Originally Posted By: Grimm
 Originally Posted By: Prometheus
Agent Coulson has signed multi-movie deals, so he's considered part of the pack...

but why? what is his purpose? he's pretty much extraneous so far. unless there's going to be some sort of big reveal about him later on he's the Marvel equivalent of a redshirt.

Originally Posted By: rex
He's the guy they can get when Samuel L. Jackson is off doing other things.

Exactly. Did you miss a movie or something?

Originally Posted By: Grimm
The Avengers!

Captain America!

Thor!

Iron Man!

The Hulk!

Black Widow!

Hawkeye!

Nick Fury!

and. . .Agent Coulson?

he ain't working for me, and he's really not needed. like I said, unless there's some big reveal about him later on, he's useless.

Sure.....if they were saying he's part of The Avengers team. Depending on how they present the concept of The Avengers, he may be ground-support akin to Jarvis. He might be their slightly-nicer Henry Gyrich analogue. He might be crowd-control or their government liaison field-operative Or, he just might be the connective thread for a lot of the movies, freeing Sam Jackson up to appear in the meatier sections.

All in all, it's just a picture of the actors involved in the mammoth Avengers project, including Joss Whedon and Marvel Exec Kevin Feige. I don't think it really means anything except that they signed him for a multi-picture deal like the rest, and thus included him with the rest of the actors...

Originally Posted By: Son of Mxy
Also, he's supposed to represent Shield. Black Widow can't because she's a woman, and Nick Fury is black.

Also, that...