Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
old one eye
2500+ posts
OP Offline
old one eye
2500+ posts
More story and video at the link. http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/24/opinion/sutter-franklin-county-mississippi-lgbt/index.html?hpt=hp_c1

Quote:
Franklin County, Mississippi (CNN) -- Statistically speaking, Franklin County should be straighter than John Wayne eating Chick-fil-A. The middle-of-nowhere rectangle in southwest Mississippi -- known for its pine forests, hog hunting and an infamous hate crime -- is home to exactly zero same-sex couples, according to an analysis of census data.
In other words: It's a place where gays don't exist.

At least not on paper.

Before I visited Franklin County, I figured there must be gay people living in Straight County USA. But I didn't expect anyone to be open about it -- and with good reason. As part of this op-ed project, I recently ranked the Hospitality State as one of the least hospitable for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people, based on its lack of legal protections. In addition to allowing gays and lesbians to be fired because of who they are, Mississippi is also gracious enough to let landlords evict gay residents.

Those are great incentives for a gay person to become invisible. And being invisible, of course, could mean avoiding census workers

I drove to this place of rolling hills and misty valleys with a few questions on my mind: Can there really be such a thing as an all-straight county? If so, what is it like to be someone who never has met a gay person? Do you just watch "Glee" and figure it out?

If there are gay people in Franklin County, what keeps them hidden?

I spent a few days searching for answers before I realized I was making the wrong assumptions: It's not that gay people here (or anywhere really) want to be in the closet, necessarily. It's the rest of the world that pushes them in and shuts the door.

My first mission in Franklin: looking for any superficial signs of gayness.
There's a gas station named ABBA and a purple hair salon called Sassy Fraz. In the window of the Bude Thrift Store, there's a piece of fabric with the words "LIMITS EXIST ONLY IN YOUR MIND" stitched on top of a rainbow. The Homochitto National Forest (insert middle-school laugh here) occupies about half of the county's land.

Other than that, Franklin County is pretty much the straightest-seeming place you could imagine. Its 8,000 residents (population density: 45 acres per person) are concentrated primarily in three towns: Bude, Meadville and Roxie.

Roxie's downtown is home to an empty swing set and about five rusted and abandoned buildings. One resident described it as a ghost town in the making and told me I could take a nap in the dirt road and would be safe all day because no cars would be coming through. It looks like the set of a post-apocalyptic movie. A zombie wouldn't seem out of place. Bude has a train depot and a hardware store with a sign in the window warning of alligator attacks ("... alligators should not be fed or molested in any way. Dogs can be a food source for alligators.") Camo print is everywhere. Meadville, the county seat, boasts a restaurant called The Feed Mill, which specializes in feeding bread pudding to people, not animals. A convenience store between towns keeps pickled pig lips next to the cash register.

How you doin'?
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
In the interest of diverse city we need to airlift lothar there

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
All the gays just moved to Natchez in the next county.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
brother from another mother
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: the G-man
In the interest of diverse city we need to airlift lothar there

I'm sure G-man is an expert at kidnapping people and transporting them across the country.

"My friends have always been the best of me." -Doctor Who

"Well,whenever I'm confused,I just check my underwear. It holds most answers to life's questions." Abe Simpson

I can tell by the position of the sun in the sky, that is time for us to go. Until next time, I am Lothar of the Hill People!
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
It's actually refreshing to know there's a place in America where people stand firm for what they believe, and don't compromise their moral beliefs by endorsing the gay lifestyle.

The simple fact is, gay activists and the ACLU can't be everywhere, and that's probably why this small town of 8,000 hasn't been harassed and intimidated into accepting gays.

I've been pretty vocal, that I think, like many, that being gay is a behavior. It is not an ethnic group entitled to rights, it is simply a choice of actions. And a community has a right to reject that choice of actions as culturally unacceptable. And if they don't like it, gays can move to San Francisco or Key West or some other metropolitan area.

Or if homosexuality were more widely regarded as unacceptable, then perhaps more people would be psychologically treated to eliminate it, and lead happier lives. I know two people --family members-- who were heterosexual and in their late 20's made a switch to the gay lifestyle. And despite the fact that they live in areas of the country where homosexuality is widely accepted, in both the local community and among our family (in Florida and Arizona) they have for two decades both suffered from alcoholism, depression, been prescribed Zoloft and other anti-depressents, and been under psychological counseling at least once a week for that entire time.
There is nothing gay or happy, in what I've observed closely in them, about being homosexual.

As I pointed out elsewhere repeatedly over the last 12 years or so, homosexuality was clinically diagnosed as a compulsive disorder by the psychology/psychiatry fields until political correctness pressed to remove it from the list of psychological disorders in 1973.

And any clinician who attempts since then to objectively investigate without bias even the possibility that homosexuality is nurture and not nature, that clinician is harassed and intimidated into silence, or at least denied any prestige in the psychiatric field.
(Much like the scientists who objectively question or dissent from global warming theory. The liberal community's holy war on progress and objective science.)

But regardless, there are still researchers and clinicians who treat it as a disorder.

I see homosexuality as it was before 1973: a compulsive-obsessive disorder. Like alcohol and drug abuse. Like pedophelia. Like bondage and discipline, like other sexual fetishes and obsessions. And as I've cited in the past, you see these other groups, like pedophiles, like BDSM, annually trying to legitimize their "lifestyle" and have it as well taken of the list of disorders, riding on the coat-tails of homosexuals.

If you don't want more alcoholics and drug addicts, both the law and the community should discourage it.
Likewise teen pregnancy.
Likewise homosexuality, and other "alternative" lifestyles, that are part of a movement to undermine marriage, the family, and conservatism.

And under the post-1960's cultural revolution (thinly veiled re-packaged marxism of the Frankfurt School of Georg Lukacs, Antonio Gramsci, Theodr Adorno and Herbert Marchuse) advocacy for the "alternative family" and gay lifestyle is part of the marxist plot to 1) undermine the supportive role of the family to instill traditional/conservative values, 2) undermine faith in our Western democracy institutions and government, and 3) undermine belief in the cultural values in our Judao-Christian churches.

These three things were what marxists considered the pillars of western culture that prevented the success of global marxist revolution in the 1920's and 30's.
They were the pillars that marxist thinkers deemed necessary to topple in order to undermine defense of Western culture, and prepare them, through decades of leftist indoctrination, for marxist revolution that would then be free to seize power unresisted.

As we are seeing now under the current DNC leadership, liberal-dominated media, and liberal-dominated schools and universities.

• from Do Racists have lower IQ's...

Liberals who bemoan discrimination, intolerance, restraint of Constitutional freedoms, and promotion of hatred toward various abberant minorities, have absolutely no problem with discriminating against, being intolerant of, restricting Constitutional freedoms of, and directing hate-filled scapegoat rhetoric against conservatives.

EXACTLY what they accuse Republicans/conservatives of doing, is EXACTLY what liberals/Democrats do themselves, to those who oppose their beliefs.
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
 Quote:
In 2007, national news crews descended on the area after a local man, James Ford Seale, a reported Ku Klux Klan member, was convicted on federal charges of kidnapping and conspiracy in connection with the 1964 deaths of two black men. The two 19-year-olds, according to prosecutors, were abducted near Meadville; they were beaten in the national forest before being drowned in the Mississippi River, with an engine block, iron weights and railroad ties pulling them into the depths.

Sounds like your kinda town, Wondy!

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Im Not Mister Mxyzptlk
 Quote:
In 2007, national news crews descended on the area after a local man, James Ford Seale, a reported Ku Klux Klan member, was convicted on federal charges of kidnapping and conspiracy in connection with the 1964 deaths of two black men. The two 19-year-olds, according to prosecutors, were abducted near Meadville; they were beaten in the national forest before being drowned in the Mississippi River, with an engine block, iron weights and railroad ties pulling them into the depths.

Non-sequitor. Completely unrelated to what I commented on.

I support justice against a Klansman who committed a crime roughly the time I was born. I've never endorsed the Klan, never known anyone in the Klan, or even met anyone who ever said they were a member of the Klan. Last time I looked at Wikipedia on the subject, they estimated the Klan had a nationwide membership estimated of at most 5 or 6 thousand.
They are an insignificant group, completely irrelevant to what religious conservatives think.

And the Klan was an irrelevant group trying for one last gasp of relevance when they killed three kids in 1964.

Just more typical smear tactics on your part. The KKK has far more in common with La Raza, Mecha, The Mexica movement and other pan-hispanic nationist groups than they do with Christian conservatives, amigo.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYe4LXuI0l4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bjfDEv_cSs

"Viva la Raza" is hispanish for "Seig Heil."

Liberals who bemoan discrimination, intolerance, restraint of Constitutional freedoms, and promotion of hatred toward various abberant minorities, have absolutely no problem with discriminating against, being intolerant of, restricting Constitutional freedoms of, and directing hate-filled scapegoat rhetoric against conservatives.

EXACTLY what they accuse Republicans/conservatives of doing, is EXACTLY what liberals/Democrats do themselves, to those who oppose their beliefs.
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
Yes, I'm just making shit up to ruin your good name. I am now going to attribute the most unbelievably stupid, cartoonishly hateful bullshit I can find on the internet and pretend you're the one who said it:

Originally Posted By: Wonder Boy
It's actually refreshing to know there's a place in America where people stand firm for what they believe, and don't compromise their moral beliefs by endorsing the gay lifestyle.

The simple fact is, gay activists and the ACLU can't be everywhere, and that's probably why this small town of 8,000 hasn't been harassed and intimidated into accepting gays.

I've been pretty vocal, that I think, like many, that being gay is a behavior. It is not an ethnic group entitled to rights, it is simply a choice of actions. And a community has a right to reject that choice of actions as culturally unacceptable. And if they don't like it, gays can move to San Francisco or Key West or some other metropolitan area.

Or if homosexuality were more widely regarded as unacceptable, then perhaps more people would be psychologically treated to eliminate it, and lead happier lives. I know two people --family members-- who were heterosexual and in their late 20's made a switch to the gay lifestyle. And despite the fact that they live in areas of the country where homosexuality is widely accepted, in both the local community and among our family (in Florida and Arizona) they have for two decades both suffered from alcoholism, depression, been prescribed Zoloft and other anti-depressents, and been under psychological counseling at least once a week for that entire time.
There is nothing gay or happy, in what I've observed closely in them, about being homosexual.

As I pointed out elsewhere repeatedly over the last 12 years or so, homosexuality was clinically diagnosed as a compulsive disorder by the psychology/psychiatry fields until political correctness pressed to remove it from the list of psychological disorders in 1973.

And any clinician who attempts since then to objectively investigate without bias even the possibility that homosexuality is nurture and not nature, that clinician is harassed and intimidated into silence, or at least denied any prestige in the psychiatric field.
(Much like the scientists who objectively question or dissent from global warming theory. The liberal community's holy war on progress and objective sccience.)

But regardless, there are still researchers and clinicians who treat it as a disorder.

I see homosexuality as it was before 1973: an compulsive-obsessive disorder. Like alcohol and drug abuse. Like pedophelia. Like bondage and discipline, like other sexual fetishes and obsessions. And as I've cited in the past, you see these other groups, like pedophiles, like BDSM, annually trying to legitimize their "lifestyle" and have it as well taken of the list of disorders, riding on the coat-tails of homosexuals.

If you don't want more alcoholics and drug addicts, both the law and the community should discourage it.
Likewise teen pregnancy.
Likewise homosexuality, and other "alternative" lifestyles, that are part of a movement to undermine marriage, the family, and conservatism.

And under the post-1960's cultural revolution (thinly veiled re-packaged marxism of the Frankfurt School of Georg Lukacs, Antonio Gramsci, Theodr Adorno and Herbert Marchuse) advocacy for the "alternative family" and gay lifestyle is part of the marxist plot to 1) undermine the supportive role of the family to instill traditional/conservative values, 2) undermine faith in our Western democracy institutions and government, and 3) undermine belief in the cultural values in our Judao-Christian churches.

These three things were what marxists considered the pillars of western culture that prevented the success of global marxist revolution in the 1920's and 30's.
They were the pillars that marxist thinkers deemed necessary to topple in order to undermine defense of Western culture, and prepare them, through decades of leftist indoctrination, for marxist revolution that would seize power unresisted.

As we are seeing now under the current DNC leadership, liberal-dominated media, and liberal-dominated schools and universities.

Wow, I may have gone a little overboard on that one. Sorry buddy.

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
OVERBOARDER!

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I didn't read it all. What did he say?

"Well,whenever I'm confused,I just check my underwear. It holds most answers to life's questions." Abe Simpson

I can tell by the position of the sun in the sky, that is time for us to go. Until next time, I am Lothar of the Hill People!
Banned from the DCMBs since 2002.
15000+ posts
Banned from the DCMBs since 2002.
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Wonder Boy
 Quote:

Non-sequitor. Completely unrelated to what I commented on.

He is drawing a proper, logical analogy.

Racism = hated of people of different ethnicity
Homophobia = hatred of people of different gender preference.

Racism / homophobia are both underpinned by hatred.

Heard a good song the other day which seemed to sum this up.

Quote:

Gay is synonymous with the lesser
It's the same hate that's caused wars from religion
Gender to skin color, the complexion of your pigment
The same fight that led people to walk outs and sit ins
It's human rights for everybody, there is no difference!
Live on and be yourself
When I was at church they taught me something else
If you preach hate at the service those words aren't anointed
That holy water that you soak in has been poisoned
When everyone else is more comfortable remaining voiceless
Rather than fighting for humans that have had their rights stolen
I might not be the same, but that's not important
No freedom till we're equal, damn right I support it

One of the things which turned me against you back in the day, Dave, was this idea you have that homosexuality is a moral wrong.

I saw simply accepting that or excusing it as akin to tolerating racism. I could not be quiet and be true to my central core belief that all are equal, and that if gender preference does me and mine no harm, then that preference is an inalienable liberty-based right in a democracy. I still cannot tolerate it, many years later.

If someone starting, even in the most polite manner, talking about blacks or Asians or Hispanics in a derogatory way, I would not tolerate that for a moment. And so, I can't tolerate deliberately misinformed commentary about gays.

I know I can't change your mind, and I have no real desire to do so. But I can say, in case someone else should ever read this and think the rest of us sat back and tolerated what you've written, that your views on this are foolish and are fueled by misunderstanding and hatred.

Pimping my site, again.

http://www.worldcomicbookreview.com

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Lothar

He read an article about people who were beaten up and harassed for what they do in their homes (the article points out several times they can't even hold hands on the street) and his reaction was "that's refreshing".

The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: First Amongst Daves
He is drawing a proper, logical analogy.

Racism = hated of people of different ethnicity
Homophobia = hatred of people of different gender preference.

Racism / homophobia are both underpinned by hatred.

Behavior isn't ethnicity....unless of course you subscribe to comments like "act black/white/Asian".

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Franklin County is the perfect place for Pariah. He can be gay but self-hate and deny it all in the company of other homophobes.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: First Amongst Daves
One of the things which turned me against you back in the day, Dave, was this idea you have that homosexuality is a moral wrong.

I saw simply accepting that or excusing it as akin to tolerating racism. I could not be quiet and be true to my central core belief that all are equal, and that if gender preference does me and mine no harm, then that preference is an inalienable liberty-based right in a democracy. I still cannot tolerate it, many years later.

If someone starting, even in the most polite manner, talking about blacks or Asians or Hispanics in a derogatory way, I would not tolerate that for a moment. And so, I can't tolerate deliberately misinformed commentary about gays.

I know I can't change your mind, and I have no real desire to do so. But I can say, in case someone else should ever read this and think the rest of us sat back and tolerated what you've written, that your views on this are foolish and are fueled by misunderstanding and hatred.

And that's where you went off the deep end, T-Dave. Because I can listen to your arguments, and understand your perspective, but not agree with it, and just agree to disagree.

Whereas you seem utterly incapable of understanding my perspective, that the advance of gay marriage (a political push that's really not necessary, because for decades gays already live together, can frequently share health insurance benefits, and can will property to whoever they want, just like everyone else) means a diminishment and intrusion on the life of religious conservatives.

You seem utterly incapable of understanding that gay marriage is a stepping-stone to further intrusions on the rights of religious conservatives, toward a point where their merely voicing scriptural quotation of the Biblical verses of right and wrong, that outline the immorality of homosexual behavior, could be labelled as "hate speech" punishable by large fines or imprisonment.

Further --as I just detailed in my post above-- my "racist/homophobe/bigotry" has been the standard on which marriage has been defined (one man/one woman) for the entire 6,000 years of recorded human history, and the standard of the scientific psychiatry/psychological community as well until at least 1973, up till which time homosexuality has been labelled as a compulsive --and treatable-- psychological disorder.

And that many psychologists --as I outlined in a previous topic, with links-- still DO treat as a disorder. That thousands of men and women have left the homosexual lifestyle, been able to marry, and lead happier lives.

Is THAT "hate"?

Or is it hate to irrationally dismiss, insult and slander those who may have a valid argument that homosexuality is not proven to be an inborn condition, and may in fact be a treatable disorder.
Like drug abuse and alcoholism.
Like pedophilia.
Like sadomasochism.
Like gambling addiction.

I'm not even self-righteously saying I'm absolutely right and anyone who disagrees with me is a bigot or just stupid. I'm just saying that there is a valid counter-perspective to your view, and the scientific basis for homosexuality is far from definitively proven.

So... just take it down a notch, will you?

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
I think he understands what your saying WB.

Fair play!
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
Wonder Boy's existence is a diminishment and intrusion on the life of people who aren't dense shitheads.

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
Wonder Boy, to get serious for a second here, I'm going to have ask you to stop masturbating to underage-looking girls. You may think that it's none of my business what you do with your privates, but actually when you wank thinking about 13 year olds that's a stepping-stone to further intrusions on the rights of non-pedos.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
Wonder Boy's existence is a diminishment and intrusion on the life of people who aren't dense shitheads.

Because ultimately, that's all you really have is insults, isn't it?

Regardless, as I said, there are still psychologists who treat homosexuality as an obsessive disorder.

And likewise, there is still no absolute proof that homosexuality is a natural and inborn condition, and not just a disorder.

The U.S. Supreme Court during one case said the gay movement is just as much a faith-based belief system as Christianity.

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
I believe Lothar proves that being gay can be a natural, inborn condition. He's been gay since birth.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Lothar

He read an article about people who were beaten up and harassed for what they do in their homes (the article points out several times they can't even hold hands on the street) and his reaction was "that's refreshing".

I was referring to SoM's post above my post. I never know what he's saying in that Mexican he speaks.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
It's ok not to like someone because they are gay or black or white or man or woman. You cross a bad line when you assault them or scream your hatred at them.

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Wondy
Regardless, as I said, there are still psychologists who treat homosexuality as an obsessive disorder.

And likewise, there is still no absolute proof that homosexuality is a natural and inborn condition, and not just a disorder.

The U.S. Supreme Court during one case said the gay movement is just as much a faith-based belief system as Christianity.

There are even more psychologists that treat spanking it to teenage girls (as you do) as a disorder. I'm sure the U.S. Supreme Court would frown on it. Why haven't you stopped doing it? It offends my values and the values of millions of people in the world.

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
In Japan, they treat it as a disorder if you don't spank it to teenage girls.

I'm just sayin'
10000+ posts
I'm just sayin'
10000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Son of Mxy
In Japan, they treat it as a disorder if you don't spank it to teenage girls.

In Soviet Russia,teenage girls spank YOU!!

It's a dog eat dog world & I'm wearing milkbone underwear.

I can get you a toe.

1,999,999+ points.

Damn you and your lemonade!!

Booooooooooooooobs.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
So what's the fastest way to get to Russia?

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
through uranus.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Uranus is very far from here. Maybe someday they will land a man on Uranus.

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
lothar's anus is a landing pad for men.

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
Uranus? I barely knew us!

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
I read most of it and it's typical bullshit! You're born gay. You're born straight. One or the other! End of story! Lot of gay people try to suppress it in the beginning because the "Wonder Boys" of the world tell them that is the correctly political thing to aspire to. Of course, my opinion is that those who browbeat others to be something other than how they were born are only six beers from letting some guy suck 'em dry! God knows what's really in your unforgiving hearts! You're family members who suffered from drug/alcoholic problems definitely didn't get any family support! Wondered if that contributed to their dependency issues? Have a good day! I said, "HAVE A GOOD DAY!"

-----------once over and really tired of the hypocritical and damaging bullshit!--------

-----once over and twice twisted---------
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Wow. You managed to encapsulate just about every "born that way" cliche in a roughly five sentence paragraph. Social liberals have recycled their tune so often that they have their talking points down to a science. Congrats?

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Pariah's just upset because you told him that he'd have to wait until he drank the sixth beer.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
I'm sure he's safe. He probably can't hold 3 beers let alone 6!

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Pariah
Wow. You managed to encapsulate just about every "born that way" cliche in a roughly five sentence paragraph. Social liberals have recycled their tune so often that they have their talking points down to a science. Congrats?

Thank you!

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
You're very welcome! \:\)

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: LLance
I'm sure he's safe. He probably can't hold 3 beers let alone 6!

That's why he's so disappointed.

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Lothar doesn't even need a beer to be gay.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Beer helps you do things you normally wouldn't do.

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
beer makes Lothar have sex with women

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard