Quote:
that's the misinterpretation i hate from era pieces. like films that take place during rome's reign, when they show blank white, half-broken columns. or a sanitized 50s, where everyone is a neighbor in a giant sub-burb. grandpa metheus might be calmer and peaceful now and remember days backwhen that were noble, but in the actual time, he was smoking cigars, swearing, and punching polak's 70 years ago - just as much as grandma metheus was blowing folks. the ticker tape "we won" parade after WWII, where the sailor is kissing the chick in the famous pose, was looooousy with strippers and orgy fucking. it was like a direct path to clubs on 42nd street. it was not a "good job, son *handshake*" presentation, as its always portrayed.

rogers is not an 80 year old remembering back to the glory days. he's a 20-something year old (?) who just left it the day before. "it" being a never-ending, disgusting, fate-of-the-world combat, where he was killing mother fuckers by the handful. ...while his mother fuckers (in a different handful) were being killed in front of him.

Yeah, no time is a idyllic as people tend to remember it. One of the reasons I enjoy "Mad Men" in fact.

That being said, I think its legitimate to have a Steve Rogers who is an "aw shucks" guy simply on the idea that he's an individual character who just happens to have that personality.

The Cap movie, in fact, made it a point that part of the reason Erskine selected him for the super-soldier program was because of his personality being different than the other recruits.

Still, I do wish they'd found a way to work in "Ultimate" Cap's "Surrender? Do you think this letter on my head stands for France?" line into the film.