Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
iggy #1187835 2012-09-18 10:02 PM
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
OP Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Personally I think it gets back to G-man's response that what Romney said was 100% accurate. If those people are not paying federal taxes that might correlate to G-man paying more. So calling the 47% victims works for certain groups of republicans.

I would be curious what those conservatives that fall in that 47% think about this?

Last edited by Matter-eater Man; 2012-09-18 10:12 PM.

Fair play!
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
This "tax the rich" propaganda is a complete fraud anyway.

If Obama and the Democrats had their wildest wet dreams fulfilled and got all the additional taxes they wanted on upper-income wage-earners and businesses, it would only pay for about 8 days of government.

Under Obama, we borrow about 3.5 billion a day just to sustain what we have. About 43 cents of every tax dollar spent is addional deficit, added to our already 16-plus trillion debt, and rapidly climbing.
http://www.usdebtclock.org

No amount of additional taxes is going to fix this liberal spend-fest. The only choice is to reduce spending. And if I could see actual significant cuts, then I might be willing to be taxed more, if I knew it was being used to pay down the debt. But in the current system, new taxation would just enable even more spending.

Regarding the 47% number tossed out by Romney, I posted a topic about a year ago that put that number at 49%.
But in the case of the elderly on Social Security and Medicare, while they are living on benefits and not paying taxes (some of them with investment income or still working are paying taxes) neither I or any Republicans consider them parasites. They worked for the benefits they are now receiving. But it is still 47% (to use Romney's number) who are receiving benefits and not paying into the system.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
OP Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Romney made it clear as to who he included in his 47% WB.

Fair play!
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Wonder Boy
 Originally Posted By: the G-man
 Originally Posted By: allan1
Eh,it's no better/worse than when Obama made his recorded comments at a fundraiser about people that cling to their guns and religion. These are comments that are made to those that share the same opinion/view as the person speaking. No more,no less in my opinion. Much ado about nothing.

That is a good point. However, whereas the media did their level best to cover up the Obama remarks, they're pulling an all out offensive against Romney.

They've completely dropped all pretext of being anything but appendages of the DNC.

That.

Romney said nothing that isn't obviously true.

A vast percentage of the population is addicted to liberal entitlements that the Democrats are championing and expanding to create a permanent Democrat majority.
And Romney rightly said that these people won't vote for Romney or the Republicans no matter what he proposes.

Romney rightly said that he will go for every vote he can get, but realistically will focus on moderates and independents that have a greater likelihood of being won to Romney's side and voting for him.

Romney also said that we are on the path to becoming Greece (i.e., riots, a collapsed currency, and junk-bond credit status; the difference being that, unlike Greece, no one will be able to bail us out). Our economy and dollar will implode, unless new leadership changes economic course from the orgy of deficit spending and printing of money that Obama has pursued.

To emphasize the point, (1) Bernanke announced QE-3, printing about 400 billion more over the next year, that will further de-value the dollar, and (2) the world's credit agencies downgraded the U.S. federal credit rating. AGAIN.

And while our embassies burn worldwide and the reforms in muslim countries Obama pushed collapse, the mainstream media ignores these failures, and the above mentioned collapsing economy, to focus on Mitt Romney's "tone", and y'know, the color of his shoes, and the utter failure and stupidity of his... being right!
The liberal media rails on Romney for appearing on Neil Cavuto's show, who "softpedaled" on Romney by asking him direct questions about his remarks.
While Obama gets praised by the same media for going on David Letterman and getting asked really tough questions about how good he looks, and how much he weighs ("about 180 pounds"), deep, penetrating questions about Obama's global failures in the Arab world, and the fact that he's still blaming it on "spontaneous rioting that just got out of hand", instead of what every other government worldwide (including the Libyan president) calls an organized terrorist attack.
Well, maybe next time.
Obama's too busy right now.
Meeting with David Letterman right now, while Obama's distance from Israel on the Iranian nuclear crisis moves us toward World War 3.
And with Beyonce.
And with Jay Z.
No time for a meeting with Netanyahu, though.
Which do you think is more important?

And the reaction from the media toward Obama's obliviousness toward multiple national and global threats? Complete silence. Nothing. Just fawning like schoolgirls over Obama's appearance on Letterman. While the media strains to make every attack possible on Romney.

It's unbelievable, the bias, the double-standard, the outrageous level of cover the mainstream media is flying for Obama.

• from Do Racists have lower IQ's...

Liberals who bemoan discrimination, intolerance, restraint of Constitutional freedoms, and promotion of hatred toward various abberant minorities, have absolutely no problem with discriminating against, being intolerant of, restricting Constitutional freedoms of, and directing hate-filled scapegoat rhetoric against conservatives.

EXACTLY what they accuse Republicans/conservatives of doing, is EXACTLY what liberals/Democrats do themselves, to those who oppose their beliefs.
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
OP Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Romney isn't fit to be President after revealling how he felt about half the country. Don't blame the media because they're reporting what the fool said. It makes you sound like one of those victims.

Fair play!
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Matter-eater Man
Romney isn't fit to be President after revealling how he felt about half the country. Don't blame the media because they're reporting what the fool said. It makes you sound like one of those victims.

It is Obama who is unfit to be president. If only the liberal media would strive for anything resembling objectivity, and give coverage to the events that render Obama unfit for the office he holds:
  • 1) Obama pulled away all political support for Mubarek, thus igniting greater revolution and encouraging his rapid overthrow. Seeing Mubarek --our major peace ally in the region, recipient of billions annually in U.S. aid-- thrown under the bus was a lesson not ignored by our allies in the region (Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Iraq and Israel) that they might similarly be abandoned. And that has raised distrust in our allies, and emboldened those who would overthrow them as well.
    It WAS possible to negotiate shared power or a slower transition where democracy forces could organize and win in Egypt, but Obama hosed that away.

2) Obama supported the insurgents in Libya, against Quaddaffi. Despite that Quaddaffi had begun cooperating with the U.S. and giving us information. And despite that the insurgents were clearly with strong radical islamist links to Al Qaida in Afghanistan (by one report I read, that region in eastern Libya sent the most jihadist fighters to Afghanistan to fight us).
    It was entiirely predictable to anyone who bothered to look at the intelligence on Libya, but our sinister ideologically-driven INCOMPETENT president did not. He used roughly a billion dollars to ILLEGALLY, WITHOUT SENATE APPROVAL FOR WAR, back an insurgency that predictably would create an even greater islamic threat to the United States than Quaddaffi.
    And it did.
    And now our embassy is burned, and our diplomats are dead.

3) Obama failed to prepare our embassies in advance for very predictable terrorist attacks on the anniversary of 9/11. Despite FOUR previous attacks on the Libyan embassy in the two months, prior to the full-scale 9/11/2012 attack on that embassy.

4) When Obama got the proverbial 3 AM phone call about the crises at the Egyptian and Libyan embassies, rather than leading, he slept through the night. And rather than begin leading the next day, Obama left to do fundraising appearances in Las Vegas, and with Beyonce and Jay Z, and to appear on David Letterman, to discuss such pressing issues as his current weight and how good he looks.
    Ironically, it was Hillary Clinton (true to her 2008 "3 AM" campaign commercial) who initially answered the 3 AM phone call and gave a response to the crisis in the first 12 hours. Even though she as well couldn't resist the kneejerk liberal impulse to blame America, saying this silly piddly Youtube video is what's truly responsible for this crisis.

5) Against the opinion of militaries and governments across Europe and the Middle East (including the Libyan president) that it clearly *WAS* a pre-planned military attack on our Libyan Ambassador, Obama, Hillary Clinton, Obama's surrogates in his campaign and White House, and the Obama cock-slurping liberal media, ALL continue to front the myth that this was a random occurrence, and not a pre-meditated terrorist/military attack on the Libyan embassy.
    Which is in denial of the facts, and consistent with Obama's entire four years as president, refuses to recognize islamic terrorism AS terrorism, and refuses to combat it in the necessary way. And this denial continues to endanger our embassies worldwide, our diplomats, our military, and our citizens worldwide.

6) And to this moment Obama, his surrogates, and the complicit media still blame the free expression of a Youtube video for sparking this revolution (i.e., blame western freedoms, rather than the murderous islamic fanatics who torched our embassies across the Muslim world.

And against all this, Obama and the Obama-fellating-liberal-media divert from the true issue to irrationally rage on Mitt Romney, who acted like a president instead of a sellout, and actually BLAMED THE ATTACKERS INSTEAD OF US! Meanwhile, Obama and his treasonous weasels are still in ideology-driven denial of the facts, and blaming America.
Or equally likely and just as treasonous, they recognize the truth, and stick to their story just to shunt blame away from Obama.

Obama, the Democrats, and the lapdog media were quick to attack Romney, and it's still questionable whether they ever attacked the enemy with anything other than half-hearted evasive non-committal plattitudes.
Treasonous indeed.
It's Obama who has proven unfit to be president.

Liberals who bemoan discrimination, intolerance, restraint of Constitutional freedoms, and promotion of hatred toward various abberant minorities, have absolutely no problem with discriminating against, being intolerant of, restricting Constitutional freedoms of, and directing hate-filled scapegoat rhetoric against conservatives.

EXACTLY what they accuse Republicans/conservatives of doing, is EXACTLY what liberals/Democrats do themselves, to those who oppose their beliefs.
Wonder Boy #1187874 2012-09-20 10:56 AM
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
OP Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
I don't agree with your spin of events and would point out that Romney is recieving criticism from fellow republicans...

Quote:
Romney Taking Hits in Republican Party as Polls Show Obama Edge
By Lisa Lerer and Julie Hirschfeld Davis - Sep 20, 2012 6:08 AM CT

Republican Mitt Romney is being hit with criticism in his own party over the tone and direction of the election campaign with a narrowing window of time to regroup.

Even as Romney tried to transform his latest stumble into an attack on President Barack Obama, a series of national polls showed the incumbent's lead growing, leaving some Republicans anxious about his prospects, uncomfortable with the management of his campaign and impatient for him to turn the contest around.

“He’s had two narratives over the last week and a half: one that says, ‘Is he compassionate?’; the other that says, ‘Is he competent?’,” Matthew Dowd, a Bloomberg analyst and former strategist for President George W. Bush, said on Bloomberg Television. “Both of those have created this opportunity for the president to reinforce a lead that he was already gaining.”

Less than 50 days before Election Day and less than two weeks before the first of three debates against Obama, Romney is still working to get his campaign back on track after the Sept. 17 release of a secretly recorded video of his remarks to donors in which he described 47 percent of Americans as government- dependent “victims” who don’t pay taxes and won’t vote for him

bloomberg.com

Fair play!
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
Citing a few Republicans who question aspects of Romney's campaign strategy, but don't question the correctness of Romney's statements, is not the same as condemning Romney.

That still doesn't explain away the FACTS that I just cited in my previous post. Obama has consistently pursued an ideologically wrong policy toward the Middle East, that made these attacks on the Libyan, Egyptian and other embassies possible.

And the liberal media is slowly being forced to report the truth, that it was terrorism, and not because of some piddly Youtube video.

Wonder Boy #1188136 2012-09-20 10:50 PM
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
OP Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
There's been criticism from republican's about Romney's awful 9/11 attack & his 47% remarks. I can repost them if you missed seeing them but I'm guessing you're aware of them but just don't want to acknowledge that it's not just one side saying this stuff about Romney.

Fair play!
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
There's been criticism from republican's about Romney's awful 9/11 attack & his 47% remarks. I can repost them if you missed seeing them but I'm guessing you're aware of them but just don't want to acknowledge that it's not just one side saying this stuff about Romney.

What I've seen is Republicans who say Romney was essentially correct on the major points (such as attacking the terrorists, instead of attacking free speech as Obama has) but made a few minor mistakes, such as Romney could have made a statement at 8 AM on Sept 12th instead of 10 PM on September 11th as he did.

But you're still dodging and dancing around my point: that Obama made far worse errors, that he isn't even being questioned on by the media. See my itemized numbered list above.

Obama even went so far as to try and get Youtube to censor the anti-islamic movie video! If that's not caving in to terrorism and siding against democracy freedoms, I don't know what is.

Obama, Hillary Clinton, Susan Rice and Jay Carney continue to use the words "disgusting" and "reprehensible" to describe the Youtube video, and even had its maker arrested. It is only as an after thought that they half-heartedly use similar language to describe the fanatics who killed our embassy staff and attacked our embassies throughout the muslim world. In between continuing to apologize to muslim rioters worldwide.

Wonder Boy #1188433 2012-09-24 10:10 PM
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
OP Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Since Romney in his own words let us know how he really felt about almost half the country I think you're going to have to ramp things up with the anti-Obama propaganda WB. Many republicans might be able to hold their nose and vote Romney but I would be really surprised if he can get beyond that.

Fair play!
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
Since Romney in his own words let us know how he really felt about almost half the country I think you're going to have to ramp things up with the anti-Obama propaganda WB. Many republicans might be able to hold their nose and vote Romney but I would be really surprised if he can get beyond that.

You can't prove to me what Romney said is wrong, because it isn't.
Romney stated a fact, that close to 50% of the nation is not paying taxes, and is re4ceiving benefits from the government.
And Romney, unquestionably correctly, states that it is very difficult to get these people to vote for him, and he should focus his election strategy on those who pay taxes and/or own businesses.

You try to spin that as somehow untrue or wrong. But those are the pure and simple facts.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
I dug up this old topic to support my point

THE TIPPING POINT: 51% now pay no federal income tax (posted July 1, 2011)

Relative to the numbers I sourced, Romney's numbers are actually conservative.

Wonder Boy #1188960 2012-09-25 10:53 AM
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
OP Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Wonder Boy

You can't prove to me what Romney said is wrong, because it isn't.
Romney stated a fact, that close to 50% of the nation is not paying taxes, and is re4ceiving benefits from the government.
And Romney, unquestionably correctly, states that it is very difficult to get these people to vote for him, and he should focus his election strategy on those who pay taxes and/or own businesses.

You try to spin that as somehow untrue or wrong. But those are the pure and simple facts.

No spin is required on my part. You left out how Romney described almost half the country. In his own words...

Quote:
"There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what," Romney is shown saying in the video of a May 17 fundraiser in Boca Raton, Fla. "There are 47 percent who are with him, who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe that government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you name it."

Romney said in the video that his role "is not to worry about those people. I'll never convince them they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives."

Many of those he clearly thinks so little off are elderly retired people or military families. Many of those are also republican voters.

Fair play!
Wonder Boy #1188961 2012-09-25 10:59 AM
Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
Online Content
Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
I'm sick of people saying "at least you have a job" when there are lots of families sitting on their asses collecting welfare and food stamps while living in government subsidized housing nicer and cheaper than my crappy townhouse while I stress over paying my bills every month. Where exactly is my incentive to work and continue contributing to this?

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
I make $15 a day, you guys.

Son of Mxy #1188963 2012-09-25 11:22 AM
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Please vote for the president who can improve the dollar's going rate against the philippine peso. Because everytime the dollar rate goes down, my wage gets smaller.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Stupid Doog
I'm sick of people saying "at least you have a job" when there are lots of families sitting on their asses collecting welfare and food stamps while living in government subsidized housing nicer and cheaper than my crappy townhouse while I stress over paying my bills every month. Where exactly is my incentive to work and continue contributing to this?

My point exactly.

Obama is counting on a majority who depend on government, and there are incentives he is building for people to NOT work!

Disability claims are up from 1.9 million when Obama took office, to 3.9 million. Do all these people really need to be on disability? I work with an orthopedic specialist, part of whose job is to evaluate disability claims. He expresses maximum contempt for these people. In his words, they may not be able to do heavy lifting, but are certainly capable of sitting at a desk for 8 hours. But choose not to work.

Unemployment and food stamps are also way up under Obama. A few weeks ago, I saw a story about how the federal government in some areas is actually running radio commercials encouraging people to enroll on food stamps! Incredible.

Add to that Obama's takeover of the banking sector, the healthcare sector, the auto industry bailout, and pushes for greater expansions of power and entitlement by labor unions (even as private sector annual salaries have dropped by $5,000).

And if Obama wins a second term, he will find a way to give amnesty to the estimated 20 million illegal immigrants, and put them on a path to citizenship, to (along with all the state-dependent Americans already addicted to DNC big-government entitlements) create a permanent Democrat voting majority.
The priority should be securing our borders and creating favorable economic conditions, and jobs, and benefits, for the existing U.S. citizens and immigrants who are LEGALLY in this country. Not giving benefits to people who demonstrated their contempt for this country and its laws by coming here illegally, and often march under Mexican flags.
Time and again, I see the Democrats pursuing what is politically expedient for them, even as it works toward the detriment and long-term decline of the rest of the nation.

Rome's leadership in its final decades had similar self-destructive policy, welcoming Vandals and Visigoths inside their borders. A few decades later, they killed the emperor who welcomed them.

Son of Mxy #1188967 2012-09-25 10:29 PM
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Son of Mxy
Please vote for the president who can improve the dollar's going rate against the philippine peso. Because everytime the dollar rate goes down, my wage gets smaller.

I have Phillipine friends who are uneasy about the pricipitous decline of the dollar in recent years against the Phillipine peso. Because the wages they earn here are (obviously) worth less too.

My Phillipine girlfriend in 2001-2002 told me that she earned more here as a live-in maid ($300 a week, from a wealthy family) than a doctor made in her home country. I wonder if that is still true.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
OP Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts

Well speaking for myself, I'm glad I have a job. Maybe it's different where you live but I don't think welfare here is all that great. It might be enough for some to squeek by but I don't know anybody who's tempted to quit their jobs for it.

Keep in mind Romney wasn't just speaking about those on welfare either. If you didn't pay federal taxes he was including you with the welfare people.

Fair play!
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
OP Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Apparently now Romney is saying he was completley wrong about what he said about almost half the country.

huffingtonpost.com

Anybody here have enough deductions where they don't pay any federal to fit Mitt's 47% btw?

Fair play!
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
What's seventeen days of defending it between Mitt and nearly half the nation? Water under the bridge. That's what. Apparently. Maybe. Probably not.

I'm kinda interested in how those that defended the comments for him feel about being thrown under the bus as heartless, though.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

Well speaking for myself, I'm glad I have a job. Maybe it's different where you live but I don't think welfare here is all that great. It might be enough for some to squeek by but I don't know anybody who's tempted to quit their jobs for it.

Keep in mind Romney wasn't just speaking about those on welfare either. If you didn't pay federal taxes he was including you with the welfare people.

And rightly so.

AGAIN: Beyond empty posturing, what exactly is incorrect about Romney saying roughly half the country receives benefits without paying taxes, or receives far more benefits than they pay for?

What is innaccurate in Romney's remark?

It's a bullshit issue that liberals toss out there, to cover for the fact that the nation --and our foreign embassies-- are burning, while Obama does fundraisers in las Vegas, cavorts with Beyonce, Jay Z, and "Pimp with a limp", and David Letterman, and sits on the couch as "decoration" with his wife on The View. While ignoring Benjamin Netanyahu and other world leaders at the U.N. headquarters and Washington, who would like to prevent Iran from getting nuclear weapons.

The 16 trillion-plus debt, the unsecured embassies and the pro-islamic-radicalism plicies that led to it, the high employment (that beyond manipulated statisitcs is way above 8.3%), Obama's plan to be "more flexible" the Russians regarding scrapping our nuclear weapons after the election, Obama's war against the coal industry and fossil-feul that is slashing thousands of jobs when we desperately need them, Obama's "Fast and Furious" operation that was orchestrated by Obama's own justice department to smear the gun industry and a U.S. border guard killed, along with scores of other dead Americans and Mexicans, that Obamaa's cronies are still covering up... ALL are far more important issues than variations of the word choice of how Romney stated something that is absolute truth.

Partisan liberal slander and re-direction doesn't change these basic facts.

iggy #1189361 2012-10-05 1:06 PM
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: iggy
What's seventeen days of defending it between Mitt and nearly half the nation? Water under the bridge. That's what. Apparently. Maybe. Probably not.

I'm kinda interested in how those that defended the comments for him feel about being thrown under the bus as heartless, though.

Quote:

MITT ROMNEY DID *WHAT* ?!?

• Gave his ENTIRE INHERITANCE to charity...

Volunteered for his dad's gubernatorial campaign for one year.

Unpaid intern in governor's office for 8 years.

Mormon missionary in Paris for 2 years.

Unpaid state president of his church for 10 years.

Took no pay as president of the Salt Lake Olympics, 3 years.

Took no salary as Massachusetts governor for 4 years.

THAT'S A TOTAL OF 28 years of unpaid service to his country, his community and his church.

THAT'S the kind of man Mitt Romney is.

and

A MITT ROMNEY MOST OF AMERICA DOESN'T KNOW (thanks to the viciously partisan liberal media)

Wonder Boy #1189445 2012-10-07 12:22 AM
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
OP Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
The real Mitt Romney only his wealthiest contributors get to see until he was secretly taped...

Quote:
"There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what. All right, there are 47 percent who are with him, who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you-name-it -- that that's an entitlement. And the government should give it to them. And they will vote for this president no matter what. ... These are people who pay no income tax. ... [M]y job is not to worry about those people. I'll never convince them they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives."

Fair play!
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
The real Mitt Romney only his wealthiest contributors get to see until he was secretly taped...

Quote:
"There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what. All right, there are 47 percent who are with him, who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you-name-it -- that that's an entitlement. And the government should give it to them. And they will vote for this president no matter what. ... These are people who pay no income tax. ... [M]y job is not to worry about those people. I'll never convince them they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives."

Romney''s recorded comments at the fundraiser, as we already established, is quantifiably true: A vast swath of voters that approaches 50% of the population, take benefits and don't pay taxes, and will only vote for the candidate (Obama, Democrats) who give them the most free stuff.

What's immoral is NOT what Romney said (what he said is true!) at a private fundraiser dinner, or broadcast nationwide.
What's immoral is that Democrats work to expand those welfare recipients to create a permanent voting majority. To the destruction and detriment of the nation.

And as I said, many social security recipients are among the most loyal Republican voters, no matter how you and the Democrats try to spin it.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
OP Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
 Quote:
The Company Romney Keeps
By CHARLES M. BLOW
Published: October 26, 2012 Comment

Damon Winter/The New York Times
Charles M. Blow

If that is true, what does the company Mitt Romney keeps say about him?

This week Colin Powell endorsed Barack Obama again, as he did in 2008. That apparently set John Sununu, a co-chairman of the Romney campaign, on edge. Powell’s endorsement couldn’t possibly be the product of purposeful deliberation over the candidates’ policies. In Sununu’s world of racial reductionism, Powell’s endorsement had a more base explanation: it was a black thing.

On Thursday, Sununu said on CNN:“When you take a look at Colin Powell, you have to wonder whether that’s an endorsement based on issues or whether he’s got a slightly different reason for preferring President Obama.” He continued: “I think when you have somebody of your own race that you’re proud of being president of the United States, I applaud Colin for standing with him.”

Talk about damning with faint praise. In other words, Sununu was basically saying that he was applauding Powell’s inability to see past the color of his own eyelids.

Sununu is the same man who said that the president performed poorly in the first debate because “he’s lazy and disengaged.” He is also the same man who said of the president in July, “I wish this president would learn how to be an American.”

Could Sununu be unaware that many would register such comments as coded racism? Or was that the intent?

To understand Sununu, it is important to understand his political history.

For starters, he is no stranger to racism controversies. When George H.W. Bush selected him as chief of staff in 1988, The New York Times reported:

“Mr. Sununu’s selection was shadowed by concern among some key Jewish leaders. The 49-year-old New Hampshire Governor, whose father is Lebanese and who takes pride in his Arab ancestry, was the only governor to refuse to sign a June 1987 statement denouncing a 1975 United Nations resolution that equated Zionism with racism.”

But that wasn’t his undoing. It was his actions. In 1991, Sununu became enmeshed in a scandal over using government planes for personal trips.

After the embarrassment of the incident, Bush ordered Sununu to clear all future flights in advance. What happened later you must read for yourself, and it is best stated by Time Magazine in a July 1, 1991, article:

“If Sununu hadn’t exactly been grounded, he had certainly been sent to his room. But Bush underestimated the depth of Sununu’s ethical obtuseness and his zeal at finding a way around the rules. Like a rebellious adolescent, Sununu sneaked down the stairs, grabbed the car keys and slipped out of the White House. After all, the old man had only said, ‘Don’t take the plane.’ He didn’t say anything about the car.”

“Overcome by a sudden urge two weeks ago to buy rare stamps, Sununu ordered the driver of his government-paid limousine to drive him 225 miles to New York City. He spent the day — and nearly $5,000 — at an auction room at Christie’s. Then he dismissed the driver, who motored back to Washington with no passengers. Sununu returned on a private jet owned by Beneficial Corp.”

By the end of 1991, amid sagging poll numbers, Bush began to see Sununu as a drag and unceremoniously relieved him of his post. As The Times reported then, Sununu was made to plead for his job before he was pushed out anyway:

“Mr. Sununu and the White House portrayed the departure as voluntary. But it followed meetings in which Mr. Bush listened to Mr. Sununu’s arguments that he should stay on and then decided to follow the advice of top-level Republicans who urged the removal of his chief of staff.”

R. W. Apple Jr. wrote in The Times after the move that Bush’s “indirectly soliciting and then promptly accepting” Sununu’s resignation had made it abundantly clear what actually happened.

Sununu has apologized, somewhat, for his racial attack of Powell’s motives. But what should we make of all this?

We have a very racially divided electorate. As The Washington Post reported Thursday, “Obama has a deficit of 23 percentage points, trailing Republican Mitt Romney 60 percent to 37 percent among whites, according to the latest Washington Post-ABC News national tracking poll.”

The report pointed out that nearly 80 percent of nonwhites support Obama, while 91 percent of Romney’s supporters are white.

I worry that Sununu’s statements intentionally go beyond recognizing racial disparities and seek to exploit them.

What does that say about Romney, and what does it say about his campaign’s tactics?

Remember: A man is known by the company he keeps.

nytimes.com

Fair play!
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard