Print Thread
Page 4 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: rex

Its ok if you still don't get it. I wouldn't expect someone of your intelligence to understand something like that.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Matter-eater Man
It's to bad McCain had to play things this way. If he had really wanted to work in a bipartisan matter on this issue, he should have tried working something out with Obama instead of putting a show on. McCain just made it harder to get something passed.

Wow.

In all seriousness, sometimes the level of duplicity you display in blind support of the DNC depresses me.

Just yesterday, in response to the news that Obama might not go back to DC for this, you posted the following:

I think that would be a big mistake on his part if he skips this vote.

Now comes the news that McCain invited him to try and work out a bipartisan deal and, as rex points out, Obama rejected the idea, preferring to remain on the campaign trail.

And, what do you do in response?

You attack McCain and defend Obama in a complete reversal of what you wrote approximately 24 hours ago.

I'm not kidding, MEM. I'm actually, for lack of better term, hurt that you are being so...sorry, but I can't think of a better word...slimey about this.

the Offline
Ignored by 3 users and 2 moderators
4000+ posts
4000+ posts
Rob Kamphausen ass-kicky Administrator cobra kai
15000+ posts Wed Sep 24 2008 09:46 PM Reading a post
Forum: Politics and Current Events
Thread: The Great Crash of 2008

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: PJP
It's to bad McCain had to play things this way. If he had really wanted to work in a bipartisan matter on this issue, he should have tried working something out with Obama instead of putting a show on. McCain just made it harder to get something passed.
you mean like last Monday when we needed our politicians to keep us calm and say we would figure this out, but Obama kept saying how the world is going to end? They both should have done this a week ago. My dog was right about Obama.

Was it that Monday or the one before it where McCain said the fundamentals of the economy were strong. Let me know what he settles on eventually.
it was the same day......the fundamentals are strong.

the Offline
4000+ posts
4000+ posts
PJP annoyed Moderator My Dog Supports John McCain
15000+ posts Wed Sep 24 2008 09:52 PM Reading a post

the Offline
4000+ posts
4000+ posts
Matter-eater Man argumentative User Fair Play!
5000+ posts Wed Sep 24 2008 09:52 PM Reading a post

the Offline
4000+ posts
4000+ posts
5000+ posts Wed Sep 24 2008 09:54 PM Reading a post

the Offline
4000+ posts
4000+ posts
5000+ posts Wed Sep 24 2008 10:01 PM Reading a post

the Offline
4000+ posts
4000+ posts
5000+ posts Wed Sep 24 2008 10:08 PM Reading a post

the Offline
4000+ posts
4000+ posts
5000+ posts Wed Sep 24 2008 10:09 PM Making a new reply
Thread: Re: McCain's action, Obama's talk, MEM's sleaze

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: whomod
The McCain campaign is in full panic mode after 2 full weeks of McCain being 2 steps behind this financial crisis. If you want to believe McCain is incapable of debating and single handedly solving a logjam that isn't a logjam and that he's only able to do it from Washington..

Hold on. For nearly eight years, one of the left's favorite talking points against President Bush has been that he spends too much time "on vacation" at his ranch, instead of in Washington, the argument being that a leader can't solve problems if he isn't in Washington.

And, now, when it's convenient to attack McCain, the left is reversing its position...?

Geez. Have you no shame?

Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
he beats his wife, of course he has no shame.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
According to Bob Schieffer over at CBS this morning, McCain got involved in the bailout negotiations after Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson told Sen. Lindsey Graham yesterday that negotiations would collapse unless McCain got involved:
  • McCain got involved in this in the first place, the Treasury Secretary was briefing Republicans in the House yesterday, the Republican conference, asked how many were ready to support the bailout plan. Only four of them held up their hands.

Paulson then called, according to my sources, Senator Lindsay Graham, who is very close to John McCain, and told him: you've got to get the people in the McCain campaign, you've got to convince John McCain to give these Republicans some political cover. If you don't do that, this whole bailout plan is going to fail. So that's how, apparently, McCain became involved.

So much for a “stunt”.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
McCain could have given his party cover without "suspending" the campaign. It's a stunt & while I enjoy good theater this should have been treated more carefully. I'm a little dissapointed in McCain on this.

Fair play!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I stand by my earlier comment to you, MEM.

Originally Posted By: the G-man

Wow.

In all seriousness, sometimes the level of duplicity you display in blind support of the DNC depresses me.

Just (Wednesday), in response to the news that Obama might not go back to DC for this, you posted the following:

Now comes the news that McCain invited him to try and work out a bipartisan deal and, as rex points out, Obama rejected the idea, preferring to remain on the campaign trail.

You attack McCain and defend Obama in a complete reversal of what you wrote approximately 24 hours ago.

I'm not kidding, MEM. I'm actually, for lack of better term, hurt that you are being so...sorry, but I can't think of a better word...slimey about this.

The more about this that comes out, the more it looks like McCain exactly what you said you expected of Obama, yet you attack McCain for it.

I'm not kidding. This really makes me sad to think you'd sink this low.

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
me too.

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
my dog was right.

Kneel!
10000+ posts
Kneel!
10000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Mott the Hoople
besides you were getting too serious. Lighten up!

you must not spend much time in the politics forum...

big_pimp_tim-made it cool to roll in the first damn place!
Mon Jun 11 2007 09:27 PM-harley finally rolled with me
"I'm working with him...he's young but, there is much potential. He can apprentice with me and then he's yours for final training. He will remember the face of his father...

Some day, Knutreturns just may be the greatest of us all...."-THE bastard
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
According to ABC News, Bill Clinton has come and said McCain is acting in good faith by suspending his campaign:
  • Former President Bill Clinton defended Sen. John McCain's request to delay the first presidential debate, saying McCain did it in "good faith" and pushed organizers to reserve time for economy talk during the debate if the Friday plans move forward.

"We know he didn't do it because he's afraid because Sen. McCain wanted more debates," Clinton said, adding that he was "encouraged" by the joint statement from McCain and Sen. Barack Obama.

"I presume he did that in good faith since I know he wanted -- I remember he asked for more debates to go all around the country and so I don't think we ought to overly parse that."

So, even Bill Clinton is praising McCain here.

the G-man #1008469 2008-09-25 11:59 PM
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
I stand by my earlier comment to you, MEM.

Wow.

Just (Wednesday), in response to the news that Obama might not go back to DC for this, you posted the following:

The more about this that comes out, the more it looks like McCain exactly what you said you expected of Obama, yet you attack McCain for it.

I'm not kidding. This really makes me sad to think you'd sink this low.

Glad I'm not so sensitive. I look at all the low sleazy things you've done on the Obama thread & it's sorta "meh it's G-man at it again"

That said, I was honest that I thought it would be a mistake if Obama didn't make the vote. That's not the same thing as McCain suspending his campaign. And now it looks like he really didn't suspend his campaign despite his claim to do so. I still like the guy & will certainly be far more respective of him than I think you could ever be of the other guy.

Fair play!
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
why must you hate America so much?

whomod Offline OP
some RKMB'ers are Obsessed with Black People Hmmm?
5000+ posts
OP Offline
5000+ posts
BREAKING: Washington Mutual seized by feds, biggest bank failure in US history

WSJ:

Quote:
In what is by far the largest bank failure in U.S. history, federal regulators seized Washington Mutual Inc. and struck a deal to sell the bulk of its operations to J.P. Morgan Chase & Co.

Pedestrians walk past a Washington Mutual branch in downtown Seattle.

The closing represents the demise of what once was the largest U.S. thrift but came to symbolize many of the worst excesses of the mortgage boom. Federal regulators said WaMu has suffered an exodus of $16.7 billion in deposits since Sept. 15, leaving the Seattle thrift "with insufficient liquidity to meet its obligations." As a result, WaMu was in "an unsafe and unsound condition to transact business," according to the Office of Thrift Supervision.[/b

Reuters:

Quote:
[b] The transaction ends exactly 119 years of independence for Washington Mutual, whose predecessor was incorporated on September 25, 1889, "to offer its stockholders a safe and profitable vehicle for investing and lending," according to the thrift's website. This helped Seattle residents rebuild after a fire torched the city's downtown.

AP:

Quote:
For all depositors and other customers of Washington Mutual Bank, this is simply a combination of two banks," Bair said in a statement. "For bank customers, it will be a seamless transition. There will be no interruption in services and bank customers should expect business as usual come Friday morning."...

Washington Mutual ran into trouble after it got caught up in the booming part of the mortgage business that made loans to people with bad credit, known as subprime borrowers.

Troubles spread to other parts of WaMu's home loan portfolio, namely its "option" adjustable-rate mortgage loans. Option ARM loans offer very low introductory payments and let borrowers defer some interest payments until later years. The bank stopped originating those loans in June.

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
BREAKING: Washington Mutual seized by feds, biggest bank failure in US history

WSJ:

Quote:
In what is by far the largest bank failure in U.S. history, federal regulators seized Washington Mutual Inc. and struck a deal to sell the bulk of its operations to J.P. Morgan Chase & Co.

Pedestrians walk past a Washington Mutual branch in downtown Seattle.

The closing represents the demise of what once was the largest U.S. thrift but came to symbolize many of the worst excesses of the mortgage boom. Federal regulators said WaMu has suffered an exodus of $16.7 billion in deposits since Sept. 15, leaving the Seattle thrift "with insufficient liquidity to meet its obligations." As a result, WaMu was in "an unsafe and unsound condition to transact business," according to the Office of Thrift Supervision.[/b

Reuters:

Quote:
[b] The transaction ends exactly 119 years of independence for Washington Mutual, whose predecessor was incorporated on September 25, 1889, "to offer its stockholders a safe and profitable vehicle for investing and lending," according to the thrift's website. This helped Seattle residents rebuild after a fire torched the city's downtown.

AP:

Quote:
For all depositors and other customers of Washington Mutual Bank, this is simply a combination of two banks," Bair said in a statement. "For bank customers, it will be a seamless transition. There will be no interruption in services and bank customers should expect business as usual come Friday morning."...

Washington Mutual ran into trouble after it got caught up in the booming part of the mortgage business that made loans to people with bad credit, known as subprime borrowers.

Troubles spread to other parts of WaMu's home loan portfolio, namely its "option" adjustable-rate mortgage loans. Option ARM loans offer very low introductory payments and let borrowers defer some interest payments until later years. The bank stopped originating those loans in June.

Sincerely, retarded fucknut.

Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
Republicans in rebellion against Bush/Paulson plan. Bailout talks break down.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080926/ap_on_bi_ge/financial_meltdown;_ylt=Aq9GvNRHUImnx72p43X0ppqyBhIF

whomod Offline OP
5000+ posts
OP Offline
5000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: iggy

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080926/ap_on_bi_ge/financial_meltdown;_ylt=Aq9GvNRHUImnx72p43X0ppqyBhIF

Politico:
Some House Republicans would rather see the market crash

Quote:
According to one GOP lawmaker, some House Republicans are saying privately that they’d rather “let the markets crash” than sign on to a massive bailout.

“For the sake of the altar of the free market system, do you accept a Great Depression?” the member asked.

Putting that little bit of horror aside, here's a quote guaranteed to make you chuckle:

Quote:
President Bush’s lame duck status, and his heavy hand in dealing with lawmakers in his own party for the last seven-plus years, is also coming back to haunt the White House, as House Republicans grumble that Bush is “trying to tear up the Constitution” by committing the federal government to such a massive intervention in the U.S. financial markets.

Yeah, Republicans caring about the Constitution. Seven years too late, you jerks. They only care about the Constitution when money is involved - their money.

Ok, this is interesting too:

Quote:
[Michael Steel, spokesman for House Minority Leader John Boehner (R-Ohio)] reiterated that Rep. Spencer Bachus (R-Ala.) — who, as ranking member of the House Financial Service Committee participated in talks on the compromise — "wasn't empowered to negotiate" any agreement on behalf of other House Republican.

So the top House Republican on finance issues isn't empowered to negotiate for House Republicans on finance issues. Now tell me who is in disarray and mucking up the entire process. It sounds like there's a bit of chaos in Republican-land.

Quote:
“The Republican Party right now is fractured," said one GOP member who didn't want to be named. “’Fractured’ is not even the right word...Human nature is taking over."

This Republican lawmaker said that "there are two or three groups trying to write their own bill, which is virtually impossible. Six or seven of these guys get together and think they can write their own bill.”

and then get a load of John McCain.........

the Offline
4000+ posts
4000+ posts
whomod content User some RKMB'ers are Obsessed with Cock and Gayness. Hmmm?
5000+ posts Fri Sep 26 2008 12:44 AM Making a new reply
Thread: Re: Washington Mutual Kaput!

whomod Offline OP
5000+ posts
OP Offline
5000+ posts
.....Same as it ever was...

CBS: McCain offered last-minute new proposal with fewer regulations and more corporate tax cuts

Quote:
KATIE COURIC: And, Bob, I understand that John McCain actually floated an alternative plan. What can you tell us about that?

BOB ORR: We're told at the White House Senator McCain offered an alternative plan that would include fewer regulations and more corporate tax breaks for businesses, kind of a private solution. But we're also told those ideas angered and surprised Democrats like banking chairman Chris Dodd who now says he thinks the White House summit was more of a political stunt for McCain.

On the bright side this should spell the end of the Republican Party and their candidate.

the Offline
4000+ posts
4000+ posts
5000+ posts Fri Sep 26 2008 12:47 AM Making a new reply
Thread: Re: Republicans Crash The Economy

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: iggy

Politico:
Some House Republicans would rather see the market crash

Quote:
According to one GOP lawmaker, some House Republicans are saying privately that they’d rather “let the markets crash” than sign on to a massive bailout.

“For the sake of the altar of the free market system, do you accept a Great Depression?” the member asked.

Putting that little bit of horror aside, here's a quote guaranteed to make you chuckle:

Quote:
President Bush’s lame duck status, and his heavy hand in dealing with lawmakers in his own party for the last seven-plus years, is also coming back to haunt the White House, as House Republicans grumble that Bush is “trying to tear up the Constitution” by committing the federal government to such a massive intervention in the U.S. financial markets.

Yeah, Republicans caring about the Constitution. Seven years too late, you jerks. They only care about the Constitution when money is involved - their money.

Ok, this is interesting too:

Quote:
[Michael Steel, spokesman for House Minority Leader John Boehner (R-Ohio)] reiterated that Rep. Spencer Bachus (R-Ala.) — who, as ranking member of the House Financial Service Committee participated in talks on the compromise — "wasn't empowered to negotiate" any agreement on behalf of other House Republican.

So the top House Republican on finance issues isn't empowered to negotiate for House Republicans on finance issues. Now tell me who is in disarray and mucking up the entire process. It sounds like there's a bit of chaos in Republican-land.

Quote:
“The Republican Party right now is fractured," said one GOP member who didn't want to be named. “’Fractured’ is not even the right word...Human nature is taking over."

This Republican lawmaker said that "there are two or three groups trying to write their own bill, which is virtually impossible. Six or seven of these guys get together and think they can write their own bill.”

and then get a load of John McCain.........

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
.....Same as it ever was...

CBS: McCain offered last-minute new proposal with fewer regulations and more corporate tax cuts

Quote:
KATIE COURIC: And, Bob, I understand that John McCain actually floated an alternative plan. What can you tell us about that?

BOB ORR: We're told at the White House Senator McCain offered an alternative plan that would include fewer regulations and more corporate tax breaks for businesses, kind of a private solution. But we're also told those ideas angered and surprised Democrats like banking chairman Chris Dodd who now says he thinks the White House summit was more of a political stunt for McCain.

On the bright side this should spell the end of the Republican Party and their candidate.

the Offline
4000+ posts
4000+ posts
rex ass-kicky User breaker of the insurgency
15000+ posts Fri Sep 26 2008 12:51 AM Reading a post

whomod Offline OP
5000+ posts
OP Offline
5000+ posts

Just as I alluded to this afternoon, McCain has now jeopardized the bailout deal. Nice stunt our hero pulled. Now things are worse. McCain reckless fratboy rashness politicized a deal that was almost done. Compete freaking moron. Don't believe me, read Politico:

Quote:
A high-profile White House meeting on Treasury’s $700 billion Wall Street rescue plan ended Thursday on a sour, contentious note, with no joint endorsement by the two presidential candidates, Sens. John McCain and Barack Obama.

Democrats complained of being “blindsided” by a new conservative alternative to the plan first put forward by Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson. And the outcome casts doubt on the ability of Congress to move quickly on the matter, even after leaders of House and Senate banking committees reached a bipartisan agreement Thursday on the framework for legislation authorizing the massive government intervention.

It was McCain who urged President Bush to call the White House meeting attended by House and Senate leaders as well as Obama, his Democratic rival. But the candidates left without commenting to reporters outside, and the whole sequence of events confirmed Treasury’s fears about inserting presidential politics into what were already difficult negotiations.

Wall Street had posted a gain of 197 points earlier in the day, buoyed by hopes of an agreement. The markets had closed by the end of the White House meeting, but Friday could bring turmoil, and there will be immense pressure now by Treasury to get back on track before Monday.

"Country first" my ass. We'll be incredibly lucky to escape certain economic disaster now. All because a desperate John McCain wanted to try to inject a new stunt into his quickly collapsing campaign. Asshole.

Now look at this guy:

He reasserts the importance of not injecting presidential politics into this delicate process and is actually acting responsible and more importantly, Presidential.

I dunoo... it's beyond the pale what John McCain has done today. I think the country got a measure of just exactly who John McCain is, today and also of Barack Obama's more responsible approach.

This is how it ends for the GOP but hopefully not for our economy....

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts

Just as I alluded to this afternoon, McCain has now jeopardized the bailout deal. Nice stunt our hero pulled. Now things are worse. McCain reckless fratboy rashness politicized a deal that was almost done. Compete freaking moron. Don't believe me, read Politico:

Quote:
A high-profile White House meeting on Treasury’s $700 billion Wall Street rescue plan ended Thursday on a sour, contentious note, with no joint endorsement by the two presidential candidates, Sens. John McCain and Barack Obama.

Democrats complained of being “blindsided” by a new conservative alternative to the plan first put forward by Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson. And the outcome casts doubt on the ability of Congress to move quickly on the matter, even after leaders of House and Senate banking committees reached a bipartisan agreement Thursday on the framework for legislation authorizing the massive government intervention.

It was McCain who urged President Bush to call the White House meeting attended by House and Senate leaders as well as Obama, his Democratic rival. But the candidates left without commenting to reporters outside, and the whole sequence of events confirmed Treasury’s fears about inserting presidential politics into what were already difficult negotiations.

Wall Street had posted a gain of 197 points earlier in the day, buoyed by hopes of an agreement. The markets had closed by the end of the White House meeting, but Friday could bring turmoil, and there will be immense pressure now by Treasury to get back on track before Monday.

"Country first" my ass. We'll be incredibly lucky to escape certain economic disaster now. All because a desperate John McCain wanted to try to inject a new stunt into his quickly collapsing campaign. Asshole.

Now look at this guy:

He reasserts the importance of not injecting presidential politics into this delicate process and is actually acting responsible and more importantly, Presidential.

I dunoo... it's beyond the pale what John McCain has done today. I think the country got a measure of just exactly who John McCain is, today and also of Barack Obama's more responsible approach.

This is how it ends for the GOP but hopefully not for our economy....

the Offline
4000+ posts
4000+ posts
Jeremy happy Moderator Hangin' out like double D's
10000+ posts Fri Sep 26 2008 01:05 AM Reading a post

the Offline
4000+ posts
4000+ posts
5000+ posts Fri Sep 26 2008 01:06 AM Reading a post

whomod Offline OP
5000+ posts
OP Offline
5000+ posts
A GOP strategist has just said on CNN that House Republicans are putting party first, to hell with the country

Sam Stein at Huff Post:

Quote:
"At the end of the day, there's a lot of people thinking about how to rebuild this party," said strategist Ed Rollins on CNN, "and do we want to rebuild it with John McCain, who's always kind of questionable on the basic facts of fiscal control, all the rest of it, immigration. And I think to a certain extent this 110, 115 members of this study group are saying, here's the time to draw the line in the sand."

"That's pretty scary stuff that they're thinking about party right now and not country, is that what you're saying?" responded host Anderson Cooper.

"I think they're, yes, they're thinking about themselves," said Rollins. "I think they don't think that the threat is as great as a lot of other people do."

Listen, I was all for slowing the process down a bit to make sure we weren't getting snookered by Bush with a ill looked at bill like the Patriot act that he was trying to rush thru Congress. I sure as fuck didn't want to see this degenerate into an ideological battle with the true believers of deregulation and free markets. Not when the stakes are almost inconceivably huge.

These fucks ideology caused this disaster and they're going to see it through to it's bitter full fruition apparently. With McCain all the while trying to position himself politically to whatever end he thinks he can gain some traction.

Total. Fucking. disaster.

So I guess I can look forward to Black Friday again tomorrow?

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
KILL WHITEY!

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
Living the dream
15000+ posts
Living the dream
15000+ posts
I'm reading more on the WaMu business. Now that JPMorgan has their assets they're #2...at least until Bank of America's purchase of Merrill Lynch is final. With how all of this is affecting my job and my customers (they're getting pooped on), I'm very close to going part time to go back to school. The banking world is an ugly place right now.

whomod Offline OP
5000+ posts
OP Offline
5000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Captain Sammitch
KILL WHITEY!

That sounds so trite and frankly stupid right now on the brink of almost certain economic disaster.

Grow up why don't you?

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
A GOP strategist has just said on CNN that House Republicans are putting party first, to hell with the country

Sam Stein at Huff Post:

Quote:
"At the end of the day, there's a lot of people thinking about how to rebuild this party," said strategist Ed Rollins on CNN, "and do we want to rebuild it with John McCain, who's always kind of questionable on the basic facts of fiscal control, all the rest of it, immigration. And I think to a certain extent this 110, 115 members of this study group are saying, here's the time to draw the line in the sand."

"That's pretty scary stuff that they're thinking about party right now and not country, is that what you're saying?" responded host Anderson Cooper.

"I think they're, yes, they're thinking about themselves," said Rollins. "I think they don't think that the threat is as great as a lot of other people do."

Listen, I was all for slowing the process down a bit to make sure we weren't getting snookered by Bush with a ill looked at bill like the Patriot act that he was trying to rush thru Congress. I sure as fuck didn't want to see this degenerate into an ideological battle with the true believers of deregulation and free markets. Not when the stakes are almost inconceivably huge.

These fucks ideology caused this disaster and they're going to see it through to it's bitter full fruition apparently. With McCain all the while trying to position himself politically to whatever end he thinks he can gain some traction.

Total. Fucking. disaster.

So I guess I can look forward to Black Friday again tomorrow?

Page 4 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard