Originally Posted By: Nowhereman
I just dont think Eccleston had any intention of doing more than one series, right from the off.
I'd also hazard a guess that he had to be persuaded to play The Doctor in the first place, as he likes to be seen as a "serious" actor. (although rumour has it he emailed Davis to be put on the list)

According to the Confidential specials they show after each episode, RTD said that he was shocked when Eccleston (of all people) emailed him asking to be considered for the role. Now, how much that is media spin, I don't know.

Quote:
He's much the same as Chris Barrie from Red Dwarf IMO, in so far that he thought he was big enough to just walk away from the show, and jump into much bigger roles.
In fact, he has already admitted in interviews, that he was never a fan of Doctor Who, which once again sugests, he never really had any respect for the role, and just wanted something that might be able to further his career.

Unlike Barrie, he couldnt come crawling back when he ended up no better off than when he started.

I don't know. You're probably right. I do know that one of the reasons he stated he wanted to do it because he was tired of people thinking of him as a "miserable cunt". But, it's not like he has stopped doing movies and stuff, before and after Who. He was the "Dark Rider" character in that Harry Potter-wannabe movie last year, and he's currently filming as Destro for GIJOE I believe. So, I guess it could be seen, either way.

Quote:
As for the accent thing, I dont think its national pride, I think its just his inability to adapt to any non-northern roles.

You're probably right. I've never heard him even try to do something different in any other role, so I don't know. He probably can't.

Quote:
I dont hate Eccleston, I just think some people put him on too much of a pedestal for his so called "acting" abilities!

I'm the same with Tennant.

As I stated before, I think Chris can bring across intensity and gravitasp in any role. I think that is what he does best, you know? Other than that, I've never studied him enough to know whether he deserves an oscar or anything...