Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Ah. Never mind, I just read your post in the "New Take on a Character" thread... You answered me before I even asked! [biiiig grin] [yuh huh]

100+ posts
100+ posts
Right on.

[wink]

1000+ posts
1000+ posts
quote:
Originally posted by Poverty Lad:
Action Comics #1. I can't believe they blew up Krypton! And it was only one panel. [no no no] And not even a SPLASH page! what were those hacks, Seigel and Shuster thinking?!! [eh?]

Don't you just love sarcasm? [wink]

1 post
1 post
DKSA, hands down.

But just to be cantankerous, I'm going to give an honorable mention to Watchmen. It wasn't bad, by any means, but from what I had heard of it, I was expecting it to be jaw-dropping, edge-of-my-seat outstanding. It weren't.

1000+ posts
1000+ posts
I guess we could add The Man of Steel to this list.

It had some ideas I liked. The Kents living to see Clark become Superman? Not bad. Lana Lang as Clark's confidant? Cool. Superman's costume being normal fabric that can be damaged? Why not? It makes for a good visual when he goes head-to-head with Darkseid and Brainiac. Luthor as a businessman? Well...it was interesting at first, but boy, did it wear out it's welcome after the first few years of the revamp. It's STILL boring as all get-out. No distinction between Clark and Superman? Bad move. Clark doesn't have to be a nerdy wimp (the Alyn and Reeves versions weren't), but there needs to be SOME difference in the two personas. The treatment of Krypton? HATE IT. Superman's rejection of Krypton and assertion that only his humanity matters? Equally bad. He's supposed to be SUPERMAN, not superMAN or SUPERman. Swinging to one side at the expense of the other has always been a major mistake made with the character. This story was hardly the end-all be-all of Superman that fans claim it is.

The "Vampire Batman" Elseworlds stories were cack, too. Bad writing, bad art, some needlessly gory moments...did this really need to be made into a trilogy? Wouldn't one book have been enough?

Kevin Smith's Spider-Man/Black Cat book is a major disappointment, too. What was the point of even doing the mini-series when he wasn't going to finish it? He just left us hanging with Black Cat drugged and on the verge of being raped. Would it really have killed him to finish the story instead of leaving it hanging on a distasteful note?

"Hush" is a loser, too. Jeph Loeb USED to be a good writer. Why is he just coasting now?

JLA: Earth 2 had a good premise, but its conclusion was really wimpy and half-baked. Would it have been such a problem to have the two teams go at it in a full-scale battle instead of dishing up a such a flaccid finale? And couldn't we have gotten a better artist than Frank "I make sure everyone looks like wrinkled parade balloons" Quitely?

Again, there's more, but I won't bore you with them.

500+ posts
500+ posts
quote:
Originally posted by King Krypton:
And couldn't we have gotten a better artist than Frank "I make sure everyone looks like wrinkled parade balloons" Quitely?

That's IT! I've been trying to find a comparison to his art for awhile now, and that's the perfect one! Thanks!

1 post
1 post
Not to sound cliched - but that Dark Knight sequel has to top the list. There were so many reasons why it should have been good. What the hell happenend?

Origin was another - just wasn't interesting unfortunately for such an important story.

Other than that I think I got my biggest dissapointments on Legends of the Dark Knight. I really enjoy the title generally, so whenever a dud story pops up, it makes me cry.

oh and the old team leaving Batgirl has broken me completely.

1000+ posts
1000+ posts
quote:
Originally posted by woodstock:
quote:
Originally posted by King Krypton:
And couldn't we have gotten a better artist than Frank "I make sure everyone looks like wrinkled parade balloons" Quitely?

That's IT! I've been trying to find a comparison to his art for awhile now, and that's the perfect one! Thanks!
Well, I had a hard time trying to pinpoint what exactly his art looked like. Those who say Ed McGuinness draws an overly bulky Superman nave never seen Quitely's version. Or his Batman. Or his Martian Manhunter. Or his Lex Luthor. Or his X-Men. Seriously, they all look like wrinkled old baloons pumped to bursting with helium. I half expect them to burst on themselves at any second. And his women all have old-lady faces and ridiculously elongated legs. They look more like "tomboy beanpoles" than Bend It Like Beckham's Keira Knightley ever could.

You can't tell me there isn't better artistic talent out there for Morrison to ally himself with.

1000+ posts
1000+ posts
bump [wink]

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
quote:
Originally posted by therealdeadshot:
Mine was Jinx Treasure "something", I think it was edition. I wanted to try a Bendis story after all the fanboy praise and after reading it I was sure that I could have written AND drawn that piece of rubbish, it had the feel of being produced while the creator was incredibly bored.
I wasn't much into Powers either, so Bendis-books are now a definite must-not-buy each month.

The art on Jinx is horrid....I could spill ink on a piece of paper and do better! Did Rosarch draw it?
But the story itself was purty good!

1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Well, I got #2 of The Authority vol. 2 and I put it down three times before I got to the end because it was so bad.

Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
I actually threw bendis' Alias #1 away..only comic I ever threw out...it was a stinker..

I don't like Morrison's x-men much either..I like the concepts, but it fels like they aren't pulled off well or jumbled. And how can you "kill" magneto for a single issue shock and think it's a good thing.

The new Doom patrol was pathetic..what was DC thinking? And the art is pretty ugly. I sadly bought most of the issues...

Post-Stern, Jurgens Superman line books...mostly a waste of paper with a few decent stories thrown in.

The Once, and Future Cunt
15000+ posts
The Once, and Future Cunt
15000+ posts
quote:
Originally posted by Thriftshop Debutante:
What? Chris Claremont, author of the Dark Phoenix Saga, the Brood Saga, etc etc, is coming back to the X-men? All right!

"Revolution" - oy!

Claremont has been doing X-treme X-Men for a couple of years.

It's been good.

I don't think he ever stopped writing for an X-Book.

1 post
1 post
I don't think he was writing an X-Book when he did Sovereign 7

Tabarnak!
6000+ posts
Tabarnak!
6000+ posts
Right now I'm gonna say the whole "Graduation Day" thing....Whatthe hell are they thinking? Donna and Lilith get slaughtered for no appearant reason, and by the most unbelievable means imaginable. I think there was little or no thought put into this shit than " we gotta kill these chicks off"!

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
I think Chris bailed out on X-books back in 1991 after finishing the three-issue storyarc that opened the second X-MEN series. From where I sit, that's been the last good X-Men story he's told.

Chris's stuff on XXM is not among his better stuff.

But I'm not sure I can recall "my most disappointing read ever"...

--Jim

1000+ posts
1000+ posts
quote:
Originally posted by Pig Iron:
I actually threw bendis' Alias #1 away..only comic I ever threw out...it was a stinker..

Smartest move you could have made, dude. [biiiig grin]

quote:

I don't like Morrison's x-men much either..I like the concepts, but it fels like they aren't pulled off well or jumbled. And how can you "kill" magneto for a single issue shock and think it's a good thing.

Especially when the guy's only going to end up coming back in some way somewhere down the line....

quote:

Post-Stern, Jurgens Superman line books...mostly a waste of paper with a few decent stories thrown in.

Agreed. Stern and Jerry Ordway were the best post-Crisis Superman writers. The rest, Byrne included, have been forgettable. Kesel COULD have been just as good as Stern and Ordway, but Jurgens and company dragged him down like quicksand on a boulder.

living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
quote:
Originally posted by Archangel Paulus:

Maybe not, but he was definitely writing an X book when he was supposed to be writing Fantastic Four. . .

Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
quote:
Originally posted by Grimm:
quote:

Maybe not, but he was definitely writing an X book when he was supposed to be writing Fantastic Four. . .
LOL....true that... If it wasn't for the Larocca art it would have been unbearable..of course, I guess it was unbearable...

1000+ posts
1000+ posts
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Grimm:
quote:

LOL....true that... If it wasn't for the Larocca art it would have been unbearable..of course, I guess it was unbearable...
Yeah, I remember him complaining about not being allowed to have Kitty Pryde show up in Fantastic Four during his run. Talk about recycling your pet characters....

Your death will make me king!
15000+ posts
Your death will make me king!
15000+ posts
Gotta add the Superman issue where they revealed the true identity of the new General Z. After all that waiting, it was my biggest let down in a while.

1000+ posts
1000+ posts
quote:
Originally posted by Wednesday:
Gotta add the Superman issue where they revealed the true identity of the new General Z. After all that waiting, it was my biggest let down in a while.

Oh, Lord, don't remind us.... [eh?]

Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
Who is he anyway I forgot to check...shows my interest in the Supes titles..

1000+ posts
1000+ posts
quote:
Who is he anyway I forgot to check...shows my interest in the Supes titles..

Classic General Zod - a Kryptonian tyrant with a mad-on for Jor-El, gets locked up in the Phantom Zone

Current post-Crisis General Zod - some bitchy Russian cosmonaut who had plastic surgery done "at the genetic level" so he'd look like Superman and have his powers, and simply hates Superman because he's a nice guy

Ask yourself this: Which version sounds cooler? I vote for the classic Zod.

Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
Yeah I know classic zod, and I did read OWAW...but a genetically engineered cosmonaut???

1000+ posts
1000+ posts
quote:
Yeah I know classic zod, and I did read OWAW...but a genetically engineered cosmonaut???

Yup. Kilgore's been making jokes at this new Zod's expense like crazy lately.

And with good reason...the new Zod is STUPID! [no no no] Gimme the crazy Kryotinian dictator any day.

1000+ posts
1000+ posts
Quote:

AlienRay said:
DKSA, hands down.

But just to be cantankerous, I'm going to give an honorable mention to Watchmen. It wasn't bad, by any means, but from what I had heard of it, I was expecting it to be jaw-dropping, edge-of-my-seat outstanding. It weren't.

I felt the same way about reading Watchmen for the first time. I recently took a comic literature class where Watchmen was discussed, and from the class discussions and checking out web sites about the book, I REALLY appreciated it the second time.

Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Here's my picks...

Devin Grayson's Teen Titans run
Jay Faerber's Teen Titans run
The Last Laugh
The Millenium Giants arc in the Superman books
Genesis- what in the name of God was Byrne on?
Stan Lee's Just Imagine- I stopped after the third one, Superman, I think. 'Course, I suspected it might be bad after reading the Batman one. I mean, you would've thought Stan Lee would know by now that pro wrestling is fake!

Knutreturns said: Spoken like the true Greatest RDCW Champ!

All hail King Snarf!

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Geoff Johns

Bow ties are coool.
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Anything that Paul Levitz wrote.

"I offer you a Vulcan prayer, Mr Suder. May your

death bring you the peace you never found in

life." - Tuvok.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:
Geoff Johns

cookie monster
7500+ posts
cookie monster
7500+ posts
Anything in the last 10 years that has Jeph Loeb's name on it. Hush (which started out as a kinda cool idea only to turn into a fanboy wankfest with a deus ex machina ending. Bleh.) and the 25+ issues of Superman/Batman immediately spring to mind.

Dear, sweet Harley Kwink...I'm madly in love with you. Marry me! We can go to Canadia. Or Boston or something. It'll be grand...You know the cookies are a given. They are ALWAYS a given. You could dump me tomorrow and you'd still get the cookies. Boston..shit, wherever dyke weddings were legalized. And where better to rub their little piggie noses in how bad they suck than right on their doorstep? What are they gonna do? Be jealous of you? Stare furiously at your tah-tahs? Not willingly give you cookies, but instead begrudgingly give you their cookies? Woman, time to wake up to the powers you wield - Uschi

Banned from the DCMBs since 2002.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I generally have lowered expectations to mainstream superheroics, but there are nonetheless a few that stand out in my mind:

1. the guide to Wanted. Millar wrote a great story awhich was more or less What if the Secret Society of Supervillains won in the DCU? But Image Comics being Image Comics, they couldn't help themselves and published a really, really crappy guide to go with it. It sucked and I binned it.

2. the ending to The Losers. One of the appeals of this book was its nod to reality: the opening caper by which the team steal a big helicopter was ruthless in its precision and could have come straight from a KGB manual. It was one fo the best thought-out stories I've ever read. But then the ending... a remarkable geological event creates a new island in the Persian Gulf? An oil rig manages to stay upright on it? And a CIA madman claims it as a sovereign country? The series jumped the shark at that point.

3. the involvement of Tom Strong and other ABC characters in the climax of Promethea. Even Alan Moore succumbs to temptation to create a crossover to lift sales. Pah.

And I generally think its a cop-out to depict the president of the US as not being George Bush. The Losers has some grey-haired portly chap who authorised Max to keep the world safe for democracy: the final issues of Millar's Authority had a balding man who had Seth shacked up in the White house with underaged kids as sex toys. Only Ultimates has Bush as President, and they do it well.

Pimping my site, again.

http://www.worldcomicbookreview.com

Living the dream
15000+ posts
Living the dream
15000+ posts
The ending to the Ezekiel story in Amazing Spider-Man.

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Quote:

First Amongst Daves said:
And I generally think its a cop-out to depict the president of the US as not being George Bush. The Losers has some grey-haired portly chap who authorised Max to keep the world safe for democracy: the final issues of Millar's Authority had a balding man who had Seth shacked up in the White house with underaged kids as sex toys. Only Ultimates has Bush as President, and they do it well.

I think it was Bush originally. Remember that arc was written pre-9/11 but published immediately afterward and DC heavily edited it and even created a filler-arc to allow the finale issues to be re-done.
I think in general its also avoided because it can date the book and also may seem politically biased if any criticism is shown.

Bow ties are coool.
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
I'll have to go with AMAZING SPIDERMAN 289, the issue where, after years of dramatic build-up, they finally reveal who the Hobgoblin is, and none of the clues add up to the person they reveal.

Rip off !

Tom Defalco was the writer, and I don't recall the art team, but it was nothing the slightest bit outstanding.

To fully understand the incredible anti-climactic suckery this issue presents, you need to read AMAZING SPIDERMAN 238-250 to see how well the mystery, suspense and clues were developed and how thoroughly readers were cheated when issue 289 came out.

Inglourious Basterd!!!
15000+ posts
Inglourious Basterd!!!
15000+ posts
Quote:

Wonder Boy said:
I'll have to go with AMAZING SPIDERMAN 289, the issue where, after years of dramatic build-up, they finally reveal who the Hobgoblin is, and none of the clues add up to the person they reveal.

Rip off !

Tom Defalco was the writer, and I don't recall the art team, but it was nothing the slightest bit outstanding.

To fully understand incredible anti-climactic suckery this issue presents, you need to read AMAZING SPIDERMAN 238-250 to see how well the mystery, suspense and clues were developed and how thoroughly readers were cheated when issue 289 came out.

Didn't they admit they fucked up years later and release either a mini-series or a storyline where they correct the mistake? Only no one bought it...?

(I never read Spider-Man but I remember the "reveal" occuring in Spider-Man vs Wolverine...)

Uschi said:
I won't rape you, I'll just fuck you 'till it hurts and then not stop and you'll cry.

MisterJLA: RACKS so hard, he called Jim Rome "Chris Everett." In Him, all porn is possible. He is far above mentions in so-called "blogs." RACK him, lest ye be lost!

"I can't even brush my teeth without gagging!" - Tommy Tantillo: Wank & Cry, heckpuppy, and general laughingstock

[Linked Image from i6.photobucket.com]
cookie monster
7500+ posts
cookie monster
7500+ posts
Quote:

I generally have lowered expectations to mainstream superheroics, but there are nonetheless a few that stand out in my mind:

1. the guide to Wanted. Millar wrote a great story awhich was more or less What if the Secret Society of Supervillains won in the DCU? But Image Comics being Image Comics, they couldn't help themselves and published a really, really crappy guide to go with it. It sucked and I binned it.

I'm not a Millar fan, but I loved Wanted That said, I didn't even know that they had put out a guide. WTF for? It was a miniseries - seriously, what was the point of a guide? It just sounds stupid.

Quote:

Only Ultimates has Bush as President, and they do it well.

Agreed.

Oh, and don't ask me which issue it was that revealed that Jason Todd was alive (can't remember, exactly which one), but that's pretty much up there too. Oh, and Judd Winick's everything.

Dear, sweet Harley Kwink...I'm madly in love with you. Marry me! We can go to Canadia. Or Boston or something. It'll be grand...You know the cookies are a given. They are ALWAYS a given. You could dump me tomorrow and you'd still get the cookies. Boston..shit, wherever dyke weddings were legalized. And where better to rub their little piggie noses in how bad they suck than right on their doorstep? What are they gonna do? Be jealous of you? Stare furiously at your tah-tahs? Not willingly give you cookies, but instead begrudgingly give you their cookies? Woman, time to wake up to the powers you wield - Uschi

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
Quote:

Joe Mama said:
Quote:

Wonder Boy said:

Rip off !

To fully understand the incredible anti-climactic suckery this issue presents, you need to read AMAZING SPIDERMAN 238-250 to see how well the mystery, suspense and clues were developed and how thoroughly readers were cheated when issue 289 came out.

Didn't they admit they fucked up years later and release either a mini-series or a storyline where they correct the mistake? Only no one bought it...?

(I never read Spider-Man but I remember the "reveal" occuring in Spider-Man vs Wolverine...)

A few of us discussed this awhile back in the Biggest WTF in Comics topic, pages 3 and 4, and I showed some of the issue covers discussed.

I'd be curious to see the SPIDERMAN VS WOLVERINE issues, if there were Hobgoblin developments there. Especially if they were better handled than the disappointing attempts I've seen !

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:
Quote:

I think it was Bush originally. Remember that arc was written pre-9/11 but published immediately afterward and DC heavily edited it and even created a filler-arc to allow the finale issues to be re-done.
I think in general its also avoided because it can date the book and also may seem politically biased if any criticism is shown.

That's true, but if you're going to degrade the office, you may as well have the balls to degrade the office holder.

Pimping my site, again.

http://www.worldcomicbookreview.com

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard