Print Thread
Page 12 of 17 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 16 17
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Sen. Kerry backs changing Constitution to deal with Supreme Court decision
  • Sen. John Kerry (D-Mass.) on Tuesday said he’d support the uphill battle to amend the Constitution to gut the impact of a Supreme Court decision lifting restrictions on corporate campaign spending.

“I think we need a constitutional amendment to make it clear, once and for all, that corporations do not have the same free-speech rights as individuals,” Kerry said during a Senate Rules Committee hearing.

The constitutional change would require the support of two-thirds of the House and Senate and three-fourths of the states to ratify it, a serious challenge, particularly since many Republicans support the Supreme Court’s 5-4 decision in the Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission ruling.

Sen. Arlen Specter (D-Pa.) is the only other senator so far to back the idea of a constitutional amendment.

In the House, Rep. Donna Edwards (D-Md.) and Judiciary Committee Chairman John Conyers Jr. (D-Mich.) introduced language Tuesday amending the Constitution to allow Congress to regulate corporate spending in politics.

The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: the G-man
“I think we need a constitutional amendment to make it clear, once and for all, that corporations do not have the same free-speech rights as individuals,” Kerry said during a Senate Rules Committee hearing.

Holy motherfucking fuck.

What the fuck is wrong with this fucking moron?

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Disinvited: Former Marine kicked off an Air Force guest list for voicing opposition to gays in the military.

Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Pariah

Holy motherfucking fuck.

What the fuck is wrong with this fucking moron?

Actually, I'm kinda with Lurch on this one with a small caveat. I don't mind restricting a businesses free speech so long as we extend it to not recognizing corporations as people. Meaning, we don't tax them and we let them spend, build, and hire.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
American Spectator:
  • The news on healthcare reform this week is that right off the bat, the major corporations are discovering they will be losing stunning amounts to taxes as a result of Obamacare.

Caterpillar, the first to speak out, reported it will take a one-time write-down of $100 million in order to account for the elimination of a federal tax refund it has been receiving for providing drug benefits to its retired employees. In the following days, AT&T, Verizon, 3M, Deer & Co., and AK Steel Holdings announced they would take similar write downs. AT&T's new tax bill will come to over $1 billion. The news is a body blow to major companies hoping to recover profitability and add jobs.

If all this sounds familiar, it should. It is exactly what Republicans predicted would happen if Obamacare became law.

All this, however, was too much for Henry Waxman, chairman of the House Energy and Commerce Committee. He demanded that CEOs from the major companies appear before him on April 21 to explain just what's going on. "These assertions appear to conflict with independent analyses," said the chairman, "which show that the new law will expand coverage and bring down costs."

There's a simple reason for that. Congressmen don't go to jail for intentionally disseminating bogus financial statements. Corporate CEOs do. These companies are all legally obligated to report these charges right now.

More to the point, however, take note of the chilling effect on free speech here. These CEOs have done nothing more than offer a prediction, or opinion if you will, on the probable outcome of this legislation. In this case, the opinion runs counter to the opinion shared by the current congressional majority of congress.

As a result of a difference in opinion from the party in power, private citizens are now being hauled before a government body to give testimony under penalty of perjury to defend their opinion.

The intent is clear. Question your leaders at your own peril.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Obama Calling 'Information' a Threat? President Obama used a commencement speech over the weekend to bemoan the onslaught of information in the digital age and suggest that the gusher of news out there is too much of a good thing.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Was there anything you dissagree with Obama there G-man? It doesn't seem like he's saying anything to wild when it comes to news.

Quote:
The class of 2010 is "coming of age in a 24/7 media environment that bombards us with all kinds of content and exposes us to all kinds of arguments, some of which don't always rank that high on the truth meter," the president said, earning an honorary doctorate of laws degree during the ceremony.

"And with iPods and iPads; and Xboxes and PlayStations -- none of which I know how to work -- (laughter) -- information becomes a distraction, a diversion, a form of entertainment, rather than a tool of empowerment, rather than the means of emancipation. So all of this is not only putting pressure on you; it's putting new pressure on our country and on our democracy," he said.

It's just been a matter of course that news has been trending towards more sensationalism. Stuff that would have been at best tabloid news is now regular news. It's not censorship to talk about it btw.

Fair play!
Scorned as the one who ran
300+ posts
300+ posts
You really think it's okay for the President to say information is a diversion, and the availability of it puts too much pressure on his agenda?

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Matter-eater Man
Was there anything you dissagree with Obama there G-man? It doesn't seem like he's saying anything to wild when it comes to news.

The whole theory of free speech is to have, as general rule, as much of it as possible.

I'm no expert on X-boxes and Play Stations but it seems to me that they aren't even used to convey "information" except in the sort of raw form than any game or toy does. So why bring them up as a form of "information"?

The President then singles out iPods and iPads, both of which are used to distribute and convey information. The iPod can be used to listen to music or podcasts or to watch television or movies. The iPad is, of course, a tablet computer that can be used to surf the net, read books, etc.

Sure, they can be used to convey "entertainment." But they can also be used to convey "serious" ideas. Why would Obama complain about their existence, then?

Obama had no problem using the web and other non-traditional campaign methods when he was running. Similarly, he's the guy who insisted on having a blackberry even when there were security concerns.

But, now, that he's in charge, suddenly these new fangled ways to make information more accessible (and harder for the government or old media to control) are bad?

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Arthur Digby Sellers
You really think it's okay for the President to say information is a diversion, and the availability of it puts too much pressure on his agenda?

He didn't say that it put too much pressure on his agenda.

Fair play!
300+ posts
300+ posts
Context is not a strong point with you.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
To MEM, the only important context is whether the politician has a "D" or "R" after his or her name.

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Pot, meet kettle.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Context is not a strong point with you.

Nope I got the context just fine. You exagerated what he said.

Fair play!
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Mem, context does not mean ignoring things you don't like.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
I agree with that.

Fair play!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Yes, but you had to ignore rex's actual point to do so

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Matter-eater Man
I agree with that.

Do you understand that words have meaning? There are specific definitions for every word in the English language.

http://www.dictionary.com is your friend. Learn to use it.

Sikkbones
1500+ posts
Sikkbones
1500+ posts
Oh how I love how everyone voted for Obama and yet they are still in the same shit they were 8 years ago. and they are all bitching, moaning, or groaning because THEY aren't being given their nice excessive lifestyles that so many of my countrymen have fallen prey to.
It's a shame how a lot of Generation X turned out to be like their parents, the Baby-Boomers, just as whiny, greedy, narcissistic(sp?), and 'GIMME THAT, IT'S MINE" filled. Oh well, people get what they deserve.

http://www.finalstage.ca
http:www.459.betrayer.ca
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
If anyone is an expert on bitching and moaning it would be you.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Yes, but you had to ignore rex's actual point to do so

I agree with the principle about context. What is Rex's actual point beyond his usual MEM one?

Fair play!
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
My point is that you have no concept of what words mean.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
 Quote:
The class of 2010 is "coming of age in a 24/7 media environment that bombards us with all kinds of content and exposes us to all kinds of arguments, some of which don't always rank that high on the truth meter," the president said, earning an honorary doctorate of laws degree during the ceremony.

"And with iPods and iPads; and Xboxes and PlayStations -- none of which I know how to work -- (laughter) -- information becomes a distraction, a diversion, a form of entertainment, rather than a tool of empowerment, rather than the means of emancipation. So all of this is not only putting pressure on you; it's putting new pressure on our country and on our democracy," he said.

Words do matter and have context. Obama's words here talk about "new pressure" but he doesn't imply that it's too much.

Fair play!
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
and mem proves once again that at least metaphorically, it doesn't take anything particularly sharp to split hairs.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Obama vs. the iPad:
There’s a reason why the president thinks information is “a distraction.”
  • Obama’s disdain for new media has become so consistent that it is hard to dismiss as mere posturing. This is all the more ironic because Obama’s political movement supposedly mastered the new art of communication. During the 2008 campaign, the Obamistas let the world know they were cool by, among other things, speaking digital as a first language.

By contrast, since taking office, Obama has sounded downright nostalgic about the old newspaper era, all the while warning that the new communication revolution is producing more information than people can digest.

Confused? You shouldn’t be.

now that he has to govern, President Obama would just as soon dispense with all those niggling critics carping about his policies. It was better in the days when three liberals — say Cronkite, Reasoner, and Brinkley — had a monopoly over deciding what the news was every day, and synthesized it every night on TV. Then they let the New York Times echo those views the next morning. Those were the days.

it’s beginning to dawn on this White House that the Internet is not its friend and, in fact, that the web stands for the opposite of what has emerged as the Obama administration’s animating spirit. The Internet is centrifugal, dispersing power outward; the Obama administration is centripetal, concentrating power at the center. Google is moved hither and thither through choices made by millions; Wikipedia relies upon the wisdom of crowds. In the blogosphere, everyone can have an opinion, and every opinion has a chance to be considered — and perhaps to prevail — in the online marketplace of ideas.

The Obama administration, conversely, prides itself on offering top-down governance by the best and the brightest — not realizing that, as most Americans see it, that type of thinking creates a self-selected elite prone to hubris and atrocious error. In a mere 15 months, the Obama administration has concentrated in Washington control over important parts of industries as important and diverse as automobiles, banking, and health care. It wants to do the same with energy.

Given these two opposing forces — the centripetal, governing one and the centrifugal, technological one — a collision was inevitable. It has happened so early in Obama’s first term because his administration has been in such a rush. Its single-minded will to bring all this power to Washington quickly cannot countenance debate and criticism, which are the mother’s milk of the Internet.

What the Obama administration will do about all this is another question. The FCC recently announced that it will ignore its own previous determination — and a court ruling — and proceed to regulate broadband communications.

Sikkbones
1500+ posts
Sikkbones
1500+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Black Machismo
Oh how I love how everyone voted for Obama and yet they are still in the same shit they were 8 years ago. and they are all bitching, moaning, or groaning because THEY aren't being given their nice excessive lifestyles that so many of my countrymen have fallen prey to.
It's a shame how a lot of Generation X turned out to be like their parents, the Baby-Boomers, just as whiny, greedy, narcissistic(sp?), and 'GIMME THAT, IT'S MINE" filled. Oh well, people get what they deserve.

what No link please Joe?

and i think i stumped Nowie on this one... eithwer that or i had an original thought in my head....

Yeah i know... not possible.

http://www.finalstage.ca
http:www.459.betrayer.ca
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Have you met PCgay? I think you two would make a great couple.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Obama Calling 'Information' a Threat? President Obama used a commencement speech over the weekend to bemoan the onslaught of information in the digital age and suggest that the gusher of news out there is too much of a good thing.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
You've really twisted what Obama said G-man.

Fair play!
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
We should give obama a break. He's to busy raising money for the flood victims in Tennessee to do anything else.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
  • Obama's Defiant Contempt of Reporters Who Inquire About His Broken Campaign Promises
    by David Limbaugh
    Posted: May 18, 2010

You surely know the drill by heart: Barack Obama promised to run the most transparent White House in history – avoiding lobbyists, publicizing donations and televising health-care debates on C-Span.
    You also certainly know that he's broken his pledge in every possible respect. But what's even more offensive to me is his arrogance and defiance in the process.

Exhibit A –-and this was so egregious it's the only proof you should need-– was press secretary Robert Gibbs' recent exchange with WorldNetDaily correspondent Les Kinsolving at a White House briefing... an arrogant, youngish smart aleck in a position of power taunting and ridiculing an elder member of the press corps, who was respectfully questioning him about Obama's striking inaccessibility.

You simply can't get the full flavor of Gibbs' despicably supercilious, insulting and disrespectful attitude without watching it.

Kinsolving asked Gibbs why President Obama has "held not a single White House press conference since last July," considering "President Franklin Roosevelt's 998 press conferences."

Gibbs retorted that Obama took eight questions from the White House press corps at the Nuclear Security Summit. "What would you call that?"

Unbowed, Kinsolving said: "That was not a press conference. It was a select few reporters. It was not a White House press conference."

Gibbs then argued with Kinsolving about what constitutes a press conference, and the discussion quickly degenerated into Gibbs' sarcastic Socratic drilling of Kinsolving about how many press members, "38 or 55," is the right number.

Can anyone imagine the indignation if a Republican president treated a member of the media with such contempt and derision?

But it's not just Gibbs' mistreatment of Kinsolving that is significant here. It's that this White House believes it can a) promise unprecedented transparency; b) flagrantly breach the promise; c) avoid accountability for the breach; and d) even ridicule those who dare to inquire about it.

Also note the double avoidance of accountability. Obama refuses to be open about his agenda through routine press conferences and also refuses to be open about his refusal to be open.

His arrogance in defying accountability is only exceeded by his arrogance in defying the public's will in the first place by pressing forward with items of his agenda they've begged him – in essence – not to pursue.

But this is how radicals operate. In their relativistic world, their end of advancing a radical agenda justifies any means, including making and breaking promises of accountability to the electorate and then mocking media representatives who dare to question them about it.

But Obama doesn't just owe the public answers about being AWOL on White House press conferences. We deserve answers on his broken promises concerning [vowing not to hire] lobbyists; [on breaking his promise to] televise the health-care debates; [regarding breaking his promise to] post bills on his website 72 hours before a vote; [regarding] his surreptitious packaging of unpopular provisions in larger pieces of legislation to avoid public scrutiny, such as his reversal of the highly successful welfare reform; [regarding his] his establishment of a medical bureaucratic board (which some have referred to as a "death panel") as part of his "stimulus" bill; and [regarding] his government takeover of student loans with Obamacare.

And how about his staged town-hall meetings, where he took questions only from planted supporters; his phony assertions of executive privilege; his punitive firing of AIG watchdog Gerald Walpin for investigating his friend; a bizarre lack of accessibility on stimulus fund data; and his Justice Department's dismissal of a case already won against New Black Panther Party members for voter intimidation and then stonewalling both the Commission on Civil Rights and a Freedom of Information Act request by the Washington Times seeking reasons for the arbitrary dismissal?

Or his abundant denials of other [Freedom Of Information Act] requests; his Federal Communications Commission's shielding of diversity czar Mark Lloyd from media questions about his past statements on FCC policy; his withholding of documents requested by Republicans from private meetings between the White House and medical providers; his withholding of data from the Cash for Clunkers program; his shielding from public view information on the expenditure of unions' dues; his failed effort to exclude Fox News interview access to his pay czar, Kenneth Feinberg; and his "secret slush fund ... for taxes and spending on climate change hidden inside the administration's 2011 budget," as reported by Fox News?

-------------------------------

David Limbaugh is a writer, author and attorney. His book Bankrupt: The Intellectual and Moral Bankruptcy of Today's Democratic Party (Regnery) was recently released in paperback. To find out more about David Limbaugh, please visit his website, http://www.davidlimbaugh.com. And to read features by other Creators Syndicate writers and cartoonists, visit the Creators Syndicate website.

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Yes, the far right christian site that makes up news stories so people like you go to their site.

300+ posts
300+ posts
Obama's Supreme Court Nominee Supported Book Bans

Quote:
In an interview on NBC's "Meet the Press," Minority Leader Sen. Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) pointed to the argument Kagan's office made before the Supreme Court in Citizens United vs. FEC, a controversial campaign finance case.

"Solicitor Kagan's office in the initial hearing argued that it would be OK to ban books," McConnell said. "And then when there was a rehearing Solicitor Kagan herself in her first Supreme Court argument suggested that it might be OK to ban pamphlets.

"I think that's very troubling, and this whole area of her view of the First Amendment and political speech is something that ought to be explored by the Judiciary Committee and by the full Senate," McConnell said.

In the case in question, Chief Justice John Roberts asked the government lawyer whether the law in question could also prevent the publication of a campaign-related book, if it was paid for by a corporation or labor union.

“If it's a 500-page book, and at the end it says, 'and so vote for x,' the government could ban that?” Roberts asked.

Kagan's deputy, Malcolm L. Stewart, said yes.

"We could prohibit the publication of that book," he responded.

In a later oral argument, Kagan slightly modified that position, but still found herself arguing that the government could ban certain pamphlets, depending on who paid for their publication.

"And if you say that you are not going to apply it to a book, what about a pamphlet?" Roberts asked.

“A pamphlet would be different. A pamphlet is pretty classic electioneering, so there is no attempt to say that [law] only applies to video and not to print," Kagan responded.

Shortly after McConnell's comments, his office highlighted the case in an e-mail to reporters, suggesting famous pamphlets like Thomas Paine's "Common Sense" and the Federalist Papers could be banned under Kagan's logic.

300+ posts
300+ posts
It's a scary path this country is going down. This is the first time I can remember a since the days of the Communism scare that a party in power has fought so hard to ban opposition speech.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Arthur Digby Sellersp
Communism

That sums it up right there

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
palin did it first!

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
It's a scary path this country is going down. This is the first time I can remember a since the days of the Communism scare that a party in power has fought so hard to ban opposition speech.

What's amazing is that Obama and his staff find it impossible to identify true islamic terrorists as terrorists.

The only people who Obama wants to identify as terrorists are Tea Party members and other "right wing" conservatives.

As Glenn Beck pointed out, Obama's reluctance to even identify muslim terrorists as terrorists, makes it clear that Obama's desire to suspend Miranda rights of terrorists "in a crisis situation" are more likely to be used on patriotic dissenting conservatives than on muslim terrorists.

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
\:lol\: glen beck \:lol\:

Page 12 of 17 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 16 17

Link Copied to Clipboard