For Obama, No News Is Good News

Obama, riding an astonishing wave of glowing publicity for a candidate 21 months from an election, already has a bubble around him that is tighter than the one that surrounded Texas Gov. George W. Bush, who spent long hours of the fledgling days of his candidacy in bull sessions with reporters.

A flier for DNC members said, “Senator Barack Obama Cordially invites you to an Evening Reception.” It was held in a medium-sized reception room.

Reporters were barred.

As Obama left the hotel reception, smiling and saying, “Thank you AGAIN,” I introduced myself and said, “Good evening, Senator, may I walk with you?” He replied, “You can walk with me. That doesn’t mean you can ask questions.” I chuckled, thinking he was kidding. “But you can certainly walk with me,” he added. The Senator then underscored, “I’m sorry. I’m not answering questions.”

What has he to hide? Is Obama so raw that he cannot parry with the press in a casual atmosphere?

One way to lose a Democratic presidential nomination is to alienate the press. Barack Hussein Obama seems well on his way toward that goal.