Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Rob Offline OP
cobra kai
15000+ posts
OP Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts

1) superman, 2) batman. well covered, well handled.

3) ... wonder woman.

more or less forgotten and ignored.

in fact, it was rumored that, during the 80s / 90s, her book was being published strictly on the basis of maintaining copyrights.

but now, all of a sudden, there a major resurgeance. starting with perez's run on the monthly book (which i havent read, admittedly, but, have heard nothing but good about!). the dini/ross "spirit of truth" will bring major attention to the character, as it re-explains her.

and, what i think will be most important, the new JL cartoon (which im dying to refer to as 'jla') will bring her MASS exposure (which im sure will follow with toys, lunchboxes, shirts, etc).

mebbe this'll finally re-affirm the cliched "big three" tag?

Frustrated! . . . with kids!
2500+ posts
2500+ posts
Perez started out the book on this run.

Phil Jimenez is the current Wonder God on the book.

As for those rumors...they were probably true. If she's not in a book on a regular basis (monthly, bi-monthly, etc.) DC will lose rights to the Wonder Woman character. It's got something to do with the creator and his family's wishes...

And for once, I agree with you. I'm hoping that the JL toon will help to bring her back into the spotlight. I personally, don't see anyone else who should be the third in the DC triumverant.

Rob Offline OP
cobra kai
15000+ posts
OP Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
quote:
Originally posted by Bianca:
Perez started out the book on this run.

Phil Jimenez is the current Wonder God on the book.

yeah, yeah... thats what i meant to add. further proof i dont bother readin'em. still, tho, i hear nothin but goos about it.

the biggest impression, tho, will definitley be the cartoon. previous cartoons propelled batgirl (or at least the idea of a batgirl) immensely. same for harley. made mr. freeze a big time villain. and how many shirts / pencils / placemats did you see of batman beyond, before the WB store closed?

id gather wondie'll become immensely popular by next christmas season.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
But did this really justify those Gob awful Wonder Woman stories from my youth? I'm still afraid of women! Sheesh!

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
I dont think Wonder Woman really gets a fair shake, never gets a really hot creative team on her book!
I mean other than the fact she's a girl Supes and Bats have several titles each.
And the fact that its a female lead character does not seem to bother folks anymore I mean look at Birds of Prey. And there are numerous titles out there selling hot such as WItchBlade, DangerGirl, Gen13 and more with female leads.
Whats up with WW?!?!?!

500+ posts
500+ posts
a short test of my password before I answer...

500+ posts
500+ posts
OK.

Witchblade, Fathom, Tomb Raider all rely upon the cheesecake factor. As does Danger Girl.

WW has this mission statment of bringing peace to Man's World. Its still a big thing for the fans.

As much as we'd like to see her in a thong, long term fans do not.

I like the character, esp. after Perez's work on her to make her mythologically based as opposed to schlocky-invisible-plan-and-standard-powers based (per Byrne).

Rob Offline OP
cobra kai
15000+ posts
OP Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
one thing that really annoyed me about wonderwoman was the semi-recent retcon that made the wonder woman we all know and love ... NOT the wonder woman we all know and love. her mom steps in, goes back in time, has a kid, comes back thru time, joins the jsa, back in time again, ... yadda yadda... too frickin confusing, and unnecessarily so.

now, all of a sudden, diana has only been diana for a year or two, rather than acutally BEING in the big three, around with supes and bats for over a decade.

i agree that she's never really had a huge powerhouse on her creative staff (tho some would argue in favor of perez / jimenez). there were rumors when dc and wildstorm merged that she'd get jim lee on pencils, which would have been great -- but that lead to 2 or 3 covers in the past 4 years (hardly an "on schedule" pace).

throwing jscott campbell on the book (my personal favorite artist) would provide a nice "t&a" boost from time to time. i mean, c'mon, wondie's hot! no harm in occasionally showcasing that, simply dont ever make it a focal point.

i do think that the cartoon might change the "real" comic a lot -- with a simpler design, simpler back story, and simpler plot lines, hopefully, the book will follow suit, making it more friendly for newer fans to jump on the bandwagon of that cool super chick they saw on tv.

2500+ posts
2500+ posts
Today's Wizard is reporting that Wonder Woman will be losing her virginity next year...

I have nothing more to say...

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Yep they sure do want to stay away from the T&A aspects...

25+ posts
25+ posts
The 'Wonder Woman not being around for all that long' came in years ago. Her first appearance in current contischmuity was Legends - meaning even Blue Beetle has been around longer than her.

One of the most stupid things about this was that Wonder Girl was active in the Hero community, as part of the Teen Titans, before there was a Wonder Woman.

However stupid time travel stories are, at least it meant that most of the older stories aren't stuck in the 'This never happened' box.

Its still stupid though.

Xy

Rob Offline OP
cobra kai
15000+ posts
OP Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
but what was the point?

couldnt she just be "eternally young" or something? she IS a goddess.

25+ posts
25+ posts
Since when have comics needed a point?

Xy

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
i say they make her the oldest hero REALLY appearing herself in WW II predating Supes....then continue her true beginings have HER start up the JLA!

never happen though I know

Rob Offline OP
cobra kai
15000+ posts
OP Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
id certainly prefer that to whats goin on now. with her mom bein the original, then joingin the jsa, then appearing for her the 30+ times diana has died in the past few years....

i dont even know who the fuck wondie is anymore.

...it could very well be you, xy!

2500+ posts
2500+ posts
You know....I'm pretty sure Zeus took that (beig a goddess) from her when she couldn't keep interfering/helping her friends & family...and sent her back to Earth.

I'll go look it up when I get home and let you know for sure...

Okay....I looked it up, and I was wrong. From WW #136, pg. 21 & 22

Mike: "Speaking of powerful forces... Diana, are you going back to Olympus now?"

Diana: "No Michael. I have been banished to Earth. Apparently Zeus feels the greatest punishment for my constant interventions is to be put back into the middle of things!"

Then further down the page:

Diana: "Now that I am a goddess, with power and immortality beyond the measure of humanity...there has never been a better time for Diana of Themyscria to once more claim the name of Wonder Woman."

I can't think of any other time when Zeus might have stripped her of her God-hood...since he/Byrne said (on page 9 of issue #135): "Then Ares is correct. To divested Diana of her God-hood wold be to condem her to death, since transfiguration was the mechanism by which she was saved from Hades' realm."

SO...knowing this...what the hell is DC thinking!?! They've got a Goddess and they're not doing anything with that. It's just so insane...I can't believe it...

[ 11-27-2001: Message edited by: Bianca ]

2500+ posts
2500+ posts
quote:
Originally posted by THE Franta:
...I mean other than the fact she's a girl Supes and Bats have several titles each...

Actually, I'd rather have great quality in the stories than an insane number of titles.

2500+ posts
2500+ posts
quote:
Originally posted by Dark Typhoid Dave:
...Witchblade, Fathom, Tomb Raider all rely upon the cheesecake factor. As does Danger Girl...

Cheesecake and WW should NEVER go together.

...WW has this mission statment of bringing peace to Man's World. Its still a big thing for the fans...

Exactly...but it's hell to try and do this. Hell, she tries her best to convert every villian she has. Barbara Minerva (the previous Cheetah), Valerie B. (the previous Silver Swan), Donna Milton/Circe (long story), etc.

Circe isn't around all that much, but she seems to be the only villian in her rogues gallery. How's that possible? Bats and Supes have more than one...and their main arch-enemy is fairly well known. Could most people name WW's? Probably not.

I love what Jimenez has done to the book, but he could do so much more...

...As much as we'd like to see her in a thong, long term fans do not...

Damn right. Seeing her in it once was plenty.

...I like the character, esp. after Perez's work on her to make her mythologically based as opposed to schlocky-invisible-plan-and-standard-powers based (per Byrne)...

You'd be surprised at how many fans still cannot get used to the idea that she can fly...instead of gliding on currents of air.

I'm the new breed of fan (only been around the book the past 50 issues, but I bought all the back issues) and have none of that pre-crisis stuff to keep me down.

2500+ posts
2500+ posts
quote:
Originally posted by rufusTfirefly:
Today's Wizard is reporting that Wonder Woman will be losing her virginity next year...

Why should anyone say anything anyway? Is losing one's virginity that much of a story grabber?

You'd never see this big a deal if it were happening to Donna Troy, Barbara Gordon, Dinha Lance, Harley, Pamela Isley, Powergirl, Jade, etc.

It's just disgusting that DC feels they have to hype Diana losing her virginity.

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
quote:
Originally posted by Bianca:

Actually, I'd rather have great quality in the stories than an insane number of titles.

B.....
I agree.....

what I am saying is WHY hasn't WW ever reached that status?

Not that it would be welcome but DAMN she is an icon much like those two!

And GOD DAMN to have lasted almost as long as Bats and Supes she deserves even MORE respect than these two!

WHY I MEAN WHY

Doesnt she get it??!?!?!?!?!?!?!

But those two do?!!?!?!?

2500+ posts
2500+ posts
The only thing I can think of is: DC is afraid to let Diana become as big an icon as Batman and Superman.

Think about it. There are other male heroes who get more specials and one-shots than a lot of the female heroes.

Take The Brave and the Bold stories/one shots. Granted the GL/Flash friendship is unique into itself, but should they (sorry guys) get more hype or status than Diana/Wonder Woman?

DC needs to really look at what they have and start using their brains.

When you walked into the (now nonexistant) WB Stores, what did you see in the girls/womens section? Tweety. The Power Puff Girls. Scooby Doo. In the two stores that were in my area, all I found related to WW were the smaller items (key chains, the beanie doll, small notepads, mugs, a glass, etc.) and then some really higher priced items (a Fossil watch {which I own & wear all the time}, the $45 or $75 statue and the smaller, gold brushed figurine for almost $100).

When it came to DC characters in the WB stores it was all about Bats and Supes. It was as biased as hell and I think it's because DC is just too damned scared to grab their own balls and make something happen.

Rob Offline OP
cobra kai
15000+ posts
OP Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
aww c'mon, you think there's secretive conspiracy sexist reasons why ww isnt as popular?

i dont think there's any real scheme behind it.

i think it comes down to this -- comic fans are 75% (and thats being less than generous) male. similarly, 75% kids (less than 18).

boys dont wanna girl super hero, any more than they want girl action figures.

plastic-man is also 60+ years old now, and he has even less attention than wondie (and he even had his own cartoon! with hula hula! )

the reason i stray from wonder woman now (that im the comic book geekiest that i've been in my life) is because she's too fucking confusing. what i know of her (current) history and character, there's just too much going on. even when i open up the issues, all i see is hundreds of words per page that read like they'd only make sense to someone who's been following the book since day 1.

for ww: i know lynda carter. thats just about it. she's a princess, her name's diana, she has(d) a see-thru plane even tho she can fly, and her bracelets make bullets bounce away. her powers are 90% of just about whatever superman has.

id say thats the general opinion and knowledge of wondie for any one not reading the book.

what she needs is a starting point. byrne tried to do that, but sorta (really) fucked it up.

she needs paul dini. he's the king at taking the best of everything offered, and amalgamating it into one ideal. he's also the king at taking something incredibly lame, and making it incredibly cool (i.e; mr freeze).

i dunno how his book with alex ross is (havent read it yet), but im guessing its great. but, i think diana would do better still with an animated(-like) paul dini book. the art doesnt have to be the animated style, but the stories would do great in that fashion.

simplifying everythign so new readers can jump in. iconizing her, and all things about her that make wondie unique (her villains, her heritage, the theological lifestyle, her royalty, etc).

Your death will make me king!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
where's fused?

The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
Let me write Wonder Woman.

Seriously, I think I could fix all the inconsistency.

500+ posts
500+ posts
Quote:

Rob Kamphausen said:
one thing that really annoyed me about wonderwoman was the semi-recent retcon that made the wonder woman we all know and love ... NOT the wonder woman we all know and love. her mom steps in, goes back in time, has a kid, comes back thru time, joins the jsa, back in time again, ... yadda yadda... too frickin confusing, and unnecessarily so.

It seems to me DC does this a lot. This is why it's tough for me to get into their characters. Marvel has issues at times but nothing like DC. I love what CRISIS did for the DCU. I think I'll kick back and read through it again this week. GREAT STUFF!

Life is short,,,, make it count......
The Swizzler....
6000+ posts
The Swizzler....
6000+ posts
Wait I thought she already did with Superman....or was that an Elseworlds thing?

Yeah WW should SOO have a kickin comic book team for once. I'd love to see her character more developed and everything. She was always my fav. superhero when I was a lil girl!

100+ posts
100+ posts
Quote:

Pariah said:
Let me write Wonder Woman.

Seriously, I think I could fix all the inconsistency.

HULK SAY NO ONE WANT READ PARIAH JERK OFF FANTASY!

3000+ posts
3000+ posts
Quote:

Wednesday said:
where's fused?

This asskicker broad owns all of you.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
thank you.

2500+ posts
2500+ posts
So, what're the thoughts on the book now that Rucka has been on it for a little while?

I'd comment, but "real life" has been getting in the way so I'm about 3 issues behind in my reading.

Ahh man... - Bianca
Ahh woman... - Pat

Bianca & Patrick ~ September 30, 2006
Tabarnak!
6000+ posts
Tabarnak!
6000+ posts
I really can't say I'm excited for Rucka's plans to bring her into the spotlight. From all of the gossip it seems that he intends to have her severly piss off Superman by executing one of his foes...Does this homicidal WW jibe with the public impressions of Diana, or does it just further confuse people who haven't been following the character? I don't think many people outside of her faithful readership are even aware of the Amazon code of battle that she follows...and watching her kill is not something we saw in the teleseries.

If karma's a bitch, it will be my bitch!
3000+ posts
3000+ posts
I'm down with seeing Diana fuck some shit up. I've actually dropped the title a few months ago because I realized as boring as
Rucka has been of late, it really doesnt help that the Drew Johnson art is about exciting as watching paint dry. Now that there are more kinetic artists popping in I think that the book will visually read a whole lot better.

Oh, and Fuck Linda Carter.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Quote:

Fused said:

If I ever get the opportunity......

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
Tabarnak!
6000+ posts
Tabarnak!
6000+ posts
Quote:

thedoctor said:
Quote:

Fused said:

If I ever get the opportunity......

Yeah, I think Linda has finally revealed the secret of Amazon immortality...Plastic surgery! That woman looks as good today as she did 30 years ago.

If karma's a bitch, it will be my bitch!
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
Inglourious Basterd!!!
15000+ posts
Inglourious Basterd!!!
15000+ posts
Thank you, Doctor. Thank you.

Uschi said:
I won't rape you, I'll just fuck you 'till it hurts and then not stop and you'll cry.

MisterJLA: RACKS so hard, he called Jim Rome "Chris Everett." In Him, all porn is possible. He is far above mentions in so-called "blogs." RACK him, lest ye be lost!

"I can't even brush my teeth without gagging!" - Tommy Tantillo: Wank & Cry, heckpuppy, and general laughingstock

[Linked Image from i6.photobucket.com]
Living the dream
15000+ posts
Living the dream
15000+ posts
Thank you thedoctor.

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
wonder woman really needs to be tittie fucked.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
As a side note, if you have your filter turned off on Yahoo when you do an image search for Linda Carter, you'll get a good deal of porn. Not porn with Linda Carter in it, but porn none the less.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

Rob Kamphausen said:

1) superman, 2) batman. well covered, well handled.

3) ... wonder woman.

more or less forgotten and ignored.

Disagree. I think the general populace still regards Wonder Woman as the 3rd in the DC Iconic Trinity. I mean, she got a TV show. Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman. All had *hit* TV shows in the 50s, 60s, and 70s, respectively.

We all wear a green carnation.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard