Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Rob Offline OP
cobra kai
15000+ posts
OP Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
which characters do you wish had/will stayed dead, retired, missing?

which characters do you wish would return (or were glad they did)?

300+ posts
300+ posts
I say if you kill a character in a comic, let them stay dead. The whole kill a guy, oh wait, he's alive! schtick is boring because it's been done to, pardon the expression, death.

It worked for Superman, but that's it. I wish everyone who died in a comic would stay dead. If I want to see the resurection bit, I'll watch General Hospital.

5000+ posts
5000+ posts
quote:
Originally posted by Tobias Christopher:
I wish everyone who died in a comic would stay dead.

What about Immortal Man, or Resurrection Man?

Superman worked because there were four fresh and very intriguing characters to go along with it, as well as the story really gaining momentum about halfway through. But for most other resurrections, everything is as flat as(insert some tasteless joke here).

[ 10-31-2001: Message edited by: Kristogar Velo ]

Rob Offline OP
cobra kai
15000+ posts
OP Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
im ok with killing a character - bringing him back, as long as the story is handled well. AND as long as the "death" lasts for quite some time (a year +).

wonder woman (all of them) dies weekly. aquaman is dead now, because of an "off camera" event. no one buys that! spider-man / clone... oy. hal jordan is dead. no alive! no dead. no alive!! ... no, wait. dead. ... NO! ALIVE! ...but sorta dead, cuz he's a ghost.

its just silly.

superman's death was huge -- because he's THE character. it wasnt bloodwynd, or booster gold dying (someone only a comic fan would know about). it was THE comic icon.

and then, there was a whole huge storyline to follow it.

green arrow died, and stayed dead for years (6 or 7, i think). now he's back with this HUGE and intriguing storyline. thats fine.

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
I'll admit, I was incredibly disheartened when I found out that Hal was getting "resurrected". In fact, I was downright pissed. Unless something friggin' cool happens as a result of the hero resurrecting, i.e. Supes and GA, then there's no point in bringing them back. (Besides, I was always a Kyle fan anyway. Too young to be a Hal fan.) I'll also admit to being very happy when I learned that Guy Gardner had died in OWAW, as I never liked his character at all, especially after the Warrior scandal, where he discovered he was a friggin' alien. That just sucked. It's come to be that death doesn't mean anything in comics anymore. If it doesn't mean anything to the comics reader, then there's no pointto even killing anyone off, as it doesn't even add any sort of climactic high point or anything.

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Im sorry Superman's return from the dead was lame...
IF they would have stuck to the original or rumored plan...to have kept Supes dead for at least a year and see how the rest of the DCU coped.
And while I loved the Knightquest thing but for me if Bruce had a broken back the only way it should have been Ra's' pit, an already established out. Or have a temporary disabling defect, like broken legs or something, and have Jean Paul and Dick take over while he recovered, a broken back is too much of a suspension of disbelief with a miracle cure.

2500+ posts
2500+ posts
So finally you have come to the dark side and see my whole point about the Bat-Man! About damn time!!!

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
But does the Spider-Clone storyline make Spider-Man a lame character overall?

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
I agree Superman should have been brought back but the explanation behind his ressurrection was lame.

Green Arrow was kinda the opposite. The story behind it is great, but I don't really think he should have been brought back.

And with Hal its both. He shouldn't have been brought back and the story behind it sucked. He became power mad as Parralax and nearly destroyed the universe, so what do we do?.....make him the spectre, perhaps the most powerful character in the DC universe!

I liked Hal alot and I didnt want to see him crapped upon. I just hope Barry will remain dead.

2500+ posts
2500+ posts
quote:
Originally posted by THE Franta:
But does the Spider-Clone storyline make Spider-Man a lame character overall?

Doesn't count since the John Byrne Retcon...Nyah Nyah Nyah Nyah!

Rob Offline OP
cobra kai
15000+ posts
OP Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
quote:
Originally posted by rufusTfirefly:
Doesn't count since the John Byrne Retcon...Nyah Nyah Nyah Nyah!

which was just as bad!!

superman's death and rise (etc) might not have been the greatest of tales -- but at least it was played up to be a huge event. it wasnt like he died, then came back in the next issue, or anything. i didnt overly enjoy the story of his death or his rise (in fact, im still not even sure what happened in his rise), but at least it made the death seem "worth it" (that, and the huge push in sales for comics in general).

batman breaking and returning... ok, so, the broken back thing mighta been a bit much to return from so quickly, like he did. but, again, at least the event was made worthwhile. a year-long build up to the breaking, then a year-long (plus) follow up afterwards.

i dunno about the laz-pit. i DO think that would have been pretty cool (explain the info, cool plot element, made bruce "indebted" to ra's, and hating it, for an extra plot twist) but, traditional bat fans might have griped that this gave batman "super powers" of some sort, when the character should have none.

(as it is, wasn't it "somewhat" mentioned that shandra, bruce's doc, had [some] healing powers?)

Rob Offline OP
cobra kai
15000+ posts
OP Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
and, yeah, i think jordan's whole deal sucked. if DC wanted him to go crazy - let'em stay crazy! dont repent so quickly, making him a hero, then god's avenger. kinda crazy. its like they tried to overcompensate for prior mistakes.

... tho parallax did have a kickass costume.

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Superman's Death WASN'T A BIG THING?

Excuse me Rob I guess you dont have the bagged copy with black armband with "S" insignia. Or the TShirt, numerous buttons action figures etc etc that came as a result of his death and resurecction!

See now Bat's would not have to be indebted to Ra's if he would have just found the spot on his own withough Ra's!

And as far as Hal goes he should never have been killed off and should have been left to be a crazed superbeing ala Parallax!

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
I'm still waiting for Proty to return from the dead!

How about Jean grey? I cried, I skulked around, I knocked over liquor stores because this beautiful heroine was reduced to ash from a solar flare...NOT!

When the real Jean Grey reappeared in the first issue of X-Factor (I think) it was soooo lame I, (once again) cried, skulked around, knocked over liquor stores! I still have all those beautiful Phoenix stories though which strangely enough ended in Phoenix's death also! Of course, I cried...

-----once over and why not bring back Barry(Flash) Allen? One of the best heroes of the Silver Age!--------

Rob Offline OP
cobra kai
15000+ posts
OP Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
quote:
Originally posted by THE Franta:
Superman's Death WASN'T A BIG THING?

Excuse me Rob I guess you dont have the bagged copy with black armband with "S" insignia. Or the TShirt, numerous buttons action figures etc etc that came as a result of his death and resurecction!

i didnt say that, you... ... franta!

i said just the opposite -- it was HUGE! i said it wasnt the best of stories, but... still, perhaps THE comic event of the past decade.

where are you reading that i said it wasnt?

quote:
See now Bat's would not have to be indebted to Ra's if he would have just found the spot on his own withough Ra's!

true. but, i think it'd make for a better storyline (had that happened), were batman "forced" to accept this boon from his fiercest of enemies.

quote:
And as far as Hal goes he should never have been killed off and should have been left to be a crazed superbeing ala Parallax!

woulda made a cool jla villain!

500+ posts
500+ posts
If Busiek brings back Manhunter in Power Company, I'm going to be sooooooo mad.

Jean Grey's resurrection was one of the most stupid things I have ever read.

Hal Jordan's character deserved to be treated better than it has - at least Barry Allen has gotten some respect.

4000+ posts
4000+ posts
I still don't get exactly how Superman came back... I read the trade, and the explanation for his resurrection was basically... "Oh, no, he's dead!... no, wait, there he is."

500+ posts
500+ posts
Didn't the Eradicator in its mission to preserve Kryptonian culture save him while there was still a glimmer of life in his cells?

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Kamphausen:
i didnt say that, you... ... franta!

i said just the opposite -- it was HUGE! i said it wasnt the best of stories, but... still, perhaps THE comic event of the past decade.

where are you reading that i said it wasnt?

!

I dunno I guess I didnt pay much attention to you

quote:
Originally posted by Dark Typhoid Dave:
Didn't the Eradicator in its mission to preserve Kryptonian culture save him while there was still a glimmer of life in his cells?

Didnt it also save Johnathon Kent too?

4000+ posts
4000+ posts
quote:
Originally posted by Dark Typhoid Dave:
Okay. Makes sense. Thanks.

1 post
1 post
Mysterio!!! Why couldn't he have stayed dead? Kevin Smith gave him one of the greatest deaths in recent comics, and then he shows up a few months later for some shitty mini-series or something. "I stole this one, too.....from Kraven" or something along those lines. Classic! Finally, bubblehead shone in a way he never could have while living!

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Actually Mysterio is one of the few characters you should expect to stay dead....

25+ posts
25+ posts
quote:
Originally posted by SIMPS!:
Mysterio!!! Why couldn't he have stayed dead? Kevin Smith gave him one of the greatest deaths in recent comics, and then he shows up a few months later for some shitty mini-series or something!

From what I heard, Smith asked the Spidey Office if he could use Mysterio and they said 'sure, as long as you don't do anything perminant to him like kill him or something because we've got a storyline with him in coming up'.

And then he killed him and the Spidey people were not amused.

This may be true or it may be false, but its what I heard.

Xy

Living the dream
15000+ posts
Living the dream
15000+ posts
Aunt May should have stayed dead.
Norman Osborn should have stayed dead or not been killed in the first place.
Not sure about Colossus.

The Death and Return of Superman was a great story.

1. You do not talk about snarf.
7500+ posts
1. You do not talk about snarf.
7500+ posts
MisterJLA, please delete this!

Me No Rikey Rob, he's a banana queer!

I shit on Hogan!
Your death will make me king!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Leave 'em dead. All of 'em.

Banned from the DCMBs since 2002.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Yes. Returns from the dead are so cliched that a writer is better off putting a character in hospital with sever injuries than killing a character, in terms of impact. Marvel's famous ban on returns from death is good, but an indicator of just how bad the situation has become, that an editorial mandate has to be made public to give a publisher some credibility.

Pimping my site, again.

http://www.worldcomicbookreview.com

Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
I think Norman Osborne should have stayed dead. And Magneto and Jean Grey should not have been brought back so soon after Morrison killed them, especially Mags. I mean, he was back 3 months after he was beheaded! Fucking insult, man...

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
Quote:

Dave said:Marvel's famous ban on returns from death is good

Phoenix is back for her "Endsong" mini, she'll die at the end of it, and she'll come back as soon as the new movie comes out.

Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
Colossus is back, and so is Psylocke.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

Xyzandra said:
Xy

What's a Xy?

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
The two letters that come before z in the alphabet.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

Stupid Dogg said:
Colossus is back, and so is Psylocke.

Really? Shit. So much for meaningful deaths. Ridiculous.

I'd heard Claremont also brought Magik back. Easy to do given her background, but it made one of the more poignant issues of X-men look like a joke.

Pimping my site, again.

http://www.worldcomicbookreview.com

Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Magneto coming back... Feh! Claremont's a hack! I also agree about Aunt May.

As for characters that I hope would come back, #1 on the list is Hawkeye, followed by Kole from Teen Titans.

Knutreturns said: Spoken like the true Greatest RDCW Champ!

All hail King Snarf!

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
I always like seeing them come back. We get enough of dead is dead in real life. Besides it always seems like it's my favorites that end up taking the dirt nap!

Fair play!
Kaz Offline
500+ posts
500+ posts
Quote:

Dark Typhoid Dave

I thought they just left him out in the sun for awhile...

Living the dream
15000+ posts
Living the dream
15000+ posts

It was a bit of both actually, and then some. Everyone trying to save him helped (Emil, Bibbo, Guardian, etc.). Then the Eradicator took Kal's body to the fortress and put it in the solar matrix thingy (originally to tap into the body's power if I remember correctly). The body was clinicly dead, but Kal's cells were still absorbing solar energy (in and out of the matrix) like crazy. Then Pa Kent nearly 'died'. While nearly dead, Pa met up with Superman as he was being brought to the afterlife. He was being brought there (to hell actually) by demons that Pa saw but Superman didn't. The two of them fought off the demons and went back to their respective bodies.

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
Though that whole Pa and Superman fighting demons in the afterlife thing can be simply considered Pa's dream... It was kind of a clever way to build expectations for Reign of the Supermen, since, along with the fact that Superman's corpse was no longer in the grave, it made people think that Superman was back and that he was one of the four new Supermen (well, the competition was between the Cyborg and the Eradicator, actually).

Living the dream
15000+ posts
Living the dream
15000+ posts
I actually thought it'd be the Cyborg. How wrong I was...

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

rex said:
The two letters that come before z in the alphabet.

BOOYA!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard