Originally Posted By: Prometheus
No offense, Rob. Seriously.

none taken, or (meant to be) exchanged!

Clint should have been firing out three arrows at a time or some crazy Legolas-shit like that.

legolas did, for a bow and arrow guy, kick more ass -- and i much appreciated stark's mention of that in the avengers. black widow has gigantic breasts, so that's a plus, but at least they also showed her as a negotiator and expert intel source. hawkeye has not established himself as able to contribute in any way the other fellas could. being turned into a baddie within the first 30 seconds, and remaining so for half the film didn't help matters. i don't really have a vast knowledge of avengers books, so i don't know if he ever has in any regard. but, looking just at this film, and presuming many people are getting their first look at the character, he's simply unnecessary - the movie could have happened without him in it.

it's Steve Roger's personality that makes him "Aww shucks", thus separating him from the other normal meatheads of the day.

sure. but like with the rest of the portrayal, i just disagree with it. i mean, yes, it is consistent in the realm of the movie universe marvel has built (i did see, and mostly enjoy, the cap movie) but i just find it poorly crafted. more than the "aw shucks" personality pre-super steve had, i like the notion that it was the "fuck you, i'll do it better" gumption he had that made him stand out. in other words, not his hoaky manners and smile, but the pre-serum moment when he jumped on the grenade in the cap film.

Originally Posted By: the G-man
Yeah, no time is a idyllic as people tend to remember it. One of the reasons I enjoy "Mad Men" in fact.

mad men, magic city, and spartacus (its more than just awesome boobs in every scene!) really do a great job of at least attempting a realistic portrayal of the environments.

I don't think either you or Gake will be satisfied with Steve being the moral standard he has always been presented.

on the larger scale, maybe his corniness adds to the lighter fun of the movie - and/or the wider (and younger) appeal of the fanbase. that said, i can't fault the decision, i just don't like it.

I hope you aren't ever seriously pissed at me or annoyed by my playing with you.

nossir, i only jest! honestly, i can't recall ever being pissed in the duration of the rkmbs. and if i ever were, i think i just wouldn't respond or engage in the discussion. it wouldn't be worth my time. i do, however, enjoy disagreeing with someone on a topic, because i like the debate. so, if anything, i'm happy you're fruity for lame characters like hawkeye \:\)

giant picture