I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
OP Offline
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Everyone Shows ID for Beer in Tenn.
By LUCAS L. JOHNSON II, Associated Press Writer
Sat Jun 30, 2:28 PM

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - Comer Wilson hasn't had to show his ID to buy beer in a while. Maybe it's the 66-year-old man's long white beard.

Starting Sunday, gray hair won't be good enough. Wilson and everyone else will be required to show identification before buying beer in Tennessee stores _ no matter how old the buyer appears.

"It's the stupidest law I ever heard of," Wilson said. "You can see I'm over 21."

Tennessee is the first state to make universal carding mandatory, says the National Alcohol Beverage Control Association. However, the law does not apply to beer sales in bars and restaurants, and it does not cover wine and liquor.

Supporters say it keeps grocery store and convenience store clerks from having to guess a customer's age. Democratic Gov. Phil Bredesen said it's a good way to address the problems of underage drinking.

And the 63-year-old governor said he personally won't mind the extra effort to buy beer.

"I'll be very pleased when I'm carded, and in my mind I'll just imagine it's because I look so young," he said.

Rich Foge, executive director of the Tennessee Malt Beverage Association, said he expects there might be some initial resistance from the beer-buying public.

"But once people live with it for a month or two, it's going to go fine," he said. "It gets routine after a while."

Jarron Springer, president of the Tennessee Grocers and Convenience Store Association, said he understands the law "may seem a little odd" to people who are obviously older than 21, but he said it's necessary to make sure no one slips through the cracks.

"If we're going to hold clerks accountable for their actions, then there's no room for discretion," Springer said. "It's either all or nothing."

The blanket requirement makes it easier for stores to comply, said Steve Schmidt, spokesman for the National Alcohol Beverage Control Association

"There's no need to judge whether someone looks 21, 25 or 30," he said. "It's a set, consistent standard across the entire state."

Richard Rollins, who owns a convenience store in Nashville, is already using a computerized scanner to check everyone's driver's licenses when they buy beer. "We just say we're trying to keep our beer permit, and this is the safest way," Rollins said.

But it has stopped Jeff Campbell from shopping at Rollins' market.

"I don't mind them asking for my ID, but they don't need my driver's license number," said Campbell, 43. "I'm just buying a six-pack. All they need to know is how old I am."

Rollins said scanning licenses has proved beneficial in other ways, such as catching criminals.

When one customer tried to make a purchase using a counterfeit bill, Rollins said police were able to track him down because the receipt from the scanner showed his name and license number _ and his address.

The new law, which expires after a year unless the Legislature decides to renew it, also creates a voluntary training program for vendors and their employees. Participating businesses would face lower fines if found guilty of selling beer to a minor, and their beer permits cannot be revoked on a first offense.

However, they face fines of up to $1,000 for each underage sale and they lose their status if they commit two violations in a 12-month period. Another violation could mean suspension or revocation of a license, and fine of up to $2,500.

Noncertified vendors can face those penalties on a first offense.

Marylee Booth, executive director of the Tennessee Oil Marketers Association, which represents gas stations and convenience stores, said the intention is not to hurt vendors, but to help them protect minors.

"We're doing everything we can to keep minors from buying beer," Booth said. "This is just one more tool we want to try."

___

"I offer you a Vulcan prayer, Mr Suder. May your

death bring you the peace you never found in

life." - Tuvok.

professional zapper of dragons and rescuer of fair maidens
25+ posts
professional zapper of dragons and rescuer of fair maidens
25+ posts
This is a waste. Why don't they do something about people that give out free samples of wine at Publix without carding them?

I used to roam the world fighting monsters and sleeping in mud. Now look at me, living in a castle, sleeping in a bed. Aren't I sweet? Yuck!
faggot
15000+ posts
faggot
15000+ posts
I didn't get carded at Chili's last night. I found that odd.

Old men, fear me! You will shatter under my ruthless apathetic assault!

Uschi - 2
Old Men - 0

"I am convinced that this world is of no importance, and that the only people who care about dates are imbeciles and Spanish teachers." -- Jean Arp, 1921

"If Jesus came back and saw what people are doing in his name, he would never never stop throwing up." - Max von Sydow, "Hannah and Her Sisters"
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
OP Offline
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I wonder if they wouldn't let an older person buy alcohol if they'd forgotten their id?

That would be embarrassing as hell if you were an old guy, in your 50's or 60's and got carded.

life." - Tuvok.

Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Why would it be embarrasing if it was the law?

Personally, I think (at least with women) some waiters and bartenders ask to see IDs of women they know are old enough to drink just because they think its a complement to some middle aged yenta.

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
OP Offline
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: the G-man
Why would it be embarrasing if it was the law?

It would be embarrassing if you forgot your id!

I had shaved my beard off ( the very LAST time I'll ever do that! ) back in 1983. It was my 26 th birthday... George sent me to the liqour store to buy a bottle of Great Western Champagne.. my old college id had gotten ruined in the washing machine and I hadn't had time to get a new id of some nature yet...

The clerk looked at me and asked for some id. ( I look VERY young without a beard.)

I said I had none.

He made me put the champagne back.

On my way out the door...

In this very crowded liquor store...

He said..

" What are you? 15? 16?? I'm sick of you high school kids trying to pull a fast one on me!"

Everyone in the entire store laughed.

I went back there after my beard grew back, probably around Christmas.

The same guy sold me a bottle of champagne and said, " Have a nice day, sir."

He did not card me that time.

life." - Tuvok.

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
I want the last fifteen seconds of my life back.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: rex
I want the last fifteen seconds of my life back.

That's what the last woman you had sex with said, too.

brother from another mother
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Tell your mom she was well paid and shouldn't complain.

"My friends have always been the best of me." -Doctor Who

"Well,whenever I'm confused,I just check my underwear. It holds most answers to life's questions." Abe Simpson

I can tell by the position of the sun in the sky, that is time for us to go. Until next time, I am Lothar of the Hill People!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Sory,Gman,Rex might be a jerk,but he's a local jerk and I feel the need to stick up for him from time to time.

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Uschi
I didn't get carded at Chili's last night. I found that odd.

well you are a 74 year old grandmother.

Bow ties are coool.
faggot
15000+ posts
faggot
15000+ posts
True, but the drink was for my hip. I just got that replaced last Thursday.

Old men, fear me! You will shatter under my ruthless apathetic assault!

Uschi - 2
Old Men - 0

"I am convinced that this world is of no importance, and that the only people who care about dates are imbeciles and Spanish teachers." -- Jean Arp, 1921

"If Jesus came back and saw what people are doing in his name, he would never never stop throwing up." - Max von Sydow, "Hannah and Her Sisters"
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
OP Offline
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Damn, then you really needed that drink!

life." - Tuvok.

Link Copied to Clipboard