Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
rex Offline OP
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/05/31/flashpost-the-issue-one-renumbering-of-the-dc-universe/

Quote:
In September, all the DC Comics published set within the DC Universe will be renumbered with new issue ones.

Every comic continuing from September will be relaunched with a shiny #1. Every. Single. One. With no current plan for the renumbering to reverse to any so-called “legacy” numbering.

And with those issue one renumberings, will come a new rejigged status quo. And yes, characters will be changed. Some may no longer exist. There will be new books, new creators, new teams, new characters and new… new. With no current plan for the new status quo to be undone or reversed.
The current Flashpoint story running through the DC Universe and ending in August has rewritten the history of the DC Universe. How much of it, if any, will be reflected in the September titles?

“The first rule about FLASHPOINT is, don’t talk about what comes after Flashpoint” quotes Chief Creative Office of DC Geoff Johns. And I think we can take that literally. DC creators have been asked by their editors to sign rather restrictive NDA agreements to continue working on titles.

But Bleeding Cool hasn’t signed anything. More today on what this might mean for specific books. Some of it will be accurate. Some of it will be warped in the telling. And some of it will have changed…

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
I'm just sayin'
10000+ posts
I'm just sayin'
10000+ posts
hmmmm....If that's the case,you'd almost have to wonder what's the incentive to pick up any regular ongoing DC book until then.Also......there will be much bitching and gnashing of teeth and I do believe a fair amount of fans will walk away from DC and comics altogether.

It's a dog eat dog world & I'm wearing milkbone underwear.

I can get you a toe.

1,999,999+ points.

Damn you and your lemonade!!

Booooooooooooooobs.
rex Offline OP
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
There is a lot of news about this coming out still and nothing is saying it will be a full reboot but I'm assuming the last remaining issues before the reboot will have some sort of finality to them to keep people buying them. Maybe all the comics will come to some sort of logical ending?

rex Offline OP
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Its looking like this will be DC's "ultimate Universe" but without the original universe.

rex Offline OP
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
My favorite rumor going around is that DC lost their legal fight involving Superman and his new origin won't involve anything that they don't own anymore.

Before today some people were assuming that DC will lose all right to Superman by the end of this year and they were going to cut him out entirely.

Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: rex
With no current plan for the renumbering to reverse to any so-called “legacy” numbering.

Emphasis added.

Its looking like this will be DC's "ultimate Universe" but without the original universe.

But wasn't the whole point of 52, etc., that the multiverse still exists? Therefore, the "original" universe will still be there, just waiting for the next silver age fan wankster to come along.

I'm not reading any DC books now except for Vertigo and the occasional mini-series or graphic novel. This is unlikely to get me back.

Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
There is a lot of news about this coming out still and nothing is saying it will be a full reboot but I'm assuming the last remaining issues before the reboot will have some sort of finality to them to keep people buying them. Maybe all the comics will come to some sort of logical ending?

With all the talk about "The Dark," I hope that each series doesn't end with some silly fade to black a la the fade to white entropy wall that consumed the final pages of each series going into the conclusion of Zero Hour. I hope but, I wouldn't put it past them.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
USAToday article here. Looks like Superman and WW are getting new costumes.

Supes' looks pretty similar to that Wizard "Ultimate DC" design from 2003.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Prediction: Superman, Green Lantern and Wonder Woman will be rebooted to be more like, respectively, Snyder's film, Reynolds' movie and the aborted David E. Kelley TV pilot.

Batman still won't be rebooted to reflect the Nolanverse even though everybody on earth recognizes that as the best version of Batman since, at least Dini-Timm.

rex Offline OP
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
52 new ongoing series. Digital and paper comics same day release. Some white people might become non-white people.

rex Offline OP
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Some sites are claiming this will be a "full reboot" but how are comics like Justice League explained then? Don't they need to go through everyone's origin before they start forming teams?

I'm just sayin'
10000+ posts
I'm just sayin'
10000+ posts
If it wipes away the last oh.....10 years or so of "meh" Superman that I've read then I'm all for it.

It's a dog eat dog world & I'm wearing milkbone underwear.

I can get you a toe.

1,999,999+ points.

Damn you and your lemonade!!

Booooooooooooooobs.
rex Offline OP
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/05/31/flashpost-the-hooking-up-of-superman-and-wonder-woman/

Quote:
Flashpost: The Hooking Up Of Superman And Wonder Woman

Okay, out of all the post-Flashpoint stories I’m running, this is the one on the least firm foundations. But, if true, will have the biggest multi-media implications.

I’m told that Superman and Wonder Woman will be getting together.

In a very media friendly fashion, indeed.

Or at least it will be a plot point. A possibility. And why?

Because this may be as a result of DC Universe/Flashpoint merged continuity, with a non-married Superman and a non-married Lois Lane. Without a messy divorce, without a deal with the devil and without some kind of memory bomb. That aspect is on more firmer footing.

I’m not sure how it fits what I’ve seen of a rejuvenated Superman. But hey, would a Superman that young expect to be tied down? To Lois or to Wonder Woman? Not counting use of a Golden Lassoo…

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Some sites are claiming this will be a "full reboot" but how are comics like Justice League explained then? Don't they need to go through everyone's origin before they start forming teams?

The simplest way around that (and one that used to be used a lot in comics) would be to have each book start with the heroes already established and then flash back to the "new" origins.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
...a non-married Superman and a non-married Lois Lane. ...

This is actually the least surprising news of all, if true, especially with Snyder's movie (itself a reboot) coming out.

brother from another mother
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Has Superman even been with Lois? He lived on New Krypton for a while than after that he left home to walk around the country. I don't know how much time that took up in DCU time,but it seems like he's never home.

"My friends have always been the best of me." -Doctor Who

"Well,whenever I'm confused,I just check my underwear. It holds most answers to life's questions." Abe Simpson

I can tell by the position of the sun in the sky, that is time for us to go. Until next time, I am Lothar of the Hill People!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: allan1
hmmmm....If that's the case,you'd almost have to wonder what's the incentive to pick up any regular ongoing DC book until then.
Yep. Save some bucks than at least try the new stuff.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Lothar of The Hill People
Has Superman even been with Lois? He lived on New Krypton for a while than after that he left home to walk around the country. I don't know how much time that took up in DCU time,but it seems like he's never home.

The Superman-Lois marriage (unlike the Spidey-MJ marriage) has never really worked. I'm really surprised it hasn't been retconned before now.

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
it all sounds like positive changes to me. maybe a bit unnecessary, but... in this microcosmic view of the intraweb, alone, there's more comic book related discussion in the past few hours than there has been in a few months.

new costumes is good. reworked stories is good. a more media-pleasing relation to other sources (superman more like smallville, batman more like begins) is good. new numbering and a true "jump on point" is good.

question is, who is it "good" for - and the answer is more than likely "not you guys." but, quite frankly, its time for the industry to say "fuck you guys." the majority of us will follow along, anyway. but comics are a dying breed - any chance to legitimately attract new blood is a good thing, and i think all of the above does so.

i'm actually very much looking forward to the digital comics thing ...the thing that makes me not-white or something. i haven't purchased a printed comic book in sometime, but i've been buying them through iTunes on occasion - starting with the classics (dark knight returns, long halloween, etc.) and eventually snagging the whole blackest night saga. and with no messy under-the-bed boxes or ads for x-ray specs!

giant picture
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Damnit, does this mean the Superman-Barda hardcore fuckfest is going to be retconned out of existence before we get to see it?!

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
perhaps.

but if my theory is correct, DC is actually saying superman and barda will fuck you

giant picture
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
finally!

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Rob
it all sounds like positive changes to me. maybe a bit unnecessary, but... in this microcosmic view of the intraweb, alone, there's more comic book related discussion in the past few hours than there has been in a few months.

new costumes is good. reworked stories is good. a more media-pleasing relation to other sources (superman more like smallville, batman more like begins) is good. new numbering and a true "jump on point" is good.

question is, who is it "good" for - and the answer is more than likely "not you guys." but, quite frankly, its time for the industry to say "fuck you guys." the majority of us will follow along, anyway. but comics are a dying breed - any chance to legitimately attract new blood is a good thing, and i think all of the above does so.

i'm actually very much looking forward to the digital comics thing ...the thing that makes me not-white or something. i haven't purchased a printed comic book in sometime, but i've been buying them through iTunes on occasion - starting with the classics (dark knight returns, long halloween, etc.) and eventually snagging the whole blackest night saga. and with no messy under-the-bed boxes or ads for x-ray specs!

All of it means nothing if the price isn't right. As much as people bitch about comic nerd bitching, those same comic nerds are what have kept the print side of the business going. Until the business reverts back to the pre-speculator days of making comics on the cheap as a disposable, affordable media, they aren't going to be bringing in too many new readers. Only the nerds will pay $3+ for a funny book. You start pissing them off without attracting new readers, and you've fucked your business.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
kung-fu treachery
5000+ posts
kung-fu treachery
5000+ posts
 Quote:

And with those issue one renumberings, will come a new rejigged status quo. And yes, characters will be changed. Some may no longer exist. There will be new books, new creators, new teams, new characters and new… new. With no current plan for the new status quo to be undone or reversed.

Quote:
others from its 76-year history for a more modern and diverse 21st century.

Modern and diverse=Silver Age. Good to know!

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Based on that JLA image, I'd guess "modern and diverse" will mean hypIng b-list minority characters like Cyborg.

In terms of attracting new readers with a reboot, Ive got no problem with that. However, my suspicion is that DC won't fix the real problems: an over reliance on crossovers and events and overbearing attempts to homogenize the line for the sake of "branding", thereby stifling the creativity of most of the writers.

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: thedoctor
All of it means nothing if the price isn't right.

$3 feels like a lot for a book, i agree. but im not certain there's much of an argument about price when it comes to new fans. new fans aren't buying a dozen books every wednesday, so the difference between $1 and $3 isn't that great. and its the nerds who will pay $3/book that would also complain about the lackluster quality of a 99cent book. prometheus has already read them and hates them!

i think distribution is by far the more critical factor. and if DC continues to push the digital reach, as promised, well then we have a game. getting comics every wednesday on your iphone or android or tablet or PC is a fuckload more appealing than trying to find comic book guy's location (only to have the popular books already sold out).

theoretically, a larger digital distribution could also make the books more cost effective (no printing, no shipping, etc.) so its possible we'll see both problems resolved simultaneously.

giant picture
Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: the G-man
Based on that JLA image, I'd guess "modern and diverse" will mean hypIng b-list minority characters like Cyborg.

that's not a fair statement - cyborg is the only b-lister in that group, which otherwise contains superman, wonder woman, batman, GL, the flash, and aquaman. who is a more appropriate 7th? martian manhunter is no more a-list; perhaps even less so, with cyborg featuring so prominently on a number of recent toons / shows, with a much wider appeal than any book hero.

i also think most of the characters got a nice little visual "kick". ww's costume, though classic, was unarguably outdated, and this one steps it up without seeming too cliche. superman got a few tweaks here and there, including a revised symbol, bigger collar, and maybe no red undies. and it could be the image, but he also appears to be smallville-aged, early 20s. batman finally looks to be going the dark knight / arkham asylum route, etc.

In terms of attracting new readers with a reboot, Ive got no problem with that. However, my suspicion is that DC won't fix the real problems: an over reliance on crossovers and events and overbearing attempts to homogenize the line for the sake of "branding", thereby stifling the creativity of most of the writers.

crossovers are annoying, but i think we can all agree they're typically only done for sales purposes. if DC can bring in new readers with new distribution and new approachable characters / stories, that could fix itself.

giant picture
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
All of it means nothing if the price isn't right.

$3 feels like a lot for a book, i agree. but im not certain there's much of an argument about price when it comes to new fans. new fans aren't buying a dozen books every wednesday, so the difference between $1 and $3 isn't that great. and its the nerds who will pay $3/book that would also complain about the lackluster quality of a 99cent book. prometheus has already read them and hates them!

i think distribution is by far the more critical factor. and if DC continues to push the digital reach, as promised, well then we have a game. getting comics every wednesday on your iphone or android or tablet or PC is a fuckload more appealing than trying to find comic book guy's location (only to have the popular books already sold out).

theoretically, a larger digital distribution could also make the books more cost effective (no printing, no shipping, etc.) so its possible we'll see both problems resolved simultaneously.

I do agree that digital distribution should bring that price down without printing/shipping costs tacked on. On the other hand, I don't see anyone outside of the existing comic nerdom paying $3 or more for about thirty pages. Magazines offer hundreds of pages in that glossy print for just a few dollars more, and they're dying out as well. Yes, nerds may whine about lower print quality; but, just as you said about their bitching about the current changes, they'll still buy the books. More likely, they'd wind up buying more all the while bitching about it. The lower price point, as I was point out, is how you get newer, younger audiences. I can see a world where Vertigo was printing $3 books on glossy and selling in comic shop only for the more mature readers while, at the same time, kids are picking up 99 cent a pop newsprint comics out of convince store or supermarket checkouts. With uber tech nerds such as yourself and many here just downloading the latest issues from the web every week without ever having to get out into the sun.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts

that's not a fair statement - cyborg is the only b-lister in that group,

G-man just believes that Cyborg got in on Affirmative Action, that's why he's so pissed.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Based on that JLA image, I'd guess "modern and diverse" will mean hyping b-list minority characters like Cyborg.

that's not a fair statement - cyborg is the only b-lister in that group...

To clarify my point: In order to be more "diverse," DC has four choices: (a) create new minority characters from scratch; (b) replace existing heroes with minority characters in the same role (for example, what was attempted with Aqualad, the Atom and the Question); (c) retcon icons to be minorities; (d) hype the existing minority characters who are currently considered "b list."

Jeff thinks it might mean (b) or (c). I think it may mean (d). I base that on the fact that, instead of giving us a picture of the League with (for example) a John Stewart GL (argubly DC's most successful minority character due to JLU) or (for hypothetical example) a new, Asian, Aquaman we get Cyborg in the "Black Vulcan/Samarai/Apache Chief Superfriends slot."

Maybe I'll be wrong. However, very recent attempts at (b) didn't really succeed and the pic shows all of the icons as still be white so I don't except (c) [there's also the fact that DC would probably be hyping that more if if it were the case].

That leaves either creating new characters or hyping existing ones. Based on forty-plus years of comic book reading, my gut tells me that, between (a) and (d), (d) is more likely, especially in a world where most completely new characters tend to be creator-owned.

crossovers are annoying, but i think we can all agree they're typically only done for sales purposes. if DC can bring in new readers with new distribution and new approachable characters / stories, that could fix itself.

But the crossovers tend to appeal, not to the new reader, but to the fanboy market (which as you said is the market DC needs to stand up to make this work). And while those crossovers might gin up sales on some titles during the event, the overall sales of comic books continues to decline in the era of the crossover.

Oh, and I just bet that this "new" Cyborg won't sound black enough.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Oh, and I just bet that this "new" Cyborg won't sound black enough.

How black do you think he should sound?

the pic shows all of the icons as still be white

Oh...

Raccist!

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
I'll miss Secret Six and Batmorrison. Otherwise this is good.

I don't get most of the nerdrage, because most of the comics being published today have almost no relation to the ones from 15 years ago anyway, just like those had almost no relation to the ones that came out in 1980. They've been periodically rebooting these things since the 60's and they should keep doing it forever, even if doing so invalidates your erotic Nightwing fanfic.

How much are digital comics usually worth? Legal ones, I mean.

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
I do agree that digital distribution should bring that price down without printing/shipping costs tacked on. On the other hand, I don't see anyone outside of the existing comic nerdom paying $3 or more for about thirty pages. Magazines offer hundreds of pages in that glossy print for just a few dollars more, and they're dying out as well.

magazines offer more, but they're also bloated with ads. and their medium is dying because they can no longer sell the ads to keep up with their costs (to outpace the shrinking distribution because of the intrewebs ruling the earf).

$3 is only a 50% increase from where they were 20 years ago. i'd pay $3 for a morrison batman and robin, but not a brightest day issue, regardless of pages. i just don't think price is that large of a gamechanger, overall.

but i do agree the occasional cheap issue, or cheap title, could help pull in a different audience -- DC's 10 cent books (i believe that was bruce wayne fugitive kickoff?) sold a brazillion copies. hell, maybe all these new relaunches should feature a $1 first issue. a sampler platter! let audiences see the many varieties, then pay more for the ones that they like and want to stick with.

giant picture
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Quote:
but i do agree the occasional cheap issue, or cheap title, could help pull in a different audience -- DC's 10 cent books (i believe that was bruce wayne fugitive kickoff?) sold a brazillion copies.

Which led to a crossover/multi-issue arc and few, if any, new readers sticking around(getting back to my point about how the crossovers are the biggest problem).

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
To clarify my point: In order to be more "diverse," DC has four choices:

but the claim wasn't just for "diverse", it was to "modern[ize]". that's why i mentioned the core three; superman, batman, and wondie, all getting revised looks. also, "diverse" didn't just have to mean "make people different color", you rascist.

But the crossovers tend to appeal, not to the new reader, but to the fanboy market (which as you said is the market DC needs to stand up to make this work). And while those crossovers might gin up sales on some titles during the event, the overall sales of comic books continues to decline in the era of the crossover.

i don't disagree - the crossovers are spikes; an effort to bandaid the problem. my argument is that if DC is working on actually addressing the problem, they wont need the bandaids.

giant picture
Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
 Quote:
but i do agree the occasional cheap issue, or cheap title, could help pull in a different audience -- DC's 10 cent books (i believe that was bruce wayne fugitive kickoff?) sold a brazillion copies.

Which led to a crossover/multi-issue arc and few, if any, new readers sticking around(getting back to my point about how the crossovers are the biggest problem).

stop it. wait your turn.

giant picture
Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Im Not Mister Mxyzptlk
I don't get most of the nerdrage, because most of the comics being published today have almost no relation to the ones from 15 years ago anyway, just like those had almost no relation to the ones that came out in 1980.

yar. outside of renumbering, this is really no different than any of the previous reworks -- three of which just took place in the past 5 years or so. comics reinvent themselves by definition, almost as soon as a new writing team takes over. for all the gruff geoff johns gets, i actually like the way he takes all these cluttering past elements and streamlines them into something. maybe not something beautiful, or not always something well received -- but something.

How much are digital comics usually worth? Legal ones, I mean.

typically similarly priced to the printed books. 99, 1.99, and 2.99. i've seen some in marvel land for 3.99, but that is poo. the digital stores (through iTunes / Comixology) also do occasional sales, like making all GL books 99 cents on earth day (cuz it's green, get it?!).

they're JUST starting to drop books on the same day they're available in print, too. usually only one or two, but its so cool to see.

and now, they're also adding more legacy books to the available library - even beyond the DKR and year one collections from the 80s, you can now get the first 25 issues of the 1940s batman

giant picture
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
typically similarly priced to the printed books.

Hahaha. I was considering buying a lot of the upcoming #1s, but not if they're that expensive. This same-day revolution won't do much good if they don't drop those prices by at least half.

希望の戦士
2000+ posts
希望の戦士
2000+ posts
The only good reboot I can think of at the moment is to reboot the DC team into one that discontinues the annual/semi-annual reboots, period. Until then, I'm sticking to archives and back issues.

There is no version of this where you come out on top. Maybe your army comes, and maybe it’s too much for us, but it’s all on you. Because if we can’t protect the Earth, you can be damn well sure we’ll avenge it.

Hello?
Put Natasha on the phone.
Who is this?
This is her fucking son's father. Who is this?
This is her fucking son.
..........oh.......
Call back in 20 minutes. *click*

Boy, you could get lost in a sky like that. I wish I had those balloons again.

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
typically similarly priced to the printed books.

Hahaha. I was considering buying a lot of the upcoming #1s, but not if they're that expensive. This same-day revolution won't do much good if they don't drop those prices by at least half.

actually, i shouldn't have said that, because i don't really know what the printed books cost. i just assumed. here's some of this week's books and prices:

authority volume 2, #4 - 1.99
batman 13 - batman 25; 1.99
batman and robin 16 - 1.99
batman arkham city 2 - 0.99
brightest day 21 - 1.99
birds of prey 121 - 1.99
flash 12 - 1.99
gotham central - 1.99
preacher 50 - 2.99
super 8 #1 - free
superboy 74 - 1.99
tomorrow stories 10 - 0.99