https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_Trap

Quote:
"The Man Trap"
DIRECTION AND FILMING

All previous episodes of Star Trek had overrun their filming schedules, and the producers were concerned that not enough time had been allotted to each production. Marc Daniels was recruited as director of "The Man Trap"; among his varied directing credits were episodes of I Love Lucy for Desilu Productions.[14][15] Pre-production began during the six scheduled filming days for "The Enemy Within",[13] but that episode ran long. Filming for "The Man Trap" commenced around 3:20 p.m. on June 22 and continued until 7:10 p.m.[16] Several futuristic-looking salt shakers were sourced for scenes in "The Man Trap", but due to concerns that they would not be recognized, they were instead used from "The Man Trap" onward as McCoy's tools in sickbay.[17]

The first full day of filming on June 23 was predominantly shot on the set representing the bridge of the Enterprise. Two small establishing shots were postponed until the filming of the next episode. The following day, corridor scenes were filmed, as was the climactic scene featuring the creature's death. At that point, Daniels estimated that he was only a third of a day behind schedule. After a break for the weekend, production resumed on June 27 for scenes in the botany lab, the briefing room and sickbay.[18] One of Grace Lee Whitney's favorite sets to work on throughout the series was the lab, which was the sickbay redecorated, as she enjoyed working with George Takei. The animated plant in that scene was a hand puppet controlled from under the table, and Whitney later recalled that the operator could see right up her skirt throughout the shoot and would occasionally try to grope her using the puppet.[19]

For the sickbay scenes when Spock bleeds, Daniels decided that Vulcans should have green blood.[18] Roddenberry disliked the idea and unsuccessfully attempted to have it corrected in post-production. By the end of the fifth day of shooting, Daniels estimated that he was now only half an hour behind schedule.[20] Days six and seven were spent on the sets used to show the surface of M-113; while the design of the planet did not match Johnson's vision, he was pleased with it nonetheless. The ruins were constructed out of cardboard boxes covered in gunite (a spray-on, cement-like product) to give them a rocky appearance. Production wrapped on June 30, at 2:55 p.m.[20] Bob Justman later referred to Daniels as the "savior" of the series for delivering "The Man Trap" on schedule,[14] and when the director for "The Naked Time" dropped out, Daniels took over and shot the episode back to back with "The Man Trap" a quarter of a day faster than the schedule.[14] By the end of the original series, Daniels had filmed more episodes than any other director.[19]

During the production of "The Man Trap", Daniels introduced a system in which actors unneeded on a shoot went to a "cast table" area to practice upcoming scenes rather than return to their dressing rooms. Producers felt that this both sped up the filming process and improved the quality of performances. The cast table system continued to be used throughout the production of the original series, even when Daniels was not directing.[14]

In post-production, Justman recommended adding an opening narration. Roddenberry agreed and wrote new lines for a Captain's log. Alexander Courage recorded the music for this episode on August 19,[21] the same day as the "Theme from Star Trek",[22] using a 25-piece orchestra.[21] While Roddenberry liked the theme, he hated the music created specifically for "The Man Trap". The optical effects were created more quickly than usual; Howard A. Anderson, Jr. took two months, three times faster than for some episodes. The overall production costs for "The Man Trap" came in under-budget at $185,401.[22]

It's amazing how many things that we envision as set in stone from the outset, actually gradually evolved randomly. Even Spock's having green blood was a random idea, and one that Gene Rodenberry strongly resisted.

Even the production selection of episodes, and even after shot and produced, they were not aired in the order of production. That selection as well seems to be random, and could have on a whim gone a lot of different ways.

One of the things about movies and television that surprised me when I first studied it is that movie scenes are not shot in the order that we see them. For time-efficiency, they break up the script and shoot all the bridge scenes at one time, all the hallway scenes at one time, all the sickbay scenes at one time, and all the down-on-the-planet scenes at one time, then edit them into the correct order in the final production.

By an odd coincidence, "The Man Trap" was the first episode of Star Trek I saw, and in its primetime re-run airing in 1969. I was 6 years old, and the creature scared me so I had difficulty sleeping that night. I read (I think in Allan Asherman's THE STAR TREK COMPENDIUM book) that "The Man Trap" was the last re-run episode aired in 1969 before the series was taken off the air, so it's possible I discovered Star Trek on its very last night of prime-time airing.

I watched the series in its entirety when it began in syndication in 1973-1974, I recall it came on about an hour or two after we got home from school. There was a then-new game show called Match Game, then an episode of Get Smart, then Star Trek, 5 days a week. And we were all glued to our sets when this stuff came on.

So I have a special attachment to "The Man Trap" episode. It was my introduction to the series. Interesting that it was the episode, of all initially produced, that its producers chose as the first to air, the one to introduce the series to the country in 1966.
And then the very last to air before the series ended its initial run in primetime in 1969.