Sen. Mike Lee promotes a debunked conspiracy theory about a Jan. 6 rioter
Kevin Lyons stole a photo and a wallet from Nancy Pelosi's office, but conservative figures are using a video of the Trump supporter to spread misinformation about Jan. 6.

“Nov. 20, 2023, 11:36 AM CST
By Ryan J. Reilly
WASHINGTON — A Republican senator said over the weekend that he planned to question the director of the FBI on whether a Trump supporter currently serving four years in federal prison is an undercover federal agent.

Sen. Mike Lee of Utah, a member of the Senate Judiciary Committee, promoted on his personal X account a conspiracy theory that one of the Jan. 6 videos released at the order of House Speaker Mike Johnson shows an undercover federal agent disguised as a Trump supporter.

“I can’t wait to ask FBI Director Christopher Wray about this at our next oversight hearing,” Lee wrote in a post on X, formerly known as Twitter, just before midnight on Saturday evening, re-sharing a post that suggested a man in a MAGA hat was actually an undercover federal agent. “I predict that, as always, his answers will be 97% information-free.”

In reality, the image Lee shared shows Jan. 6 defendant Kevin Lyons, a self-proclaimed “idiot” and Trump supporter who stole a framed photo of the late civil rights icon Rep. John Lewis and a staffer’s wallet from then-Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s office. The video shows that Lyons, as he's leaving the Capitol building, briefly shows his hands as a heavily armed tactical team comes inside the building to get control of the riot. Lyons is holding an item in his right hand. Conspiracy theorists claimed Lyons was holding a “badge," but the item appears to be a vape that Lyons was seen holding earlier in the day, although the quality of the footage makes that difficult to say with 100 percent certainty.

“I’m an idiot, I realize that,” Lyons said to a judge during his sentencing hearing in July, as NBC News reported. “I was stupid. I don’t know what came over me. ... I apologize to you, the country and my family.”

Federal Bureau of Prisons records show that Lyons is currently in federal custody, and is scheduled for release in 2027. Video that Lyons shot, previously released in connection with another Jan. 6 case, shows him pocketing a wallet he stole from a jacket inside Pelosi’s office.

As of Monday afternoon, Lee's post had not been taken down.“

There was a time not all that long ago someone like Lee would not have already taken his shameful accusation down but also apologized. The WB’s don’t want to hear that though. Republicans that don’t prop up the false narrative find themselves labeled a rino and primaried out. And of course the conservative media isn’t going to cover this. Just more accusations.

Fair play!