Originally Posted By: ROY BATTY

Not a very good analogy - Lazenby/Eccleston! Lazenby was a model who did a 2 hour film, Eccleston is an established actor, who shone in 13 episodes!

Who here has said how well Eccleston would have done in 2-3 years in? I haven't.

I never said anyone did say that. My point is that you can't say someone was good in a role that traditionally is played for several years. The role of the Doctor is a bit of a marathon. All the greats have been great for more than 13 episodes. Tom Baker isn't the best Doctor because season 12 was great, but because he maintained a level of quality for 7 years. I'm not saying Eccleston was bad, I enjoy his episodes quite a bit, but I never liked the fact that he so casually chose to take up a famous role and then cast it aside so quickly. It's kind of demeaning to the franchise and it's a waste of a regeneration. This may be an issue in 10 years when the Thirteenth Doctor wants to leave.
I don't really know Bond so my analogy was based on the limited portrayal time vs the number of movies other Bond actors did.

Quote:
Whilst I couldn't watch tennant at the time, I have since watched all of his adventures. Some of the stories were near perfect and would have been perfect if tennant wasn't the Doctor!

No way, can tennant be compared to Tom Baker in charisma - Baker had to walk through far more crappy adventures than tennant did but Baker was still interesting. For me, tennant was the downfall of his episodes!

Well that I guess comes down to personal preference. I liked his first two seasons. To me they just worked well. I found his high energy performance to be entertaining and since I'm a newcomer to the show he's the first current Doctor I watched.

Quote:
You say season 18, don't you mean season 17 - that was a shitfest!

Baker's last season. the only one I skimmed through. He looked old and tired (probably because he'd been told by the new producer to tune down the humor). The stories generally felt a bit too safe. Not scary, not funny, just safe boring sci-fi. Which I think is akin to the last two years of David Tennant. An actor given shit scripts can only do so much.

Bow ties are coool.