Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 83 of 137 1 2 81 82 83 84 85 136 137
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: ROY BATTY
This makes it hard for me to explain to international fans why I hate tennant. because it is amongst MANY other things, his stupid fake fucking cunt accent!

I don't quite get why his accent is wrong, but I do understand what you're saying. It's a lot like when an actor uses a southern accent for a movie or TV show. I hear it and think, "Jesus, this mother fucker needs to travel a bit more before trying that."

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
But there is a comparrison to be made - Baker and tennant are hams. Hamming is not as easy as people think! It comes naturally for Baker and Blessed, it doesn't for tennant!

Just this weekend I was at a friends house who has been resistant to Doctor Who for years but has slowly started to come around due to me showing him the first Hartnell episode and the Eccleston's series. He instant watched The Pyramids of Mars from his Netflix account and loved it. He about laughed his ass off at Baker's hamming it up and is probably going to start queing up more classic who.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
1. You do not talk about snarf.
7500+ posts
7500+ posts
 Originally Posted By: thedoctor
This makes it hard for me to explain to international fans why I hate tennant. because it is amongst MANY other things, his stupid fake fucking cunt accent!

I don't quite get why his accent is wrong, but I do understand what you're saying. It's a lot like when an actor uses a southern accent for a movie or TV show. I hear it and think, "Jesus, this mother fucker needs to travel a bit more before trying that."

Thanks Doctor for deciphering my post - I'm not very articulate because I only ever post when I'm off my tits!

But that's exactly what I mean!

His accent isn't wrong, it's just obviously not his own and it really grates!

It's old hat to hate Americans doing british accents - I fucking hate brits doing American accents! Where the fuck are they getting it from?

Me No Rikey Rob, he's a banana queer!

I shit on Hogan!
7500+ posts
7500+ posts
But there is a comparrison to be made - Baker and tennant are hams. Hamming is not as easy as people think! It comes naturally for Baker and Blessed, it doesn't for tennant!

Just this weekend I was at a friends house who has been resistant to Doctor Who for years but has slowly started to come around due to me showing him the first Hartnell episode and the Eccleston's series. He instant watched The Pyramids of Mars from his Netflix account and loved it. He about laughed his ass off at Baker's hamming it up and is probably going to start queing up more classic who.

I really love hearing of new fans who can look past the shatty effects of the original Who!

I love Jon Pertwee as the Doctor but only Day of the Daleks holds up I feel!

Whereas Tom Baker, we have Pyramids, Robots of Death, Deadly Assassin, City of Death and Talons of Weng Chiang & Geneisis(though for new fans I thing they could have been 4 parters) that are still really enjoyable for new fans!

Your point about your friend enjoying watching Baker romp around is what I was trying to explain to Ray Man - my inability, not Ray mans lack of understanding!

Just watching Tombo was fun! I was five years old when I started watching Who, yet I didn;t have the foggiest what was going on, other than the tall, bug eyed, big teeth, curly haired weirdo travelling around in a box that was bigger on the inside!

Talking of Blessed, they've got him commentating on one of those crazy japanese stunt shows - I don't even watch the thing, I just listen!

ps. We have a comedy current affairs program that's been runningnigh on 20 years, the regular present left about 5 years ago after fucking some hooker! So they've had guest presenters ever since! The best ever...., A draw between Tom Baker and Brian Blessed!

I shit on Hogan!
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
It took him a while to get over the shitty effects, but I told him that they show up worse than other sci-fi like Trek because it was mostly video and not processed film. I also had to keep reminding him that no matter how much I love the classic Who, it was a kids show, which surprised him after watching Pyramids. It was Hartnell being the grumpy old man that got him interested as he didn't expect that (friends in college that were Who fans mostly ran on and on about Baker and Davidson).

Also, a lot of people say that the Douglas Adams era was the height of Tom's Who. Bullshit! Hinchcliffe/Holmes was the best of the best for Baker. Pyramids, Talons, Deadly Assassin, Robots of Death. Those are my favorites.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
I think I've posted this before, but this scene from Robots is my favorite Tom scene ever and best represents why his Doctor is so bad ass.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Nöwheremän
Tennant didnt have the "right" accent as it wasnt even his own accent.
It was called "acting".
And quite frankly, I dont understand what you mean by "right" accent anyway.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the "Northern"/Welsh accent considered akin to a Mississippi/southern accent here? If so....and that's the notion I've gotten from Brits on other boards...that would immediately put Eccles in a class-disadvantage in terms of broad popularity. Tennant (which I had forgotten he was faking it) is doing something close to a "Received Pronunciation", like C.Baker-to-Hartnell.

Of course, feel free to enlighten me here. I have genuinely believed that's why they gave the whole "Lots of planets have a north" line in Rose...

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Yes, you are wrong.
West country and Welsh, yes, but not northerners.
There isnt just one northern accent anyway.
Liverpool, Newcastle and Yorkshire for instance, are all markedly different.

The northern accent thing is more just a north/south rivalry, more akin to America/Canada.

The simple fact is, over here, an accent does not effect popularity.

The two most popular soap operas in this country are Eastenders and Coronation Street.
One is based in the south, the other in the north.
They are as equally popular in their own region and their 'rival' region.

Me calling Eccleston a northern monkey, is the general insult to anyone from 'oop nort', just as they would refer to anyone from 'darn sarf' as a soft southern poof.

It certainly does not effect popularity on tv.
Even Welsh people have success on tv, and they are all sheep shagging cunts.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts

Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Yes, you are wrong.
West country and Welsh, yes, but not northerners.
There isnt just one northern accent anyway.
Liverpool, Newcastle and Yorkshire for instance, are all markedly different.

The northern accent thing is more just a north/south rivalry, more akin to America/Canada.

The simple fact is, over here, an accent does not effect popularity.

The two most popular soap operas in this country are Eastenders and Coronation Street.
One is based in the south, the other in the north.
They are as equally popular in their own region and their 'rival' region.

Me calling Eccleston a northern monkey, is the general insult to anyone from 'oop nort', just as they would refer to anyone from 'darn sarf' as a soft southern poof.

It certainly does not effect popularity on tv.
Even Welsh people have success on tv, and they are all sheep shagging cunts.

OH! That is actually enlightening, CC. I honestly had no idea. I've been under the illusion of a swapped 'Yankees / Confederacy' relationship. Okay, then I retract my point about Tennant having the popular accent, and Eccleston having a less popular one. The rest? Still stands... ;\)

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Now shut up, you faggot.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Cunt bucket!

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Dont talk about ROY like that.

7500+ posts
7500+ posts
\:\(

I shit on Hogan!
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts

We will never really know what the RTD/Eccleston deal was. I would say that they wanted a 'name' to restart the franchise because twat tennant was a nobody(and as far as I am concerned should have remained one).

As we have mentioned, Eccleston was not a Who fan, so didn't know or care about the long term. Irregardless, the way that gaylord RTD was about tennant, you know he had him earmarked for the part right from the start!

That seems like a lot of speculation based on your opinions. Tennant did audition for the part of 9 but lost to Eccleston. Any sort of backroom deals/conspiracy is up to debate.

Quote:
Eccleston did more in those 13 episodes than tennant did in his 40+!

That's pure opinion. The reason why you can make that judgement is because Tennant gave 40+ episodes for you to review. I compare Eccleston to someone running the 100 meter dash versus Tennant doing a marathon. It's harder to maintain quality over the course of several series as opposed to one. I enjoy Eccleston's year as the Doctor but don't think it's enough to qualify him for ranking.
Fan or not Eccleston knew that he was taking on a legacy and he treated it somewhat frivilously. I really like his episodes, they were the first ones I watched and got me into the show. But still, commitment is important.

Quote:
And PLEASE, do you really think that there will be no more than 13 doctors? When that part of the Mythos was thought up, no one envisioned the series running so long!

I have no doubt there will be a Doctor past Thirteen. The problem is that once they did set that rule down it meant that they'd have to break it at some point. It'll be some kind of magic cheat, or lost time lord tech, either way it'll feel a bit forced.

Quote:
But you really need to learn your classic Who! I have watched Tom Bakers 7 years, over and over and over again!

Season 17 is by far the weakest - don't believe me, then you should look up what other fans have said! It's weak because most of the budget for the season was put into 2 stories - one of which, would never air. SHADA! The rest of the season after the dodgy Dalek story(The Movelans would not seem out of place of RTDs tenure), were all studio based green screen craptaculars!

Totally disagree. I love the humor of Adams scripts and the cute Romana II as probably the best companion ever.

Quote:
Season 18 does start off weakly with the first 2 adventures but Tombos new look is quite striking!

Tom and Lalla then go off to Espace for a trilogy that I love and loved since I was a kid. Like much of Who, the ideas are great but stories suffer from padding and forced cliff hangers. Full circle has a great twist, in State of decay we learn that vampires are a timelord enemy and in Warriors gate, the Doctor visits the Ghost Zone.

Then the final 2 stories, Keeper of Trakken and Logopolis - the re-introduction of the Master, introduction of the cloister bell and the joint best(with Peter Davisons)regeneration scene, amongst other things I am too lazy to go into!

I'm just not a fan of the producer and his edict that Baker tone down the humor. I found these episodes boring and Baker looked bored most of the time.

Quote:
The thing I feel about Tom Bakers tenure is that he had a very strong 3 and a half year run as the Doctor. Things weakened a little with the Sunmakers and then totally went gay with final story - The Invasion of Time! Padded out to buggery!

I think most of Baker's run was great. He sold the plots and made them work by being so damned funny and quirky. Even the episode with the giant rat in the sewer worked because Tom Baker is just that good.

Quote:
Season 16 was the Key to time, which I feel didn't work because they tried to tie everyting in, to what was a weak story to begin with!

Not a big fan of the season. I liked the idea but think Romana I was a little weak.

Quote:
Ray, you just can not compare Tennant to Baker. A lot of Bakers stories were far worse than tennants but Baker still made them watchable. tennant made his good stories unwatchable!

But I like Tennant for the most part. Even series 4 with Donna had it's moments. It goes to taste I guess, I just liked him. The problem for me was that after series 3 RTD just threw in melodrama with zero story to back it up. I don't care what he said about having a master plan from day 1, it was obvious that once the Master episode ended he was scraping bottom.

Quote:

That is because tennant is a gay ginger scotch cunt.

Tennant isn't ginger.

Each Doctor has their fans and haters. Personally I actually enjoy Colin baker's first season and could never sit through a single Davison episode. So there you go.

Bow ties are coool.
Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
...what's wrong with Peter?

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Its called personal choice.

I was never a fan of Peters either, and couldnt stomach McCoys version either.

7500+ posts
7500+ posts
Its called personal choice.

I was never a fan of Peters either, and couldnt stomach McCoys version either.

Bad Prommy!

Don't you know, you're not allowed to ask why people have certain views!

Hey, does anyone know how I feel about tennant as the Doctor?

I quite like Davison, to me, he was the last of the original Doctors! With poor old colly, they started to repeat themselves a little.

Col, really didnt get a fair shake with that costume and that debut story.

McCoys short stature and whimsicality in his first 2 seasons, made one think of the second Doctor but he did come to his own in the final season, something C.B, never got a chance to do!

I shit on Hogan!
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Thats not what he said at all.
He said what is wrong with him, not what do you not like about him, as if to suggest that Peter was someone he should automatically like.
And why the hell does he have to justify himself anyway?
If he isnt a fan, then he isnt a fan.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
He said what is wrong with him, not what do you not like about him,

That's pretty much what that phrase means. It's pretty informal, but that's what it means.

7500+ posts
7500+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man

That seems like a lot of speculation based on your opinions.

That's why I said "I Would say...."

Tennant did audition for the part of 9 but lost to Eccleston. Any sort of backroom deals/conspiracy is up to debate.

And you know this, how? Were you there?

Please don't believe everything you read - you might to take that piece of advice into the real world with you!

rtds story is always changing! In fact, The Eccleston season of Dr Who aired at the same time as cassanova. The way tennant was constantly quizzed about Who whilst promoting Cassanova(we didn't know yet that Eccleston was going to leave at the time), really got me thinking about something was going on behind the scenes. tennant was asked outright if he had gone up for the part - he said he had not. rtd has also said on television that as soon as he saw tennant, he wanted him for the doctor.

rtd has a sort of god complex, he believes he can change or revise history by writing it down.

That's pure opinion. The reason why you can make that judgement is because Tennant gave 40+ episodes for you to review. I compare Eccleston to someone running the 100 meter dash versus Tennant doing a marathon. It's harder to maintain quality over the course of several series as opposed to one. I enjoy Eccleston's year as the Doctor but don't think it's enough to qualify him for ranking.
Fan or not Eccleston knew that he was taking on a legacy and he treated it somewhat frivilously. I really like his episodes, they were the first ones I watched and got me into the show. But still, commitment is important.

I enjoyed watching Eccleston, I did not enjoy watching tennant. I could see 100 episodes of Eccleston and only one of tennant or vice versa, my opinion would be the same.

As I said, we will never know the true story. When they did announce Eccleston, I did wonder how long he would be able to commit - he did have a film career, whereas tennant had nothing.

I, of course would have loved Eccleston to have stayed on but I'm not going to blame him for doing only one season when I don't know the full story.

I have no doubt there will be a Doctor past Thirteen. The problem is that once they did set that rule down it meant that they'd have to break it at some point. It'll be some kind of magic cheat, or lost time lord tech, either way it'll feel a bit forced.

erm...., you have been watching Dr Who these last few years? Daleks, Ray Man! Daleks!

I'm just not a fan of the producer and his edict that Baker tone down the humor. I found these episodes boring and Baker looked bored most of the time.

You don't like JNT but you do like rtd?

You're right, Tombo does look tired. I like to think that it was a new direction - the fourth Doctor of the first 4 years was very different to the fourth Doctor in the Adams era. The JNT fourth Doctor could have been the withdrawn era - he did just lose his favourite companion/partner!

I think most of Baker's run was great. He sold the plots and made them work by being so damned funny and quirky. Even the episode with the giant rat in the sewer worked because Tom Baker is just that good.

You the rat in that story is the only weak point of one of the Fourth Doctors greatest adventures, Talons of Weng-Chiang!

Each Doctor has their fans and haters. Personally I actually enjoy Colin baker's first season and could never sit through a single Davison episode. So there you go.

I liked Colins first season, especially the Cyberman story but it was full of extreme highs & lows and a real wasted opportunity with the 2 doctors - that should have been a much better story. I felt Colin lost his edge and got quite fat for Trial of the timelord!

I shit on Hogan!
7500+ posts
7500+ posts
He said what is wrong with him, not what do you not like about him, as if to suggest that Peter was someone he should automatically like.

my beautiful little pedantic bastard!

I shit on Hogan!
7500+ posts
7500+ posts
Just got War Games and Trial of the timelord for £2.00 each - NEW!

I have to say, that these dvd releases, really have great extras!

I have been slowly, very slowly updating my Who on dvd.

I shit on Hogan!
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
You like boys.

7500+ posts
7500+ posts
But I love ginger men!

I shit on Hogan!
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
touch my bum

7500+ posts
7500+ posts
Cheeky cheeky!

I shit on Hogan!
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
you are the cheeky boy

Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts

Oh, pull the cock from your ass, Cunty. You know what I mean! If Ray doesn't like him, then there's a reason. What's yours?

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Cause I dont like him.

7500+ posts
7500+ posts
It took him a while to get over the shitty effects, but I told him that they show up worse than other sci-fi like Trek because it was mostly video and not processed film. I also had to keep reminding him that no matter how much I love the classic Who, it was a kids show, which surprised him after watching Pyramids. It was Hartnell being the grumpy old man that got him interested as he didn't expect that (friends in college that were Who fans mostly ran on and on about Baker and Davidson).

Also, a lot of people say that the Douglas Adams era was the height of Tom's Who. Bullshit! Hinchcliffe/Holmes was the best of the best for Baker. Pyramids, Talons, Deadly Assassin, Robots of Death. Those are my favorites.

I always say Tom Bakers first 3 and a half years/seasons are his best! But it's really his first 3 years/seasons!

Season 15 is hit and miss!

I don't understand why the Douglas Adams era get's so much praise either - he worked on the dull season 16 and cheap season 17! It really is a one hit wonder but what a hit City of Death was!

I shit on Hogan!
7500+ posts
7500+ posts
I think I've posted this before, but this scene from Robots is my favorite Tom scene ever and best represents why his Doctor is so bad ass.

That was one of the first VHS released in the UK!

It was in the early 80s and cost £50! In todays money, that's a few hundred dollars!

I shit on Hogan!
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Does anyone listen to the audio plays/books? From what I can gather Pertwee did a couple before he died and then there's been a regular series since the late 90's that alternates between 5,6, and 7.
But then there's also a whole series for 8? And I guess 10 as well? And I see new ones are coming out for 11? All this plus companion-based ones too?
Are any of them worth checking out? And where can I find them on torrent?

Bow ties are coool.
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts

I don't understand why the Douglas Adams era get's so much praise either - he worked on the dull season 16 and cheap season 17! It really is a one hit wonder but what a hit City of Death was!

I think for me season 17 plays so well because there was a good chemistry with Romana II and K-9. It just worked.

Bow ties are coool.
7500+ posts
7500+ posts

I think for me season 17 plays so well because there was a good chemistry with Romana II and K-9. It just worked.

I love Romana II!

I shit on Hogan!
7500+ posts
7500+ posts
Does anyone listen to the audio plays/books? From what I can gather Pertwee did a couple before he died and then there's been a regular series since the late 90's that alternates between 5,6, and 7.
But then there's also a whole series for 8? And I guess 10 as well? And I see new ones are coming out for 11? All this plus companion-based ones too?
Are any of them worth checking out? And where can I find them on torrent?

I find it difficult to sit still listening to them.

I have enjoyed the ones I listen to but there not the sort of thing where I could listen to the same story again very often!

I don't know if I posted this but they did release some stories with different actors playing alternative Doctors!

The one that most interested me was David Warner playing an alternative third Doctor!

I shit on Hogan!
7500+ posts
7500+ posts
Tonights episode was...., good!

Smith and girl were both great.

The series does feel like the original in respect of almost everyone dies!

Smith did a great bit of acting again with the death of the cleric.

Pond having to escape the weeping angels with her eyes closed was exciting.

Massive allusion of what the River character will do to the Doctor....

I just think that this would have been a superb 1 parter!

...., and the end, I must say Pond is very sexy when she is horny but I really don't like this sexing up of the Doctor! I don't mind the Doctor having a relationship with another timelord but a human.....

I shit on Hogan!
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
I like Smith, I like Gillan, but didnt like this episode.
It was a bit pants, and the angels were a shit bad guy.

The rip in time thingee seems to be the new Bad Wolf, so will be interesting to see what happens with that.

7500+ posts
7500+ posts

The rip in time thingee seems to be the new Bad Wolf, so will be interesting to see what happens with that.

I thought the same but hope it plays out different - I hope there's a curveball, I wouldn't like to seen another season devoted to the companion!

I really really like the weeping angels!

I shit on Hogan!
The Once, and Future Cunt
15000+ posts
The Once, and Future Cunt
15000+ posts
I like the lil fire muff.

While nothing in these past few episodes have really blown me away, I like these better than Tennant's first season.

My favorite part of these episodes was the cliffhanger.

It was classic.

Page 83 of 137 1 2 81 82 83 84 85 136 137

Link Copied to Clipboard