong people, where no justice can be found. I think it's very suitable to our perception of the world's condition today... Batman embodies the will to resist evil" -Frank Miller

"Conan, what's the meaning of life?"
"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!"
-Conan the Barbarian

"Well, yeah."
-Jason E. Perkins

"If I had a dime for every time Pariah was right about something I'd owe twenty cents."
-Ultimate Jaburg53

"Fair enough. I defer to your expertise."
-Prometheus

Rack MisterJLA!
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
sin = willful disobedience against a known law of God. you can't accidentally sin. you can't sin "for a good reason". and you can't sort of sin a little. if any of those statements prove problematic, take it up with several centuries' worth of systematic theology.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
A sin in one culture is not always a sin in every other culture, Phil. When the Spanairds arrived in the new world, they thought it was shameful that the natives ran around naked... it was not shameful to the natives. Sometimes sin is a very relative term....It all depends on whose point of view it is.

life." - Tuvok.

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
no, it doesn't.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
Kneel!
10000+ posts
Kneel!
10000+ posts
the natives didnt have the bible...

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
You know, this is a whole other thread.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

Knutreturns said:

Until it was brought to them and they were given an entire worldview with which to study. At which point, they no longer suffered ignorance.

Christianity has reached all across the world by now. There's no way anyone can miss it. So if hell really exists and you end up going there, don't bother blaming God when His Word was right in front of you the whole time.

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
Pay no attention to Knut. He's just bitter because he's going to Hell for not loving God.

Kneel!
10000+ posts
Kneel!
10000+ posts
Quote:

Pariah said:
Quote:

Knutreturns said:

Until it was brought to them and they were given an entire worldview with which to study. At which point, they no longer suffered ignorance.

Christianity has reached all across the world by now. There's no way anyone can miss it. So if hell really exists and you end up going there, don't bother blaming God when His Word was right in front of you the whole time.

that was actually the point i wanted to make. but i didnt feel like typing all of it...

Kneel!
10000+ posts
Kneel!
10000+ posts
Quote:

Im Not Mister Mxypltk said:
Pay no attention to Knut. He's just bitter because he's going to Hell for not loving God.

actually i dont believe in hell so im not that worried about it...

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
You don't believe in Hell? Dude, you're going to Hell for that!

God hates people who have opinions of their own.

Kneel!
10000+ posts
Kneel!
10000+ posts
damnit!

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
This is why I am can't take Organized Religion seriously.
They are all convinced that whoever does NOT believe in their own particular God of love is going to go to hell.

How can all the religions be right and yet wrong at the same time??

I can't speak for God.. NO human can... but I don't think this is what he had originally intended for humans....for them to kill others or condemn others because they do not worship God as they do.

Trying to control people with the fear of going to hell for eternity is cruel, when you think about it. The Pope and the Catholic church are very guilty of this.

What if :

The afterlife is whatever you believe inside of you that it is? Sorta like a holodeck program which is picked from your own subconscious?

What if there is NO afterlife?

Or : What if there is no Heaven and no hell, and, instead, just one place where we all go, and the bad people are simply judged and sent back to Earth until they learn to stop being assholes? Or maybe the bad ones souls' are just terminated...

No one person or group of persons can be certain just WHAT lies in wait for us after we die.

It is a matter of belief.

And one religion ought to know better than to judge others who do not believe as they do as sinners.

But, what else can you expect from a species that is only about 3.5 years old?

life." - Tuvok.

Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Quote:

Beardguy57 said:
They are all convinced that whoever does NOT believe in their won particular God of love is going to go to hell.

That's not entirely true. Buddhism doesn't even speculate about an afterlife, while Hinduism holds that everyone will eventually achieve their ultimate goal.

Knutreturns said: Spoken like the true Greatest RDCW Champ!

All hail King Snarf!

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Snarf : You are correct. and thank you for posting part of my post. I did not see the typo : "won" ought to have been "own." I fixed it.

Also, Judaism does not believe in an afterlife. That is one of the myriad of reasons why I rejected my own religion, as I believe in an afterlife.

I like what Rufus said in DOGMA...

" If you say you have an idea, that's a good thing, because ideas can be changed. "

life." - Tuvok.

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
This thread jumped the postmodern shark.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts

Calm down, Phil...look at the cute kitties!

life." - Tuvok.

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
I'm not hungry.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts

life." - Tuvok.

1000+ posts
1000+ posts
In the ass!

JPJ to Danbey Donavan

"That never gets old."
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

Beardguy57 said:
They are all convinced that whoever does NOT believe in their own particular God of love is going to go to hell.

.....You're a fucking idiot.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard