Print Thread
Page 15 of 137 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 136 137
Balloon Knot #480344 2006-07-02 4:42 PM
Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Man, I actually liked it! Sure, it had RTD's by-the-numbers feel. But, in the end, it was fun. Can't WAIT for the next episode...

1000+ posts
1000+ posts
Oh my GOD. I agree with Pro, this two parter looks set to unseat Remembrance of the Daleks as my all-time favourite story. Cybermen+Daleks+lots of Torchwood-shaped cannon fodder=So many stars your head explodes.

And yes, it was RTD by numbers, but what numbers!

OOK OOK ACK EEK!
Sex Offender Since 1978
3000+ posts
Sex Offender Since 1978
3000+ posts
Quote:

Prometheus said:
Man, I actually liked it! Sure, it had RTD's by-the-numbers feel. But, in the end, it was fun. Can't WAIT for the next episode...

It was alright, It's just that With that many components going on in the episode I feel It could of been a lot better.

I brew beer now. Brewing beer is cool.

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/5146666.stm

Quote:

Doctor Who's next assistant named

See the new assistant
Newcomer Freema Agyeman is to take over from Billie Piper in the third series of Doctor Who, it has been revealed.

Agyeman, 27, will play Martha Jones in the next run of the drama, due to start filming in Cardiff this summer.

Regular viewers saw her in last week's episode where she played Adeola, a minor character who suffered at the hands of the Cybermen.

The current series of Doctor Who finishes on BBC One this Saturday and sees Piper leaving the show.

"When I first saw Freema Agyeman she had come in to audition for the part of Adeola in series two," said executive producer and writer Russell T Davies.

I've been keeping this secret from my friends for months
Freema Agyeman
"Watching her during filming confirmed what an exciting new talent she was, so under cover of darkness we called her back in to audition with David [Tennant] for the role of the new companion.

"It was an immediate and sensational combination."

Previous roles

Agyeman has previously been seen as Lola Wise in the soap Crossroads, and has had small parts in Casualty and The Bill.

The London-born actress was one of several names rumoured for the Doctor Who role, including singer Rachel Stevens and former Eastenders star Michelle Ryan.

"I've been keeping this secret from my friends for months," said Agyeman. "It's been driving me mad."

"It still hasn't quite sunk in, I'm sure it will slam home first day on set when I'm stood gazing at David Tennant."

Although she has now officially joined the cast, producers say Agyeman will not be featured in this year's Christmas edition of Doctor Who.

"We've got another surprise in store for that," said Davies.

Exit

Piper, the Doctor's current companion, revealed she was leaving the programme last month.

The BBC had refused to comment on reports that her character, Rose Tyler, dies in the final episode of the series.

However, last week's episode opened with a voice-over from the character saying: "This is the story of how I died."

Piper, 23, is currently filming a BBC adaptation of Philip Pullman's Victorian thriller The Ruby in the Smoke.

"Billie rightly built up an amazing fan base and she will be missed," said Agyeman, "but I hope the fans are willing to go on new adventures with me."

Dont say I dont give you monkeys anything!

The Once, and Future Cunt
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
She's pretty hot

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Just wondering, as I aint as "geeky" as you lot, but is she the first non-white assistant (not including K9)?

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
About time the Doctor had a black assistant.

"I offer you a Vulcan prayer, Mr Suder. May your

death bring you the peace you never found in

life." - Tuvok.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Just saw the episodes with Captain Jack in them. I was shocked they actually did a bisexual companion. I'll have to check out the whole Torchwood series when it comes out.

Fair play!
Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Yeah, read about "Martha Jones" during the holiday. Got to say, I could care less what her nationality is, as long as she's a good actress, not annoying, and hot. She already fits at least one of those criteria...

But, please! "Martha Jones"?? Have they run out of fucking names across the pond? Could they have BEEN more bland about it?

living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
Quote:

Prometheus said:
Yeah, read about "Martha Jones" during the holiday. Got to say, I could care less what her nationality is, as long as she's a good actress, not annoying, and hot. She already fits at least one of those criteria...

But, please! "Martha Jones"?? Have they run out of fucking names across the pond? Could they have BEEN more bland about it?

Nida Zbinden?

Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
THANK YOU!!

All it takes is a little creativity....

and a little pot

Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Quote:

Prometheus said:

Which Justice League book was that cover from?

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Quote:

Prometheus said:

I'd have named her Luwanda May Johnson. I like that name . If not that, then maybe Latisha Mathews...

Wonder if there'll ever be a black Doctor? That would be awesome.

life." - Tuvok.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
As long as it's a good actor, I don't see why not. But, he would HAVE to be damn good. Otherwise, he would simply go down in history as "The black Doctor". And that would be limiting and unfair...

living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
Avery Brooks. I know he's not british, but,. . .fuck it. he'd be good.

living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
Quote:

Prometheus said:
THANK YOU!!

and a little pot

although sometimes. . .just sometimes. . .I think you get a little too creative with names. . .

Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Quote:

Prometheus said:
As long as it's a good actor, I don't see why not. But, he would HAVE to be damn good. Otherwise, he would simply go down in history as "The black Doctor". And that would be limiting and unfair...

Now there's an image in my brain of the guy from the Tangueray commercials riding around in the TARDIS.

Knutreturns said: Spoken like the true Greatest RDCW Champ!

All hail King Snarf!

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Quote:

Grimm said:
Avery Brooks. I know he's not british, but,. . .fuck it. he'd be good.

I agree! He was fantastic as Captain Sisko in DS 9.

life." - Tuvok.

living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
I've seen it on occasion. he was always one of the best things about it.

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Fuck off Star Trek wankers!
Fuck off and stay in America!
Fuck off before I kill Leonard Nimoy!

100+ posts
100+ posts
Quote:

Balloon Knot said:

MotherFucker
Cunt
Shit
Piss
Fuck

Thanks for that.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Quote:

Grimm said:
Quote:

Prometheus said:
THANK YOU!!

and a little pot

although sometimes. . .just sometimes. . .I think you get a little too creative with names. . .

You're just being limiting and unfair!

("Nida", I'll give you...sounds like an olive, or something. But "Zbinden" is an actual name from an actual girl I know. Don't blame me! Blame reality! I do...)

Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Quote:

Nowhereman said:
Fuck off and stay in America!
Fuck off before I kill Leonard Nimoy!

Star Trek RULES YOU!!

....except for 'Voyager'. That was shite...

15000+ posts
15000+ posts

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Quote:

Ultimate Jaburg53 said:

Thank you, UJ!! I knew I couldn't have been the ONLY one here who has long wanted to see a scene like that one pictured above....with The 4 th Doctor on the bridge of the Enterprise 1710 D, sharing jelly babies with Captain Picard....

Imagine the dialogue between Data and K - 9!!

K - 9 : " What form of life are you?"

Data : " My name is Commander Data. I am an android. An artificial being created to resemble a human."

K- 9 : " I am K - 9. I am a robotic dog. I am the Doctor's assistant. You will back off and allow me to make the nessecary repairs to the console."

Data : " That would not be acceptable. You are not authorized to make any repairs to this ship."

K - 9 : ( extends his nose ray gun and assumes a defensive posture. )

" I am K - 9, I am an expert at making repairs to machinery. Retreat, retreat!"

At this point, the 4 th Doctor, portrayed by Tom Baker enters the bridge.

Doctor : " K - 9, what's going on then?"

K - 9 : " Master, I am attemping to make repairs to this android named Commander Data's damaged console, and he is resisting."

Doctor : " K - 9, don't be rude. This is Commander Data's ship. I assume that, being an artificial form of life, that he is just as adept as you are at repairing damaged machines. Put your weapon away and apologize to Commander Data."

K - 9 reluctantly withdraws his ray weapon, says, " I am sorry, Commander Data.", lowers his head, makes a sad sound and slowly backs away from Commander Data.

Commander Data : " K - 9 appears to be sad now because you would not allow him to be helpful."

Doctor : " He'll get over it. Would you like a jelly baby?"

The Doctor produces a bag of jelly babies from hi pocket and offers them to Data.

Data picks on e up, and stares at it.

Commnader Data : " Ah...sugared confection. Humans find these quite appealing. I, however, being an android, do not comsume such things. Thank you, but no thank you."

The Doctor notices Counselor Troi has entered the room.

The Doctor : " Hello, young lady, would you like a jelly baby?" He asks her as he points the bag in her direction.

She just looks at the bag with a look of curiousity.

Commander Data : " They are sugared confection, Counselor. You have demonstrated a fondness for chocolate and sugared confections."

Counselor Troi : " Oh, thank you! she says as she smiles and reaches into the bag, pulling out a few of them and eating one while holding the other jelly babies in her hand. The Doctor smiles that ever popular toothy grin of his.

Worf enters the room.

The Doctor offers the candy to him.

Worf : " I prefer Gagh! I do NOT eat candy. It is too sweet!"

The Doctor turns to Counselor Troi, who wears a bit of a smirk after hearing Worf's remark.

The Doctor : " What is Gagh?"

Counselor Troi : " Worf is Klingon. It is live baby eels. On his homeworld, Gagh is considered a delicasy."

The Doctor : " That sounds nasty."

The Doctor spots Geordi LaForge, rushes after him and offers him a jelly baby.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

That is how THAT might go...and imagine if the Lost In Space Robot was there, too!!

Robot : " Danger, Captain Picard, an alien intruder is present aboard the Enterprise! Danger!"

Cool.......Sorry, I'm just geeking out over these possibilities!!

life." - Tuvok.

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Just watched the last two episodes back to back, and it surprised me that nobody mentioned:

In Army of ghosts, the girl the Cyberman control is the new assisant!

In Fear her, The Doctor mentions that he was a father once.

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Quote:

Nowhereman said:
Just watched the last two episodes back to back, and it surprised me that nobody mentioned:

In Army of ghosts, the girl the Cyberman control is the new assisant!

In Fear her, The Doctor mentions that he was a father once.

In the VERY first episode, back in 1963 , called An Unearthly Child, the first Doctor travels with his grand daughter, Susan..so, it was established at the VERY start of the series that the Doctor had fathered at least one child.

life." - Tuvok.

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Not really.
Was it ever said that she actually was a blood relative?
Also, was it ever mentioned again after this?

I tend to think that whole grandaughter thing was glossed over as time went on as I dont believe the Doctor was much more than an old man when they first created Doctor Who.
Most of the Doctor Who origins came later!

Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Good point on both fronts. I usually talk serious Who on other boards, as, normally, no one on here gives a shit. But, if you want to talk some Who...

-Yeah, I knew that they were double-casting. It's not without precedence, though. Look at Brigadier, Romana II, and even the 6th Doctor. All appeared on the series as other characters before being cast as the ones we know them for. So, it doesn't really bother me. Besides, she had about five minutes of air time, and maybe three lines before she got Cyberized. So, I'll judge her when she becomes the "Martha" character.

-In Eccleston's episode "The Empty Child", a character comments with the line "Before this war I was a father, and a grandfather." The Doctor replied "I know what you mean...". But, you're right. The entire subject of Susan has always been something of an enigma. Half of fandom believe she is something of an adopted child, calling The Doctor "grandfather" because (A) he raised her, and, (B) he was late into the elderly stage of his original incarnation by the time we first meet the character. The other half have always subscribed to the notion that she is, indeed, his granddaughter. I'm in the latter camp, myself. To me, it would be absurd to think he had lived so many centuries, and had never once fallen in love or fathered a child. Tennant's line just pretty much confirmed it, is all.

I, for one, would hope we see Susan again someday. She was a Time Lord, after all. Therefore, any modern actress could play her in a new incarnation. Although, it would be so much more effective if Carol Ann Ford (the original Susan) appeared in a regeneration scene...

Didn't realize you were following the series now, NM. Did you ever even try Eccleston's episodes?

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I, too, would like very much to see Susan ( Carol Ann Ford ) again. It would be a splendid nod to the very early days of this wonderfully long lived series.

As long as we're at it, how about a reunion with Barbara and Ian?

And...why not have Tom Baker do a guest spot?

life." - Tuvok.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Well, Jaqueline Hill (Barbara) is dead. But, William Russel (Ian) is still alive and active. I, too, would simply love a visit to an elderly Ian. You could just have it mirror real life, and Barbara died a few years back of natural causes, after they had a lifetime together. What really striked me as unique about Ian & Barb, is that they are the very first (as far as we know) human companions The Doctor ever had. What was the rest of their life like, hearing or seeing alien things happening around the world, and knowing The Doctor was out there? Not to mention, how would Ian....the character that was the "young, action hero" to Hartnell's "elderly Doctor".....react to the character now appearing younger than he ever was during their time together? In other words, the tables would be reversed. That's something I would like to see explored.

Also, of note, I would love to see The Doctor attend the Brigadier's deathbed, and be there as he breathed his last. The actor (Nicholas Courtney) isn't getting any younger. And, it would be nice to have some closure on a character that's appeared with every Doc (except Eccleston).

Of course, I know all of the above is merely a pipedream, best suited for novels and such. But, I can still wish...

Baker has stated that he would be happy to appear on the new show.......................as The Master! I'm not lying. He really said he wanted to play The Master.

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Quote:

Prometheus said:
Well, Jaqueline Hill (Barbara) is dead. But, William Russel (Ian) is still alive and active. I, too, would simply love a visit to an elderly Ian. You could just have it mirror real life, and Barbara died a few years back of natural causes, after they had a lifetime together. What really striked me as unique about Ian & Barb, is that they are the very first (as far as we know) human companions The Doctor ever had. What was the rest of their life like, hearing or seeing alien things happening around the world, and knowing The Doctor was out there? Not to mention, how would Ian....the character that was the "young, action hero" to Hartnell's "elderly Doctor".....react to the character now appearing younger than he ever was during their time together? In other words, the tables would be reversed. That's something I would like to see explored.

Also, of note, I would love to see The Doctor attend the Brigadier's deathbed, and be there as he breathed his last. The actor (Nicholas Courtney) isn't getting any younger. And, it would be nice to have some closure on a character that's appeared with every Doc (except Eccleston).

Of course, I know all of the above is merely a pipedream, best suited for novels and such. But, I can still wish...

Baker has stated that he would be happy to appear on the new show.......................as The Master! I'm not lying. He really said he wanted to play The Master.

Did you ever see Tom Baker play the evil magician in The Golden Voyage Of Sinbad? He did an outstanding job of playing the bad guy there. I would love to see him portray the Master.

Hell, I'd want him back in the series under any (Reasonable ) capacity!!!!

life." - Tuvok.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Yeah, any Baker is good Baker, imho...

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Hey, Pro,I cannot post pics here yet..If I take a pic of a Dr Who ( Tom Baker era ) drawing I did of the Dr., Leela, and K - 9, could I private it to you and would you post it?

Thanks!!

life." - Tuvok.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Absolutely Jerry...

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
I'm not really watching Doctor Who as such, it was just that they had a double header on one channel & I couldnt see anything better to watch!

As I say, if I can find the Ecclestone set cheap enough in DVD, I will prolly buy it!

Now onto Daddy Who!
Now if you think about it, we have heard stories of there only being 13 regenerations (thats the right number yes?), so maybe after Ecclestons short run, the BBC are hedging their bets & setting up a potential son of Doctor Who incase Tennant fucks off early as well (and anyone else).

As for Baker as the Master, now that works on sooooo many levels!
Firstly the idea that the Master could regenerate into an identical image of one of the Doctors could create all sorts of ideas about just who exactly the Timelords are.

Or maybe the Master could just get plastic surgery as part of a dastardly plan.

Either way it could make for a story where the Doctor meets the Master but is maybe initially fooled into thinking that somehow he has met a previous regeneration.

With the new assistant, whats weird about this over any previous actor with multiple roles is that she was announced just days after this episode aired, so although her role wasnt huge, it was fresh in peoples minds, and of the supporting cast, she was actually quite prominant!

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
So was Colin when only a guest star on Peter's Who. He even played a Timelord.

Also he shot Peter.

Anyhow if the time ever comes I think the writers will cheat and just give him another thirteen regenerations.

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Quote:

Nowhereman said:
I'm not really watching Doctor Who as such, it was just that they had a double header on one channel & I couldnt see anything better to watch!

As I say, if I can find the Ecclestone set cheap enough in DVD, I will prolly buy it!

Now onto Daddy Who!
Now if you think about it, we have heard stories of there only being 13 regenerations (thats the right number yes?), so maybe after Ecclestons short run, the BBC are hedging their bets & setting up a potential son of Doctor Who incase Tennant fucks off early as well (and anyone else).

As for Baker as the Master, now that works on sooooo many levels!
Firstly the idea that the Master could regenerate into an identical image of one of the Doctors could create all sorts of ideas about just who exactly the Timelords are.

Or maybe the Master could just get plastic surgery as part of a dastardly plan.

Either way it could make for a story where the Doctor meets the Master but is maybe initially fooled into thinking that somehow he has met a previous regeneration.

With the new assistant, whats weird about this over any previous actor with multiple roles is that she was announced just days after this episode aired, so although her role wasnt huge, it was fresh in peoples minds, and of the supporting cast, she was actually quite prominant!

EXCELLENT!! I like those ideas!!!

life." - Tuvok.

Page 15 of 137 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 136 137

Link Copied to Clipboard