Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 13 of 17 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
A studio? Underreport earnings? That never happens.
Sincerely,
Art Buchwald

Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: thedoctor
Paramount and Fox. I'm sure the two of them, Fox especially, have their own auditors checking over the books to make sure they get their share. 'Creative bookkeeping' is a mainstay in Hollywood, so they'd know what to look for.

Even knowing what to look for wouldn't necessarily stop it. There are yearly lawsuits filed for these sorts of things and the plaintiff doesn't always win, it may be worth it on their part to give it a try and hope to win. Corporations do risk/reward assessments for these type of things all the time.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Originally, there was a lot of talk that Fox really wanted the right to put the 1966 Batman series on DVD. Anyone know what ever came of that?

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
They realized it was a gay show and said "fuck it".

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
Making sure it never comes out on DVD was a big point in the negotiation.

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: the G-man of Zur-En-Arrh
Originally, there was a lot of talk that Fox really wanted the right to put the 1966 Batman series on DVD. Anyone know what ever came of that?

It was just speculation, so unless something is announced soon, you can assume it was just wishful thinking on someones part!

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
Richard Simmons.

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
He only wants the best for Rob!

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
She is his father

The Once, and Future Cunt
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
http://movies.yahoo.com/news/movies.ap.org/watchmen-conquers-box-office-with-557-million-ap
 Quote:
"Watchmen " clocked in with $55.7 million in ticket sales to claim the top spot at the box office, making director Zack Snyder 's comic book adaptation about a team of twisted superheros the biggest opening of 2009 so far.

Still, it was not quite as big as the $70 million take of Snyder's "300" in 2007.

Dan Fellman, head of distribution for "Watchmen" studio Warner Bros ., said it was unfair to compare the two films.

"They're two different movies," Fellman said Sunday. "This is a movie that runs two hours and 45 minutes. That really only leaves the exhibitor with one showing a night. If you have an 8 o'clock show, the next show is at midnight. So with essentially one show a night, I think this is outstanding."

Fans of the subversive comic book series by writer Alan Moore and illustrator Dave Gibbons waited years for Snyder's big-screen version. The anticipation was complicated last year when Warner Bros. and 20th Century Fox fought over who owned rights to the $125 million film. The studios eventually settled in January, keeping the March 6 opening intact.

Many "Watchmen" enthusiasts raced to IMAX theaters to see the exploits of Dr. Manhattan and company on the bigger screens. Greg Foster , chairman and president of IMAX Filmed Entertainment, said the movie sold out on all 124 IMAX screens it was playing on during the weekend and was the second largest opening in company history behind another superhero film, 2008's " The Dark Knight ."

I smell sequel!

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/the_big_picture/2009/03/watchmen-box-of.html

Quote:
A wise old Hollywood hand taught me ages ago that the only way you can even begin to figure out a film's profit potential on its opening weekend is by knowing how much it cost to make in the first place.

So, if you were trying to write a halfway knowledgeable story about the opening weekend box office for "Watchmen," you would surely want to mention somewhere how much the movie cost. With that in mind, while most of the buzz in Hollywood today was about whether "Watchmen's" $56-million weekend take was a boffo opening or a bust (since the Zack Snyder-directed film didn't come close to the $70 million Snyder's "300" made on exactly the same date two years ago), I was eyeballing the showbiz media coverage to see if anyone got to the real issue -- was $56 million a good opening for a movie that cost roughly $150 million to make?

I hate to say it, but most of the media flunked their Hollywood math quiz. I've had my beefs with my own newspaper's box-office coverage over the years, but today's piece -- written by David Pierson -- aced the exam. Watchmen_2 The story not only had the $150-million figure but mentioned a key detail, noting that "Watchmen" actually outpaced "300's" Friday numbers, but then fell off badly afterward, something that bodes poorly for the film's performance in days to come. Pierson also noted that this drop-off came despite an aggressive marketing campaign amid "scant competition and an uptick in U.S. movie attendance."

The Wall Street Journal also passed the test, since its story included a budget figure (though it had the budget at only "more than $120 million"). But virtually everyone else flunked. The New York Times, for example, had room in its story to offer a hilarious quote from a Duke University professor (sorry about that tough loss to the Tarheels, big guy) who went to see the film and announced that "Everyone around me liked it a lot more than I did." But the Times didn't bother to dig up a budget number.

The weakest story, sadly, was from Variety, the showbiz trade whose reporters are incredibly knowledgeable but rarely show off their inside-dope in their reporting. So Variety's story had all sorts of arcane information about "Watchmen," including its running time, ratings history, theater count, etc. -- but no budget figure. Since it's apparently impossible for any Variety scribe to describe any showbiz event as "disappointing," the story decided to call the film's performance "lower than expected," though it immediately added the upbeat assessment that the film was "still scoring the best opening of the year and one of the best showings ever for an R-rated film." But a budget figure? Not a chance.

And what about Deadline Hollywood's Nikki Finke, who last week ran a post saying her box-office experts were predicting that the movie would do $70 million? Well, Nikki flunked the test -- twice. First off, her post on the box-office results, which claimed that the film had a "blockbuster" opening, never mentioned a budget number. And secondly, she took down her original $70 million prediction post, simply clicking a key and making it vanish into thin air. When she's right, she trumpets her scoops with a huge "TOLDJA!" headline. But when her sources are off the mark, she gets rid of the damning evidence. When I e-mailed her, wondering what happened to the original post, she said that her writing over her wrongs was completely transparent. Actually, I'd say it's the complete opposite.

But for the record, here is her response, just the way she e-mailed it to me: "As usual Patrick, and other Monday morning quarterbacks, you don't know what you're talking about. Every weekend I do box office, and some of the time, I leave up the predictions by my box office gurus. And some of the time I refine the predictions as the box office comes in. My goal is to keep up the most accurate box office in real time, and I accomplish that."

So how did "Watchmen" actually do? We'll know for sure next weekend. If it only drops off 30% or 40%, it could hold up well enough here and overseas to turn a profit. But if the drop is closer to the collapse the "Matrix Revolutions" sequel suffered, everyone who has a lot of money in the picture -- starting with Warners -- will be battening down the hatches, since its hard to believe that "Watchmen's" extreme violence and strange Nixonian-era American politics will make it a much bigger winner overseas than here.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I can't wait for the second one!

"Hey this is PCG342's bro..."
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Caddyshack 2?

"Are you eating it...or is it eating you?"

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com] [/center]

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com][/center]
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Three!

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
For me Caddyshack II had unanswered questions.

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
Like whether or not the girl had ever seen a crisp $20 bill?

Banned from the DCMBs since 2002.
15000+ posts
Banned from the DCMBs since 2002.
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Joe Mama

I had a chuckle at how Ozymandias saves the Comedian from falling out the window.

Pimping my site, again.

http://www.worldcomicbookreview.com

Sikkbones
1500+ posts
Sikkbones
1500+ posts

The funny thing is that the genius of The Watchmen is that even though it was written in the 80s you can find relevance in todays world (no matter what side of the aisle you come from). A basic idea that threads through the books and movie is the corruption of power and the abuse of that same power to do "good" in the face of crisis. Now, This is not in any way meant to be a political commentary or an attack on anyone's beliefs(I'll leave those debates for "The Debate Forum"). But all of us on the left and the right have seen things from our opponents over the last few years that we would see as such abuse. Whether it be in the "War on Terror" of the previous administration or the "War on the Financial crisis" of the current one, all of us geeks, both Liberal and Conservative can find examples in the real world that makes us shudder when we reread the Watchmen. I know what I am trying to say and I hope I wrote it in a way that is decipherable...lol

Long story short. Grant any of us that much power and no matter how noble our intentions, we can be corrupted. Or vice-versa, sometimes what we see as corrupt is done for noble reasons.

http://www.finalstage.ca
http:www.459.betrayer.ca
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Black Machismo

Long story short.

That wasn't short.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
Kneel!
10000+ posts
Kneel!
10000+ posts

(I'll leave those debates for "The Debate Forum").

youll be the first. most everyone else just cant seem to help it...

big_pimp_tim-made it cool to roll in the first damn place!
Mon Jun 11 2007 09:27 PM-harley finally rolled with me
"I'm working with him...he's young but, there is much potential. He can apprentice with me and then he's yours for final training. He will remember the face of his father...

Some day, Knutreturns just may be the greatest of us all...."-THE bastard
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts

The funny thing is that the genius of The Watchmen is that even though it was written in the 80s you can find relevance in todays world (no matter what side of the aisle you come from). A basic idea that threads through the books and movie is the corruption of power and the abuse of that same power to do "good" in the face of crisis. Now, This is not in any way meant to be a political commentary or an attack on anyone's beliefs(I'll leave those debates for "The Debate Forum"). But all of us on the left and the right have seen things from our opponents over the last few years that we would see as such abuse. Whether it be in the "War on Terror" of the previous administration or the "War on the Financial crisis" of the current one, all of us geeks, both Liberal and Conservative can find examples in the real world that makes us shudder when we reread the Watchmen. I know what I am trying to say and I hope I wrote it in a way that is decipherable...lol

Long story short. Grant any of us that much power and no matter how noble our intentions, we can be corrupted. Or vice-versa, sometimes what we see as corrupt is done for noble reasons.

I'll agree with what you said as it is indicative of Alan Moore's philosophy on government and control. See 'V for Vendetta'.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
"The Debate Forum"? Do you even read the shit you cut and paste, you lazy wench?

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
That's just his way of saying he's too scared to give his opinion.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Words cause black eyes too, Mxy. Words cause black eyes too.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: rex
That's just his way of saying he's too scared to give his opinion.

Actually, that's his way of saying he cuts and pastes 90% of his posts from other places. Most of them are from the DCMBs. You can tell he wrote it himself if he's saying this is his last ever post.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Is 'Watchmen' the 'Fight Club' of superhero films?
  • I think there's a good chance that, like "Fight Club," this movie will echo in pop culture for quite a while and become a landmark moment that will take on different contours when viewed in hindsight. Not everyone agrees with me, of course ...

living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
Words cause black eyes too, Mxy. Words cause black eyes too.

You walked into the door. Do I have to tell you again?

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Saw Watchmen.

I liked most of it. The music bothered me though. It just seemed out of place.

I also didn't like the bullet catch scene. For me that was one of my favorite parts of the book. Adding the kevlar gloves took the amazing out of it.

I didn't like that Donny had to go, but I know a little Lebowski is on the way.

The dude abides.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Also I have not been able to sleep in 72 hours.

Halp!

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Im Not Mister Mxyzptlk

Actually, that's his way of saying he cuts and pastes 90% of his posts from other places. Most of them are from the DCMBs. You can tell he wrote it himself if he's saying this is his last ever post.

\:lol\:

"Are you eating it...or is it eating you?"

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com] [/center]

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com][/center]
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
WATCHMEN plummets 71%
  • ...last weekend’s winner Watchmen staggered to a second Friday of only $5.2M or so, and I am projecting only $15.75M for the 3-day. That marks a 71% drop. Anything over $20M would have been acceptable, but the bottom has fallen out of this movie, and it will now struggle to reach $100M domestic. When the foreign and DVD are added, it may make a small profit, but it will likely be negligible. The superstitious might suggest that Watchmen writer Alan Moore’s alleged curse may be to blame, but the reality is that word-of-mouth has been more negative than for any movie in recent memory.

I have mixed feelings. I enjoyed the movie and would see it again. However, as mentioned above, I was afraid that, if it was a big hit, it would just inspire shitty sequels and reinforce WB's earlier thought that now every comic book movie had to be dark and gritty.

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
I pretty much predicted it will have a big opening for those people expecting another Dark Knight/Iron Man etc, then drop off as soon as the unititated realise its not a superhero film once word spreads!

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
At best, I could see this movie being the modern equivalent to "Blade Runner." Both movies opened big with people expecting something traditional (BR: Harrison Ford action-fantasy, ala Star Wars or Indiana Jones; WM: Iron Man/DK style film) and who, instead, got ambitious dark sci-fi movies with incredible visuals and a downbeat, ambiguous ending. Just as BR ended up doing poorly at the box office and then became a cult film and then, a classic perhaps that's the best that we can expect from Watchmen.

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
I was talking to some women at work the day it came out, just after I had been to see it, and several of them said they really wanted to see it.
I pointed out that it wasnt actually a superhero film, and explained how bloody it was in places, without spoiling things.

One said that she knew it wasnt a superhero film (which she probably didnt, but she never likes it when I tell her she might be wrong about something), and the others all said "Not so sure I want to see it now!".

The trailers really do sell it as another hero flick, which is typical of movie advertising anyway, to sell a film that you think might not be that big, as something else.
We all get caught out with this from time to time, expecting something to be a laugh a minute comedy, when it isnt (Little miss sunshine and Burn after reading spring to mind here), so its no wonder so many people have a different notion of what Watchmen is all about!

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
There were some people at work who thought from the appearances of Nite Owl in the trailers that it was Batman related.

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
And to be honest, there were definite Batman rip offs within the movie, such as the bit when he drops from Archie onto the ground.
Nobody can say they were not going for bat imagery there!

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Snyder admitted that some of the visuals were a "homage" to the 1990s bat-flicks, most notably the designs of the Nite Owl and Ozymandias costumes.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Nöwheremän
I was talking to some women at work the day it came out, just after I had been to see it, and several of them said they really wanted to see it.
I pointed out that it wasnt actually a superhero film, and explained how bloody it was in places, without spoiling things.

One said that she knew it wasnt a superhero film (which she probably didnt, but she never likes it when I tell her she might be wrong about something), and the others all said "Not so sure I want to see it now!".

The trailers really do sell it as another hero flick, which is typical of movie advertising anyway, to sell a film that you think might not be that big, as something else.
We all get caught out with this from time to time, expecting something to be a laugh a minute comedy, when it isnt (Little miss sunshine and Burn after reading spring to mind here), so its no wonder so many people have a different notion of what Watchmen is all about!

My fiancee who doesn't really like superhero films, actuallty liked Watchmen.

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
The attempted rape scene reminded her of your first date?

Inglourious Basterd!!!
15000+ posts
Inglourious Basterd!!!
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: the G-man of Zur-En-Arrh
I have mixed feelings. I enjoyed the movie and would see it again. However, as mentioned above, I was afraid that, if it was a big hit, it would just inspire shitty sequels and reinforce WB's earlier thought that now every comic book movie had to be dark and gritty.

How do you pull off a sequel to Watchmen?

Uschi said:
I won't rape you, I'll just fuck you 'till it hurts and then not stop and you'll cry.

MisterJLA: RACKS so hard, he called Jim Rome "Chris Everett." In Him, all porn is possible. He is far above mentions in so-called "blogs." RACK him, lest ye be lost!

"I can't even brush my teeth without gagging!" - Tommy Tantillo: Wank & Cry, heckpuppy, and general laughingstock

[Linked Image from i6.photobucket.com]
Page 13 of 17 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Link Copied to Clipboard