In addition to Editorially managing Marvel, I liked the way Shooter personally jumped in to do the grunt work to improve a series when he felt it was slipping below standards.

Shooter actually pencilled a few issues of SPECTACULAR SPIDERMAN back in 1980-1981, before it picked up an exceptional writer/artist team in Mantlo/Hannigan/Milgrom in issues 59-72.

Before Shooter became editor in chief of Marvel, Shooter had an exceptional (I would argue definitive) run in AVENGERS issues 150-180, mostly with artists Byrne and Perez, with an occasional fill-in issue by others.

Then Michelinie had another exceptional run with Byrne in 181-191, then Michelinie/Perez had a good run too from 192-202, but declining in quality.

Shooter took over writing the series again and made it a very engaging book again from 203-220, despite some very mediocre art (Gene Colan, Bob Hall) on a number of those issues. Where Yellowjacket was wracked with professional jealously, abusing his wife, and otherwise cracking up. I also enjoyed a two-part story (AVENGERS 217-218) Shooter wrote focusing on Tigra, where she doubted her ability and worthiness as an Avenger.

Shooter, along with like-minded writers of his tenure like Roger Stern, Dave Michelinie, Bill Mantlo, and Claremont at his best, fully capture the Stan Lee-brand of quaintness and normalcy that Stan Lee introduced with Silver Age Marvel, where the heroes had flaws and self-doubt and everyday problems, that bred great ability to identify with Marvel's characters, as well as really fun and humorous quirks.

I liked the way Shooter looked for what he percieved as the weak links in Marvel's line, and personally intervened to improve them.
In several cases just listed and others, Shooter's personal contribution drew warranted attention to greatly improved series (AVENGERS and SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN).