#940341 2008-04-20 11:16 PM
Jeremy Offline OP
Living the dream
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Living the dream
15000+ posts
From NYCC

• With the third installment of the New York Comic Con drawing to a close Sunday, DC’s final panel of the convention focused on, appropriately enough, Final Crisis. DC Universe Executive Editor Dan DiDio was joined by Final Crisis artist JG Jones, editor Eddie Berganza, assistant editor Adam Schlagman and, arriving about 15 minutes into the panel, Grant Morrison, writer of the mini-series

DiDio began the panel by explaining the basic concept behind Final Crisis - that it’s the third part of both “official” and “unofficial” trilogies in the DC Universe. Officially, it’s the third “Crisis” after Crisis on Infinite Earths and Infinite Crisis, with the former representing the “death of the multiverse,” the latter representing the ‘rebuilding of the multiverse,” and Final Crisis being the “final saga of the multiverse.”

Unofficially, it’s part of a trilogy of recent events that DiDio calls “an exploration of our heroes.” Identity Crisis, the first part, was in DiDio’s words, a “personal threat” to the protagonists of the DC Universe. Follow-up Infinite Crisis was “putting the greatest odds against the heroes,” and Final Crisis is ‘the day that evil won.”

“This is the one time evil wins,” said DiDio. “What does that mean for our heroes?”

DiDio then discussed the Final Crisis tie-in titles, hinting that “a tragic event that occurs in the very first issue” will lead into Final Crisis: Requiem (a truncated title - presumably the full one would spoil that tragic event) by Peter Tomasi and Doug Mahnke.

“It involves one of the cornerstones of the DC Universe, and how his life has changed as a result of Final Crisis #1,” said DiDio

DiDio then ran through the rest of the side books, Final Crisis: Rogues Revenge, Final Crisis: Revelations, Superman Beyond, Submit, Resist and Rage of the Red Lanterns.

After that, a Q&A session began, with Morrison being asked what characters might do something surprising in Final Crisis - Morrison answered by giving a surprising character involved in the series, Fourth World ally Sonny Sumo, specifically praising the way Jones draws him. Morrison continued by saying that iconic characters like Batman will have “big, big roles” in the series.

Morrison said that everything he’s been doing since he started working for DC culminates in Final Crisis, especially JLA, specifically mentioning the “World War III” and “Rock of Ages” stories.

A fan asked about Morrison’s predilection towards obscure characters from DC’s past, and Morrison pointed towards Len Wein’s ‘70s Justice League of America run as a major influence, with mostly forgotten villain Libra playing a role in Final Crisis the latest example. Morrison shared an anecdote of recently talking to Wein, who joked “You owe me about 20% of your earnings.” Morrison said that Libra “seemed to fit the story,” and that the character has a big secret and we’ll see under his mask.

A Kamandi the Last Boy fan was pleased to hear from Morrison that the character is in the very first issue.

“If you don’t kill the Martian Manhunter, could you write an ongoing with him,” a fan asked. “Oops,” Morrison replied, perhaps in jest, or perhaps ominously

When a reader expressed concern over Final Crisis having too many tie-ins, Berganza reminded that it’s not tying into any ongoing comics. Morrison spoke frankly about event comics, saying, “there’s always something essential, you don’t have to buy all these books, because some of them are crap. Buy what you like by the guys you like.

Berganza quickly stepped in to clarify that Morrison wasn’t calling the Final Crisis tie-ins crap.

“Oh, no those guys are great,” said Morrison of Final Crisis tie-in writers like his 52 co-writers) Geoff Johns and Greg Rucka. “I was talking about other crossovers.”

A fan asked Jones how drawing a sequential series differs from his weekly covers on 52. “I was trying to distill the story to one moment,” said Jones. “This is more like being a cinematographer for a film.”

Concern was expressed over having a street-level character like Batman in a cosmic event like Final Crisis - “You can’t throw a Batarang at Darkseid,” the fan said. “Well, you can, but don’t expect to get away with it,” quipped Morrison, before clarifying that the series starts from the ground-up, with the first six pages featuring Anthro the Cave Boy.

A Green Lantern Corps fan was reassured when Morrison said the Corps will appear early in the series, conducting a police-type investigation.

Morrison was asked about the themes behind Final Crisis, and he said that first, he was interesting in doing something with the New Gods characters. But as far as more real world inspirations, he said, “I wanted to talk about how comics have developed since 9/11, kind of the darkness, the ‘soldier super-hero comics.’”

“The western world feels kind of under threat a little bit,” the writer said, adding that he has “pretty high ambitions” for the story, thematically. “Everyone’s feeling a little bit creepy and overwhelmed by events.”

“Are you, Grant Morrison, going to be in Final Crisis,” asked a fan, referencing Morrison’s appearance in his last issue of Animal Man. “Not yet, maybe we can fit me in,” Morrison said. “I’d like to be abused by Desaad.

Does "Batman R.I.P." tie-in to Final Crisis? Morrison said that after "R.I.P." there will be a two-part story that “fits in” to Final Crisis, and is “kind of the last Batman story in a way.”

A fan that dug Morrison’s portrayal of Zatanna in Seven Soldiers asked if she was going to be in Final Crisis. “I really loved doing that character,” said Morrison, “but I believe Paul Dini is possibly doing something. I won’t be doing anything else with her.” He did add that she’d be in the Reign in Hell mini-series and that she might pop up in a small role in Final Crisis.

Black Adam? “Black Adam hasn’t come up yet,” said Morrison. “He might be in it.”

A question about Morrison possibly working with DC’s animation department resulted in the writer revealing that “they were interested in doing an adaptation of All-Star Superman,” which delighted the crowd, but Morrison quickly added that it was “just talk and vague ideas at this point.”

When asked if Final Crisis would have a similar death toll as Infinite Crisis, which felled Superboy, Star Sapphire, and Psycho Pirate, among others, Morrison said “I don’t like killing a character. I much prefer to mess with them; death is too easy for these guys.” Berganza added that the DC Universe will soon “see some light,” and “you’ll know what that means in a couple months you’ll be very happy.”

Morrison talked about how much he enjoyed writing Supergirl in Final Crisis, saying he took a cue from Jessica Abel and Dylan Horrocks’ version of the character in DC’s first Bizarro anthology. “It was the best Supergirl story I ever read,” Morrison said. “Greatest Supergirl ever. I kind of took my cue from that. she’s just really nice. A shining example of young women.”

Morrison reminded the crowd that he’s only going to be writing Batman after Final Crisis, saying “I want to take a couple years off and just rethink the whole superhero thing and come back with new ideas.” He also spoke about the New Gods, saying “they exist on a much higher plane, a symbolic plane. The war has been won by evil, and when the gods fall, they start to manifest through Earth,”

A question for Jones ended the panel, asking the artist if there’s a character he’s itching to work on that he hasn’t yet. “I don’t really think of it that way,” said Jones. “I’m more interested in good stories, it doesn’t matter who the characters are so much as long as it’s germane to the story.”

faggot
15000+ posts
faggot
15000+ posts
Give me a summary. I can't read that much Didio.

Old men, fear me! You will shatter under my ruthless apathetic assault!

Uschi - 2
Old Men - 0

"I am convinced that this world is of no importance, and that the only people who care about dates are imbeciles and Spanish teachers." -- Jean Arp, 1921

"If Jesus came back and saw what people are doing in his name, he would never never stop throwing up." - Max von Sydow, "Hannah and Her Sisters"
Uschi #940353 2008-04-20 11:36 PM
Jeremy Offline OP
Living the dream
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Living the dream
15000+ posts
The multiverse was broken, remade, and will be broken again.

There will be too many tie ins, even after the promise that there wouldn't be.

faggot
15000+ posts
faggot
15000+ posts
Does it affect my characters?

Uschi - 2
Old Men - 0

"I am convinced that this world is of no importance, and that the only people who care about dates are imbeciles and Spanish teachers." -- Jean Arp, 1921

"If Jesus came back and saw what people are doing in his name, he would never never stop throwing up." - Max von Sydow, "Hannah and Her Sisters"
Uschi #940356 2008-04-20 11:37 PM
Jeremy Offline OP
Living the dream
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Living the dream
15000+ posts
If by "characters" you mean "wallet", probably.

faggot
15000+ posts
faggot
15000+ posts
I'm not buying this shit; don't be silly! Does it affect Batman or Joker or their wide array of fun friends?

Uschi - 2
Old Men - 0

Uschi #940369 2008-04-21 12:09 AM
Jeremy Offline OP
Living the dream
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Living the dream
15000+ posts
Events of Batman: R.I.P. are supposed to lead or spill into Final Crisis. Didio himself said Batman won't be dying. But that doesn't mean anything for our pal Bruce Wayne.

faggot
15000+ posts
faggot
15000+ posts
Lame.

Uschi - 2
Old Men - 0

Uschi #940392 2008-04-21 12:54 AM
Jeremy Offline OP
Living the dream
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Living the dream
15000+ posts
No YOU are!

Banned from the DCMBs since 2002.
15000+ posts
Banned from the DCMBs since 2002.
15000+ posts
 Quote:

DiDio began the panel by explaining the basic concept behind Final Crisis - that it’s the third part of both “official” and “unofficial” trilogies in the DC Universe. Officially, it’s the third “Crisis” after Crisis on Infinite Earths and Infinite Crisis, with the former representing the “death of the multiverse,” the latter representing the ‘rebuilding of the multiverse,” and Final Crisis being the “final saga of the multiverse.”

I think he is just a random shit generator.

Pimping my site, again.

http://www.worldcomicbookreview.com

25+ posts
25+ posts
to many words to reed. is lobo in it?

the president and flounder of aids has come here!
Jeremy Offline OP
Living the dream
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Living the dream
15000+ posts
Now we've got Meltzer coming back to DC to write a "Last Will and Testament" one-shot fitting in between Final Crisis 3 and 4. It's supposed to tell a story of the night before the final battle when all hell supposedly breaks loose.

I'm getting tired of Final Crisis already and issue 1 hasn't even hit yet.

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who's gonna get raped?

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
rex #943764 2008-05-11 3:53 PM
"Hey this is PCG342's bro..."
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
This is gonna be the greatest big epic crossover evant EVAR!!!11!

"Are you eating it...or is it eating you?"

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com] [/center]

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com][/center]
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
ThE dC UNIverse wiLL neVAR bee teh SAme!

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
The heroes of the DC Universe will unite to face the greatest evil ever seen!

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Batman will never be the same again!

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
And what part does Superman play in all of this?

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
In this issue: AN ACTUAL DC HERO DIES!

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Imperiex assaults the JLA Watchtower, causing Aquaman to don new armour! Check out Final Crisis to see an all-new look for Aquaman!

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
How will this war change the friendship between Batman and Superman?

Check out Final World War Infinite 52 Week Crisis to find out!

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
What happened in the 32 seconds before Lex Luthor shot Green Lantern in the face with a tranquilizer dart?

You can only find out by adding "Secret Files: The lost 32 seconds" to your collection!

Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: MisterJLA

Isn't the rule of all Crises that a Flash must die and Superman must cry?

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
*SPOILERS!*

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: the G-man

"Supes Cries while Flash Dies."

Bow ties are coool.
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
is he wanking while crying?

brother from another mother
15000+ posts
brother from another mother
15000+ posts
until next year when a new greatest evil ever shows up.

cookie monster
7500+ posts
cookie monster
7500+ posts

you just had to give it away, didn't you?!

Dear, sweet Harley Kwink...I'm madly in love with you. Marry me! We can go to Canadia. Or Boston or something. It'll be grand...You know the cookies are a given. They are ALWAYS a given. You could dump me tomorrow and you'd still get the cookies. Boston..shit, wherever dyke weddings were legalized. And where better to rub their little piggie noses in how bad they suck than right on their doorstep? What are they gonna do? Be jealous of you? Stare furiously at your tah-tahs? Not willingly give you cookies, but instead begrudgingly give you their cookies? Woman, time to wake up to the powers you wield - Uschi

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Uh, spoilers?

Jeremy Offline OP
Living the dream
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Living the dream
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Lothar of The Hill People
until next year when a new greatest evil ever shows up.

Uh, spoilers?

There's no such thing as spoilers here anymore.

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Jeremy

Uh, spoilers?

There's no such thing as spoilers here anymore.

the Offline
Ignored by 3 users and 2 moderators
4000+ posts
Ignored by 3 users and 2 moderators
4000+ posts
K-nutreturns happy User now
7500+ posts Mon May 12 2008 10:35 PM Viewing the portal page

Link Copied to Clipboard