Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Vol.2 is apparently available in June!

Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Heh....we're getting Season One boxset in June. Guess the US market will always be a year behind for this new series.......dammit...

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Funnily enough, I was talking to an old school friend of mine today and she (yes she) is a major Who fan!
She loves her sci fi stuff so its no real surprise, but we did have a good discussion about Who!

She fully agrees about "The Baker" being the best Doctor and liked the new Tennant episode, and maybe just maybe she has persuaded me to give the Ecclestone series a try despite the fact I have never really liked him.
At least the box set is affordable & the individual DVDs prolly work out cheaper, so it wouldnt be too much of a loss if I dont like it!

Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Man, give Eccleston a shot with an open mind. Watch the season as a whole, then decide whether you like him or not. He's pretty damn cool as The Doctor. He's the darkest one, if nothing else.

See, I'm still unsure whether I like Tennant all that much. He's cool and all. But, I just can't get a feel for his goofy "happiness". But, shit, I've only seen three episodes. So, he's still got plenty of room to grow on me. Not to mention, I hate Russel Davies scripts. So, seeing him written by someone else might change my mind...

living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
Eccleston's really good. I don't think I'm going to care for Tennant as much. his version just seems too "Davison" so far.

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
See I liked the fact that Tennant has this kinda happy wackyness, but at the same time is a bit of a vicious bastard who also plays great mind games.
The way he killed that alien dude in the christmas episode was quite vicious & the trick he played on the prime minister showed what a great manipulator he is!

I think he is very much a guy who you might think twice about crossing, and you'd never fully trust him!
Of course I havent had a chance to see the new episodes so I dont know if they have expanded on this more!

Oh, and I did watch a bit of an Eccleston episode a month or two ago, but I couldnt really judge it as I only tuned in half way through, and it was mostly about Rose (she was having sex with a Dalek).

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Oh, and fuck off telling me what to do you cunts!

Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Okay, so you know how I said 'Tooth & Claw' was good? And how I was praising it for feeling like old Who?

Well, it's a damn good episode. No doubt. But, I just watched 'School Reunion'.

I'm certain there was a plot in there. But, I simply ignored it. I ignored Rose, and Mickey as well. Because this was the one where we get to meet up with two old friends: Sarah-Jane Smith and K-9.

It was incredible. I mean moving. Will new fans that never experienced the old stuff get as much of a charge off of it? Maybe. Maybe not. But, this was the tribute. This is what I've been waiting for. This was the bow to the old series.

It wasn't just "Oh hey, old companion appears." It was all ABOUT tying up old loose ends. About old friends meeting again. And, it gave the most popular companion of the old series...the one that stayed longer than any other single companion (5 years)...her proper due. Her proper story. Her justified final hurrah.

I have to say, just because she and Tom were the duo that originally got me into the show when I was six, it was like coming home. I haven't felt as happy, or as thrilled, or as emotionally moved with this new series as I was with this episode.

This episode gave me what I've been missing. This is the one that made me a kid again.

My GOD it fucking rocks. Anthoney Stewart-Head (Giles from BUFFY) plays his role so superbly. I'll go ahead and spoil it by saying, he's not The Master. But, just watching him the entire time.....he DAMN well should be. Russel Davies will be commiting the most heinous crime if he doesn't rethink this aspect. Head's character would be the perfect Master. Period. The end. No debate.

It's right. It's good. It's satisfying from beginning to end. I simply cannot say enough good things about it. In the end, this is for us old schoolers. As it should be...

Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Quote:

Grimm said:
Eccleston's really good. I don't think I'm going to care for Tennant as much. his version just seems too "Davison" so far.

Actually, I thought so as well with The Christmas Invasion. But, I have to say, he gets better. Especially once RTD stops writing the scripts. I think you'll dig it...

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Did you ever see the K9 tv series?

Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
No, I steered away from that one. Even though I wanted to put my dick into Lis Sladen...

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Can't wait to see the return of Sarah! Prom pretty much summed up my feelings. I liked how she left in the original series getting dropped off in the wrong part of town. Even though she had been around for a long time, I still missed her. Leela & Romana were very cool but they weren't cute.

Fair play!
The Once, and Future Cunt
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

Prometheus said:
Okay, so you know how I said 'Tooth & Claw' was good? And how I was praising it for feeling like old Who?

I'm certain there was a plot in there. But, I simply ignored it. I ignored Rose, and Mickey as well. Because this was the one where we get to meet up with two old friends: Sarah-Jane Smith and K-9.

It was incredible. I mean moving. Will new fans that never experienced the old stuff get as much of a charge off of it? Maybe. Maybe not. But, this was the tribute. This is what I've been waiting for. This was the bow to the old series.

It wasn't just "Oh hey, old companion appears." It was all ABOUT tying up old loose ends. About old friends meeting again. And, it gave the most popular companion of the old series...the one that stayed longer than any other single companion (5 years)...her proper due. Her proper story. Her justified final hurrah.

I have to say, just because she and Tom were the duo that originally got me into the show when I was six, it was like coming home. I haven't felt as happy, or as thrilled, or as emotionally moved with this new series as I was with this episode.

This episode gave me what I've been missing. This is the one that made me a kid again.

My GOD it fucking rocks. Anthoney Stewart-Head (Giles from BUFFY) plays his role so superbly. I'll go ahead and spoil it by saying, he's not The Master. But, just watching him the entire time.....he DAMN well should be. Russel Davies will be commiting the most heinous crime if he doesn't rethink this aspect. Head's character would be the perfect Master. Period. The end. No debate.

It's right. It's good. It's satisfying from beginning to end. I simply cannot say enough good things about it. In the end, this is for us old schoolers. As it should be...

I pointed out to Roy he could BE the Master. I mean Master - "Head"master.

Sex Offender Since 1978
3000+ posts
Sex Offender Since 1978
3000+ posts
Quote:

Ultimate Jaburg53 said:
Quote:

Prometheus said:

I pointed out to Roy he could BE the Master. I mean Master - "Head"master.

Thats Balloonknot Roy, Not Roy Batty

I brew beer now. Brewing beer is cool.

THE Franta
3000+ posts
THE Franta
3000+ posts
Quote:

Prometheus said:
Quote:

Franta said:
Pro email me

Done and done, mother...

didnt get it

YOU PUT SOUP IN IT!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

Grimm said:

I think Tennant is wearing Davison's sneakers.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts

living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
I hope they're clean.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Well, the last one to wear them was Colin Baker, so, who knows with that crazy bitch?

Jaburg : You know Roy Batty?? Anyway, yeah, their whole conversation at the pool was v-e-r-y Doctor/Master-like in content. He needs to be The Master. He was just too damn cool, and simply dominated the screen.

BTW, did you notice the very Baker-ish, alien stare Tennant gave Sarah right after she first sees the TARDIS? Man, he was just pure Tom Baker in that moment. I'm certain it was intended that way, as well.

Fuck, I'm going to have to watch it again now...

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
You masturbate over this programme dont you (and I am not talking about the female assistants either)?

Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Yes!

......I mean.........................................YES!!!

living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts

Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
I finally saw season one, and I was pleasantly surprised. I saw the first episode a while ago and was kind of underwhelmed. I admit, I didn't give it a fair chance then. My favorite episodes were probably The End of the World and The Empty Child. I actually didn't think the Russel Davis eps were all that bad. It was the soap opera-y stuff that irritated me, as it really seemed to interrupt the flow of the series at times. I didn't care for the Father's Day one at all.

My first impression of Christopher Eccleston was that he was a bit goofy. He definitely seemed to be trying to imitate Tom Baker; not that that's necessarily a bad thing. However, he really grew on me as the season progressed. He was actually pretty intense at times, which I suppose you could say makes him a good "modern" Doctor Who(this being an era of gritty cop shows and such). I was sad to see him go.

The character I was never terribly interested in was Rose. Not to sound like Pariah, but I didn't think she was overly attractive, either(cute, but a little...odd looking, facially). I just never bought her as a companion. At least, not one that the doctor would go out of his way to drag along. That's an issue I've had with many of the show's previous incarnations, however. I understand that to create conflict in the stories, the Doctor needs someone to get into trouble so he can save and banter with them, but it never seemed plausible that the Doctor would willingly take along someone who would be such a hindrance. At least a character like Romana(who the Doctor did not accept willingly as a companion) was actually somewhat useful, or "qualified" as an assistant.

MisterJLA is RACKing awesome.
Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
The Empty Child/Doctor Dances is perhaps my favorite story of Season One.

Yeah, it took me a bit to warm up to Eccleston. I think because he doesn't come in and let you gradually accept him. He just comes IN, and MAKES you accept that he's The Doctor. And, I love that his goofyness is merely a facade for a deeper pain (I won't SPOILERS it for anyone who hasn't seen Season One yet).

As for Rose, I understand where you're coming from. Romana, Leela, Ace, K-9, and Liz Shaw have been the most "useful" companions. But, I guess the common consensus is that women like Sarah-Jane and Rose are the "best" companions for The Doc. Just dumb enough to ask "what?", but, just smart enough to keep up with him when needed. And, I thought the actress did a great job, personally. But, yeah, there were times when she got a bit tired for me. Sometimes I was wanting more focus on The Doctor, and less on the Perils of Pauline-Rose, you know?

I can understand your dislike of 'Father's Day'. It's very, very un-Who like. However, I'll take soap-opera pathos over RTD's overly silly 'Whedon-esque' moments of flamboyance (burping trashcans, farting aliens, constant gratuitous homosexual innuendo, etc.). That's just me.

Glad you likes it. Give Tennant a shot. He grows on you...

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Quote:

Prometheus said:
I can understand your dislike of 'Father's Day'. It's very, very un-Who like. However, I'll take soap-opera pathos over RTD's overly silly 'Whedon-esque' moments of flamboyance (burping trashcans, farting aliens, constant gratuitous homosexual innuendo, etc.). That's just me.

Yeah, the killer trashcan bit was easily the show's lamest moment. Even Stephen King would have been embarrassed by that. Davies can get a bit too cute at times.

However, I really enjoyed the second episode of the season. It did have an eye-rollingly inconvenient set of giant spinning fans(a major rip out of the action sequence cliche book, and a big pet peeve of mine), but it didn't have as many of the "Whedon-esque" quirks, and the funny moments it did have were much more in line with traditional Who comedy. I couldn't help but crack a smile when the Doctor greeted all the other attending aliens with the gift of "air from my lungs". The side-characters were interesting, the premise was clever, and the revelation at the end was probably the single most important event in the show in that it completely changed the Doctor's role in the larger scheme of things.

That was the episode that made me reconsider my initial stance on both Eccleston and the direction of the series in general.

Quote:

Glad you likes it. Give Tennant a shot. He grows on you...

Just finished downloading the first three episodes of the new season(and the Christmas Invasion). Anything to put off studying for finals!

MisterJLA is RACKing awesome.
Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
End of the World was, indeed, my second favorite story of Season One. It was very, very inspired by Douglas Adams era of Who, with the dialogue alone. And, yeah, it gut punches you in the end.

You also may want to look for something called "Children In Need" special. It's a small, seven-to-ten minute "in-between" prelude that starts up two seconds after Season One, and ends about two seconds before "The Christmas Invasion". It's the Doctor getting used to his new body, and Rose trying to grasp what's happened to him. It's not essential, but, it's fun to watch...

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Teeth!

Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
"Hair! I've got hair! .....ooh, big hair..."

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Am I ginger?
I've always wanted to be ginger!

Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
"Witchcraft!"

"...Time Lord."

15000+ posts
15000+ posts

living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
Quote:

Ultimate Jaburg53 said:

now that's just creepy.

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
GIRLS ON THE MOTHERFUCKING FIREPLACE!

Sex Offender Since 1978
3000+ posts
Sex Offender Since 1978
3000+ posts

Here it IS, The New episode. Have fun you cunts.

I brew beer now. Brewing beer is cool.

100+ posts
100+ posts
Quote:

Balloon Knot said:

Here it IS, The New episode. Have fun you cunts.

Thanks again ...

Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Awesome!!

The Girl in the Fireplace was a fucking incredible piece of Who. Moffat (the writer) should just be named the head writer on this series, and get it over with. His episodes always stand head and shoulders above the rest. His two parter from last season was my favorite of Eccleston's run. This one was so fucking good, I dread the idea that the rest of the season will be weak in comparison.

This one definitely gets a full "10" rating...

15000+ posts
15000+ posts

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
When did Iron Man appear in Doctor Who?

300+ posts
300+ posts
You know that a big picture headline of the Cybermen is a bit of a spoiler for those of us in America who are still watching season one.

I am a man with needs. Rack JLA!!!
Page 11 of 137 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 136 137

Link Copied to Clipboard