Quote:
Darknight613 said:
Are there any more Chanukkah related comic book stories out there? Wasn't there a Batman story in a holiday issue a few years back?

In MARVEL HOLIDAY SPECIAL 1993, a story has Doc Sampson from HULK telling a group of Jewish kids the story of Chanukkah.
(not a great Channukah story, but it's the only one I can think of right now. If I can think of others, I'll mention them later).

I have the MARVEL HOLIDAY SPECIAL issues from 1991 and 1993 (both with poster-worthy Arthur Adams wraparound covers).

The 1993 one has slightly better stories. A Wolverine story by Michael Golden, a Spiderman story by Stan Lee/Steve Lightle, a Thanos story by Starlin/Lim/Austin, and a Daredevil story by Nocenti/Grindberg, among others.

The 1996 one has much better printing, and a good Spiderman story by Waid/Olliffe/Breeding. (Mark Waid seems to have been a driving force in creating Christmas specials at both Marvel and DC in the 80's and 90's.)
The 1996 issue also has a story with Kitty Pryde (who is portrayed as Jewish) that is a preachy story about a church-burning, and she briefly mentions she is home visiting her family for Chanukkah.

X-MEN 143 (in my opening post) also briefly mentions that Kitty is Jewish, and sees her parents over the holidays.

Some interesting non-Chanukkah stories that touch on Judaism:
  • BATMAN 237. A story involving Jewish holocaust survivors tracking Nazi war criminals, who Batman stumbles on at a Halloween costume party, at a rural mansion in Rutland, Vermont. With guest appearances by many real-world fans and comics creators, including New York Comic Con promoter Tom Fagan, Dennis O'Neil, Cary Bates, Berni Wrightson and Gerry Conway.

FANTASTIC FOUR 56 That, bizarrely, after 41 years since the FF first appeared, suddenly reveals Ben Grimm is Jewish. Grimm visits the rough neighborhood of Yancy street, and meets an old Jewish shopkeeper he knew growing up, who is threatened by anti-semitic violence.

And also the X-MEN: GOD LOVES, MAN KILLS Marvel Graphic novel from 1983, by Chris Claremont and Brent Anderson. Where hatred toward mutants is used as an allegory to other types of racism, and it is revealed that Magneto's family was killed by the Nazis.