Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
OP Offline
50000+ posts

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,517137,00.html
 Quote:
Miss North Carolina Kristen Dalton was crowned Miss USA on Sunday, but the big story to come out of the normally politics-free telecast was Miss California's comments regarding gay marriage.

When asked by judge Perez Hilton, an openly gay gossip blogger, whether she believed in gay marriage, Miss California, Carrie Prejean, said "We live in a land where you can choose same-sex marriage or opposite. And you know what, I think in my country, in my family, I think that I believe that a marriage should be between a man and a woman. No offense to anybody out there, but that's how I was raised."

Keith Lewis, who runs the Miss California competition, tells FOXNews.com that he was "saddened" by Prejean's statement.

"As co-director of the Miss California USA, I am personally saddened and hurt that Miss California believes marriage rights belong only to a man and a woman," said Lewis in a statement. "I believe all religions should be able to ordain what unions they see fit. I do not believe our government should be able to discriminate against anyone and religious beliefs have no politics in the Miss California family."

PHOTOS: Pics from last night's controversial show.

Co-director Shanna Moakler said that she fully supported Lewis' statement.

But Prejean told FOXNews.com that she has no regrets and is happy with the answer she gave.

PHOTOS: 10 beauty pageant scandals from years past.

Miss California's answer sparked a shouting match in the lobby after the show. "It's ugly," said Scott Ihrig, a gay man, who attended the pageant with his partner. "I think it's ridiculous that she got first runner-up. That is not the value of 95 percent of the people in this audience. Look around this audience and tell me how many gay men there are."

Charmaine Koonce, the mother of Miss New Mexico USA Bianca Matamoros-Koonce, argued back.

YOU DECIDE: Did Miss California's answer cost her the crown?

"In the Bible it says marriage is between Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve!"

The pageant had enjoyed a scandal-free year until earlier this month, when Miss Universe 2008 Dayana Mendoza was skewered for a blog posting from a trip to Guantanamo Bay. The entry described having "aloooot of fun" at a base that houses the notorious military prison; it was later deleted from the pageant's Web site.

POP TARTS: More on Miss California's "gay marriage answer" controversy.

The winner, Miss North Carolina Kristen Dalton, a 22-year-old aspiring motivational speaker and entertainer from Wilmington, edged out first runner-up Miss California, and second runner-up Miss Arizona USA Alicia-Monique Blanco, of Phoenix.

"It feels really natural," Dalton said of her win. "I've worked so be here and this has been my lifelong dream and it's finally here. And whoever knew you could win in a turquoise gown?"

VIDEO: Did Miss California make a big mistake?

Contestants from all 50 states and the District of Columbia competed in the pageant, aired live on NBC. Contestants were judged by their performance in swimsuit and evening gown modeling contests and their responses to a question asked onstage; unlike the rival Miss America pageant, Miss USA contestants do not perform a talent.

The top 15 contestants worked the stage in white string bikinis designed by pop star Jessica Simpson's swimwear line. Rocker Kevin Rudolf performed his song "Let it Rock," followed by The Veronicas, who performed their single "Untouched" as the top 10 beauties showed off their choice of glittering evening gowns.

Dalton's was a flowing, blue Grecian number that stood out among a series of white gowns.

Her title comes with a year's use of a New York apartment, a public relations team, a two-year scholarship at the New York Film Academy and an undisclosed salary.

She also will go to the Bahamas in August to compete in the Miss Universe pageant, where American beauties haven't been lucky in recent years. Both Miss USA 2008 Crystle Stewart and her predecessor, Rachel Smith, wiped out on stage during the evening gown competition, becoming accidental YouTube stars.

50000+ posts
OP Offline
50000+ posts

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
i generally disagree with the stance, but i admire her non-PC and (seemingly?) honest response! and her cans!

giant picture
50000+ posts
OP Offline
50000+ posts

50000+ posts
OP Offline
50000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Rob Kamphausen
i generally disagree with the stance, but i admire her non-PC and (seemingly?) honest response! and her cans!

the president of the pageant slammed her for bringing politics into the pageant, she was the one asked the question!

while i think gay marriage should be banned i understand you and mr. hilton's dismay.

Kneel!
10000+ posts
Kneel!
10000+ posts
props to her for answering honestly and not just saying what people would have wanted her to say...

(and yes she does have nice cans)

big_pimp_tim-made it cool to roll in the first damn place!
Mon Jun 11 2007 09:27 PM-harley finally rolled with me
"I'm working with him...he's young but, there is much potential. He can apprentice with me and then he's yours for final training. He will remember the face of his father...

Some day, Knutreturns just may be the greatest of us all...."-THE bastard
Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
were her comments really that controversial? i mean, the article (which i didn't fully read) makes the show (which i didn't at all watch) sound like there were riots and such afterward. is what she said considered hateful? isn't it more so just a difference of opinion?

giant picture
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Rob Kamphausen
were her comments really that controversial? i mean, the article (which i didn't fully read) makes the show (which i didn't at all watch) sound like there were riots and such afterward. is what she said considered hateful? isn't it more so just a difference of opinion?

It's just more of the whole "PC" mindset where, if you don't toe the politically correct line, you have no "right" of "free speech."

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
and is it moreso an attack on her, or an attack on the show for ranking her so high after that type of a response?

giant picture
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I'd guess a little of both.

500+ posts
500+ posts
Both.

Of her cans.

brother from another mother
15000+ posts
brother from another mother
15000+ posts
Gays should get over the idea that not everyone approves of gay marriage.

She does have a nice set of everything,but I think the runner up is nicer looking.

"My friends have always been the best of me." -Doctor Who

"Well,whenever I'm confused,I just check my underwear. It holds most answers to life's questions." Abe Simpson

I can tell by the position of the sun in the sky, that is time for us to go. Until next time, I am Lothar of the Hill People!
50000+ posts
OP Offline
50000+ posts
she is the runner up.

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
I'd like to runner up.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
IN THE ASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

professional zapper of dragons and rescuer of fair maidens
25+ posts
professional zapper of dragons and rescuer of fair maidens
25+ posts
Most full grown adults KNOW how they were raised by that age. But then, they also don't drop out of school at age 9.

"I think I believe I suppose I guess, in my house, in my family, in my country, in my room."

When you're that many eggs short of a dozen, you'd better look good half naked.

I used to roam the world fighting monsters and sleeping in mud. Now look at me, living in a castle, sleeping in a bed. Aren't I sweet? Yuck!
50000+ posts
OP Offline
50000+ posts
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,517228,00.html

Quote:
FOXNews.com: How are you feeling today?

Carrie Prejean: Honestly, happy. This happened for a reason. By having to answer that question in front of a national audience, God was testing my character and faith. I'm glad I stayed true to myself.

FOXNews.com: Have a lot of people been trying to get in touch with you?

Carrie Prejean: Yes, lots of phone calls. I've gotten over 500 facebook friend requests, hundreds of messages from people I don’t know, saying how proud of me they are that I stood my ground. That made me the real winner of the night.

FOXNews.com: Did your stomach sink when you first heard you picked Perez Hilton's question?

Carrie Prejean: I had a gut feeling. I knew he was controversial, and so was the question. Out of all the topics I studied up on, I dreaded that one, I prayed I would not be asked about gay marriage. If I had any other question, I know I would have won.

FOXNews.com: Did you think right away your answer may have killed your chances of winning?

Carrie Prejean: Yeah, I thought I was going to be 4th runner up for sure. I was surprised I made it to first runner up!

FOXNews.com: Before "the question," did you think you would win Miss USA?

Carrie Prejean: There was a lot of talk about me, people saying I was the frontrunner. During the whole two-week experience leading up to the pageant, I was very confident and relaxed. Not too nervous.

FOXNews.com: Were you sad you didn't win? Did you go to the party afterwards, or go home and cry?

Carrie Prejean: No, I got together with my family. I ate my first hamburger in a long time!

FOXNews.com: Has the Miss Universe organization contacted you at all? What about your Miss California USA directors?

Carrie Prejean: I haven't been told anything. I didn't even see the Miss California directors after the pageant.

FOXNews.com: Are you upset that Perez Hilton called you a "b**ch" in his blog rant?

Carrie Prejean: Yes, but I have no regrets about answering honestly. He asked me for my opinion and I gave it to him. I have nothing against gay people, and I didn't mean to offend anyone in my answer.

FOXNews.com: So what about Perez's offer to take you out for coffee to "talk"?

Carrie Prejean: No comment!

Sikkbones
1500+ posts
Sikkbones
1500+ posts
did she marry her daddy yet?

http://www.finalstage.ca
http:www.459.betrayer.ca
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
You afraid that he's been taken off the market?

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
Sikkbones
1500+ posts
Sikkbones
1500+ posts
 Originally Posted By: thedoctor

Considering you asswipes think i'm engaged to tHomas tantillo that would be kinda hard to marry some redneck skank.

http://www.finalstage.ca
http:www.459.betrayer.ca
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
We thought you were that New Age Mormon kinda gay.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Black Machismo
 Originally Posted By: thedoctor

Considering you asswipes think i'm engaged to tHomas tantillo that would be kinda hard to marry some redneck skank.

As worded, BM just admitted to being engaged to Halo.

50000+ posts
OP Offline
50000+ posts
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,520081,00.html

Quote:
Just one day after learning that Carrie Prejean will keep her Miss California crown, state pageant director Shanna Moakler resigned.

According to a report in Us magazine, the co-pageant director and former Miss USA said it was “in her best interest to resign.”

"I cannot with a clear conscious move forward supporting and promoting the Miss Universe Organization when I no longer believe in it, or the contracts I signed committing myself as a youth," she said. "I want to be a role model for young [women] with high hopes of pageantry, but now feel it more important to be a role model for my children. I am sorry and hope I have not let any young supporters down but wish them the best of luck in fulfilling their dreams."

Prejean was named first runner-up at the April 19 pageant, during which she cause a firestorm by responding to a judge's question by saying she favored limiting marriage to a man and a woman.

PHOTOS: Click here for photos of Carrie Prejean.

Shortly afterward, Moakler and her co-director Keith Lewis criticized the beauty queen for appearing in advertisements for groups opposed to same-sex marriage and for failing to reveal that she had posed in racy photos.

Lewis slammed Prejean Monday, saying her actions caused the Miss California title to be “hijacked,” preventing them from doing the necessary “work at hand.”

Moakler and Lewis appointed Prejean’s runner up in the state pageant to be a “Beauty of California Ambassador” to fulfill any duties that Prejean could not.

RELATED: Click here for all of FOX's coverage of Carrie Prejean.

But at a press conference Tuesday, Donald Trump, the owner of the Miss Universe pageant and the man who ultimately allowed Prejean to keep her crown, said that after hours of meeting in his office, Prejean, Moakler and Lewis were getting along “very well.”

Moakler has appeared in her own ad supporting gay rights, shooting a print ad on April 28 that slammed Proposition 8, the initiative that banned gay marriage in California.

50000+ posts
OP Offline
50000+ posts
\:lol\:

i love to watch liberals crack under the pressure of opposing opinions!

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Throwing tantrums is the liberal way!

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: rex
Gays unite!

Fair play!
50000+ posts
OP Offline
50000+ posts
snarf MEM is calling for you!

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
My favorite part of all of this is that she has the same beliefs as obama. I don't see everyone demonizing him for his beliefs.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: rex
My favorite part of all of this is that she has the same beliefs as obama. I don't see everyone demonizing him for his beliefs.

Good point actually Rex.

Fair play!
50000+ posts
OP Offline
50000+ posts
It is really strange. She said basically the same thing as Obama, that she was opposed to gay marriage but understood why others support it. MSNBC, Stewart and the rest of the liberal establishment bashes her 24/7 for it.

50000+ posts
OP Offline
50000+ posts
MSN 30 minutes 26 seconds ago Reading a post
Forum: Politics and Current Events
Thread: Miss California Sparks Furor With Gay Marriage Comments on Miss USA Telecast

see!

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: BASAMS The Plumber
It is really strange. She said basically the same thing as Obama, that she was opposed to gay marriage but understood why others support it. MSNBC, Stewart and the rest of the liberal establishment bashes her 24/7 for it.

It's not really that strange. Partisans (and that definitely includes conservatives) give leaders a pass on stuff all the time.

Fair play!
50000+ posts
OP Offline
50000+ posts
Not on the hot button issues. Conservatives usually don't give GOP members passes on abortion, gay marriage. Same with liberals. Now on lying, cheating, stealing I agree that pundits always rationalize.

50000+ posts
OP Offline
50000+ posts
Also its rare to attack someone for identical views of their leader. She almost repeated Obama's views verbatim.

Link Copied to Clipboard