Since my very first DC issue was the debut of Dick Grayson as Nightwing and the origin of Deathstroke the Terminator in the Tales of the Teen Titans #44 (Wolfman/Perez), I had no real knowledge or grasp how the Golden Age superheroes my grandfather collected fit into modern comic books, if at all. Then, the second DC book I picked up was Crisis on Infinite Earths #5 = Mind. Blown. Then, I saw a striking cover of a series that was ending: All-Star Squadron. It was the last issue, where Mechanique had been holding back the temporal changes from The Crisis (for some reason that I think was lost when Roy Thomas was forced to end the series due to the continuity changes). So, a group picture the All-Stars took in the middle of the book changed by the end of the book, to show that Superman, Wonder Woman, and Batman no longer existed in their era. And THAT was the last issue. Next was something called Young All-Stars. Needless to say, I immediately sought out back issues of All-Star Squadron (including the much-elusive-for-me-during-childhood special one-shot "Last Days of the Justice Society of America" where they go to Asgard) and continued to collect Young All-Stars for some time to come. I hope they killed Neptune Perkins at some point. What a gaywad. I was okay with the Native American/Canadian flying owl guy. And besides the trauma of losing TNT to something as random and simple as a car exploding (leaving "Dynamite" to join the group) I enjoyed most of the run. But, it was obvious that after All-Stars was pulled, Roy had to kind of force it. He never really got his stride back, though...