Originally Posted By: the G-man
I wouldn't call [Peter] David overrated. Other than Hulk his rep as always been that of a solid if unspectacular writer and that is exactly what he is

David for me is a tolerably decent writer. I first discovered him in the mid-1980's writing SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN and at that time was generally unimpressed with his work. His stories had elements I liked, but he couldn't seem to bring it all together into a satisfying complete story.

David's best work for me was his HULK run, particularly the David/McFarlane issues, arguably the best work from both. I continued reading more sporadically as new pencillers took over, but never was into it like that first 15 or so issues (if I recall, 330-345).

The last thing I read by David was over 10 years ago, David's new CAPTAIN MARVEL series with artist Chris Cross. Nice art and good writing, but somehow not enough to hold my interest beyond 3 issues.

David and Perez's HULK: FUTURE IMPERFECT two-issue series, despite nice Perez art, royally sucked ass in the writing department. Annoying thug kids mouthing tough street-punk dialogue, and equally annoying made-up future-slang. Similar elements are what I dislike in most of David's work. I wouldn't call David a bad writer, but a little too modern/dark-age a writer for me, and despite often good prose, it's mixed with too many dark and offputting elements for me.