Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Supposedly, Michael Caine is telling people that Johnny Depp is signed for the Riddler and Phillip Seymour Hoffman as the Penguin.

Hoffman has tits so that should make Pro happy, even if Halle Berry doesn't come back as Catwoman.

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Caine is talking out of his arse probably.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Probably. But according to the original article, Caine has something of a rep for giving out accurate spoilers. Allegedly, he was the guy who first starting telling people Nolan had cast Ledger as the Joker.

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
would adding depp and/or hoffman to the film force the franchise over the shark in fans minds? casting the "hot hand" big name like depp, or whatever, sounds more like a WB decision and less like nolan decision, from what very little i know.

personally, i trust nolan to no end with the franchise. the first two movies were phenomenal, so he's earned it. you wanna cast cher as catwoman? fine. sounds odd as fuck, but i trust the guy to write it up good.

giant picture
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Personally, if they brought Depp aboard I would have thought they'd have him playing the Joker, on the theory that he's about the only guy (maybe Daniel Day Lewis being the other) who might be able to 'replace' Ledger and not cause a backlash.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Nowhereman
Caine is talking out of his arse probably.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
And Depp would suck balls as The Joker. I'd also cast Crispin Glover as The Riddler long before I'd cast Depp...

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Prometheus
And Depp would suck balls as The Joker....

Based on?

Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
hopefully Depps attempt at making his suicide seem accidental will be a little more believable....

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
this is Heath Ledger's bro.

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
And Depp would suck balls as The Joker. I'd also cast Crispin Glover as The Riddler long before I'd cast Depp...

I dont like Depp but Ledger's body of work before playing the Joker was worse. I have to think Ledger's performance was more director than actor driven...

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: britneyspearsatemyshorts
I have to think Ledger's performance was more director than actor driven...

I can see that. I think it's more that he saw an opportunity as an actor with Chris Nolan. Nolan would let him get out there and be the weirdest fuck he wanted to be with the role, and wouldn't require him to play the pretty-boy hearthrob. And it worked! Like you, at no point would I have guessed Heath Ledger (of all people) would make a good Joker...

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
The writing made the character, not the actor. He added absolutely nothing. He played a suicidal loser. That's what he was in real life. Anyone can replace him.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: rex
He added absolutely nothing. He played a suicidal loser. That's what he was in real life.

So... you plan on auditioning?

The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
It's kinda true though.

Just about anyone could play a charismatic bad guy. All that ir takes to make the character appealing are the acts he commits. And that is strictly writer/director driven.

The same could be said for the dude who played mullet boy in No Country For Old Men. They were ready to give that guy an Oscar for a part that required more writer and camera perspective than actual acting.

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
So basically what you are all saying is that any actor can play a role if you have a good director.
I'll remember that next time you are all moaning about an actor you dont like.

Pariah and Clooney springs to mind here!

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Yeah, cuz you wouldn't need someone with charisma to play a charismatic character.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
I'm saying that ledger brought nothing to the role. The writing and directing was great but the acting was average. Just like he did with all of his other roles.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
I think while Pariah has the Seal of Disapproval, Reax needs something. Something that reflects his ability to unconditionally and illogically hate anything or one that's loved by others. Maybe a 'Reax Badge of Jealousy'?

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
this is Heath Ledger's bro.

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
I think while Pariah has the Seal of Disapproval, Reax needs something. Something that reflects his ability to unconditionally and illogically hate anything or one that's loved by others. Maybe a 'Reax Badge of Jealousy'?

Its bitterness. Pay attention reax!

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
"Brian's Badge of Bitterness" then?

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
So basically what you are all saying is that any actor can play a role if you have a good director.

learn to read cunt! i said that Heath Ledger never did a good job before this (or after!), so it could be a director. think of wrestling, in many eyes the lowest form of acting, you can take a guy like Ric Flair and put him in the ring with a crap guy and with his direction the guy seems like a total pro, the guy wrestles next week and is shit again!

a great director can hide a actors weakness, and focus on his strengths. may Ledger had one great part to his acting game and Nolan saw it and focused on it.

now put Brokeback Mountain back in the DVd player and piss off!

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: the G-man
 Originally Posted By: rex
He added absolutely nothing. He played a suicidal loser. That's what he was in real life.

So... you plan on auditioning?
As his agent I think my client would be great for the Joker role. However, he will be busy filming his next role a direct to DVD film called Sling Blade 2: The Grocery Store Bagger. It was a role that was made for him. I even had the director write in a scene with sock fucking in it.

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts

learn to read cunt! i said that Heath Ledger never did a good job before this (or after!), so it could be a director. think of wrestling, in many eyes the lowest form of acting, you can take a guy like Ric Flair and put him in the ring with a crap guy and with his direction the guy seems like a total pro, the guy wrestles next week and is shit again!

a great director can hide a actors weakness, and focus on his strengths. may Ledger had one great part to his acting game and Nolan saw it and focused on it.

now put Brokeback Mountain back in the DVd player and piss off!

Look around the other posts here, apparently any actor could play the role.

No matter how good a director is, they cant make a truly shite actor look great.
By some peoples logic here, Nolan might as well have picked someone like Rob Kamphausen for the role, and he woulda played it exactly the same!

Theres a saying, you cant polish a turd!

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Acting is very different to wrestling.
In wrestling the focus would be on Flair, in a movie the focus was on Ledger.

Oh, and from what Nolan says, a lot of the stuff Ledger did was Ledgers own ideas, and allowed him to improvise!

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Hoffman as Penguin is news to Hoffman
Actor is NOT Confirmed for Third Batman Film

• Tue Sep 9, 2008 — by Robert Greenberger

The problem with smash hit films is that everyone immediately begins speculating about the sequel. After all, Hollywood is driven by success and “tent pole” films are necessary for business. Its one reason, studios stake out release dates years in advance, sometimes before there’s even a script (see Spider-Man 4).

Since the box office records shattered with The Dark Knight, everyone has been running around guessing who might be in the running for the third film from Christopher Nolan. Actors have let it be known they’re interested whether appropriate or not to the part. The merest hint news sends news around the Internet in a nanosecond.

As a result, retractions, clarifications or denunciations follow just a tad slower.

No sooner did the dust settle from the Cher-as-Catwoman nonsense, MTV began reporting that Michael Caine received Warner Bros. confirmation that the next movie in the series will offer up Johnny Depp as The Riddler and Philip Seymour Hoffman as the Penguin.

Of course, Nolan insists he hasn’t thought once about the next film, preferring to concentrate on a non-Bat feature as a palette cleanser before returning to Gotham City.

Hoffman, who would be terrific in just about any part short of Catwoman, told The Stone Report that ''Some friend of mine told me he read that [rumor]", Hoffman reported from the Toronto Film Festival. "First I heard of it. I don't think so.

"I grew up a comic book fan, so I love that stuff. I love going to that stuff. I think what they're doing with that whole Batman story is really true to what that whole Batman thing has always been. It's one of the darkest origins of a super-hero, to get all nerdy and geeky on you. That character sees his parents gunned down as a young child. I remember when I was a kid reading that story, so seeing it now come to life as the dark tale that it really is as an intense, really dark, very visceral, adult tale that they're doing now, all the great work people are doing on it, of course I wouldn't say, ‘Well, no, no no.' But I don't know the reality of it, so I wouldn't say ‘yes' to you."

Marvel isn’t immune from this nonsense either as they had to quickly stomp out the word that Will Smith was being cast as Steve Rogers in the Captain America movie. Previously, rumor had it Cap would be played by Matthew McConnaughy.

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
he sharted

giant picture
Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
general question: do you think nolan wrote out a third movie in his mind whilst writing the previous films? do you think he has crafted an overall story, with an end, or at least additional chapters?

giant picture
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
No. Next question.

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
it was a question for generals, not the likes of you

giant picture
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
Acting is very different to wrestling.
In wrestling the focus would be on Flair, in a movie the focus was on Ledger.

then you no shite about wrestling, John Cena is the focus of his match yet he cant make a turd look great like Flair, Hulk Hogan is the focus of his matches yet he cant/wont make a turd wrestler look great. The list can go on and on. You can polish a turd and make it look great as evidenced by Ledger. His acting has always been meh.

Quote:
Oh, and from what Nolan says, a lot of the stuff Ledger did was Ledgers own ideas, and allowed him to improvise!

as if it would be great for his career to say that the performance of this dead guy was owed all to himself, it's called being gracious after a death!

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Rob Kamphausen
general question: do you think nolan wrote out a third movie in his mind whilst writing the previous films? do you think he has crafted an overall story, with an end, or at least additional chapters?
Yup....just like George Lucas!

Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
then you no shite about wrestling, John Cena is the focus of his match yet he cant make a turd look great like Flair, Hulk Hogan is the focus of his matches yet he cant/wont make a turd wrestler look great. The list can go on and on. You can polish a turd and make it look great as evidenced by Ledger. His acting has always been meh.

If Cena or Hogan wrestled themselves, then you'd have a point. However, as either man is in the ring with at least one other guy, I award the battle of rhetoric to Nowhereman.

Knutreturns said: Spoken like the true Greatest RDCW Champ!

All hail King Snarf!

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: King Snarf

If Cena or Hogan wrestled themselves, then you'd have a point. However, as either man is in the ring with at least one other guy, I award the battle of rhetoric to Nowhereman.

do you just close your eyes and type now? that made no sense.

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: The New Adventures of Old PJP
Yup....just like George Lucas!

Batman and the lawyer chick are really brother and sister.

Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: King Snarf

do you just close your eyes and type now? that made no sense.

Didn't it, bsams? Didn't it?

Knutreturns said: Spoken like the true Greatest RDCW Champ!

All hail King Snarf!

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
nope.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Keanu Reeves is a suck actor, and has been in a lot of movies. Is it because he has or hasn't found the right director?

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts

I think he probably has a basic idea of the overview he wants to give to the Batman universe. But, judging from all practicalities at how he approaches cinema and movie franchises, I'd say he realizes it won't die with him. One would have thought, with the way he was going, that he was setting up a three-movie arc to end with 'The Dark Knight Returns'. At least that's the original feel I got to it. But, as the article above proves, who knows what he's thinking?

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard