Originally Posted By: the G-man
Based on that JLA image, I'd guess "modern and diverse" will mean hyping b-list minority characters like Cyborg.

Originally Posted By: Rob

that's not a fair statement - cyborg is the only b-lister in that group...

To clarify my point: In order to be more "diverse," DC has four choices: (a) create new minority characters from scratch; (b) replace existing heroes with minority characters in the same role (for example, what was attempted with Aqualad, the Atom and the Question); (c) retcon icons to be minorities; (d) hype the existing minority characters who are currently considered "b list."

Jeff thinks it might mean (b) or (c). I think it may mean (d). I base that on the fact that, instead of giving us a picture of the League with (for example) a John Stewart GL (argubly DC's most successful minority character due to JLU) or (for hypothetical example) a new, Asian, Aquaman we get Cyborg in the "Black Vulcan/Samarai/Apache Chief Superfriends slot."

Maybe I'll be wrong. However, very recent attempts at (b) didn't really succeed and the pic shows all of the icons as still be white so I don't except (c) [there's also the fact that DC would probably be hyping that more if if it were the case].

That leaves either creating new characters or hyping existing ones. Based on forty-plus years of comic book reading, my gut tells me that, between (a) and (d), (d) is more likely, especially in a world where most completely new characters tend to be creator-owned.

Originally Posted By: the G-man
In terms of attracting new readers with a reboot, Ive got no problem with that. However, my suspicion is that DC won't fix the real problems: an over reliance on crossovers and events and overbearing attempts to homogenize the line for the sake of "branding", thereby stifling the creativity of most of the writers.

Originally Posted By: Rob

crossovers are annoying, but i think we can all agree they're typically only done for sales purposes. if DC can bring in new readers with new distribution and new approachable characters / stories, that could fix itself.

But the crossovers tend to appeal, not to the new reader, but to the fanboy market (which as you said is the market DC needs to stand up to make this work). And while those crossovers might gin up sales on some titles during the event, the overall sales of comic books continues to decline in the era of the crossover.

Oh, and I just bet that this "new" Cyborg won't sound black enough.