I intend this as a topic for opinions about specific comic series that defy the accepted logic of what are widely considered the great and unchallenged masterworks of comics.

One time I recall when I was in a comic store in 1986, and Frank Miller's BATMAN: THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS was on its second issue. I was having a conversation with the owner in a crowded store, not really paying attention to the others around us, and comparing it to Miller's previous work, at one point I said "Well, Miller's work in DARK KNIGHT RETURNS is a step above stick figures..."

And I was a bit shocked, conversation and movement in the store just stopped, and everyone stopped moving and turned toward us!

It kind of reminded me of Harlan Ellison, telling how he was speaking in front of a crowd at a Star Trek convention in the late 1970's, talking about writing the dialogue for Spock in "City on the Edge of Forever" and some kid got up and started yelling at him he was a liar and to shut up, because Spock was real!
Reminding everyone that the word "fan" stems from fanatic, and some are immersed a bit too deeply in the fantasy entertainment they love. Or perhaps were already broken before they ever ventured into it.

That despite these are just bits of mere entertainment, it's still possible to step outside morays and orthodoxy of the subculture, and create an uproar by having views too far outside the mainstream. About a comic book!