Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 82 of 137 1 2 80 81 82 83 84 136 137
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
They are colors.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
The Once, and Future Cunt
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: thedoctor
They are colors.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Black is my favorite color and I wont let you or Doctor Lumis take that away from me.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Gaiman. Nice! Let's see if he "gets" Doctor Who...

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
if you know what I mean

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
IN THE ASS!

Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Hey Jaburg, they're bringing back Jo Grant for an episode of the Sarah-Jane show. Enjoy... ;\)

brother from another mother
15000+ posts
brother from another mother
15000+ posts
John Barrowman is in Dumbshit Housewives for three episodes. Decide how bad you need your Captain Jack fix.

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
hmmm, wasnt overly impressed with tonights episode.
still cant see much difference between Smith and Tennant, but Gillan is by far the best companion so far.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I don't think people were ready for David to leave. So they hired somebody just like him.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
I liked the episode. Not great, but still good. More development of the characters than about the villain. I still don't see Smith as being just like Tennant. He's no more like Tennant than Tennant was Eccleston or Eccleston was Baker/McCoy/whoever. Some similarities, yes. But overall, I see Smith as being more reserved and less over the top and gnashing of teeth than Tennant was. He's more like Troughton, I'd say.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Exactly. It's bizarre how anyone could see them being all that alike. Everything about Smith is different. Hell, tonight's episode alone was pointing out, more than obviously, how flawed his incarnation is versus "Perfect Ten". Tennant's Doc rarely ever got anything wrong, while Smith walked them into the angel's nest.

And this current episode? Fucking awesome! Best Moffat episode ever.

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
And I cant understand how anyone one can see him as totally different.
Eccleston and Tennant were polar opposites, Tennant and Smith are almost identical in the mannerisms, with only a few differences.

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Oh and just one point about the episode that I thought was incredibly weak was the whole thing with all the statues being angels.
Firstly, it was so obvious that was gonna happen the minute they continued that needle/haystack thing.
And secondly, why the hell it took them so long to work out they only had one head is beyond me. As soon as The Doctor mentioned the two heads are better than one line, I said "Well why have all the angels got one head then? Work it out."

The set up was way too obvious.
Pretty poor writing in my opinion.
Just as the obvious thing to do with the tv screen wasnt to turn it off when the video glitched, the obvious thing to do, would have been to smash the fucking screen.

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
that was a great episode. the right sense of forboding tension and good character moments.

Bow ties are coool.
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Nöwheremän

And secondly, why the hell it took them so long to work out they only had one head is beyond me. As soon as The Doctor mentioned the two heads are better than one line, I said "Well why have all the angels got one head then? Work it out."

the Doctor mentioned a "low level perception filter."
work it out.

Bow ties are coool.
Headliner
200+ posts
Headliner
200+ posts
What do you call three Doctor Who fans debating the merits of the TV series? You don't! Nobody does. That's why they sit at home on Saturday night's crying into their pillow cases!

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man

the Doctor mentioned a "low level perception filter."
work it out.

Pretty pathetic really.
Why give something away so early?
Once they 'revealed' it, then all the suspense was gone.

1. You do not talk about snarf.
7500+ posts
7500+ posts
 Originally Posted By: ROY BATTY
Another feeling I got from this whole episode is that it was geared for the US market, with a totally unrealistic view of the UK!

How so?

Village Greens, lots of white people - all speaking perfect English.

It didn't take anything away from the overall episode but the BBC is so PC, I was so surprised not to see any darkies, or idiotic white cunts speaking with a dumbass west indian/Jamaican accent.

Me No Rikey Rob, he's a banana queer!

I shit on Hogan!
7500+ posts
7500+ posts
It's great to have Doctor Who back!

It's great to have something to look forward to watching on the TV!

This series has got gradually better, although Smith and the girl have been great from day one!

If I had to draw comparrisons between Doctors, I would say Smith is closer to Eccleston, than he is to cuntface tennant.

God I fucking hated tennant as the Doctor.

Prommy said it to me best, Eccleston and Smith are the Doctor, cuntbrain is just some jobbing actor, trying to act(not a direct quote).

Prom also posted something about how fallible this Doctor is, which harkens back to past Doctors and one of the many reasons I am ecstatic that Tennant is gone. It seems to a bit of a theme, River flies the Tardis better than he does and he was pretty quick to try and lobotomise the Space Whale in the second episode.

Which leads me to Pond, I don't feel as offended seeing her outsmart the Doctor or enemy, as I did when Rose would do the same thing.

With all it's faults mentioned, I still enjoyed the England space station.

I loved the concept of the third episode - I didn't even recognise Ian McNiece, he's gotten so fat and old. I liked how the new Daleks destroyed the old inferior models and that they didn't scream or complain about it. Having never really found the Daleks a threat, I must say the revamped Who has changed my opinion of them.

I fucking loved the latest episode! Exciting beginning with the River escape. Weeping Angels remind me of watching Who as a kid, very scary. Loved the 'Ring' scene. Best part for me, was the Angels killing the young soldier and talking to the Doctor through him - Creepy as hell and a superb bit of acting from Smith.

Nowhereman called it though with regards to the 2 heads - should have dropped that a bit, later on in the Story! My 7 year old nephew jumped on that straight away!

I shit on Hogan!
Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
It's great to have Doctor Who back!

It's great to have something to look forward to watching on the TV!

This series has got gradually better, although Smith and the girl have been great from day one!

If I had to draw comparrisons between Doctors, I would say Smith is closer to Eccleston, than he is to cuntface tennant.

God I fucking hated tennant as the Doctor.

Prommy said it to me best, Eccleston and Smith are the Doctor, cuntbrain is just some jobbing actor, trying to act(not a direct quote).

This man is correct on all points! Tennant played The Doctor, Eccleston was The Doctor. I think as time passed, Tennant's performance just became too "self-aware". You can chalk a lot of that up to RTD's lazy writing. And, no matter what he says, I don't believe RTD ever felt comfortable in publicly expressing love for Doctor Who. I think he left in a little "wink-wink, no I think this is all silly" in his scripts that just made it more and more obvious that he didn't take the show seriously. If this episode proves anything, it's that Moffat takes it seriously. It's real drama, real action, and real plot. A sense of serious storytelling with only the characters as "fantastical".

Also, just thinking about this new Doctor, I like how inaccessible he is. Tennant was so very domestic, thanks to Rose corrupting his ass. But, now he reminds me more of all Doctor's before Ten. He's not immediately forthcoming with intimacy.

"River, hug Amy."

"Why?"

"Because I'm busy..."

Quote:
Which leads me to Pond, I don't feel as offended seeing her outsmart the Doctor or enemy, as I did when Rose would do the same thing.

That's because Amy isn't so damn smug about it, unlike Rose. Amy is way more "Ace", if you get the context of my meaning. She's there for the adventure, and is tough enough not to always need The Doctor...

"I don't need you to die for me, Doctor. I'm not that clingy." \:lol\: Awesome.

Quote:
I fucking loved the latest episode! Exciting beginning with the River escape. Weeping Angels remind me of watching Who as a kid, very scary. Loved the 'Ring' scene. Best part for me, was the Angels killing the young soldier and talking to the Doctor through him - Creepy as hell and a superb bit of acting from Smith.

Agreed! That part chilled me, a bit. Damn good.

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Tennant did a good job in the role, he certainly cared about the character having been a fan since he was a kid. Unfortunately as RTD started to go batshit crazy that effected Tennant's portrayal since he had inferior scripts and production.
Eccleston to me was just a guy who didn't give a shit about Doctor Who and picked up the role as a laugh. He had the shortest (voluntary) tenure and never really had enough to time to make the role his own.

Bow ties are coool.
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Eccleston, I think, benefited from not being a Who fan and immersed in all the history. He really was the kind of guy that the reboot needed to start a fresh, new era. Tennant was good. I think, like Ray, that the RTD scripts just got bad. Even Tom Baker couldn't save every bad Who script he had to trudge through. Smith isn't like Tennant, no matter what the ginger poofter says. He has some 'Doctoresque' traits that run through many Doctors, but he's not really copying anyone, especially not Tennant. Also, has no one caught the crazy serendipity of the Doctor being played by a guy named Smith?

As for the two headed angels, or lack thereof, I'm kinda thinking it was on purpose. The audience hears the Doctor's line about two heads but can clearly see the statues only have one. Could it be Moffat wanted the audience to realize it before the Doctor and the red shirts? I see it much the same way as some slasher movies let you know where the killer is before the victim as it builds the tension as the victim draws closer to his/her doom. "Don't go in the basement! He's got an axe!"

7500+ posts
7500+ posts

As for the two headed angels, or lack thereof, I'm kinda thinking it was on purpose. The audience hears the Doctor's line about two heads but can clearly see the statues only have one. Could it be Moffat wanted the audience to realize it before the Doctor and the red shirts? I see it much the same way as some slasher movies let you know where the killer is before the victim as it builds the tension as the victim draws closer to his/her doom. "Don't go in the basement! He's got an axe!"

I was thinking something similar that Moffat was doing it for the kids - my nephew loved picking up on the fact that the statues only had one head!

I shit on Hogan!
7500+ posts
7500+ posts
going back to tennant the twat. I really had a problem with his acting, especially when he was angry or serious - I just wasn't convinced.

Eccleston was quite threatening when he was angry.

I shit on Hogan!
living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
going back to tennant the twat. I really had a problem with his acting, especially when he was angry or serious - I just wasn't convinced.

Eccleston was quite threatening when he was angry.

Eccleston gave you real emotion. You really felt like he was a bundle of raw nerves at times. Central to his version of The Doctor.

Never got that from Tennant. it's apples and oranges, though, really.

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Tennant's first two years were great, it was only post-Martha when RTD was more interested in melodrama and Catherine Tate that his performance suffered. As Doctor mentioned Tom Baker, most of season 18 is pretty bad. But Tennant did some great episodes and shouldn't be blamed for production failings. Even in the worst episodes he showed up and put energy into the role because he genuinely cared.

Eccleston not being a Who fan isn't a problem for me so much as the lack of comittment he had to the show. The Doctor is an established role like Bond or Batman, you win the part and then stick with it. Eccleston is George Lazenby, he can't be called good or bad because he shot his wad in one series. You can't say how he would've done 2-3 years in.

Smith is doing a great job. There are certainly touches of past Doctors but he's clearly making his own unique mark.

Bow ties are coool.
living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
gotta disagree. Tennant's first year was awful. he did get better, but he still never brought me into his characterization.

plus, RTD had melodrama all throughout the series. it was a constant first with Rose and then with Martha. it was overwhelming at times. RTD pretty much constantly beat you over the head with melodrama throughout the series. it was a big turnoff for me.

like I said. apples and oranges.

7500+ posts
7500+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man

Eccleston not being a Who fan isn't a problem for me so much as the lack of comittment he had to the show. The Doctor is an established role like Bond or Batman, you win the part and then stick with it. Eccleston is George Lazenby, he can't be called good or bad because he shot his wad in one series. You can't say how he would've done 2-3 years in.

Not a very good analogy - Lazenby/Eccleston! Lazenby was a model who did a 2 hour film, Eccleston is an established actor, who shone in 13 episodes!

Who here has said how well Eccleston would have done in 2-3 years in? I haven't.

Whilst I couldn't watch tennant at the time, I have since watched all of his adventures. Some of the stories were near perfect and would have been perfect if tennant wasn't the Doctor!

No way, can tennant be compared to Tom Baker in charisma - Baker had to walk through far more crappy adventures than tennant did but Baker was still interesting. For me, tennant was the downfall of his episodes!

You say season 18, don't you mean season 17 - that was a shitfest!

I shit on Hogan!
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Tennant = Good Doctor
Eccleston = Shit northern monkey

But I agree, the Lazenby analogy was bad.
Bad because OHMSS was one of the best Bond films, Ecclestons run was shite.

7500+ posts
7500+ posts
Eccleston = Superb Doctor
Tennant = Gay Cunt
Nowhereman = Ginger gay poof
ROY BATTY = Beautiful Bald Bastard

I shit on Hogan!
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Wrong on all accounts, you bald minge face.

7500+ posts
7500+ posts
Eccleston = Beautiful Bald Bastard
Tennant = Ginger gay poof
Nowhereman = Gay Cunt
ROY BATTY = Superb Doctor

I shit on Hogan!
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
ROY BATTY = Cats bum hole

7500+ posts
7500+ posts
let's you and me fuck, ya ginger black bastard!

I shit on Hogan!
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts

Not a very good analogy - Lazenby/Eccleston! Lazenby was a model who did a 2 hour film, Eccleston is an established actor, who shone in 13 episodes!

Who here has said how well Eccleston would have done in 2-3 years in? I haven't.

I never said anyone did say that. My point is that you can't say someone was good in a role that traditionally is played for several years. The role of the Doctor is a bit of a marathon. All the greats have been great for more than 13 episodes. Tom Baker isn't the best Doctor because season 12 was great, but because he maintained a level of quality for 7 years. I'm not saying Eccleston was bad, I enjoy his episodes quite a bit, but I never liked the fact that he so casually chose to take up a famous role and then cast it aside so quickly. It's kind of demeaning to the franchise and it's a waste of a regeneration. This may be an issue in 10 years when the Thirteenth Doctor wants to leave.
I don't really know Bond so my analogy was based on the limited portrayal time vs the number of movies other Bond actors did.

Quote:
Whilst I couldn't watch tennant at the time, I have since watched all of his adventures. Some of the stories were near perfect and would have been perfect if tennant wasn't the Doctor!

No way, can tennant be compared to Tom Baker in charisma - Baker had to walk through far more crappy adventures than tennant did but Baker was still interesting. For me, tennant was the downfall of his episodes!

Well that I guess comes down to personal preference. I liked his first two seasons. To me they just worked well. I found his high energy performance to be entertaining and since I'm a newcomer to the show he's the first current Doctor I watched.

Quote:
You say season 18, don't you mean season 17 - that was a shitfest!

Baker's last season. the only one I skimmed through. He looked old and tired (probably because he'd been told by the new producer to tune down the humor). The stories generally felt a bit too safe. Not scary, not funny, just safe boring sci-fi. Which I think is akin to the last two years of David Tennant. An actor given shit scripts can only do so much.

Bow ties are coool.
Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Eh, if McGann can do one movie and be the 8th Doctor, Eccles run of thirteen doesn't bother me. Do I wish he had stayed? God yes! But, given his appeal certainly wouldn't have been as widespread as Tennant (who had the added advantages of having the "right" accent, and being a tween heartthrob) who's to say Who would have become as popular as it is now? I guess, if anything, Season Two should have DEFINITELY been Eccleston. His story should have ended with Rose's, since she and Tennant sucked balls.

I really, really hope we see Eccleston again as The Doctor. He was so incredible in the part.

Meanwhile, I'm loving Matt Smith. He couldn't be more "The Doctor" if he tried...

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Tennant didnt have the "right" accent as it wasnt even his own accent.
It was called "acting".
And quite frankly, I dont understand what you mean by "right" accent anyway.

7500+ posts
7500+ posts
Ray-man young fella!

As Grimm said, appled and oranges.

We will never really know what the RTD/Eccleston deal was. I would say that they wanted a 'name' to restart the franchise because twat tennant was a nobody(and as far as I am concerned should have remained one).

As we have mentioned, Eccleston was not a Who fan, so didn't know or care about the long term. Irregardless, the way that gaylord RTD was about tennant, you know he had him earmarked for the part right from the start!

Eccleston did more in those 13 episodes than tennant did in his 40+!

And PLEASE, do you really think that there will be no more than 13 doctors? When that part of the Mythos was thought up, no one envisioned the series running so long!

But you really need to learn your classic Who! I have watched Tom Bakers 7 years, over and over and over again!

Season 17 is by far the weakest - don't believe me, then you should look up what other fans have said! It's weak because most of the budget for the season was put into 2 stories - one of which, would never air. SHADA! The rest of the season after the dodgy Dalek story(The Movelans would not seem out of place of RTDs tenure), were all studio based green screen craptaculars!

Season 18 does start off weakly with the first 2 adventures but Tombos new look is quite striking!

Tom and Lalla then go off to Espace for a trilogy that I love and loved since I was a kid. Like much of Who, the ideas are great but stories suffer from padding and forced cliff hangers. Full circle has a great twist, in State of decay we learn that vampires are a timelord enemy and in Warriors gate, the Doctor visits the Ghost Zone.

Then the final 2 stories, Keeper of Trakken and Logopolis - the re-introduction of the Master, introduction of the cloister bell and the joint best(with Peter Davisons)regeneration scene, amongst other things I am too lazy to go into!

The thing I feel about Tom Bakers tenure is that he had a very strong 3 and a half year run as the Doctor. Things weakened a little with the Sunmakers and then totally went gay with final story - The Invasion of Time! Padded out to buggery!

Season 16 was the Key to time, which I feel didn't work because they tried to tie everyting in, to what was a weak story to begin with!

Season 17 - budget hell.

Season 18 - things got better but I think that the production team did want Baker to go already but knew that fans didn't - but Tombo had decided to leave!

Ray, you just can not compare Tennant to Baker. A lot of Bakers stories were far worse than tennants but Baker still made them watchable. tennant made his good stories unwatchable!

But there is a comparrison to be made - Baker and tennant are hams. Hamming is not as easy as people think! It comes naturally for Baker and Blessed, it doesn't for tennant!

That is because tennant is a gay ginger scotch cunt.

I shit on Hogan!
7500+ posts
7500+ posts
Tennant didnt have the "right" accent as it wasnt even his own accent.
It was called "acting".
And quite frankly, I dont understand what you mean by "right" accent anyway.

I don't understand what prommy means about the accent either!

I, would have preferred tennant to speak with his natural jock accent, because what he used as the doctor, reminded me of a mix of Frank Spencer and Larry Grayson!

This makes it hard for me to explain to international fans why I hate tennant. because it is amongst MANY other things, his stupid fake fucking cunt accent!

I think if the US fans were actually English, you could hear what a fake he sounds - it's almost as bad as most of the young white population of the UK now speaking with their fake west indian slang!

CUNTS!

I shit on Hogan!
Page 82 of 137 1 2 80 81 82 83 84 136 137

Link Copied to Clipboard