Originally Posted By: Wonder Boy
A comic shop owner I spoke to said that DC's reboot of all their titles has given a huge boost to their sales. Plus other marketing of their "52" titles is apparently going well.

He said that DC's simplifying their continuity with a reboot makes them friendlier to new readers. And what they lose in pissed-off longtime fans, they make up in new readers.
Maybe at some point Marvel will do the same.

We tend to think of Marvel as the "new" company. However, Marvel continuity is over 50 years old at this point.

While there have been soft reboots over the years, mostly due to the sliding time scale (ex: Tony Stark being injured 'Nam eventually became Afghanistan or Iraq), Marvel is currently more or less at the point in its history where DC had it's first major "official" reboot

Quote:
Crossover events at this point pretty much guarantee I won't be buying.

Same here. I want to read a story, not a chapter in a year long serialized novel that doesn't really hold together due to the various writers and artists not being coordinated.

Originally Posted By: First Amongst Daves
I'm a little surprised to read this too. Marvel have been getting great coverage for their characters through the movies. I would have guessed it was the other way around.

Supposedly, one of the best selling comic books in the world is DC's "Injustice: Gods among us." That's based on a video game, not a movie. I think there's an argument to be made that people who typically buy comics would be more inclined to respond to the coverage created by video games than by movies and, as a corollary, the people who are into video games are more likely to pick up a comic book tied into the game than people who go to movies are.