Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 24 of 137 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 136 137
The Once, and Future Cunt
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
If you go to the site and look at the Coming Soon at the end it looks as though Peter Davison is going to guest star next season.

However it doesn't look like he is reprising his role as the fifth Doctor.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
At the end of the preview they showed at the end of tonights show, there was a totally black Dalek!
I wonder if it steals cars, pimps female Daleks & does drugs?

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
It looks as though Tennant says "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!" like nine thousand times next season.

I'll certainly look forward to that.

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Darth Vader said " NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"
once and things exploded!

"I offer you a Vulcan prayer, Mr Suder. May your

death bring you the peace you never found in

life." - Tuvok.

Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
I got the Season One set today for Christmas!

Knutreturns said: Spoken like the true Greatest RDCW Champ!

All hail King Snarf!

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Cool!

life." - Tuvok.

Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Yes. I initially asked for that, then changed it to something else, noting how expensive it was. Mom got it for me anyway, the sweet woman.

All hail King Snarf!

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
You have a terrific Mom! Does she watch the show?

life." - Tuvok.

Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
No. This is one of those things she tends to roll her eyes at when I mention it....

All hail King Snarf!

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Well, you know she loves you when she buys you something she rolls her eyes at!

My mom won't watch Dr Who at all. She will watch Star Trek shows, but only if I watch 'em with her.

She calls the show " That stupid Mr. Who Show. "

Enjoy the episodes!

life." - Tuvok.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
So any reviews of the Runaway Bride? Spoil me pleeeease!

BTW received some of the new Doctor Who toys. Like the Rose figure from season 2 with K-9. All of them are pretty spiffy though. The 9th Doctor & first season Rose are stuck in preposes though. The werewolf from season 1 is really huge. Character Options has done a nice job with selection. Beyond the big name bad guys (Cybermen & Daleks) they've also done many of the other villians in the series. Not sure if I mentioned it previously but I've seen preorders for the plastic mannequins from the first episode & also a clock work man. Hopefully I'll be able to pick up the Tardis set in the near future to display them all with.

Fair play!
Sex Offender Since 1978
3000+ posts
Sex Offender Since 1978
3000+ posts
Quote:

Matter-eater Man said:
So any reviews of the Runaway Bride? Spoil me pleeeease!

BTW received some of the new Doctor Who toys. Like the Rose figure from season 2 with K-9. All of them are pretty spiffy though. The 9th Doctor & first season Rose are stuck in preposes though. The werewolf from season 1 is really huge. Character Options has done a nice job with selection. Beyond the big name bad guys (Cybermen & Daleks) they've also done many of the other villians in the series. Not sure if I mentioned it previously but I've seen preorders for the plastic mannequins from the first episode & also a clock work man. Hopefully I'll be able to pick up the Tardis set in the near future to display them all with.

My Review of the Runaway bride is as follows.

The Episode would have been fucking great if Russel T Davies didn't write it.
If I have to listen to one more Script from him where he has the Docotr practically jerking off about the wonders of Humans i am going to vomit.

The Premise of the episode was pretty good, He does get a little to emotional about the whole Rose thing throught the episode. But again Suspect that just is Ruseel T Davies injecting to much estrogen laced dialog as is his custom. I look for to Season 29 being written by mostly other people other then Russel T Davies.

Here's to hoping.

I brew beer now. Brewing beer is cool.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Thanks. I just watched it myself. I totally loved it but then I guess I've also liked other episodes that you guys tend to not care for so much. The villian dialogue seemed a little cheesy but otherwise it was a thoroughly enjoyable episode.

Fair play!
Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts

Yeah, I just watched it.

PROS:
  • I've got to say, compared to last year's Christmas Invasion, this blew it out of the water. It wasn't the best Who, old or new. But, it kept up its end of the bargain by keeping me entertained.

And, it's well obvious that Tennant is really starting to hit his stride as Doc 10. He seemed worlds more comfortable in this one episode than in most of last season. I especially enjoyed the hint of the damaged/dark alien lurking beneath the school-boy exterior. Nicely played.

• As an American, I have no idea who Catherine Tate is outside of this show. Therefore, I really dug her. "Donna" was the most UN-annoying throwback to the Tegan Jovanka era of loud, brash, bat-shit-crazy companions. Not to mention, she was genuinely funny in places and delivery ("Santa's a robot!"). So, all in all, bravo to that chick. She did it for me. And, much to her credit, not once did I miss Billie/Rose.

CONS:
  • Davies, as BK said, stop circle-jerking to the human race. We're neat. We're amazing. We're tenacious. We get it. Move on.

• TARDIS, you are an amazing machine. Stop now. Don't get too amazing, or you might tread on becoming amazingly ridiculous. Science Fiction can only bend so far until the science becomes magic, and the fiction becomes nonsense. Davies, modern children are much smarter in the age of computers and iPods. When even they start calling bullshit, you know you've gone too far into silly.

• Kids "cheering" the Doctor on. Once again, kids=generally intelligent. They don't need to be told which part to root for their hero. And the adults watching want to avoid becoming spontaneously diabetic. Easy on the naval-gazing and back-patting with those moments.

• Aliens drilled to the center of the Earth.

Take a moment.

Aliens drilled to the center of the fucking p l a n e t.

Davies, thumbs up on dialogue and ideas. But, for the love of Pertwee, hand off the scientific explanations and concepts to someone who's graduated High School, okay?

The center. Planet. Big hole.

.....................right.

• Was the alien spastic, orgasmic, or just being played by a blind actress? She swayed more than Stevie Wonder in an earthquake.

So, overall, Doctor Who: The Runaway Bride : B-

Nowhere near a "classic", yet, leaps and bounds over last year's invasion of the cheese. And, yes, I know what Doc 10 would say here:

"That's impossible!!"

No, Davies, you overdramatic twat. It's not impossible. Merely improbable. Fuck, buy a thesaurus...

Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
I have no problem with "That's impossible" as a tag line; as I see it, not everything that Eccleston saw as the Doctor fit the definition of "fantastic".

Having just watched the two-parter that introduces Capt. Jack (The Doctor Dances and... the... other episode before it), I've come to the conclusion that they need to give Moffat more control over the show, perhaps making him co-executive producer with Davies. Those two episodes, and this season's "Girl in the Fireplace" were off the hook.

All hail King Snarf!

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Quote:

King Snarf said:
I have no problem with "That's impossible" as a tag line; as I see it, not everything that Eccleston saw as the Doctor fit the definition of "fantastic".

Having just watched the two-parter that introduces Capt. Jack (The Doctor Dances and... the... other episode before it), I've come to the conclusion that they need to give Moffat more control over the show, perhaps making him co-executive producer with Davies. Those two episodes, and this season's "Girl in the Fireplace" were off the hook.

Girl In The Fireplace is a fantastic episode!

life." - Tuvok.

Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
That's what I was originally going to say, then realized I'd sound exactly like Eccleston's Doctor.

All hail King Snarf!

Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Yeah, it seems to be universal consensus that Stephen Moffat more than deserves to take control of that series. The problem is, even if/when RTD leaves, I doubt the BBC could offer Moffat the right kind of deal to do it. He creates shows for the BBC all the time. He's the "It" man. He even created "Coupling", which is the UK show that "FRIENDS" was based from. So, you know, it's a sincere longshot that he would constrain himself to writing and making one show. But, FUCK, it would be exactly what this series needs. He's the modern Douglas Adams...

Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
Quote:

Prometheus said:
He even created "Coupling", which is the UK show that "FRIENDS" was based from.

No. "Friends" was on the air a full six years before "Coupling" hit the BBC.

If anything, 'Coupling' was based on "Friends," and "Friends" was created as a mixup of "Seinfeld" and the movie "Singles."

Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
The only show based on Coupling was the American flop version of Coupling.

All hail King Snarf!

Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
Quote:

Prometheus said:
He even created "Coupling", which is the UK show that "FRIENDS" was based from.

No. "Friends" was on the air a full six years before "Coupling" hit the BBC.

If anything, 'Coupling' was based on "Friends," and "Friends" was created as a mixup of "Seinfeld" and the movie "Singles."

Ah, okay. Fair enough. I didn't realize I had that backwards.

Still doesn't diminish his feats as a writer, though...

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Catherine Tate is not funny in the slightest but lots of people think she is for some reason!

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Quote:

Prometheus said:....
  • As an American, I have no idea who Catherine Tate is outside of this show. Therefore, I really dug her. "Donna" was the most UN-annoying throwback to the Tegan Jovanka era of loud, brash, bat-shit-crazy companions. Not to mention, she was genuinely funny in places and delivery ("Santa's a robot!"). So, all in all, bravo to that chick. She did it for me. And, much to her credit, not once did I miss Billie/Rose.[/LIST]

• I dug around for reviews before I got the chance to see it. Apparently Tate is a big star over there but isn't "loved". I liked her to and never really cared for the Tegan types myself. She was a fun character & hope we see her again in the show.

Quote:

CONS:
    • Davies, as BK said, stop circle-jerking to the human race. We're neat. We're amazing. We're tenacious. We get it. Move on.

• TARDIS, you are an amazing machine. Stop now. Don't get too amazing, or you might tread on becoming amazingly ridiculous. Science Fiction can only bend so far until the science becomes magic, and the fiction becomes nonsense. Davies, modern children are much smarter in the age of computers and iPods. When even they start calling bullshit, you know you've gone too far into silly.

• Kids "cheering" the Doctor on. Once again, kids=generally intelligent. They don't need to be told which part to root for their hero. And the adults watching want to avoid becoming spontaneously diabetic. Easy on the naval-gazing and back-patting with those moments.

• Aliens drilled to the center of the Earth.

Take a moment.

Aliens drilled to the center of the fucking p l a n e t.

Davies, thumbs up on dialogue and ideas. But, for the love of Pertwee, hand off the scientific explanations and concepts to someone who's graduated High School, okay?

The center. Planet. Big hole.

.....................right.

• Was the alien spastic, orgasmic, or just being played by a blind actress? She swayed more than Stevie Wonder in an earthquake.

So, overall, Doctor Who: The Runaway Bride : B-

Nowhere near a "classic", yet, leaps and bounds over last year's invasion of the cheese. And, yes, I know what Doc 10 would say here:

"That's impossible!!"

No, Davies, you overdramatic twat. It's not impossible. Merely improbable. Fuck, buy a thesaurus...

I agree with your cons except I did enjoy the kids cheering the doc. It just emphasized the moment for me.

Fair play!
    15000+ posts
    15000+ posts

Fair Play!
    15000+ posts
    Fair Play!
    15000+ posts
    Quote:

Ultimate Jaburg53 said:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/ar...in_page_id=1773

Congrats to Captain Jack...
    Quote:

John Barrowman and partner tie the knot
    John Barrowman, the star of Doctor Who spin-off Torchwood, today tied the knot in a civil partnership with his long term partner.
    Mr Barrowman, 39, and British architect Scott Gill held the ceremony at the luxury five-star St David's Hotel and Spa in Cardiff Bay.
    Scottish born Barrowman plays Captain Jack Harkness in the hit BBC science fiction show Torchwood.
    The programme, set in Cardiff, is aimed at a more adult audience than BBC 1 family favourite Dr Who.
    Around 40 people attended the private ceremony at function room in the hotel. Susan Anderson, Marketing Manager at the hotel said: "It was a lovely ceremony, it went very well.
    "It was private event and attended by family and friends only - the couple seemed very happy." The St David's Hotel and Spa claims to be "The most prestigious five star hotel in Wales."
    Barrowman, who was raised in Illinois in the United States, has previously appeared in entertainment shows Live and Kicking and How Do You Solve a Problem Like Maria?
    He is currently appearing in pantomime in Cardiff where he is playing Jack in a production of Jack and the Beanstalk.
    Speaking about the civil partnership Barrowman previously told the BBC: "Our relationship was legitimate for us a long time ago.
    "We have been spending most of our time together. The ceremony is because we have the right to be recognised as a couple.
    "It forces people who don't want to recognise same-sex relationships as legitimate, it forces them to do so."
    Since December 2005, gay couples have had the right to form a civil partnership; a public and legal recognition of their commitment to each other.

Fair play!
    rex Offline
    Who will I break next?
    15000+ posts
    Who will I break next?
    15000+ posts
    I didn't know he was really gay. I thought the whole gay angle he was going for in Doctor Who was supposed to be a play on Tom Cruise, who I think looks just like him.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
    rex #480731 2006-12-29 5:20 AM
    Award-Winning Author
    10000+ posts
    Award-Winning Author
    10000+ posts
    He's living the gimmick!

All hail King Snarf!

Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
    15000+ posts
    Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
    15000+ posts
    I never knew Billie piper did this?????

Pig Iran #480733 2006-12-29 11:37 AM
    100+ posts
    100+ posts
    Quote:

Pig Iron said:

My sister got the single for this (the video clip was incorporated as an extra)

If I knew that Billie would one day star in my all time favourite TV show, I would have kept the comments about the video clip being a vivid LSD trip to myself ...

Regenerated
    15000+ posts
    OP Offline
    Regenerated
    15000+ posts
    Quote:

Pig Iron said:

Piper was the UK's answer to Brittany Spears years before she became an actress...

Hip To Be Square
    15000+ posts
    Hip To Be Square
    15000+ posts

Hip To Be Square
    15000+ posts
    Hip To Be Square
    15000+ posts

Regenerated
    15000+ posts
    OP Offline
    Regenerated
    15000+ posts
    Quote:

Nowhereman said:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Doctor-Who-Begin...=UTF8&s=dvd

It shall be mine...

Prometheus #480738 2007-01-04 6:51 PM
    living in 1962
    15000+ posts
    living in 1962
    15000+ posts
    Quote:

Prometheus said:
    Yeah, that's no surprise, really. Tennant has stated numerous times that his Doctor when he was growing up was Davison. Hell, he even wears the tennis shoes, as such. Davison even visited the set of The Christmas Invasion to wish him good luck.

As far as the whole weaker aspect, I certainly understand that. It's hard to accept such drastic change between Doctors. Davison was a great Doctor. However, when you set him up against Baker, he'll always appear weaker. Same with Tennant and Eccleston.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not that super-keen on Tennant, myself. He plays the part in ways that I've never enjoyed from other incarnations. However, as with all Docs, I can't say that he's "bad". He's just different. Coming right after Eccleston...and with Chris leaving us still wanting more....it's almost impossible for ANYone to compare.

I, too, look forward to future Docs. Still, it doesn't keep me from enjoying most of the episodes, and the Doc himself.

Again, I implore you, watch the two-part season finale. It's worth it for many reasons, if nothing else to see Tennant's emotional range expand a bit. Thinks get dark...

You know, it had a lot of potential. An EPIC setup and Davies pisses it all away with the same pedestrian by the numbers execution. Tennant's Doctor is so all knowing and blithely strides through everything so that you just wonder why anyone feels there's ever any real danger at all.

I loved the first meeting of the Cybermen and the Daleks, but the whole fanboy "see the Daleks are so much superior to the Cybermen" just kills any real suspense. I was hoping for an EPIC battle here and the show completely fails to deliver on the promise.

Plus, how many times can Davies go back to the well of pulling Daleks out of his arse? I admit, this was a clever one, but how many more times will they be "destroyed for good?" only to unexpectedly reappear?

Mickie's evolution was ok, but I would've probably gotten more out of it if I'd seen more of the season.

Rose's dad showed more emotion in one episode than I've seen out of Tennant in the five that I've seen. Reminded me of Bruce Willis for some reason. He was cool.

I doubt I'll stick around for the next season. The things that really grabbed me during the Eccleston run are pretty much gone.

Grimm #480739 2007-01-04 7:17 PM
    Regenerated
    15000+ posts
    OP Offline
    Regenerated
    15000+ posts

I'll let you know when a new regeneration occurs...

Grimm #480740 2007-01-04 7:39 PM
    Timelord. Drunkard.
    15000+ posts
    Timelord. Drunkard.
    15000+ posts
    Quote:

Grimm said:
    Quote:

Prometheus said:
    Yeah, that's no surprise, really. Tennant has stated numerous times that his Doctor when he was growing up was Davison. Hell, he even wears the tennis shoes, as such. Davison even visited the set of The Christmas Invasion to wish him good luck.

As far as the whole weaker aspect, I certainly understand that. It's hard to accept such drastic change between Doctors. Davison was a great Doctor. However, when you set him up against Baker, he'll always appear weaker. Same with Tennant and Eccleston.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not that super-keen on Tennant, myself. He plays the part in ways that I've never enjoyed from other incarnations. However, as with all Docs, I can't say that he's "bad". He's just different. Coming right after Eccleston...and with Chris leaving us still wanting more....it's almost impossible for ANYone to compare.

I, too, look forward to future Docs. Still, it doesn't keep me from enjoying most of the episodes, and the Doc himself.

Again, I implore you, watch the two-part season finale. It's worth it for many reasons, if nothing else to see Tennant's emotional range expand a bit. Thinks get dark...

You know, it had a lot of potential. An EPIC setup and Davies pisses it all away with the same pedestrian by the numbers execution. Tennant's Doctor is so all knowing and blithely strides through everything so that you just wonder why anyone feels there's ever any real danger at all.

I loved the first meeting of the Cybermen and the Daleks, but the whole fanboy "see the Daleks are so much superior to the Cybermen" just kills any real suspense. I was hoping for an EPIC battle here and the show completely fails to deliver on the promise.

Plus, how many times can Davies go back to the well of pulling Daleks out of his arse? I admit, this was a clever one, but how many more times will they be "destroyed for good?" only to unexpectedly reappear?

Mickie's evolution was ok, but I would've probably gotten more out of it if I'd seen more of the season.

Rose's dad showed more emotion in one episode than I've seen out of Tennant in the five that I've seen. Reminded me of Bruce Willis for some reason. He was cool.

I doubt I'll stick around for the next season. The things that really grabbed me during the Eccleston run are pretty much gone.

Essentially Grimm, Cross, and my drunken conversation the other night. Tennant's too "I've got that solved" as the Doctor. There really is no fighting for it. Davies is just coming off as a fanboy bringing his Doctor Who fan fiction to life. Other writers have done a lot more for Tennant than Davies has as far as giving his Doctor range. Too much know-it-all, too much TARDIS as a plot device to fix shit, and spending too much time close to home (Earth).

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
    It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
    This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
    thedoctor #480741 2007-01-04 7:53 PM
    Hip To Be Square
    15000+ posts
    Hip To Be Square
    15000+ posts
    The Earth thing isnt a fault you can aim soley at Tennants run though.
    I had the same issue with Ecclestons run.

Back in the day, Baker et al would rarely spend any time on Earth, or in the current era, but since the revamp, both Eccleston & Tennant spend nearly every episode on Earth or in a reletively similar time period!

Personally I like Tennant for all the reasons you guys dislike him!
    I like the fact he is more knowledgeable or cocky (depends on how you look at it).
    I also like the fact that he has a really dark side, and seems more inclined to kill than any other Doctor, something that if the writers had any sense, could lead to a future possible dark regeneration or even be how Tennant ends his run!

Nöwheremän #480742 2007-01-04 7:55 PM
    Award-Winning Author
    10000+ posts
    Award-Winning Author
    10000+ posts
    I like the dark side too. It actually establishes a touch of continuity between Eccleston's and Tennant's portrayals.

All hail King Snarf!

Nöwheremän #480743 2007-01-04 8:02 PM
    Timelord. Drunkard.
    15000+ posts
    Timelord. Drunkard.
    15000+ posts
    Quote:

Nowhereman said:
    The Earth thing isnt a fault you can aim soley at Tennants run though.
    I had the same issue with Ecclestons run.

Back in the day, Baker et al would rarely spend any time on Earth, or in the current era, but since the revamp, both Eccleston & Tennant spend nearly every episode on Earth or in a reletively similar time period!

I let it go for Eccleston's run because Davies said he wanted to slowly get people used to the idea. It was the second season. Time to jump out there more. Maybe with the Rose stuff put away now, he will.

Also, this is pretty much the same reason I'm not a fan of Pertwee's era. Nothing against the man or his performance, I just don't like a Doctor bound to the Earth.

Quote:

Nowhereman said:
    Personally I like Tennant for all the reasons you guys dislike him!
    I like the fact he is more knowledgeable or cocky (depends on how you look at it).
    I also like the fact that he has a really dark side, and seems more inclined to kill than any other Doctor, something that if the writers had any sense, could lead to a future possible dark regeneration or even be how Tennant ends his run!

I don't mind cocky. Colin Baker's Doctor was cocky, and it got him into all kinds of trouble. Tom Baker's Doctor was very egotistical and also led to him missing important clues or coming to the wrong conclusions. If Tennant was wrong a little more often, I'd be cool with it. And I, too, like the darker aspect of Tennant's Doctor since it was shown in the first Christmas Special. I just don't think Davies uses it enough. Other writers have explored that aspect and his willingness to take chances better as was shown in The Girl in the Fireplace and The Satan Pit.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
    It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
    This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
    Page 24 of 137 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 136 137

Link Copied to Clipboard