Originally Posted By: Pariah
ASUS Z97-DELUXE ATX DDR3 2600 LGA 1150 Motherboards Z97-DELUXE

Thumbs up for going with an ASUS, but why did you choose the Z97-Deluxe specifically? I'll agree that a Z97-based build will provide FAR more bang for your buck than a X99 build right now, but you could have gone with the Z97-A and saved a buttload of money or bought the Maximus Hero VII and saved less money but also gotten your hands on a few gamer-centric features.

The Hero is ROG (and comes with the ROG goodies) but the more expensive Deluxe is a workstation-esque motherboard with an extra Crossfire slot (which I'll get to). It seems like, considering something I'll get to later, the Hero would have been the better choice.

But I'll be the first to admit that I don't know everything about those two boards. Plus it sounds like you researched your purchases well, so my first sentence really is a question.

Intel Core i7-4790K Haswell Quad-Core 4.0GHz LGA 1150

Yes. This all day. There is no other choice.

(Except maybe an i5, which is better for gaming, but not better for anything else.)

Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory

What did you have before this build? How easy was it to enter XMP your RAM? I heard ASUS makes it very easy.

LG WH16NS40 Super Multi Blue Internal SATA 16x Blu-ray Disc Rewriter

An optical drive? In 2015? Bleh.

Honestly, I've been considering moving my old optical drive to my new build once I finally get my case, but I would have skipped it altogether if not for the fact that the case I want sports more bays than I'll ever need.

CORSAIR HX Series HX750 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD

This was why I asked about the motherboard. 3-way Crossfire would kick much ass, but I couldn't see doing it without a little more juice and a liquid cooling rig. Or maybe I'm just assuming AMDs generate more heat and need more power than they really do.

Anyway...

Sapphire Radeon VAPOR-X R9 290X 8GB GDDR5

I'm nVidia 4 LYF! but I still give much respect to AMD and what they've done with their cards. Plus, the 290X is killing it right now at its current price point. Please tell me you're planning to put multiple cards in Crossfire.

Rosewill Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case CHALLENGER-U3 Black

Rosewill is good stuff. They were on my short list.

One of the reasons I've got a hard-on for nVidia is because I never want to have to add another fan to another side panel. Ever. I hated that one power cable.

It sounded like you were running your desktop without the side fans. If so, how are your temperatures looking so far?

Acer S241HLbmid Black 24" 5ms HDMI Widescreen LED Backlight LCD Monitor

You bought a 290X and didn't go ultrawide or 1440p...or both? Seriously?

Feels like you're wasting that beautiful card's potential.

Logitech Speakers Z130

Cheapy $25 5-watt speakers. All I really need since I'm not a sound connoseiur.

Me neither. I end up splurging on headphones since I can't really play my media or games too loud otherwise.

Razer DeathAdder Chroma - Multi-Color Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Stealth Edition Elite Mechanical Gaming Keyboard

I've gotta ask: is the mechanical keyboard worth the premium? I've never used or even touched one, but everywhere I go, gamers are heralding mechanical keyboards as the way of future (the way of the future, the way of the future). Does it really improve things that much?