Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Living the dream
15000+ posts
Living the dream
15000+ posts
Well, the one thing everyone seems to be in agreement about Holmes. The childhood friend turned love interest was a good subplot, but Kate Holmes wasn't the chick for the job. Her dialogue was far too verbose for the kind of actress she is. I now believe she was forced into the movie to bring in the teenage punks and princesses.

The other complaint...the theme. I love the Elfman theme. Classic, dark, unfortunately it's been called dated. I disagree. A much smaller complaint was the volume in the theater I went too. It was too loud...but maybe I'm just getting old.

Otherwise this movie was fucking perfect. The villains got away (I was afraid Scarecrow would be killed off), great Batman moments, spot on casting (the fat cop reminded me of Bullock), sweet moments at the end tying up the movie, and Chicago used as a backdrop for the flick. I did see the Tribune tower in there. And was that Lower Whacker and I-88? Sweet home Chicago baby!

Let Batman fever continue. I'm out.

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Quote:

Jeremy said:
A much smaller complaint was the volume in the theater I went too. It was too loud...but maybe I'm just getting old.

I think the volume was too loud when I saw it also. Some of the others there mentioned it as well. It was also too loud during the previews. It wasn't too bad, but noticeable.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
I can't wait to see this on imax.

I preferred it to spider-man 2 and x-2 (not by much mind you), but Batman is my favorite. Holmes surprised me, because she didn't annoy me. I didn't love her character, but most important, she didn't annoy me. The Liam Neeson stuff was great and I can't believe I didn't see it coming--I always see that stuff coming.

I don't know if I heard right but did a bystander say the tumbler was a giant dick? If so that was dumb.

This was Batman, and I loved the small details..the reason why the suit worked and was functional, the inner reasons why he became Batman, Nolan is amazing. Amazing how a great director can get great performances out of his cast.

Everyone else has already said the main points I'll add...
This is The Batman.

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
Bowie should play the Joker.

Cept he's too old now.

I hate to brag, but I actually saw the twist with the guy who looks like R'as turning out to actually be R'as in the end coming.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
This is the best Batmovie ever. It made Batman seem more real and human. It really focused on what makes Batman Batman in a world of superpowered heroes. He's only human and has limitations. I loved that it took other people, Alfred, Lucious, Rachel, to keep him from going over the edge. To make him think things through instead of just goining balls out like he originally wanted to. Great acting, except for Holmes, great direction. Bale was both Batman and Bruce Wayne. Great way to incorporate both the Scarecrow and Ras into a more realistic setting as well. Everything else was spot on. Batman with a sense of humor. Great characterizations all around.

I only had two problems with the film. The first is the usual superhero cliche with the girl finding out his secret ID (no problem what-so-ever with Lucious finding out. And secondly, I felt the Wayne death came too quick. They literally stepped out of the door and to their deaths. An extra fifteen second build up wouldn't have killed them.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
faggot
15000+ posts
faggot
15000+ posts
well... technically...

Old men, fear me! You will shatter under my ruthless apathetic assault!

Uschi - 2
Old Men - 0

"I am convinced that this world is of no importance, and that the only people who care about dates are imbeciles and Spanish teachers." -- Jean Arp, 1921

"If Jesus came back and saw what people are doing in his name, he would never never stop throwing up." - Max von Sydow, "Hannah and Her Sisters"
Kneel!
10000+ posts
Kneel!
10000+ posts
loved it and imax made me love it even more
most-def the movie we have been waiting for (cause u know we've been waiting for some time)No real bad remarks cause i know that in hollywood ur gonna get some crap thats just unavoidable.

big_pimp_tim-made it cool to roll in the first damn place!
Mon Jun 11 2007 09:27 PM-harley finally rolled with me
"I'm working with him...he's young but, there is much potential. He can apprentice with me and then he's yours for final training. He will remember the face of his father...

Some day, Knutreturns just may be the greatest of us all...."-THE bastard
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Favorite Line from Batman Begins :

" It's not just who you are inside, it's your actions that say the most about you. " .........or something very close to that.

"I offer you a Vulcan prayer, Mr Suder. May your

death bring you the peace you never found in

life." - Tuvok.

kung-fu treachery
5000+ posts
kung-fu treachery
5000+ posts
Flass: I..I swear to god

Batman: SWEAR TO ME!!!!

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Quote:

Ultimate Jaburg53 said:
Dear Fanboys who furrowed thier brows at an asian Ras Al Ghul,

Who's laughing now you picky little shits?

Your friend who was a better Jedi in this film than the one I actully played a Jedi in,

Liam Neeson

PS:
Katie Holmes is funny looking.

It's funny because it's true!

MisterJLA is RACKing awesome.
10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Quote:

Beardguy57 said:

" It's not just who you are inside, it's your actions that say the most about you. " .........or something very close to that.

It's a good saying and certainly true, but I didn't like that much because it's kind of cliche. That's the kind of line I would have expected to hear in Spiderman, where dialogue that makes you want to scrape your eyes out is commonplace.

The Once, and Future Cunt
15000+ posts
The Once, and Future Cunt
15000+ posts
Quote:

Animalman said:
Quote:

Ultimate Jaburg53 said:
Dear Fanboys who furrowed thier brows at an asian Ras Al Ghul,

Who's laughing now you picky little shits?

Your friend who was a better Jedi in this film than the one I actully played a Jedi in,

Liam Neeson

PS:
Katie Holmes is funny looking.

It's funny because it's true!

I noticed Christopher Nolan and the writers played off the fans expectations alot. Begins really had some moments of true genius.

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
I didn't have as many geekout moments as I did with X2, but I enjoyed it a lot as a movie, which is just as important, if not moreso. At some point you have to stop pandering to fans and actually try to make a good film. That's what I thought Nolan did.

The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

Animalman said:
At some point you have to stop pandering to fans and actually try to make a good film. That's what I thought Nolan did.

Do you think, however, that the original origin was better than this one?

Just curious.

Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
*** You are ignoring this user ***

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
*** You are ignoring yourself. ***

life." - Tuvok.

living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
Quote:

Glacier16 said:

Aweshome.

Peacock Teaser
3000+ posts
Peacock Teaser
3000+ posts
Quote:

thedoctor said:
And secondly, I felt the Wayne death came too quick. They literally stepped out of the door and to their deaths. An extra fifteen second build up wouldn't have killed them.

Actually, I still think it would have killed them...

Awesome movie, I'm so glad I got to see it Wednesday. It wasn't a good superhero movie, it was a good movie. Period. Which is how things should be.

"You're either lying or stupid."
"I'm stupid! I'm stupid!"
Megatron and Starscream
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
Quote:

Animalman said:
Quote:

Beardguy57 said:

It's a good saying and certainly true, but I didn't like that much because it's kind of cliche. That's the kind of line I would have expected to hear in Spiderman, where dialogue that makes you want to scrape your eyes out is commonplace.

I hate the use of lines like that, delivered in two or three key moments in the movie in different contexts to cause emotivity. That's handbook stuff.

kung-fu treachery
5000+ posts
kung-fu treachery
5000+ posts
Quote:

Glacier16 said:

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Quote:

Pariah said:
Do you think, however, that the original origin was better than this one?

Just curious.

Which part are we talking about, here?

5000+ posts
5000+ posts
Quote:

Glacier16 said:

That line made the movie.

<sub>Will Eisner's last work - The Plot: The Secret Story of the Protocols of the Elders of Zion
RDCW Profile

"Well, as it happens, I wrote the damned SOP," Illescue half snarled, "and as of now, you can bar those jackals from any part of this facility until Hell's a hockey rink! Is that perfectly clear?!" - Dr. Franz Illescue - Honor Harrington: At All Costs

"I don't know what I'm do, or how I do, I just do." - Alexander Ovechkin</sub>
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
That IS a GREAT line!

life." - Tuvok.

faggot
15000+ posts
faggot
15000+ posts
It would have been better if the scene was scarier... the yo-yo effect had me in stitches.

Old men, fear me! You will shatter under my ruthless apathetic assault!

Uschi - 2
Old Men - 0

"I am convinced that this world is of no importance, and that the only people who care about dates are imbeciles and Spanish teachers." -- Jean Arp, 1921

"If Jesus came back and saw what people are doing in his name, he would never never stop throwing up." - Max von Sydow, "Hannah and Her Sisters"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

Animalman said:

Batman not knowing who his parents' killer is instead of Bruce Wayne knowing and deciding to gun the guy down. The faceless killer is like definitive and notably crucial to every comic version of Batman there is.

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Quote:

Pariah said:
Quote:

Animalman said:

Batman not knowing who his parents' killer is instead of Bruce Wayne knowing and deciding to gun the guy down. The faceless killer is like definitive and notably crucial to every comic version of Batman there is.

I observed that fact, too. I did find it a bit odd, but that's movies for you, changing details......

life." - Tuvok.

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
I liked that. It would be the normal reaction to gun down the killer if he was going free.
Then fate stepped in and saved him from making that mistake, and the speech from Daws drove home what his parents would want.
The whole point of the movie was showing how he became Batman and why, not silver age logic of "my parents are dead, I'll dress as a bat. 'nuff said."

Bow ties are coool.
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts

Now, can someone tell me why Bale didn't have nipples on his suit?
That makes no sense to me. How am I supposed to know whether or not he has nipples underneath unless i see them on the costume.

Bow ties are coool.
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I rather prefer the nipple - less suit. Nipples on a man's suit of armor? Not needed.

life." - Tuvok.

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:
I liked that. It would be the normal reaction to gun down the killer if he was going free.
Then fate stepped in and saved him from making that mistake, and the speech from Daws drove home what his parents would want.
The whole point of the movie was showing how he became Batman and why, not silver age logic of "my parents are dead, I'll dress as a bat. 'nuff said."

That's just it. The Silver age ended 36 years ago, and Batman was created in 1937...almost 70 years ago!

Guess it was time to update a few things about the Bat....

life." - Tuvok.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:

It destroys the element of the character. If they're basing a movie on a character they didn't make, the least they could do, logically, is get the origin correct so people can experience a film with the real person. You wouldn't change Long Jon Silver or Scarlet O'hara. Why do it to Batman?

And it's not simply logic of "my parents are dead, I'll dress as a bat. 'nuff said." It wasn't just his parents dying that led him to crime-fighting in a Bat-suit. It was falling in the cave and seeing the Bat, Mask of Zorro, the perfect family, watching the perfect family get gunned down and die (the gun in the murder is definitive as well. Show's why he wouldn't use a gun), and then there's the faceless killer that represents Gotham and its contagion of crime--And especially how it breeds insanity within Gotham (See also: Joker, See also: Scarecrow, See also: Two-Face). Batman's a victim just like them. His character's ability to empathize with them along with the idea that he fights not to protect, but because it's simply in the nature of the Bat is what makes his character unique...Notable.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

Beardguy57 said:
That's just it. The Silver age ended 36 years ago, and Batman was created in 1937...almost 70 years ago!

Guess it was time to update a few things about the Bat....

It wasn't just silver age (until it hit camp of course), it was also the golden age--Even now.

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I see Batman as a victim, too. He's a prisoner of his need for vengence, and his inner hurt from the death of his parents. And it WAS strange to see justice when his parent's killer was gunned down, in a Lee Harvey Oswald fashion.

Changing the premise of his parent's murder is like changing how Superman was sent to Earth, or making him from a planet OTHER than Krypton..it was not nessecary....

life." - Tuvok.

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I'm kind of hoping they don't bring Robin into the series.
And if they MUST, they wait a few more movies before they do. Want to see Bats on his own and his personality explored a bit more as a Solo act...

life." - Tuvok.

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Quote:

Pariah said:
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:

It destroys the element of the character. If they're basing a movie on a character they didn't make, the least they could do, logically, is get the origin correct so people can experience a film with the real person. You wouldn't change Long Jon Silver or Scarlet O'hara. Why do it to Batman?

And it's not simply logic of "my parents are dead, I'll dress as a bat. 'nuff said." It wasn't just his parents dying that led him to crime-fighting in a Bat-suit. It was falling in the cave and seeing the Bat, Mask of Zorro, the perfect family, watching the perfect family get gunned down and die (the gun in the murder is definitive as well. Show's why he wouldn't use a gun), and then there's the faceless killer that represents Gotham and its contagion of crime--And especially how it breeds insanity within Gotham (See also: Joker, See also: Scarecrow, See also: Two-Face). Batman's a victim just like them. His character's ability to empathize with them along with the idea that he fights not to protect, but because it's simply in the nature of the Bat is what makes his character unique...Notable.

You're mixing your arguments and getting confused.
First you're agnry that they're changing things, then you're mad that the killer isn't "faceless." The idea of the faceless killer wasn't until Zero Hour, up till then (for over 40 years) Joe Chill was the killer.

Second, my main issue was that this movie shows why he became Batman, the logic of dressing up and fighting crime as opposed to him just dressing up for no other reason then his parents died like in the other movies.

"My parents are dead, I'll dress up as a bat." Was a dig at the other movies. Because this one got it right by incorporating all the elements into his origin, showing his evolution from traumatized boy to Batman.

It was a good movie, Pariah. Just the shut the hell up, okay?

Bow ties are coool.
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Quote:

Beardguy57 said:
I see Batman as a victim, too. He's a prisoner of his need for vengence, and his inner hurt from the death of his parents. And it WAS strange to see justice when his parent's killer was gunned down, in a Lee Harvey Oswald fashion.

Changing the premise of his parent's murder is like changing how Superman was sent to Earth, or making him from a planet OTHER than Krypton..it was not nessecary....

They didn't change the premise of his murder. They were killed by a mugger. All they did was state that the mugger was the result of an economic depression caused by Ras al Ghul. Not the same thing as the Joker killing them.

And the Superman analogy doesn't hold. As long as Krypton explodes and he's sent to Earth, its valid. Whether it was detroyed by a volcano, earthquake, or meteor doesn't really matter.
Nolan didn't have the Waynes die from a heart attack or a car crash, they were killed in a mugging.

Bow ties are coool.
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Quote:

Beardguy57 said:
I rather prefer the nipple - less suit. Nipples on a man's suit of armor? Not needed.

But he's Batman to honor both his parents.
The muscles and training are for his father. The nipples are for his mother.
Duh. Schumacher was the only one who understood Batman

Bow ties are coool.
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts

Quote:

Jeremy said:
A much smaller complaint was the volume in the theater I went too. It was too loud...but maybe I'm just getting old.

Quote:

rex said:
I think the volume was too loud when I saw it also. Some of the others there mentioned it as well. It was also too loud during the previews. It wasn't too bad, but noticeable.

Same problem in the theater I saw it in. Weird.

Saw it Saturday night. Overall, I liked it, but the sound made half the dialogue unintelligble. Also, I wasn't feeling well, so I didn't enjoy it as much as I might have.

My wife, however, had a good point: she said that they spent too much time saying out loud things that should be obvious from action, most notably, everyone blathering on and on about Bruce's motivation and why he chose Bats as a symbol.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:
You're mixing your arguments and getting confused.
First you're agnry that they're changing things, then you're mad that the killer isn't "faceless."

Uh....Losing the faceless killer is "changing things".

It's perhaps the most realistic and interesting origin there is, but Nolan junked it in favor of ninjas and an all knowing token love interest.

Quote:

The idea of the faceless killer wasn't until Zero Hour, up till then (for over 40 years) Joe Chill was the killer.

Actually, the working idea was around since O'neil's time and even Mike Barr, the resurrecter of Chill expressed to some degree the "faceless killer" variable in Year 2 and how it effected Bruce when he was going to off him with his own gun.

And as for the forties storyline, Batman himself never actually knew who Joe Chill was for decades after his parents were murdered by him. And even when he did figure out who he was, nothing was ever actually finalized. Just implied.

Quote:

Second, my main issue was that this movie shows why he became Batman, the logic of dressing up and fighting crime as opposed to him just dressing up for no other reason then his parents died like in the other movies.

And I completely disagree. Even though the other movies screwed up his origin as well, they at least kept what Nolan/Goyer decided to do away with--Which was the most logical development for why Bruce would cast on a Bat-suit. For every Bat-movie (and even in every era of the Bat-comics), there's an in depth psycho-analysis based on events he experienced that lead to his unique form of vigilantism. I find the movie creates a slippery slope in saying that he would dawn a Bat-suit since it's more realistic for him to just continue trying to kill people who come off as criminal.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Quote:

Pariah said:

I liked this origin. It's, even as Pariah admitted, realistic. It fits the movie. Nolan and Goyer knew where to seperate the comic from their movie. When to do their own thing, and this was one of the many good choices. It shows a young, obsessed Bruce who only has one thing in mind. He's confused and directionless. Events and people in his life help steer him from a self destructive path. They help open his eyes to the fact that the world isn't black and white. There are shades of grey that he has to understand if he's really going to make a difference. Comic writers have been playing with the Wayne murders for sixty years now. Why shouldn't Nolan and Goyer be allowed room to experiment with it themselves?

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard